Papillion news

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Papillion news

Post by Coyote »

I was talking with Major Black about the Prairie Queen project, and he responded:
Really excited about Jerry's project... nothing like it the Midwest...

Put that into context with 2 more NRD structures, our Community Center, expanded park, continued historic downtown investment with some business .... Lincoln St from about 75th to 132nd will be an amazing corridor...
MTO
City Council

Re: Papillion news

Post by MTO »

Lincoln Rd?
15-17, 26, 32
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Right now it is lined with single family homes, recreation fields and a large nursing home complex. Not sure how any of that is "amazing".
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

nativeomahan wrote:Right now it is lined with single family homes, recreation fields and a large nursing home complex. Not sure how any of that is "amazing".
And Werner Park, Prairie Queen lake, Liberty Middle School, and the future lake. Will be nice when the construction is complete from 96th to 114th in the Spring…
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

jsheets wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Right now it is lined with single family homes, recreation fields and a large nursing home complex. Not sure how any of that is "amazing".
And Werner Park, Prairie Queen lake, Liberty Middle School, and the future lake. Will be nice when the construction is complete from 96th to 114th in the Spring…
Depends what one's definition of "amazing" is, I suppose, but you'll be able to ride your bike in a dedicated lane on Lincoln Road all the way from downtown Papillion to Prairie Queen lake/rec area, if I understand the plans correctly, which will be pretty amazing for a suburban area IMHO. In between is Werner Park, the new middle school, etc. There's already a bike lane from 114th to 132nd on Lincoln Road. The construction between 96th and 114th is underway now and will complete the bike lane (it's about 25 feet from my back door so I've been watching the progress up-close all summer :lol: )
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

They got nice street lights and nice paving and nice entrances to those lakes. No its nothing to brag about but it sure looks 100 times better then the entrances and areas around lake Standing Bear or Zorinsky or Chalco Hills. I feel it addresses the question of why do those Omaha dam sites have to look like such glorified weed patches.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

They got nice street lights and nice paving and nice entrances to those lakes. No its nothing to brag about but it sure looks 100 times better then the entrances and areas around lake Standing Bear or Zorinsky or Chalco Hills. I feel it addresses the question of why do those Omaha dam sites have to look like such glorified weed patches.
I helped plant those trees decades ago when I was in Boy Scouts. They mean a lot to me. They are not weed patches. They are designed to a different asctestic and were intended to fit a more rural image rather than Prairie Queen's entrance off the ball field and burbs.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

bigredmed wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

I helped plant those trees decades ago when I was in Boy Scouts. They mean a lot to me. They are not weed patches. They are designed to a different asctestic and were intended to fit a more rural image rather than Prairie Queen's entrance off the ball field and burbs.

Hey thanks for planting those trees and yes there are some great trees at those dam sites. Great trees surrounded by fields and fields of weeds. Many people do use those dam sites but most people dont. The media and the downers would beat up the public and say they dont go to the dam sites because they are fat and lazy or they are hooked on TV or too busy or whatever. I say B.S. to all that. I say most people don't go to those dam sites because they are poorly managed and run over with weeds and bugs. Make those dam sites nice like a park is supposed to be and they would be full of people.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:. I say most people don't go to those dam sites because they are poorly managed and run over with weeds and bugs. Make those dam sites nice like a park is supposed to be and they would be full of people.
How is a park suppose to be? Mowed like a golf course....not. These are natural areas and they will have long grass and natural plants and weeds and bugs and mowed areas.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I have to agree. If the dam sites were better maintained, they would probably get used more. I'm perfectly fine with these areas having natural areas with tall weeds and bugs, but why can't they at least maintain the picnic areas. They need to mow and trim the picnic areas once a week, not let the grass grow a foot tall first, and then mow it on a rainy day. Many of the roads are in horrible condition. I imagine the auto repair shops love it though. Some modern restrooms would be nice too. Not too many people these days enjoy having a picnic and having to use a nasty, uni-sex portapotty. If you make some improvements to these areas, they will get used more often, and when you get more people out there, you push out some of the shady people that hang out in the parks. It's not just the dam sites that need improvement. Lot's of Omaha's city parks need improvement. Take a drive up north to Sioux Falls and check out how they maintain their parks....well maintained steets, clean restrooms, well maintained picnic tables, lots of playground equipment, well maintained trails, etc.. There parks are always full of people. In fact, their parks are one of the top reasons why people choose to live in Sioux Falls or choose to relocate there. Omaha seems to under estimate the value of having good parks.
Last edited by OmahaOmaha on Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I will agree with that. Sioux Falls does have some really nice parks.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Walnut Creek Lake, and Prairie Queen Lake are maintained by the Papillion city parks department. Probably why they are done so well compared to the others...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Walnut Creek Silt Dredge