Sunset Valley Golf Club - Sold

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Sunset Valley Golf Club - Sold

Post by Brad »

There was a post on our Neighborhood Nextdoor site that Sunset Valley Golf Club was sold to NP Dodge and they are looking to redevelop it. Anyone heard anything?
zippy
Home Owners Association

Re: Sunset Valley Golf Club - Sold

Post by zippy »

There was something on local news yesterday about it. They said that it might include some kind of senior living facility, and the sale would be contingent on soil samples.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lot of flood plain to deal with...
SUNSET.JPG
SUNSET.JPG (251.01 KiB) Viewed 7369 times
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Does this mean the seemingly forever empty lot on the NW corner of 90th & Center will actually be something? If so, great. We need more lovely structures around to accent & compliment that gorgeous, thoughtful Loveland Center across the street. It would make the area even more charming. (That's what happens w/ thoughtful & inspiritational design and sparing no expense when building something, imo.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RockHarbor wrote:Does this mean the seemingly forever empty lot on the NW corner of 90th & Center will actually be something? If so, great.
No. That is owned by Slosburg. He will develop that when the time is right.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Last saturday on Grow Omaha, they said they think they will be able to develop about 15 of the 46 acres. The rest will remain green space.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I went to the neighborhood meeting hosted by NP Dodge last night. This development will be called Arbor Woods. A site plan and couple of renderings are available on their new website, http://www.arborwoodsomaha.com .

Here's the basics: 37 single family home lots. 2 different sizes/price points. Starting as small as 1/8th (east side), some as large as 1/3rd of an acre (north side of the development). Open to multiple builders.

In addition to the single family homes, apartment buildings - 4 initially, 6 when fully complete. 3 story, including garage on 1st floor.

Total of 247 family units between all of the apartments and the home lots. 60% of the property will be left as greenspace, but NP dodge has backed off of the original claim of keeping a couple of golf holes for the residents.

Neighbors were up in arms about a couple of items. First off, that the development won't just dump out on Arbor, but there will be a second entrance off the north side onto 93rd. Many concerned about the extra traffic on streets with no sidewalks. Secondly, the effects on the floodplain, and drainage. Plans call for raising the area up with 100,000 yards of dirt, which makes several of the homes nearby significantly lower than the development, which may create ponding/flooding. Nevermind the short term inconveniences of 10,000 dump truck trips to the site to bring in this dirt...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info Ben!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Ben wrote:I went to the neighborhood meeting hosted by NP Dodge last night. This development will be called Arbor Woods. A site plan and couple of renderings are available on their new website, http://www.arborwoodsomaha.com .

Here's the basics: 37 single family home lots. 2 different sizes/price points. Starting as small as 1/8th (east side), some as large as 1/3rd of an acre (north side of the development). Open to multiple builders.

In addition to the single family homes, apartment buildings - 4 initially, 6 when fully complete. 3 story, including garage on 1st floor.

Total of 247 family units between all of the apartments and the home lots. 60% of the property will be left as greenspace, but NP dodge has backed off of the original claim of keeping a couple of golf holes for the residents.

Neighbors were up in arms about a couple of items. First off, that the development won't just dump out on Arbor, but there will be a second entrance off the north side onto 93rd. Many concerned about the extra traffic on streets with no sidewalks. Secondly, the effects on the floodplain, and drainage. Plans call for raising the area up with 100,000 yards of dirt, which makes several of the homes nearby significantly lower than the development, which may create ponding/flooding. Nevermind the short term inconveniences of 10,000 dump truck trips to the site to bring in this dirt...

Going up against a Real Estate giant like NP Dodge is almost hopeless. Might be time to put up a for sale sign and get out of there fast.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Neighbors were up in arms about a couple of items. First off, that the development won't just dump out on Arbor, but there will be a second entrance off the north side onto 93rd. Many concerned about the extra traffic on streets with no sidewalks.
Hopefully you can negotiate in some speed bumps on 93rd. We live a few blocks away on 88th (The street that Westside High's senior lot dumps out on). We don't have sidewalks either. Its really not the number of cars we or any of our neighbors have a problem with, its the 30%+ of those cars that are going well over the speed limit that are the concern.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sunset Hills: Once-Upon-A-Time Suburban Fringe
Still an Enclave of Tranquility

Some of the greenery, however, could be disappearing. Members voted on June 13 to sell the 46 acres of Sunset Valley Golf Course to NP Dodge. Speaking with Omaha Magazine in late August, company president Nate Dodge says they began a 90-day “due diligence” examination of soil to “test theory if development is possible in an area from an engineering and financial standpoint.”

