LB 840 Bellevue Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

LB 840 Bellevue Development

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/sarpy/bellevue/cit ... c6e16.html
It was a long and drawn-out discussion, but the Bellevue City Council Monday night voted 4-2 to fully fund the effort to develop some 5,000 acres south of Offutt Air Force Base.

The vote raised from $250,000 to $750,000 the amount the city will put into a fund that will be used to attract employers to the land, either through the installation of water, sewer and road infrastructure, or some other incentive.

The approved amount meets the maximum sum voters approved in a 2014 vote and is the first time the City Council has laid aside the full amount. The council assigned just $250,000 per year in the previous two years.

City Finance Director Rick Severson said the additional money will be taken from the city’s keno-funded Community Betterment Fund, which he said contains $5.8 million.

The decision to increase the funding of what is known as the LB 840 area, after the state law that authorizes economic development to be funded from the city’s general fund, came during a debate over the city’s 2017-18 budget of $75.5 million.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: LB 840 Bellevue Development

Post by iamjacobm »

5000 acres is a lot of developable land. I would think carving out a piece of this for industrial would be wise with the new bridge to get you over the river to 29 quickly.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm a little confused as to why they are pushing to develop this particular area of green space.

I think Bellevue should be encouraging growth to the west, closer to the rest of the urbanized area, rather than south.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think part of the thinking is that this is flat easily developable land. It is probably going to be used for industrial use than anything.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I'm a little confused as to why they are pushing to develop this particular area of green space.

I think Bellevue should be encouraging growth to the west, closer to the rest of the urbanized area, rather than south.
They have been holding out for a major industrial player to take over the land to the south for years. With two rail lines and great highway access, they think its prime for a large manufacturing facility with lots of jobs. I don't think residents will be happy with a manufacturing facility out to the west.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Brad wrote:I don't think residents will be happy with a manufacturing facility out to the west.
True. I missed the part about them wanting industrial development.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I'm a little confused as to why they are pushing to develop this particular area of green space.

They have been holding out for a major industrial player to take over the land to the south for years. With two rail lines and great highway access, they think its prime for a large manufacturing facility with lots of jobs. I don't think residents will be happy with a manufacturing facility out to the west.
Clearly this means the Mazda/Toyota plant is going here. :)
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Brad wrote:I don't think residents will be happy with a manufacturing facility out to the west.
My experience is that no one in this Metro is ever happy about anything, whether good or bad. So screw the Nimbys and let's get this done already.

Also, here's a page from Bellevue's website with more information, including a map of the area in question
http://www.bellevue.net/economic-develo ... ents-forms
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/sarpy/bellevue/ch ... de062.html
“Project Roadrunner,” involves bringing a transportation company to Bellevue from another city that Ristow did not identify. He said it would be located in the Highway 34 corridor south of Offutt Air Force Base and could prove a catalyst for development in that rail- and interstate-served area. Meetings with the company are scheduled for November, he said.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am https://www.omaha.com/sarpy/bellevue/ch ... de062.html
“Project Roadrunner,” involves bringing a transportation company to Bellevue from another city that Ristow did not identify. He said it would be located in the Highway 34 corridor south of Offutt Air Force Base and could prove a catalyst for development in that rail- and interstate-served area. Meetings with the company are scheduled for November, he said.
There are some good expansions. I was most interested in the fact that there are Chinese companies looking into Bellevue. With the Invest Shenzhen group having just visited Omaha, it will be interesting to see if anything pans out with these Chinese companies bringing jobs and growth to Bellevue.