Tranquility Soccer Upgrade

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Tranquility Soccer Upgrade

Post by Greg S »

We are woefully behind other cities in youth athletic complexes but this is a small start:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-of ... 88a47.html
Coyote
City Council

Re: Tranquility Soccer Upgrade

Post by Coyote »

Tranquility center fundraising to start not soccer but tennis…

Omaha Tennis Association fundraising to restore Koch Tennis Center

There is a new fundraising effort that could help bring the Nebraska State Tennis Championship back to Omaha. The state of conditions at the Koch Tennis Center at 124th and West Maple Road wasn’t looking good. The head of the Omaha Tennis Association told 6 News that she wasn’t surprised when the Nebraska School Activities Association moved the Class-A Tennis Tournament from Omaha to Lincoln. That ended 63 years of having the tournament in Omaha. The Association has been working with the city for 5 to 10 years about conditions at the Koch Tennis Center. The Omaha Tennis Association has since launched a fundraising effort to help restore the tennis center.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tranquility Park

Tranquility Park is a large (340 acre) park in West Omaha with great facilities. It features 8 baseball fields, 17 soccer fields, and 24 tennis courts. Other services include shelters, restrooms, a playground and open spaces. The Tranquility Park Mountain Bike Trail, the first authorized off-road biking trail in an Omaha Park, is a 6 mile course available to mountain bikers during normal park hours. Admission is free. The park is open year round.

thejdgates
New to the Neighborhood

Post by thejdgates »

KETV has posted the story: https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-inve ... k/44301334

TL;DR:
Omaha is spending $54 million to transform a city park into a top youth multi-sport complex.

The project also involves new hospitality and retail facilities near Tranquility Park, which has 17 soccer fields and eight baseball fields, with more fields to come. Mayor Stothert said the park needs more quality fields for all players and to host big tournaments. Visit Omaha said the park could bring in $78 million a year from new events.

Tranquility Commons will offer entertainment, shopping, hotels and restaurants between Maple and Fort streets on North 120th Street. (Renderings in the video linked above.)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

thejdgates wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:07 pm KETV has posted the story: https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-inve ... k/44301334

TL;DR:
Omaha is spending $54 million to transform a city park into a top youth multi-sport complex.

The project also involves new hospitality and retail facilities near Tranquility Park, which has 17 soccer fields and eight baseball fields, with more fields to come. Mayor Stothert said the park needs more quality fields for all players and to host big tournaments. Visit Omaha said the park could bring in $78 million a year from new events.

Tranquility Commons will offer entertainment, shopping, hotels and restaurants between Maple and Fort streets on North 120th Street. (Renderings in the video linked above.)

Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
The park is huge and the soccer fields only take up one corner of it. There is a large area across the creek from Schmidley's is not even used.

NOTE: I accidently included Schmidley's in my green line but its NOT owned by the city.
tranquility.png
tranquility.png (3.53 MiB) Viewed 3173 times
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ita wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
I wouldn't call it underrcutting, I'd call it getting their ducks in a row first.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:30 pm
ita wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:24 pm Wow, this looks like what Yates is envisioning for NEX Crossing. Stothert and the city just undercut his plan, or is there space for multiple complexes like this?
I wouldn't call it underrcutting, I'd call it getting their ducks in a row first.
I think I misunderstood the article I read in OWH. They are not really adding many fields, 17 to 16 multi use fields and 8 to possibly 11 baseball/softball fields. It's mostly just transitioning from natural to synthetic fields and making other improvements.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wonder if the city has hotel operators and restaurants on board for this proposal, or if it is all just wishful thinking.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I swear we need a counter for all of these tournament attracting projects that keep getting proposed around the metro
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

nativeomahan wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:58 pm I wonder if the city has hotel operators and restaurants on board for this proposal, or if it is all just wishful thinking.
There is another thread somewhere that had already mentioned the hotel/restaurant going in. It’s going in where Boondockers was. It sounds like it’s beyond the “planning” stage?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tranquility Commons development to bring restaurants, retail space and more

Tranquility Commons development to bring restaurants, retail space and more

Besides the new renovations at Tranquility Park in Omaha, new hotels, restaurants, and retail are planned along North 120th Street between Maple and Fort Streets. It will be named Tranquility Commons. "This is a community that is going to be bounded by sports," Patrick Mulhall, Tranquility Commons said. "It will really work with this project to allow people to go right next door to eat, shop, play, and stay."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

City of Omaha announces $54 million investment to create youth multi-sport complex, urban block

Omaha is investing more than $50 million to upgrade a city park and create a premier youth multi-sport complex. In just a year 45,000 kids run the bases and trek through the grass at Tranquility Park, one that served Omaha for decades. "Youth development, youth opportunities are needed more and more every day everywhere," said Park and Recreations Director, Matt Kalcevich.

The $54 million plans also include new hotels, restaurants and retail for the area called Tranquility Commons, located near North 120th and Maple streets.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

If there is only a need for one, good Job Omaha. Keep pulling people, jobs, and recreation into the city where ever possible!
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

I'm excited for this development - better fields, lower maintenance with the field turf surfaces. Not sure how they're going to lure the retail/commercial/lodging, if it's already in the works, deals signed, etc. Hopefully it all comes together and ends up looking like the drawings they've shown.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

/waits for Sen Linehan to question funding for this project but greenlight the Gretna plan
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Coyote wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:31 pm
City of Omaha announces $54 million investment to create youth multi-sport complex, urban block

Omaha is investing more than $50 million to upgrade a city park and create a premier youth multi-sport complex. In just a year 45,000 kids run the bases and trek through the grass at Tranquility Park, one that served Omaha for decades. "Youth development, youth opportunities are needed more and more every day everywhere," said Park and Recreations Director, Matt Kalcevich.

