West Dodge Hills (SWC 180th and West Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

West Dodge Hills
SWC 180th and West Dodge

350,000 sq ft

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Yeah that plan aint approved yet.  Could technically end up something like that however I suppose.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

cdub wrote:Yeah that plan aint approved yet.  Could technically end up something like that however I suppose.
It's my understanding financing is a bust on this project. Any word?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Well, nothing there that we haven't already seen too much of before. More mediocre buildings planted in a sea of parking, with the minimum landscaping requirements carefully calculated. Yawn.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

S33 wrote:
cdub wrote:Yeah that plan aint approved yet.  Could technically end up something like that however I suppose.
It's my understanding financing is a bust on this project. Any word?
I'm not sure about any financing, I think everything you see is only marketing to sell lots.  There really isnt any 'project'.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

"Come to West Village Pointe to see magnificent seas of parking!"
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

If they build it, it will be so neat along the West Dodge Corridor!!  

Not to get off the subject, but:  It is so strange for me to drive west on Dodge, and it just is a busy freeway heading west with exits, and streets like 180th & 192nd & 204th are wide & new, and there is mushrooming suburbia to the south and north.  It is just amazing the growth.  For a city to grow from small, to medium, to big, obviously there are progressive stages, and I feel Omaha has reached a new level.  To me, it seems like it really is becoming more of a "30 minute city", not so much a "20 minute city" anymore...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRID wrote:If they build it, it will be so neat along the West Dodge Corridor!!  

Not to get off the subject, but:  It is so strange for me to drive west on Dodge, and it just is a busy freeway heading west with exits, and streets like 180th & 192nd & 204th are wide & new, and there is mushrooming suburbia to the south and north.  It is just amazing the growth.  For a city to grow from small, to medium, to big, obviously there are progressive stages, and I feel Omaha has reached a new level.  To me, it seems like it really is becoming more of a "30 minute city", not so much a "20 minute city" anymore...
Yeah, Omaha still seems to be following more of the L.A., Phoenix, or Dallas/Fortworth model of growth, rather than the high density Manhattan model. I prefer the latter myself, although our downtown has been on a roll the last decade.

I still have a 3.5 mile, 9-12 min. commute, depending on traffic.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Could be worse... Omaha's developments are still somewhat contiguous at least... go look at the Phoenix metro where there are numerous islands of development separated by desert.  There's also a pretty good mix of residential/commercial/retail.  You can drive alongside miles of concrete wall enclosed subdivisions around Phoenix before coming upon retail/commercial.  It could be alot worse in Omaha.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Stargazer wrote:Could be worse... Omaha's developments are still somewhat contiguous at least... go look at the Phoenix metro where there are numerous islands of development separated by desert.  There's also a pretty good mix of residential/commercial/retail.  You can drive alongside miles of concrete wall enclosed subdivisions around Phoenix before coming upon retail/commercial.  It could be alot worse in Omaha.
Exactly, and even though many of us prefer to or already do live in DTO, there are probably 4 to every 1 of us that like the neighborhood type of living..  And we can't exactly tell them to live in one of our dang condos or leave  :D
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Stargazer wrote:Could be worse... Omaha's developments are still somewhat contiguous at least... go look at the Phoenix metro where there are numerous islands of development separated by desert.  There's also a pretty good mix of residential/commercial/retail.  You can drive alongside miles of concrete wall enclosed subdivisions around Phoenix before coming upon retail/commercial.  It could be alot worse in Omaha.
Yeah, I agree. It could be worse. Phoenix was probably not the best comparison to Omaha. It's so spread-out (50-60 miles) it can take over an hour just to cross the metro.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

