Shark Club/Quality Inn

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Shark Club/Quality Inn

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm on an email list from Auction Solutions and today I got a notification that there will be an auction of the Quality Inn/Shark Club. Anyone know what's going in where it is?

For what it's worth that hotel was one of the first in the nation to use Apple computers at the front desk and around the hotel, restaurant & bar. It was the early 80s. I was also in the hotel business and the owner, Mr. Fabian from California, wanted me to install his system too. My response? "Apple? For the management system? It's a kid's toy. We're going with the IBM PCs." The rest of the story? We did go with the IBM PC system. Nobody every used them for that before. The original PC was designed to be turned on for maybe 20 minutes at a time at your house. In the first 4 months we burned up 5 mother boards, 3 power supplies and filled up a 5 megabyte hard drive that I thought we'd never fill up. The computer had 8k on the motherboard and the backup was a vhs vcr that took 4 hours to back up and another 4 hours to verify, if it actually did verify.

Anyway, the hotel's been around forever.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Shark Club/Quality Inn

Post by Coyote »

In the past month that place has been broken into numerous times and trashed.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:In the past month that place has been broken into numerous times and trashed.
Is it to be torn down? Or just abandoned?

I love the reviews on Yelp. Bedbugs, stories of murders, etc. Fun stuff.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:Is it to be torn down? Or just abandoned?
It will be torn down, making room for an office building most likely.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Revival of central Omaha spreads from Aksarben Village to 72nd Street corridor

http://www.omaha.com/money/revival-of-c ... be7cb.html
By Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:On the west side of 72nd, the Platinum Group has boarded up the old Shark Club and Quality Inn and is developing a plan for what next will sprout at that 4-acre site.
By Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:They said they haven’t pinpointed what will replace the buildings now vacant and cordoned off, but expect the site to be cleared and a fresh project to rise. Nick said his preference is to have a mix of uses there.

Said Jamie: “Right now, everything is on the plate.”
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

The Shark Club was a major |expletive| hole. I went in there once to meet up with somebody and it was the only time, but that was like 2006. I didnt realize it closed.

Are there possibly transients inhabiting it now?
Jim Flowers rules!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Silverspoon wrote:The Shark Club was a major |expletive| hole. I went in there once to meet up with somebody and it was the only time, but that was like 2006. I didnt realize it closed.

Are there possibly transients inhabiting it now?
Yes. The place is totally trashed..
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

What does the paywall article say about the quality inn/shark club property? Just a speculative sale, or are there development plans? Despite improved fencing/security, I'm always wondering when this place is going to go up in a blaze, or become a squatter haven...
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Ben wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:03 am What does the paywall article say about the quality inn/shark club property? Just a speculative sale, or are there development plans? Despite improved fencing/security, I'm always wondering when this place is going to go up in a blaze, or become a squatter haven...
“The group had been devising a plan on what to do at the 4-acre site, but principal Nick Saldi said Platinum is negotiating with a potential buyer. He said he couldn’t elaborate on what might happen there.

Saldi’s group recently redeveloped the nearby former Venice Inn site off 72nd and Pacific Streets. He said the last bay of that $3.1 million Aksarben Pointe commercial strip, anchored by Legends Patio Grill and Bar, has just been leased to Mahalo Poke restaurant.”
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

hatwate wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:12 am
Ben wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:03 am What does the paywall article say about the quality inn/shark club property? Just a speculative sale, or are there development plans? Despite improved fencing/security, I'm always wondering when this place is going to go up in a blaze, or become a squatter haven...
“The group had been devising a plan on what to do at the 4-acre site, but principal Nick Saldi said Platinum is negotiating with a potential buyer. He said he couldn’t elaborate on what might happen there.