The $54 million plans also include new hotels, restaurants and retail for the area called Tranquility Commons, located near North 120th and Maple streets.
I am so confused about how this is being reported regarding the budget. Does the $50 million include the additional private development? At first blush, $50 million seems high for 'just' park upgrades, but $50 million seems too low for park upgrades and the additional development, at least at the scale presented in the rendering.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

almighty_tuna wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 am /waits for Sen Linehan to question funding for this project but greenlight the Gretna plan
Oh, she's the infamous anti-Mutual Tower person, isn't she? And anti-streetcar...

I live near Gretna and I can say I'm not a fan (of hers).
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

djc311 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:50 am
almighty_tuna wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:28 am /waits for Sen Linehan to question funding for this project but greenlight the Gretna plan
Oh, she's the infamous anti-Mutual Tower person, isn't she? And anti-streetcar...

I live near Gretna and I can say I'm not a fan (of hers).
Pretty much. It was quite funny seeing her complain about that but then basically write a bill that was tailor made to give $500 million to NEX specifically.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:19 pm
Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:12 pm Trying to figure out exactly where this will be? North of existing soccer fields? Are they taking out Schmidley's?
The park is huge and the soccer fields only take up one corner of it. There is a large area across the creek from Schmidley's is not even used.

NOTE: I accidently included Schmidley's in my green line but its NOT owned by the city.
tranquility.png
Yeah I had looked at this map. Kind of what I was getting at was I would think the hotels and retail part would want to be close to 120th. The unused land that the city has is further back. So I thought either they might try to get Schmidley's or I think they might move the fields and the development goes where they are currently? If not the retail development looks like it will have to be a few blocks eat of 120th in that unused area north of the north of the tennis center?
Jimmyd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jimmyd »

So does this mean fort from 120th West FINALLY gets widened?
About 20 years late on that one
And on a side note just love going east from 120th to 115th ish and hitting both the those major dips in the left lane!!!!! Come on city
Renovator2559
Human Relations

Post by Renovator2559 »

I'm not a fan on the parking lots proposed to surround these Tranquility buildings, too much parking lot eyesore.

Still its great to see baby steps taken to rivitalize the area, this is a nice project for doing many things without having to hop from parking lot to parking lot.

Also street widening will not solve the traffic congestion, it is a bandaid solution that is expensive in the long run
ArchStanton
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton »

As someone who has a kid in select soccer (for only a little longer, thank God), these fields already see tons of use and to be honest I'm not a big fan of turf either. I am dubious of the claims that these are going to be a huge out-of-town draw but maybe I'm wrong and if hotels are actually going up because of it, I am definitely wrong. I just remember the Baseball Village in Sarpy was supposed to bring in all these teams and tournaments and did nothing of the sort the last I heard.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

ArchStanton wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm As someone who has a kid in select soccer (for only a little longer, thank God), these fields already see tons of use and to be honest I'm not a big fan of turf either. I am dubious of the claims that these are going to be a huge out-of-town draw but maybe I'm wrong and if hotels are actually going up because of it, I am definitely wrong. I just remember the Baseball Village in Sarpy was supposed to bring in all these teams and tournaments and did nothing of the sort the last I heard.
I believe Baseball Village was the retail/residential portion of Werner Park. The tournament area is north of Cabela’s and I believe was just completed.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NEDodger wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:36 pm
ArchStanton wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:16 pm As someone who has a kid in select soccer (for only a little longer, thank God), these fields already see tons of use and to be honest I'm not a big fan of turf either. I am dubious of the claims that these are going to be a huge out-of-town draw but maybe I'm wrong and if hotels are actually going up because of it, I am definitely wrong. I just remember the Baseball Village in Sarpy was supposed to bring in all these teams and tournaments and did nothing of the sort the last I heard.
I believe Baseball Village was the retail/residential portion of Werner Park. The tournament area is north of Cabela’s and I believe was just completed.
No Baseball Village is south of Offutt and was a disaster. Bad location and shaky financing. Lots of money lost. Bellevue issued bonds on it. I think the city council got so excited for the development, that they got hoodwinked, It was later damaged by storms but is now I believe up and running again as Premier Village or something like that.

I wouldn't use that as a typical example. Stothert I believe will do more due diligence with the developers for this site as Omaha is much more skilled at larger developments than Bellevue. Omaha is really behind in this area. KC and Des Moines have these types of fields and complexes and host youth tournaments a ton during the summer. Sioux Falls has an incredible set up with a bunch of different sports that fill up there hotels seemingly every weekend June to mid August (and some weekends in May and April). Minneapolis has several of these, the biggest is in Blaine I believe.

The fields in Sarpy near Cabelas will be a good addition as well. You could see big tournaments being played at both.

Greg
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

Greg S wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:46 am
Brad wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:19 pm

tranquility.png
Yeah I had looked at this map. Kind of what I was getting at was I would think the hotels and retail part would want to be close to 120th. The unused land that the city has is further back. So I thought either they might try to get Schmidley's or I think they might move the fields and the development goes where they are currently? If not the retail development looks like it will have to be a few blocks eat of 120th in that unused area north of the north of the tennis center?
Isn't this at South West corner of 120th & Fort or is that a different development?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes, the hotels and entertainment venue are on 120th and Fort and were discussed in this thread:

https://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic. ... 13#p367413
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:09 pm Yes, the hotels and entertainment venue are on 120th and Fort and were discussed in this thread:

https://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic. ... 13#p367413
OK this makes sense. They are using the private land for this, it's not taking up part of the park that the city owns.
CompSci99
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CompSci99 »

It looks like land is being leveled and cleared on the corner of 120th and Fort Street. Is this part of the new tranquility development?