Apple Store (17170 Davenport Street)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Apple Store (17170 Davenport Street)

Post by MTO »

The building permit for the W DSM Store said $3 million with 7,160sq-ft. I originally posted that hoping someone would do the work and find the specs. Cause I can’t find the Omaha specs..
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

MTO wrote:The building permit for the W DSM Store said $3 million with 7,160sq-ft. I originally posted that hoping someone would do the work and find the specs. Cause I can’t find the Omaha specs..

Well that wouldn't be just the sales floor - that would be everything.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Uffda wrote:
MTO wrote:The building permit for the W DSM Store said $3 million with 7,160sq-ft. I originally posted that hoping someone would do the work and find the specs. Cause I can’t find the Omaha specs..

Well that wouldn't be just the sales floor - that would be everything.
Yes the back room is pretty large, they aren’t even done with the whole back area yet still construction going on. The store looks really nice though, but it’s still pretty full anytime you go in. I’m betting if crossroads would have went through they would’ve thought about a second location there.
#gohawks
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I can't find the building permit either but I found this ---
Apple inc-automatic fire sprinkler system 9628 sq ft

Also this
Jan 18, 2017 Remodeling permit value $3.5M

https://www.buildzoom.com/property-info ... e-omaha-ne
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Uffda wrote:

Also this

And boom goes the dynamite.
15-17, 26, 32
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

MTO wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Also this

And boom goes the dynamite.
So that must mean this statement is incorrect. MTO - And yet it’s still half the size of Jordan Creek.

:D
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

buildomaha wrote:. I’m betting if crossroads would have went through they would’ve thought about a second location there.
Omaha store doesn’t create enough business $ (yet) for Apple to open a second store in the area.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Uffda wrote:
buildomaha wrote:. I’m betting if crossroads would have went through they would’ve thought about a second location there.
Omaha store doesn’t create enough business $ (yet) for Apple to open a second store in the area.
The general rule of thumb seems to be a store per every million people or so.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Garrett wrote:
Uffda wrote:
So technically Omaha and especially DSM shouldn’t have one, yet.
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Uffda wrote:
So technically Omaha and especially DSM shouldn’t have one, yet.
Well, you can count several cities in their greater market areas. Omaha has Lincoln, Des Moines has Cedar Rapids and Iowa City
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Tim Cook did a surprise visit to the Village Pointe Apple store yesterday. Must be in town for Berkshire.

https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/apple- ... 07361.html
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Apple closing all retail stores outside China until March 27.

“We will be closing all of our retail stores outside of Greater China until March 27. We are committed to providing exceptional service to our customers. Our online stores are open at www.apple.com, or you can download the Apple Store app on the App Store. For service and support, customers can visit support.apple.com. I want to thank our extraordinary Retail teams for their dedication to enriching our customers’ lives. We are all so grateful to you.”

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/14/apple-st ... -closures/

Jimmy Buffett
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was told by friends that Apple Village Pointe will be reopening on October 18th with shortened hours and using an Express Storefront Model - not exactly sure what that is.

Jimmy Buffett
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Uffda wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 pm I was told by friends that Apple Village Pointe will be reopening on October 18th with shortened hours and using an Express Storefront Model - not exactly sure what that is.

Good news.. Thanks for the Intel :thumb:...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uffda wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 pm I was told by friends that Apple Village Pointe will be reopening on October 18th with shortened hours and using an Express Storefront Model - not exactly sure what that is.
That's the "come get your new $1200 iPhone and get the |expletive| out" model.
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Big E wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 pm
That's the "come get your new $1200 iPhone and get the |expletive| out" model.
Well, that’s one way of looking at it lol..

I just recently paid off my iPhone X (purchased at Verizon in the summer of 2018)..Looking forward to using it for another year or 2 before Apple pushes out an IOS update that makes that devise begin to crash and burn..Causing me to have to buy the latest and greatest once again...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Oh, I'll definitely be in line to get one. "Shut up and take my money" and all that.