Saldi’s group recently redeveloped the nearby former Venice Inn site off 72nd and Pacific Streets. He said the last bay of that $3.1 million Aksarben Pointe commercial strip, anchored by Legends Patio Grill and Bar, has just been leased to Mahalo Poke restaurant.”
City of Omaha is having a meeting on 12/12 about designating the Shark Club propery as blighted so its redevelopment can qualify for TIF $s. Someone is proposing to build a residential apartment bldg there but it doesn't state who is making the proposal.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

That seems like a misuse of blight. I think taxpayer money should incentivize real blight in neighborhoods that have seen emptying on a large scale.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

daveoma wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 am That seems like a misuse of blight. I think taxpayer money should incentivize real blight in neighborhoods that have seen emptying on a large scale.
I think most, if not every area designated as "blighted" so far has been a misuse of the term. I'm supportive of this site being developed and having that building razed, but should the city be getting involved? I think not.

Like you said, there are far more real blighted areas in this city than this site. If the intention behind the blight designation were genuine in the sense of improving areas in need of improvement, and I mean in needof improvement (I think that might be the true definition of blight), then there are far more qualifying sites than this one.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 am
daveoma wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 am That seems like a misuse of blight. I think taxpayer money should incentivize real blight in neighborhoods that have seen emptying on a large scale.
I think most, if not every area designated as "blighted" so far has been a misuse of the term. I'm supportive of this site being developed and having that building razed, but should the city be getting involved? I think not.

Like you said, there are far more real blighted areas in this city than this site. If the intention behind the blight designation were genuine in the sense of improving areas in need of improvement, and I mean in needof improvement (I think that might be the true definition of blight), then there are far more qualifying sites than this one.
I say this without looking at the numbers, but some sites don't need to be in particularly dis-invested areas to be tough to redevelop. I think this Quality Inn is "blighted" in the sense that it's a relatively awkward if not small site that will have high demo costs to remove the hotel. Repurposing the existing hotel could be tough in that there's little else it could be used for than another hotel. So it then comes down to finding a hotel brand who thinks they could make this building, which is composed of a structural style that hotel developers no longer utilize, work with their current branding scheme without spending too much on renovation costs. It doesn't pencil out for a lot of developers and for that reason may need some government assistance if its going to become anything besides an abandoned hotel. As an abandoned hotel, it does little for the tax rolls.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:11 am I say this without looking at the numbers, but some sites don't need to be in particularly dis-invested areas to be tough to redevelop. I think this Quality Inn is "blighted" in the sense that it's a relatively awkward if not small site that will have high demo costs to remove the hotel. Repurposing the existing hotel could be tough in that there's little else it could be used for than another hotel. So it then comes down to finding a hotel brand who thinks they could make this building, which is composed of a structural style that hotel developers no longer utilize, work with their current branding scheme without spending too much on renovation costs. It doesn't pencil out for a lot of developers and for that reason may need some government assistance if its going to become anything besides an abandoned hotel. As an abandoned hotel, it does little for the tax rolls.
Lets cut to the truth which is they are telling us a choice property located on the corner of 72nd & Center is a blighted area. Far far from it. This is just another case of the rich using their knowledge of how to manipulate the government to exploit the public. Worst part about having to eat this lie over and over again is we are expected to thank them for it. :shrug:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 am
TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:11 am I say this without looking at the numbers, but some sites don't need to be in particularly dis-invested areas to be tough to redevelop. I think this Quality Inn is "blighted" in the sense that it's a relatively awkward if not small site that will have high demo costs to remove the hotel. Repurposing the existing hotel could be tough in that there's little else it could be used for than another hotel. So it then comes down to finding a hotel brand who thinks they could make this building, which is composed of a structural style that hotel developers no longer utilize, work with their current branding scheme without spending too much on renovation costs. It doesn't pencil out for a lot of developers and for that reason may need some government assistance if its going to become anything besides an abandoned hotel. As an abandoned hotel, it does little for the tax rolls.
Lets cut to the truth which is they are telling us a choice property located on the corner of 72nd & Center is a blighted area. Far far from it. This is just another case of the rich using their knowledge of how to manipulate the government to exploit the public. Worst part about having to eat this lie over and over again is we are expected to thank them for it. :shrug:
Yeah? You priced out demoing a hotel lately? It costs somewhere between $2 and $10 / square foot. We'll say for this project it's $4. The building is 76,435 square feet per the assessor. 76,435 * $4 = $305,740. So that's $305,740 just to get rid of the building that's already there so the site can then be prepped for something new. As much as you seem to believe that developers shouldn't profit and should build things out of the kindness of their hearts for the good of the people, not many developers just have an extra $300k just laying around burning a hole in their pocket..

