North 90th st. Bakers, Gordmans, Shopko

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

North 90th st. Bakers, Gordmans, Shopko

Post by Mystikbrian »

I was just wondering if anyone has any news about North 90th street. This is my neighborhood and things have been closing like crazy. The rumors on the Nextdoor app. Are all over the place and I'd really like to know if there is a plan for the empty Shopko and Gordmans building.

Bakers is still open but it has its rumors also. I've heard it's closing and I've also heard it's expanding into the old Gordmans building aka Con Agra.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Coyote
City Council

Re: North 90th st. Bakers, Gordmans, Shopko

Post by Coyote »

Yes, all of those rumors abound, but at this point nothing definite has been announced. Stay tuned...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I heard Baker's was also looking at the old Shopko building.

Greg
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Greg S wrote:I heard Baker's was also looking at the old Shopko building.

Greg
The old RG building. That's straight from the store manager's mouth.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:

Greg
Now, the Shopko building would be nice. A free-standing building instead of being in a strip mall. Also, is 90th going to get Murray's cheese like Saddle Creek? I just finished off a block of that stuff. Yum!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:

Greg
The one next door to the existing Baker's (that has recent been used by FDR and ConAgra), or the one across 90th that was Gordman's?

I had heard at the Baker's on 132nd that nothing was final as far as the 90th store and that multiple options were being considered but that was about a month ago.

Greg
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Greg S wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:

Greg
The one next door to the existing Baker's (that has recent been used by FDR and ConAgra), or the one across 90th that was Gordman's?

I had heard at the Baker's on 132nd that nothing was final as far as the 90th store and that multiple options were being considered but that was about a month ago.

Greg
The former Richman Gordman building, used by FDR & ConAgra.

Nothing is set in stone. Kroger still owns property up near Walmart (along with several other properties around the metro), so who really knows. I'm still waiting on the remodel for my store that was supposed to happen last summer, then this month. It's still slated, but the timing is in flux. It doesn't help that the guy in charge of store facilities in Omaha just retired.
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

choke wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:

Greg
Now, the Shopko building would be nice. A free-standing building instead of being in a strip mall. Also, is 90th going to get Murray's cheese like Saddle Creek? I just finished off a block of that stuff. Yum!
Shopping centers bring more traffic.

I haven't heard if any other stores are getting Murray's yet. I could see it going in to Twin Creek and Pepperwood. They would do well there.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

TheSeventhBrat wrote:
choke wrote:
TheSeventhBrat wrote:

Greg
Shopping centers bring more traffic.

I haven't heard if any other stores are getting Murray's yet. I could see it going in to Twin Creek and Pepperwood. They would do well there.
That Shopko is in a shopping center and frankly, IMO, it's the better shopping center of the two. What do you got for other stores on the east side of 90th? Hong Hing and some church? C'mon, move it to the west side of 90th.
Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mystikbrian »

I would tend to agree that the Shopko center is thr better shopping center. There a lot more business there, 3 restaurants, the dollar store and First National Bank and they just did some work on their building.

The church left the Bakers center. The only ones left there would be Hong Hing, Papa Murphys and some barber shop.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Visibility it better for the Shopko site. It's up on street level, the old RG building is sunk below. With the current store being in the same center, I wonder if the lease is a factor?

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Oh goodie more storage units -- Shopko - N 90th.

Affordable Family Storage will be a ±83,813 net rentable square feet, institutional quality, self-storage conversion in Omaha, Nebraska. Upon completion, the property will offer 884 climate-controlled units ranging in size from 5' x5' to 12' x24' . Affordable Family Storage will be a Class A facility which will consist of one two-story building sitting on seven acres.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/20357909 ... -Omaha-NE/
Toto
Home Owners Association

Post by Toto »

Uffda wrote:Oh goodie more storage units -- Shopko - N 90th.

Affordable Family Storage will be a ±83,813 net rentable square feet, institutional quality, self-storage conversion in Omaha, Nebraska. Upon completion, the property will offer 884 climate-controlled units ranging in size from 5' x5' to 12' x24' . Affordable Family Storage will be a Class A facility which will consist of one two-story building sitting on seven acres.

What the heck. Can we please stop building storage units in this town.
Toto
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Toto wrote:

What the heck. Can we please stop building storage units in this town.
But what will we do with all of our useless cr@p?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ricko wrote:But what will we do with all of our useless cr@p?
That funny you say that. I had a storage unit all of my 20's and even in to my early 30's. When it finally came time to get rid of it, you know how much I threw in the dumpster... Most of it! I bet I spent $10,000 to $15,000 storing mostly junk back in the day...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Baker's is slated for a remodel within the next year. So that shuts down our hopes of a new store
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
ricko wrote:But what will we do with all of our useless cr@p?
That funny you say that. I had a storage unit all of my 20's and even in to my early 30's. When it finally came time to get rid of it, you know how much I threw in the dumpster... Most of it! I bet I spent $10,000 to $15,000 storing mostly junk back in the day...
I used a storage unit once for about 2 months when I moved from one state to another and was waiting to get into an apt with a garage. And I am a lot older than you. :lol:
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

debradomayer wrote:Baker's is slated for a remodel within the next year. So that shuts down our hopes of a new store
Yet my store -- which actually turns a profit -- is still waiting...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Affordable Family Storage will be a ±83,813 net rentable square feet, institutional quality, self-storage.
83k of storage? Pfft! How about
Extra Space Storage at 82nd and Tangier Way,
just south of the Omaha Gun Club.
125,952 Sq ft on 4 stories of storage!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:
Affordable Family Storage will be a ±83,813 net rentable square feet, institutional quality, self-storage.
83k of storage? Pfft! How about
Extra Space Storage at 82nd and Tangier Way,
just south of the Omaha Gun Club.
125,952 Sq ft on 4 stories of storage!

