Development around Blair

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Development around Blair

Post by Coyote »

Novozymes Plant in Blair

International corporation to announce large investment in Blair
Blair Enterprise wrote:A major international corporation will be announcing a significant investment in Blair on Monday, June 23 during a news conference at 10 a.m. at the Gardner-Hawks Center on the Dana College Campus. The unnamed company is expected to announce the creation of approximately 100 new jobs.

Vice president of communications for the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Karla Ewert refused to give any details of the multi-million dollar investment announcement at the unnamed company's request. She did, however, say, "Blair will have every reason to be very proud."
Stargazer
County Board

Re: Development around Blair

Post by Stargazer »

I'm going to use one of those vomit emoticons if it's another ethanol plant.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - the odds on favorite is Cargill - but this development is shrouded with secrecy. The Blair City Council knows nothing about this and neither does the Washington County Board of Supervisors. The only other detail I have uncovered - which holds true if you read between the lines - this was brokered by the Omaha Chamber of Commerce with Gateway Development Corp. Evidently there was not enough available land for this project in Douglas County so it is coming to Washington. A few of us tried to get a pass to the press conference but were turned down. I really hope this is not another NE Furniture Market with Governor's appearance let down.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

OK, lemme' get this straight....

The Omaha Chamber of Commerce brokers a  secret deal with a major international corporation.......for Washington County, and neither the Blair City Council nor the Washington County Supervisors were included in the process, or even given a heads-up?!  Classy.  

Or maybe the political illuminati in Wahington County is just being tight-lipped.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

100 workers, Denmark Company,  On Cargill development site,  ethanol ingredient facility.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10364387
omaha.com wrote:Blair, Neb., will gain a new 100-employee plant to produce an energy-saving ingredient for making ethanol, an investment of $80 million to $100 million by an international company that touts itself as friendly to the environment, its customers and its workers.

Novozymes expects the Blair plant to play a key role in producing nonfood ethanol, the next generation of nonpetroleum fuels.Novozymes, based in Bagsvaerd, Denmark, near Copenhagen, chose a 30-acre portion of Cargill Inc.'s industrial campus south of Blair over sites in South Dakota and Iowa, passing by low-labor-cost locations in China and Latin America.

The company, which says it is the world leader in "bioinnovation," plans an official announcement this morning in Blair. Cargill opened its $300 million ethanol plant in 2001 just south of town, and four other related businesses also operate there.

Besides helping produce corn-based ethanol immediately, Novozymes also expects the Blair plant to have a key role in producing nonfood ethanol, the next generation of nonpetroleum fuels.

The new plant will enhance the Blair site's state-leading industrial investment zone, which already is past $1 billion, said Paula Hazlewood, executive director of Washington County's Gateway Development Corp..............................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

An ethanol ingredient plant... okay, not worth a full vomit emoticon... does anyone have a 'I just threw up in my mouth a little' one ??

I like that simcity rendering. :lol:
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:An ethanol ingredient plant... okay, not worth a full vomit emoticon... does anyone have a 'I just threw up in my mouth a little' one ??

I like that simcity rendering. :lol:
If it makes you feel any better someone is going to build a wind turbine plant in Blair...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am disappointed. Such fanfair for this?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I am disappointed. Such fanfair for this?

100 new jobs and 80 - 100 million invested.  What did you expect?  I think it is pretty dam good considering all that is going on in the economy.  The way things are going today you are more likely to see an announcement of loosing 100 jobs.  You need to set your expectations a bit more realistic IMO.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote is very pro Blair, I bet he is being sarcastic about the other posts?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The way the news was coming out - I really had high expectations. With the addition to the Hospital, a new elementary school being built, a new Hotel and Conference Center, a new Walgreens, Carquest, Two Rivers Bank building, a new Auto Dealership and whatever gets built on the former Walmart tract of land, the strip mall with Sam and Louie's and as Brad mentioned the Wind Mill plant - Blair has been this past year having a building explosion.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Coyote is very pro Blair, I bet he is being sarcastic about the other posts?
Well I guess I am in error, That is real obvious from the post.
Bob
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Bob »

Coyote, dont forget the major expansion of the highschool.  Including a new band room, choir room, and adding a second gym.
elwood
New to the Neighborhood

Post by elwood »

...now deemed annex-worthy???   :yes:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bob wrote:Coyote, dont forget the major expansion of the highschool.  Including a new band room, choir room, and adding a second gym.
Yes Bob! I knew I was missing something - I was going to mention that addition.

There are also renovations under way for the Veterans Plaza and Black-Elk Neihardt park has been undergoing renovations and have future big plans in mind (which has a great frisbee golf course that may go 18 soon). I wish they could have saved the brick 1910 depot instead of the 1880 wooden one in the Lions Park they are trying to renovate.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

On the 3/28/209 episode of "Grow Omaha", they interviewed Fred Reikowsky from Novozymes.  

Apparently they are going to invest much more than initially anticipates.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Did they ever start or finish this project?
where the corn meets the concrete
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

windsor wrote:Did they ever start or finish this project?
Still under construction.  Its a large project, from what I understand...  I've got a friend who's the construction safety manager up at this project, and he's been on this job for at least 6 months, with several more to go.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like they broke ground in March of 2009:

http://www.novozymes.com/en/MainStructu ... braska.htm

Also:
Novozymes wrote:Second generation ready in 2010

The new facility in Nebraska will produce enzymes for the production of both first and second generation bioethanol. First generation bioethanol is produced from sugar or starchy raw materials such as wheat or corn. Second-generation bioethanol is produced from feedstock containing cellulosic biomass such as the stalks, leaves, and husks of corn plants, wood chips, and sawdust. Second-generation bioethanol may also be produced from energy crops such as switch grass.