Now let's talk about the corner. It's busy, sure, but it's an awkward, divided intersection. Right across the street on the southeast corner some office condos were proposed on a vacant lot (no $300k demolition needed to help prepare it). They built one and then scrapped the rest of the project. That was 2011. Eight years go by and finally something else was built on that site - a giant apartment building. Catty corner they did demo a five-story building, but the parcel is about 75% larger with adequate parking to accommodate the building that now sits on the site, which is two stories taller and has a significantly wider foot-print than what it replaced.

If it's a "choice property" it probably would not take 2+ years to sell with no tenant during that time.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm If it's a "choice property" it probably would not take 2+ years to sell with no tenant during that time.
In a fair and honest world if the property won't sell then the owner must lower the selling price. Honest people believe the selling price should be governed by the law of supply and demand not by government backed schemes being pushed by greedy businessmen.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 am
Two things:

One, they aren't manipulating the "government". Loosen your tin hat. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Two. Have they broken a law? If so, they should be punished. If not and you don't like this situation with blight standards, get off your counch & run for office and change it. You of course have every right to complain and call everything a conspiracy just as I have the right to call you out.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

NovakOmaha wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:28 pm Two things:

One, they aren't manipulating the "government". Loosen your tin hat. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Two. Have they broken a law? If so, they should be punished. If not and you don't like this situation with blight standards, get off your counch & run for office and change it. You of course have every right to complain and call everything a conspiracy just as I have the right to call you out.
Two things:

One, this scheme started out innocent enough....disguised as a way for the community to pitch in and help bring new business and building to the ghettos and inner city areas.

Two, after the smoke and mirrors it revealed itself for what it really was. This was a tax scheme to be used anywhere and everywhere from 200th & Dodge to 72nd & Center. They could care diddly about helping the poor and down trodden. It was all a con job designed to get the public to finance their new businesses all over the city.

Three, you notice how it started out legit helping the rough areas before they slowly morphed into the Charity for rich people that it now is. Would not have looked good if they had started out of the gates with projects out West .
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The hotel was a dump, the land is awkwardly situated, and the bar developed a crappy reputation so no one was going to try a renovation project. The sooner it gets taken down and replaced with something useful,the better.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Both sides are right on this, TIF was sold as a way to help poor and distressed areas. It is instead used as a development tool to make developing within the city competitive with greenfield development.

Most people on this board, which is focused on new developments, want tools to encourage development. So no matter how it was sold they like TIF and want it used roughly anywhere it can help.

So, would TIF make this project more likely to happen? yes
Are people who approved of TIF as a means to help underserved areas justified in feeling deceived when projects like this get TIF? yes
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm The hotel was a dump, the land is awkwardly situated, and the bar developed a crappy reputation so no one was going to try a renovation project. The sooner it gets taken down and replaced with something useful,the better.
That place was here in 1975 when I moved here, so no telling how old it is. I bet there's an asbestos remediation issue there.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

damonhynes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm The hotel was a dump, the land is awkwardly situated, and the bar developed a crappy reputation so no one was going to try a renovation project. The sooner it gets taken down and replaced with something useful,the better.
That place was here in 1975 when I moved here, so no telling how old it is. I bet there's an asbestos remediation issue there.
Easily. It’s also located right next to 72nd street so cranes will have a hard time getting in and moving large objects without closing 72nd southbound.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Speaking of 72nd Street, I would not be surprised if the city makes them close off the 72nd street driveway. I bet they make West Center Road the only access to any new building.
lbmom5
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lbmom5 »