NP Dodge may request a second 90-day period and anticipates developing 15 acres due to the Big Papio Creek’s flood zone. The company is considering some single-family lots and multifamily buildings, keeping green space and possibly some golf holes as amenities.

“We would love to develop this in a way that would reflect the neighborhood and district,” Dodge says. “We wanted to take in the concerns of people who would be neighbors of the development.”

NP Dodge held three public meetings attended by roughly 180 people, as well as meeting with individuals. According to the company’s president, they have made “meaningful changes because of the input and interaction of the neighborhood.”
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Proposed 93 Arbor Apartments Image
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

The design is a copy/paste of nearly every other apartment building built in suburban Omaha in the last 20 years. It's not a particularly great design either.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
hk6045
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hk6045 »

It's going to be a disaster for the neighborhood. They originally said less than 5% of traffic will go through the neighborhood (their own engineers to the planning board in Nov), and their most recent traffic study (still a draft) now says approx 20%.

There is a TON of neighborhood opposition to this, please sign a petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/omaha-planning ... -golf-club

They are developing 50% of the floodplain, and have not told the whole truth multiple times in their "public" meetings. Tons of under the table influence/conflicts of interest between the Golf Course Board and NPDodge.

Please spread the word far and wide, the modification to the master plan to allow development in this flood plain is coming before the City Council January 9th.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

hk6045 wrote:It's going to be a disaster for the neighborhood. They originally said less than 5% of traffic will go through the neighborhood (their own engineers to the planning board in Nov), and their most recent traffic study (still a draft) now says approx 20%.
You'll be fine. I promise.
There is a TON of neighborhood opposition to this, please sign a petition here:
https://www.change.org/p/omaha-planning ... -golf-club,
There always is for any infill development project. There always will be. Unfortunately you'll need to accept that the neighborhood won't be static. People move in, people move out, property changes hands and priorities change. As long as they don't intend to build something that hinders your use of your property (more cars in front of your house isn't one of those things), the petition isn't going to be much use in completely stopping the development. I'm sure they'll work with you on a compromise to be decent neighbors, developers plan for that, but someday something will be built there and it's all going to be ok.
They are developing 50% of the floodplain, and have not told the whole truth multiple times in their "public" meetings. Tons of under the table influence/conflicts of interest between the Golf Course Board and NPDodge.

Please spread the word far and wide, the modification to the master plan to allow development in this flood plain is coming before the City Council January 9th.
You'll have to explain the half truths part. What did they lie about? Understand that you are afforded procedural due process and the ability to speak at certain meetings, but not all meetings lawfully need to be public and not getting your way does not mean that nefarious meetings and deals are going on. Not impossible, but also not likely.

Also understand that projects can be undertaken to alter the floodplain. Different drainage techniques, flow systems, raising elevation levels, etc. can all remove properties from the floodplain. There are also many cases where floodplain boundaries are just not accurate of what is possible (positively or negatively). What flooding mitigation projects are being conducted as a part of this?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Your promise aint worth a dollar taco from Taco Bell. This poor neighborhood is about to be turned upside down and they have a right to be upset and depressed about it. Everything is not going to be better. You can't blame them for not wanting their beautiful nice neighborhood invaded by NP Dodge. They don't need you kicking dirt in their faces.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

This poor neighborhood is about to be turned upside down
How? They'll have to share? Blocks upon blocks upon blocks upon blocks of residential houses surround this property. Exactly what will be different about adding several more blocks?
You can't blame them for not wanting their beautiful nice neighborhood invaded by NP Dodge. They don't need you kicking dirt in their faces.
[/quote]

Of course not, I'd be mad too if I lived on a golf course and suddenly I didn't. But the golf course didn't work out and there isn't the market for one to take its place. Welcome to life. They need to, and have the option to, work out a compromise.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Your promise aint worth a dollar taco from Taco Bell.
I'll take Tito's word over some smuck on the street any day. At least they understand urban development.

This type of thing happens all the time. Everything will be fine. The NIMBYs will always find something to complain about.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

How exactly do all these people get in and out of this neighborhood - seems like a lot of traffic will be added to Arbor --
http://www.arborwoodsomaha.com/Site-Plan
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Uffda wrote:How exactly do all these people get in and out of this neighborhood - seems like a lot of traffic will be added to Arbor --
The average daily traffic on Arbor west of 90th is 692. In contrast average daily traffic on Arbor east of 90th is 2,982.

https://publicworks.cityofomaha.org/ima ... 2-4-17.pdf
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Uffda wrote:How exactly do all these people get in and out of this neighborhood - seems like a lot of traffic will be added to Arbor --
The average daily traffic on Arbor west of 90th is 692. In contrast average daily traffic on Arbor east of 90th is 2,982.

