St. Matthews Church Bellevue (36th and Capehart)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

St. Matthews Church Bellevue (36th and Capehart)

Post by skinzfan23 »

St. Matthews (just north of 36th and Capehart) is building a new parish and released the renderings not too long ago. They are anticipating completion by Christmas 2019.

Here are the renderings:

ImageSt. Matthews

https://uploads.weconnect.com/mce/5e06d ... 20View.pdf

https://uploads.weconnect.com/mce/5e06d ... 20View.pdf

https://uploads.weconnect.com/mce/5e06d ... 0Image.pdf
Brad
City Council

Re: St. Matthews Church Bellevue (36th and Capehart)

Post by Brad »

Do they have a church there now or just using part of the school?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The church service is held in the school gymnasium. Originally the the church and school started in 1996 with the hope of building a separate church building. From what I have heard, they intended to see a little faster growth in the area surrounding the land but since that didn't happen, construction was put off. Recently, a parishioner donated money to pay off the remaining $200,000+ mortgage leading the way for the new parish building to finally be built.

Since moving to Bellevue, we were looking for a church to attend and were a little put off by having the services in the gym, but we started attending anyhow and love it. The addition of the church is a welcome sign as well and it will also bring a much greater presence to the 36th St area.

I believe I read that the current building holds approx. 400, while the new church will hold just over 1,000.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not completely finished but here is the new church:

Last edited by skinzfan23 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Was this the one originally named Cardinal Spellman?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 pm Was this the one originally named Cardinal Spellman?
Yes, it became St. Matthew in 1996. Since that time, however, church services were held in the gym. We have been attending here for the past 6-7 years and can gladly say that we are going to finally have a church building. It is much needed in the area for Catholic churches and it should see quite a bit of growth from all the new housing developments along Capehart from 36th to the Shadow Lake area. I recently read in article in the World Herald that there is a proposal for up to 800 new houses at 72nd and Capehart.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That turned out great. The roof trusses reminded me of a couple other Catholic churches in Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a story from the World Herald about the church:

After overcoming obstacles, St. Matthew Catholic Church in Bellevue has its own building

The St. Matthew parish finally opened a space of its own on Nov. 4, an $8.6 million project for which the parish continues to raise money.

St. Matthew, which is about five miles west of Offutt Air Force Base, opened in November. It has grown by 100 families, bringing the total to 733 families.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

It will always be Cardinal Spellman to me. :) I never went to church or school there, but grew up a mile south of it. My Boy Scout troop did an Eagle Project there (probably 1988) and then we had a lock-in afterwards. So, while I was never a parishioner or student I can say I've spent the night there.