I've been "forced" to get a new phone I don't in any way need every two years or so for the last 12 years, so I'm getting used to it.
Stable genius.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Big E wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm Oh, I'll definitely be in line to get one. "Shut up and take my money" and all that.

I've been "forced" to get a new phone I don't in any way need every two years or so for the last 12 years, so I'm getting used to it.
I have used the Apple Upgrade Program for the last few iPhones. Able to upgrade yearly if you want. I kept one for 2 years and the rest traded in. Have the 11 and Considering the iPhone 12 Pro as I would like the telephoto lens but need to compare more to justify the cost per month.

Jimmy Buffett
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Added info.

it’s by appointment only. No wandering around the store, very limited access.

Jimmy Buffett
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I just ordered an iPhone 12 online, through Verizon. It wasn’t exactly a simple or painless process...it took well over an hour and the assistance of one of their online “chat” people to figure out all the trade in discounts, work on changes to my plan, etc. Now I wait 9 days for the phone to be delivered to my front porch.
Walking in to a Verizon or Apple store would have been much easier and quicker, I suspect (not that there wouldn’t be a line to wait in). Who would have thought that those were the “good old days”?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm I just ordered an iPhone 12 online, through Verizon. It wasn’t exactly a simple or painless process...it took well over an hour and the assistance of one of their online “chat” people to figure out all the trade in discounts, work on changes to my plan, etc. Now I wait 9 days for the phone to be delivered to my front porch.
Walking in to a Verizon or Apple store would have been much easier and quicker, I suspect (not that there wouldn’t be a line to wait in). Who would have thought that those were the “good old days”?
I was looking at upgrading to the 12 Pro since I have the Apple iPhone upgrade program. I didnt buy yet but when I looked the other night I could have picked it up at an apple store here on saturday.

Jimmy Buffett
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm I just ordered an iPhone 12 online, through Verizon. It wasn’t exactly a simple or painless process...it took well over an hour and the assistance of one of their online “chat” people to figure out all the trade in discounts, work on changes to my plan, etc. Now I wait 9 days for the phone to be delivered to my front porch.
Why couldn't you go to a Verizon store? WIth an appointment only a day in advance, I was at a Verizon store to change my plan and add a line about a month ago. Was not a problem at all.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm Walking in to a Verizon or Apple store would have been much easier and quicker, I suspect (not that there wouldn’t be a line to wait in). Who would have thought that those were the “good old days”?
I avoid the physical stores. The employees are like used car salesmen. You walk in to get a phone and just a phone, they disappear into the stock room, then they come out with your phone and an armful of accessories to try and sell you. The process takes a damn hour when it should take 5 minutes. Now, I order my phone online, have it delivered to home, activate it at home, and mail back my trade-in from home.
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:29 am
nativeomahan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:22 pm Walking in to a Verizon or Apple store would have been much easier and quicker, I suspect (not that there wouldn’t be a line to wait in). Who would have thought that those were the “good old days”?
I avoid the physical stores. The employees are like used car salesmen. You walk in to get a phone and just a phone, they disappear into the stock room, then they come out with your phone and an armful of accessories to try and sell you. The process takes a darn hour when it should take 5 minutes. Now, I order my phone online, have it delivered to home, activate it at home, and mail back my trade-in from home.
I used to be an Apple guy. We had a 3 year old Macbook that crashed and took it into an Apple store. They told us that there was a 2 hour wait and we needed to hang around within the area because we would get a text when it was our turn to be seen and then would have 15 min to make in the store. When we finally got our Mac looked at they took it to the back and then came back and told us we would need to buy a new one. Took it to a private shop and they fixed it for $50.