Between the new apts and homes that will multiple easily - my prediction beyond the east side numbers.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Your promise aint worth a dollar taco from Taco Bell.
I'll take Tito's word over some smuck on the street any day
The point is these people are hurting and they came to this forum looking for a little help not a bunch of condescending gibberish from you liberals! :o
It only appears to be gibberish when you don't take the time to read a single word of it. I understood it all just fine.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

FirebirdEngineer wrote:
It only appears to be gibberish when you don't take the time to read a single word of it. I understood it all just fine.
It was what it looked like which was a bunch of insincere trash being thrown at a forum poster. It was bullying. Then another bully(HR. Puff N Stuff) piled on. Then you showed up and that makes 3 bullys. And that my friends is why this forum is half dead.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:
FirebirdEngineer wrote:
It was what it looked like which was a bunch of insincere trash being thrown at a forum poster. It was bullying. Then another bully(HR. Puff N Stuff) piled on. Then you showed up and that makes 3 bullys. And that my friends is why this forum is half dead.
Sure, keep playing the victim there gramps. It seems to be all you know how to do. That and whine about “fake news.” :lol:

I wasn’t being a bully so much as calling out the fact that every neighborhood has NIMBYs that will complain about new developments destroying what they currently have. And most of the time everything is fine. The developers will work to be good neighbors. But even then some people will still just sit there and complain.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

HR Paperstacks wrote:I wasn’t being a bully so much as calling out the fact that every neighborhood has NIMBYs.....
A poster from the Sunset Valley neighborhood comes to this forum asking for help and just maybe a little understanding......Instead of help or understanding the poster is called a "NIMBY"....instead of help or understanding the concerned poster is crassly told "You'll be fine. I promise." The poster is getting kicked around in here and its classic bullying. Worst of all its just stupid. Who better to get the inside story from then someone who lives in that neighborhood?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Developers will only "work to be good neighbors" if they have to and for what this forum's posters have in the way of facts, we can't really see any reason to think that they "have to". Being upset about your neighborhood's living quality is not being a NIMBY.

Have to agree that some of these cracks have been unhelpful. You are urban planners, and would be better off tossing some pointers rather than just calling them names.

Seriously, help them figure out who to talk to so that they can get some juice and protect their neighborhood.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

I apologize if it came off too insensitive, but there's no use giving anyone false hope. Because I work in urban planning, I can tell you that they're likely not going to get exactly what they ask for, which as I understand it is to stop the entire project. I can certainly sugar coat it and tell them that if they were to do this or that they could fight city hall and s"ave their neighborhood" from additional neighbors who hope to enjoy it the same way they do and that the golf course land owner won't care if they ever sell it to anyone and will just maintain it as a nice grassy area. Or I can give them realistic expectations.

The best people for them to talk to are the developer, their city council member, and a member of the urban planning department who works in current planning. It sounds like they've been in contact with most of these people already.

I sincerely do believe they will be fine. I whole-heartedly promise that. If they weren't, I have no trouble saying that. But really, this development is likely to have minimal impact on their quality of life.

Now if they're upset about the design, I'm all on their side. It's not a good design.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I apologize if it came off too insensitive, but there's no use giving anyone false hope. Because I work in urban planning, I can tell you that they're likely not going to get exactly what they ask for, which as I understand it is to stop the entire project. I can certainly sugar coat it and tell them that if they were to do this or that they could fight city hall and s"ave their neighborhood" from additional neighbors who hope to enjoy it the same way they do and that the golf course land owner won't care if they ever sell it to anyone and will just maintain it as a nice grassy area. Or I can give them realistic expectations.

The best people for them to talk to are the developer, their city council member, and a member of the urban planning department who works in current planning. It sounds like they've been in contact with most of these people already.

I sincerely do believe they will be fine. I whole-heartedly promise that. If they weren't, I have no trouble saying that. But really, this development is likely to have minimal impact on their quality of life.

Now if they're upset about the design, I'm all on their side. It's not a good design.
This is a fair and appropriate post..

Moving forward, let’s move on from member insults and simply discuss the right and or wrong of the neighborhood development issue..

Thanks...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1. Existing clubhouse

2. Looking west from the parking lot

3. Looking north from the parking lot
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

From these photos, its pretty easy to see why in a down market for golf, that it didn't keep going. Not much of a clubhouse.