From what I'm gathering the neighborhood would rather see a business was bringing people in than a business but is bringing stuff in.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sounds like the former ConAgra building in Plaza North is getting some action. They will demolish around 50,000 SF of existing space and then create 3 new spaces to be used for future tenant fitout in the 103,000 SF that is left.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

In the 10 years or so that Woolco was open I must of went in that store 200 times or more. Since Woolco closed about 1982 or 1983 I have not been to that strip mall 20 times in over 35 years. :shrug:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Plaza North will now house a 20k SF New Planet Fitness club.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm Plaza North will now house a 20k SF New Planet Fitness club.
Thank goodness. Hopefully, it will liven things up in that vicinity. That area has always been a bit gloomy & ticy-tac, to me. The little, cute, likeable L-shaped strip mall plaza & First National Bank near the (now vacant) Shopko always gave the area a little dose of pizazz, I felt, but still... Opening 90th more up north of there with the Sorenson Extension (and the continuing development on the Irvington/Blair Highway around Walmart) has also brightened things up a bit, too, imo. //////////////////////////////////Now, the vacant Gordmon's store near there: That's gotta go, imo. If not, I hope they come up with a good idea for it. Who would build an isolated & solo big boxy store, turned at an odd angle, on that weedy, hilly, unattractive corner? I just always disliked that choice. (Back then, they probably didnt have many choices where to fit that store in to serve the NW suburbs & North Omaha even.)
Last edited by RockHarbor on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:53 pm Plaza North will now house a 20k SF New Planet Fitness club.
Yeah - I saw that on somewhere else. Needs a lot more to resurrect that area a little bit
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Planet Fitness, the WalMart of gyms.
Jim Flowers rules!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Silverspoon wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:13 amPlanet Fitness, the WalMart of gyms.
Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "people of planet fitness" out there.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Well, if it is the "Walmart of gyms", it is the "Walmart of gyms." It is what it is. Thats actually not an inaccurate assessment, imo. I like Planet Fitness. And, there does need to be a "Walmart of gyms" (inexpensive, mass locations) among all the gyms to choose from -- logically. I dont care if Planet Fitness goes in there, or if a possible ritzier crowd from Lifetime, I just want the cobwebs off that dreary plaza. I think that gym is the perfect business to go in there. ;)
Last edited by RockHarbor on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm
https://www.instagram.com/people.of.pla ... ess/?hl=en
Jim Flowers rules!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Silverspoon wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 pm
Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:31 pm
https://www.instagram.com/people.of.pla ... ess/?hl=en
Interestingly about half of those I looked at aren't taken at a Planet Fitness but some are pretty funny :lol:

Jimmy Buffett
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Silverspoon wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:13 am

Hey I don't mind it. I don't get there as often as i need to but the one I go to on Ames is clean, well maintained and the crowd isn't in there to have people look at them, like I heard happens at LifeTime. :lol: The one on North 90th would be closer to home but the one on Ames is on the way home, so don't know if I would switch or not.

Jimmy Buffett
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Uffda wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Hey I don't mind it. I don't get there as often as i need to but the one I go to on Ames is clean, well maintained and the crowd isn't in there to have people look at them, like I heard happens at LifeTime. :lol: The one on North 90th would be closer to home but the one on Ames is on the way home, so don't know if I would switch or not.
Are you talking about the one around 60th Ames area? If so, how clean is that location? Is it pretty nice inside?
Jim Flowers rules!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Now I'm curious what PF is like inside. Ive never been in one, but I work with them w/ my job...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Silverspoon wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am
Uffda wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Are you talking about the one around 60th Ames area? If so, how clean is that location? Is it pretty nice inside?
Yes that one. It is very nice and clean inside.

Jimmy Buffett
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I may be mistaken, but, 40k SF of the Shopko building will be Altitude Trampoline Park.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm I may be mistaken, but, 40k SF of the Shopko building will be Altitude Trampoline Park.
I thought they had turned that into inside storage building

Jimmy Buffett
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Uffda wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 pm
Coyote wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm I may be mistaken, but, 40k SF of the Shopko building will be Altitude Trampoline Park.
So did I, but... All of it?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 pm
Uffda wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 pm
So did I, but... All of it?
It kind of looked that way but I have only driven by it not in front of it. https://www.affordablefamilystorage.com ... a-ne-f6070

The Goodman is still empty and I noticed they had knocked down the main entrance of the ConAgra next to bakers. I know there is a planet fitness going in there somewhere

Jimmy Buffett
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I am so glad that Planet Fitness is going in there. That should help "liven things up" in the area. That Baker's Plaza is so dreary. It so needs a remodel.

Remodel or not, that plaza has something great: I have to say that HONG HING restaurant is the best. I love that place, and we would meet family friends there all the time. I even went there before leaving Omaha to get my one last bite...
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

RockHarbor wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:17 pm I am so glad that Planet Fitness is going in there. That should help "liven things up" in the area. That Baker's Plaza is so dreary. It so needs a remodel.

Remodel or not, that plaza has something great: I have to say that HONG HING restaurant is the best. I love that place, and we would meet family friends there all the time. I even went there before leaving Omaha to get my one last bite...
Just wanted to second your comment. Hong Hing is the one bright light in this rejuvenating area.

Good news though about the redevelopment of the empty department store. I was thinking, the last time I was visiting Hong Hing, that this general area needs more family friendly entertainment options.