damonhynes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am
Was a hotel in the late 1960's, and pretty nice at the time.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

damonhynes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am That place was here in 1975 when I moved here, so no telling how old it is. I bet there's an asbestos remediation issue there.
The name of the hotel was the San Antonio Inn. First time I ever set a foot in it was in 1978 and it was horribly run down then. They were lucky if they had 10 people a day staying there. They still had a cafe and an arcade but the place looked like it had not had 2 nickels put in it in a decade.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 pm
damonhynes wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:43 am That place was here in 1975 when I moved here, so no telling how old it is. I bet there's an asbestos remediation issue there.
The name of the hotel was the San Antonio Inn. First time I ever set a foot in it was in 1978 and it was horribly run down then. They were lucky if they had 10 people a day staying there. They still had a cafe and an arcade but the place looked like it had not had 2 nickels put in it in a decade.
Then Jim Fabian of California bought it and fixed it up and spent the next few decades making money there.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pm
Then Jim Fabian of California bought it and fixed it up and spent the next few decades making money there.
I'm not saying that it is impossible but I find it hard to believe it was much of a profitable enterprise.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:17 pm
NovakOmaha wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pm
I'm not saying that it is impossible but I find it hard to believe it was much of a profitable enterprise.
It was. He was an innovator in the 80s & 90s. Don't forget, AkSarBen ran 90 days in the 80s & until it closed hotels & motels made enough in the summer to make their year. Between Ak, the CWS & Berkshire lodging in Omaha was a slam dunk. There were times in the summer in the 80s you couldn't get a hotel room on I80 between DSM & Grand Island, especially on the weekends.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Ak-Sar-Ben bestrode the plains like a colossus of yore, to be sure. I remember selling Racing Form at my Kwik Shop.

Even now, there are restaurants that follow the Ak schedule--Sortino's is still closed on Monday, just like the racing sked.

Honestly, the only reason why that hotel registers with me is the marquee sign that advertised XXX art films, lolol.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Interest in old Shark club-Quality Inn site reignites;
city planners back calling area 'blighted'

The City Planning Board on Wednesday is to entertain the request, which also needs City Council approval.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Construction of apartments at 72nd and West Center could launch in fall

Proposed apt building with 270-unit apartment complex with a pool and rooftop clubhouse under a plan by Omaha-based Meridian Development.

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

At least it looks good. Still not thrilled about the blighted designation.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I like this a lot! It really finishes the development along the corridor. That car going west on center is in the wrong lane though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks great, can’t wait!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Anyone heard of this development outfit before? We might need to start a new thread on this but anyone checked out their webpage?

https://meridiandevllc.com/portfolio/th ... velopment/

They appear to be up to some really neat stuff whoever they are...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:23 pm Anyone heard of this development outfit before? We might need to start a new thread on this but anyone checked out their webpage?

No kidding. Local company. And that Regent development looks to be envisioned on the northeast corner of 11th and Harney.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:37 pm
OmahaJaysCU wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:23 pm Anyone heard of this development outfit before? We might need to start a new thread on this but anyone checked out their webpage?

No kidding. Local company. And that Regent development looks to be envisioned on the northeast corner of 11th and Harney.
I was looking at their site the other day and thought the same thing. I didn't want to believe it (to not get my hopes up), but yeah, that is definitely S&P Parking Lot at 11th and Harney. The Burlington office and Greenhouse in the background indicate the location.
Last edited by ita on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

If the Regent happens downtown, that’s a home run for this city.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

I saw a story about neighbors worried about this affecting property values and traffic on 74 st. If I am the developer, I would have my entrances on Center and 72nd for convenience for renters. {sarcasm}And property values are never affect by buildings vacant for years. {/sarcasm}