I also think that the "Apple Geniuses" are told to never say, "I don't know". I asked what the iPad Pro could do that the Surface Pro 6 couldn't and the answers I was given were all things the Surface Pro could do better. I know the Apple Store employees are not actual programmers like most Microsoft Store employees are...but still, you'd think they would know their own products and their competitors' a little better.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Doctor Fate wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am
I avoid the physical stores. The employees are like used car salesmen. You walk in to get a phone and just a phone, they disappear into the stock room, then they come out with your phone and an armful of accessories to try and sell you. The process takes a darn hour when it should take 5 minutes. Now, I order my phone online, have it delivered to home, activate it at home, and mail back my trade-in from home.
I used to be an Apple guy. We had a 3 year old Macbook that crashed and took it into an Apple store. They told us that there was a 2 hour wait and we needed to hang around within the area because we would get a text when it was our turn to be seen and then would have 15 min to make in the store. When we finally got our Mac looked at they took it to the back and then came back and told us we would need to buy a new one. Took it to a private shop and they fixed it for $50.

I also think that the "Apple Geniuses" are told to never say, "I don't know". I asked what the iPad Pro could do that the Surface Pro 6 couldn't and the answers I was given were all things the Surface Pro could do better. I know the Apple Store employees are not actual programmers like most Microsoft Store employees are...but still, you'd think they would know their own products and their competitors' a little better.
I kind of doubt most MS retail store employeees are programmers, if that was true MS was wasting their skills. Apple employees for the most part their products but not sure why you fill they need to know another company’s products. If I walk into a car dealership that sales person will know their cars features but rarely know the competitors car features.

Jimmy Buffett
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Uffda wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:34 pm
Doctor Fate wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am

I kind of doubt most MS retail store employeees are programmers, if that was true MS was wasting their skills. Apple employees for the most part their products but not sure why you fill they need to know another company’s products. If I walk into a car dealership that sales person will know their cars features but rarely know the competitors car features.
The Microsoft Store employees I have worked with have all been computer science students. I have only been to Microsoft stores in Salt Lake City, New York City and Miami. I was computer science minor and am doing my Master's in analtyics so I have conversations with them when I go in.

Why would you not want to know about a competitor? Especially in a customer facing retail position were you could get comparison questions? Again, Microsoft store employees and the Samsung store employees I've spoke with in Europe knew specs for their rivals' products. Both admitted when a rival could do something better (ie. high end Mac desktops have higher resolution screens and more storage space) but then offered suggestions for work around if buying their product (ie. still get 32GB of RAM in a high end Microsoft Surface 2 desktop and can buy external storage for a fraction of the price difference of the Mac, and the noticeable difference between 5K and 4K resolution is very minor).

Steve Jobs always said that people will pay a premium price for a product they believe is premium. He created a brand with his image (New Balance shoes, black turtleneck, and Levi jeans). Apple products keep a certain asethetic to set them apart and I believe their approach to retail is the same line of thinking. Create a trendy, creative store image to draw people in and sell products. The Geniuses don't need to be tech "experts" because the marketing of the products and products sell themselves. They are generally all fashion forward people with good social skills.

Long, off subject rant but I have strong opinions on Apple LOL.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

One clarification on your post, in an Apple Store environment, the Genises aren’t the sales people - although they can sell, but are the top trained technicians.

Jimmy Buffett
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Uffda wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:42 am
Big E wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 pm Oh, I'll definitely be in line to get one. "Shut up and take my money" and all that.

I have used the Apple Upgrade Program for the last few iPhones. Able to upgrade yearly if you want. I kept one for 2 years and the rest traded in. Have the 11 and Considering the iPhone 12 Pro as I would like the telephoto lens but need to compare more to justify the cost per month.
Well I decided to upgrade today --- ordered online for pickup in store (International Mall Tampa) - set pickup time .... and that is where things have changed.

Indoor Mall - they have three different places in the mall hallway to check in depending on what you were there for - Genius Bar, Shopping appt or Pickup Order. Had my temp scanned and then waited until my time. They had entrance to store roped off so I was brought up to area for order pickups. New iPhone was brought to where I was. I gave them the current iPhone and they placed my new iPhone in a bag and handed it to me .... no setup. I sat in the mall and used Apple Store wifi to get it up and running.

There were people in the store by appt only -- Genius Bar and shopping -- the person who worked with me said they do take walkups if there are openings. I think he said they had been open about 5 weeks.

I noticed as I walk through the mall that it looked like many of the stores were doing similar actions with their customers

Jimmy Buffett