GetUrban wrote:It's so spread-out (50-60 miles) it can take over an hour just to cross the metro.
And everything looks absolutely identical.  It is the most homogenous, bland, lifeless place I've ever been in my life.  I get the weather part, but outside of that I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess they've pretty well got all of the retail shopping and professional sports covered... it's also a short drive to California... perhaps even a little closer than we are to Minneapolis.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Big E wrote:
And everything looks absolutely identical.  It is the most homogenous, bland, lifeless place I've ever been in my life.  I get the weather part, but outside of that I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there.
If it weren't for that weather part I would've thought you were talking about West Omaha.
Indeed. Phoenix was horrible, and I was only there for two hours on a layover.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, I've been meaning to break the monotony out here with a stimulating trip up to Florence Days, the Mormon Cemetery, or OJ's sometime.
Habits76
Home Owners Association

Post by Habits76 »

I noticed yesterday driving home from work that the southwest corner of 180th & Dodge they are grading out the open lot to the east of of the Broadmor Hills apartments. Anyone know what they are doing here?
Coyote
City Council

Re: West Dodge Hills (SWC 180th and West Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

Habits76 wrote:I noticed yesterday driving home from work that the southwest corner of 180th & Dodge they are grading out the open lot to the east of of the Broadmor Hills apartments. Anyone know what they are doing here?
Owned by West Dundee Development (Broadmore Development). My guess, the more of the same...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
Habits76 wrote:I noticed yesterday driving home from work that the southwest corner of 180th & Dodge they are grading out the open lot to the east of of the Broadmor Hills apartments. Anyone know what they are doing here?
Owned by West Dundee Development (Broadmore Development). My guess, the more of the same...
My bad, there will be two office buildings going in there:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (194.92 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
As a part of this mixed use area:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (184.89 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
Habits76
Home Owners Association

Re: West Dodge Hills

Post by Habits76 »

Thanks for the update Coyote!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sojern has moved into their new home here with room to expand.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1027564039
Sojern, the leading provider of digital advertising solutions and real-time audiences for the travel industry, today announced a new office space and expanded presence in Omaha designed to support its rapid growth and ambitious hiring plans.

The new Sojern work space, designed by Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture, will combine two previously separate offices into one and expand its physical footprint to 40,000 square feet in the West Dodge corridor of Omaha. In addition to the 4,000 square-foot breakroom and 53 conference rooms, there are 190 workstations to house the existing Omaha workforce with room to grow to 325 employees—nearly a 70 percent increase from the existing headcount. Keeping with the latest trends in workspace design, there will also be 3 mothers' rooms, two ping pong tables, a shuffleboard table and a gym in the building.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:03 pm Sojern has moved into their new home here with room to expand.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1027564039
Sojern, the leading provider of digital advertising solutions and real-time audiences for the travel industry, today announced a new office space and expanded presence in Omaha designed to support its rapid growth and ambitious hiring plans.

The new Sojern work space, designed by Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture, will combine two previously separate offices into one and expand its physical footprint to 40,000 square feet in the West Dodge corridor of Omaha. In addition to the 4,000 square-foot breakroom and 53 conference rooms, there are 190 workstations to house the existing Omaha workforce with room to grow to 325 employees—nearly a 70 percent increase from the existing headcount. Keeping with the latest trends in workspace design, there will also be 3 mothers' rooms, two ping pong tables, a shuffleboard table and a gym in the building.
Their office looks to be in line with the other tech-focused offices in the area. Nice addition to the Village Pointe area.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Does anyone know what's being built at 18140 Burke St. by West Dundee Development Co.? Per OWH, a permit was issued for $2 million+.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ita wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:53 pm Does anyone know what's being built at 18140 Burke St. by West Dundee Development Co.? Per OWH, a permit was issued for $2 million+.
"West Dodge Hills Office & Parking Garage"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (525.4 KiB) Viewed 5338 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

DTN is going in here at 18205 Capitol. Renovation worth over $2m.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

First Watch is coming to 18101 Chicago.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Coyote wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:01 pm DTN is going in here at 18205 Capitol. Renovation worth over $2m.
https://www.omaha.com/money/dtn-wants-t ... 659.html#1

Here's an informative article on this move. They are actually downsizing in physical office space. It's interesting that recruiting and retention in part of the conversation in explaining the move. I would think tech types that these companies want to recruit would like downtown/urban Omaha more than West O, but I could be totally wrong. I am just glad DTN is committed for the city and keeping jobs here.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I said this several months ago in another thread, but I don’t care what company you are or what your core business is. If you do a zip code map or drive time map of employees of ANY to any location of the city west dodge will win every time. Downtown and midtown is also very divisive. Very few employees will complain about west dodge.