Hopefully, the design will not be some clash of designs like the Lumber Yard apartments or the old Mr C's location. Nothing like the old railroad town of Millard then splashing up against the brutalist mini-Euroblocks of the Lumber Yard apartments.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I've played there several times and have to say it is not a challenging course being so flat, and the clubhouse is basically a glorified shack that served mediocre food, when it was open. I'm sure it had its fair share of die hard fans, there were people there most of the time, but it will be all but forgotten soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks more HOUSE than CLUB
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
hk6045
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hk6045 »

Uffda wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Between the new apts and homes that will multiple easily - my prediction beyond the east side numbers.
Exactly their most recent "Draft" Traffic study that they are using to sell this project is over 1900 ADT, e.g. bringing it right up to the Eastbound side. And originally they said less than 5% would be going through the Neighborhood directly (through the 93rd street access), that's what they told the planning board (Planning board meeting minutes):
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... 1-17.a.pdf
That's what their initial traffic study said (with many errors, e.g. 96th and Giles listed as an intersection, wrong speed limits, etc)...but their most recent updated one now has ~20% of traffic going through the 93rd street entrance, which is doubling the number of ADTs on that road.

So yeah, there are many issues with this development, traffic just being one of them.
hk6045
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hk6045 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I apologize if it came off too insensitive, but there's no use giving anyone false hope. Because I work in urban planning, I can tell you that they're likely not going to get exactly what they ask for, which as I understand it is to stop the entire project. I can certainly sugar coat it and tell them that if they were to do this or that they could fight city hall and s"ave their neighborhood" from additional neighbors who hope to enjoy it the same way they do and that the golf course land owner won't care if they ever sell it to anyone and will just maintain it as a nice grassy area. Or I can give them realistic expectations.

The design is one of the many fronts we've brought up at the planning board, they did not care. The SFH they are saying half will be 450K valuation, and half at 750K valuation...You can see an example of 450K homes on these size lots at 96th and center. Can someone please point to me an example of homes in that price range across the street from a large market rate apartment complex?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

hk6045 wrote:

The design is one of the many fronts we've brought up at the planning board, they did not care. The SFH they are saying half will be 450K valuation, and half at 750K valuation...You can see an example of 450K homes on these size lots at 96th and center. Can someone please point to me an example of homes in that price range across the street from a large market rate apartment complex?
Unlikely esp that close to the big Papio Creek.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I am familiar with the sunset hills neighborhood. Its one of Omaha’s best classic 1950’s suburban neighborhoods. I don’t see this project helping it and the increase in traffic is a real concern. It’s to bad the country club was sold. It was a small 9 hole course, but mainly served as a calming buffer to the neighborhood that is surrounded by busy streets. In what is now near the center of Omaha.

With the new development being built on what is a flood plain I’m not sure who would really want to live there. It would be much better if the land was left undeveloped for the good of the neighborhood and Omaha. As these all to infrequent Park like green spaces Become a enclave from the daily congestion and bustle. And improve Omaha’s Overall livability.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Cermak wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:35 am I am familiar with the sunset hills neighborhood. Its one of Omaha’s best classic 1950’s suburban neighborhoods. I don’t see this project helping it and the increase in traffic is a real concern. It’s to bad the country club was sold. It was a small 9 hole course, but mainly served as a calming buffer to the neighborhood that is surrounded by busy streets. In what is now near the center of Omaha.

With the new development being built on what is a flood plain I’m not sure who would really want to live there. It would be much better if the land was left undeveloped for the good of the neighborhood and Omaha. As these all to infrequent Park like green spaces Become a enclave from the daily congestion and bustle. And improve Omaha’s Overall livability.
I’ve lived in the general area of Sunset Hills virtually my entire life. This development won’t have a large impact on the neighborhood, IMO. Most of the new residents will use 90th Street to access the rest of the city. But I agree that preserving as much green space as possible is a good thing. I’m forever amazed that the NW corner of 90th and West Center continues to sit empty. The land must be worth a fortune. Sticking up a few mid rise (5-10 story) condo or apartment buildings would appear to me to be a ticket to financial wealth for a developer. And maybe a small retail area.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Hopefully they can save at least some of the golf course land as a green buffer. I just drove by there last night and I think that part of Omaha is one of the darkest spots of SW Omaha within the 680 beltway. It doesn’t have the light pollution that so much of other parts of Omaha has. Now with this new development that probably won’t be that case. I get that they want to develop the land but it’s in a flood plain to me that’s less than ideal. That whole area could flood someday.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Cermak wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm Hopefully they can save at least some of the golf course land as a green buffer. I just drove by there last night and I think that part of Omaha is one of the darkest spots of SW Omaha within the 680 beltway. It doesn’t have the light pollution that so much of other parts of Omaha has. Now with this new development that probably won’t be that case. I get that they want to develop the land but it’s in a flood plain to me that’s less than ideal. That whole area could flood someday.
With the city finally shifting to LED lights the issue of light pollution should improve. LED lights pretty much only aim directly at the ground.