In order to produce bioethanol, enzymes are needed to break down the starch or the cellulose in the raw materials. Novozymes is on track to deliver the first commercially viable enzymes for the production of second generation ethanol by 2010.
Coyote
City Council

Development around Blair

Post by Coyote »

The Bio Tech Campus in Blair is about to grow with a few new projects:

Blair biocampus lands $60M Evolva project
Katie Rohman, Pilot-Tribune & Enterprise wrote:Swiss fermentation company Evolva has entered into a long-term collaboration agreement with Cargill estimated at $60 million for the production and commercialization of a new stevia sweetener and other products at Blair's biocampus.
Evonik, Royal DSM to invest $200M in Blair
Katie Rohman, Pilot-Tribune & Enterprise wrote:Evonik Industries has announced a joint manufacturing venture with Royal DSM to invest $200 million over two years for a marine algae technology production facility. The joint venture, Veramaris, is the biggest investment in the biocampus since Novozymes built its $200 million enzymes plant, which opened in 2012.
Novozymes announces $36M expansion
Katie Rohman, Pilot-Tribune & Enterprise wrote:Danish biotechnology company Novozymes has announced the selection of the Blair facility for its next North American expansion. Five years after it opened its $200 million plant — the largest enzyme production plant for biofuels in the U.S. — the manufacturer is planning to significantly increase its fermentation capacity with a $36 million expansion.
And also:

Big Ox Energy plans $60M Blair plant
Katie Rohman, Pilot-Tribune & Enterprise wrote:A Wisconsin-based byproduct waste recycling provider is planning to invest $60 million in a new 70,000-square-foot facility in Blair expected to create at least 45 jobs.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

This is so exciting, that little city up north is going to boom.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (155.38 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.78 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I am so happy for the town. I love Blair. I went to school in FC, and I occassionally got up to Blair, but never thought much about it. Then, about a few years ago, I went up there, and I thought: "When did this town get so cute?" That business district is pleasant.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.enterprisepub.com/news/local ... f3e14.html
The proposed subdivision, Northern View Addition, is along Wilbur Street between 13th and 16th streets. The plan calls for 54 residential lots for single-family homes. The lots would be 60 feet in size and homes would cost between $250,000 to $350,000, which engineer Don Heine of TD2 Engineering and Surveying of Omaha said would add about $15 million in assessable value to the city. The size of the homes would range from 1,200 to 1,600 square feet, Heine said.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:54 am The Bio Tech Campus in Blair is about to grow with a few new projects:

Evonik, Royal DSM to invest $200M in Blair
Katie Rohman, Pilot-Tribune & Enterprise wrote:Evonik Industries has announced a joint manufacturing venture with Royal DSM to invest $200 million over two years for a marine algae technology production facility. The joint venture, Veramaris, is the biggest investment in the biocampus since Novozymes built its $200 million enzymes plant, which opened in 2012.
This project is complete. I love that Blair has this bio tech campus that draws interest from several international firms. Hopefully this can continue to grow.

OWH Article
https://www.omaha.com/money/brave-new-w ... eacdb.html

News Release from the Company:
https://www.veramaris.com/press-release ... lture.html
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Novozymes to invest $316.1M in Blair
Leeanna Ellis
Novozymes recently announced an agreement to enter the plant-based industry and invest 2 billion Danish kroner — or $316.1 million — over two years for a new state-of-the-art production line in Blair.

The agreement is the biggest investment in the biocampus since the joint venture of Vermaris between Evonik Industries and Royal DSM was completed for $200 million.

Advanced Protein Solutions is a strategic opportunity area in Novozymes and builds on a portfolio of biotech solutions in the food and beverage areas, the company said in a news release.

The agreement with an anchor customer and a key player in the plant-based industry includes a long-term contract. Novozymes did not disclose the name of its partner.

With the investment, the company said it will make a significant step forward in enabling sustainable nutrition for the world, while strengthening its commitment to serving the alternative protein market.

“At a time of accelerating demand across the protein space, Novozymes can unlock significant value by building on decades of experience with fermented catalytic proteins. Being a biotech powerhouse allows us to produce high-quality, novel ingredients for our customers, efficiently and sustainably,” Novozymes CEO Ester Baiget said in a press release. “Realizing the importance of rethinking how we meet an increasing demand for sustainable proteins, Novozymes is executing on its commitment to the strategic opportunity area Advanced Protein Solutions by investing DKK 2 billion in one of the fastest growing segments of the food industry. Together with our customers, we look forward to making a meaningful impact towards feeding the world sustainably.”

Plant-based products, including plant-based meat, was the fastest growing retail category in the U.S. in 2020 with 46% growth. According to market estimates, global plant-based meat could increase from 1% to 2-5% penetration rate of total meat consumption volume by 2025.

Construction of the facility is expected to begin in 2022 and be completed by 2023.

Within five years from the beginning of production, Novozymes expects to reach at least $158 million in sales.