It’s a reasonable assumption that young/tech people want to be in midtown/downtown. The reality is they don’t exclusively live in those areas. They are being priced out of housing stock in those areas and are having to move west. This leads to decisions like companies like Yahoo, LinkedIn, Building Trends, and others building or moving out west vs midtown/downtown.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:03 pm I said this several months ago in another thread, but I don’t care what company you are or what your core business is. If you do a zip code map or drive time map of employees of ANY to any location of the city west dodge will win every time. Downtown and midtown is also very divisive. Very few employees will complain about west dodge.

It’s a reasonable assumption that young/tech people want to be in midtown/downtown. The reality is they don’t exclusively live in those areas. They are being priced out of housing stock in those areas and are having to move west. This leads to decisions like companies like Yahoo, LinkedIn, Building Trends, and others building or moving out west vs midtown/downtown.
That and the back office jobs for these tech companies attract people who want kids. Kids need schools and the better ones are in west Omaha. These companies hire ReLo companies and these firms are paid by how fast they get the employees in and settled. Lots faster in Millard or Elkhorn.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:03 pm I said this several months ago in another thread, but I don’t care what company you are or what your core business is. If you do a zip code map or drive time map of employees of ANY to any location of the city west dodge will win every time. Downtown and midtown is also very divisive. Very few employees will complain about west dodge.

I don't think the young families who live in west Omaha on a tech salary are necessarily priced out of midtown or downtown. Omaha is not San Francisco, or Chicago, or even Minneapolis when it comes to real estate prices. No part of the city is really that off limits to the upper middle class. I think they just don't care about having an urban lifestyle. If you prefer an urban lifestyle you accept that it comes at a premium and won't be getting as much square footage for your dollar. Those who desire as much house for their dollar as they can get go west. Those who find having a level of character and/or neighborhood amenities preferable to house size are more often cool with a smaller house that's closer to these things.

If top-notch schools are a priority, the Westside School district offers good schools right in the middle of the city and I think their reputation is well known. There's really no great reason why someone who wants to live around midtown or downtown would decide to up and bypass Westside for Elkhorn if they didn't care about having as large or new of a house as they can afford.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:54 pm

I don't think the young families who live in west Omaha on a tech salary are necessarily priced out of midtown or downtown. Omaha is not San Francisco, or Chicago, or even Minneapolis when it comes to real estate prices. No part of the city is really that off limits to the upper middle class. I think they just don't care about having an urban lifestyle. If you prefer an urban lifestyle you accept that it comes at a premium and won't be getting as much square footage for your dollar. Those who desire as much house for their dollar as they can get go west. Those who find having a level of character and/or neighborhood amenities preferable to house size are more often cool with a smaller house that's closer to these things.

If top-notch schools are a priority, the Westside School district offers good schools right in the middle of the city and I think their reputation is well known. There's really no great reason why someone who wants to live around midtown or downtown would decide to up and bypass Westside for Elkhorn if they didn't care about having as large or new of a house as they can afford.
Westside is harder to move into and has higher taxes than Millard. It is a good school district and most of it is now center city, but the ability to rapidly find a place to live so you can settle and get to work is much easier further west. The issue of downtown and midtown is and will be until we deal with social order more effectively, lack of good schools and lack of places for kids to have fun in a safe place.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:54 pm

I don’t disagree, but I think that even furthers my point.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Thankfully dodge is almost entirely built out. Nanner
15-17, 26, 32