Westgate Plaza (Mangelsen's - NEC 84th & Grover)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Westgate Plaza (Mangelsen's - NEC 84th & Grover)

Post by Coyote »

South of Mangelson's in Westgate, the Hancocks will become a Dollar Tree.
jessep28
Planning Board

Re: Westgate Plaza (Mangelsen's)

Post by jessep28 »

They just built a Dollar Tree at the York interchange. I wonder if they are expanding in the region, or if Dollar Trees naturally multiply over time.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

jessep28 wrote:They just built a Dollar Tree at the York interchange. I wonder if they are expanding in the region, or if Dollar Trees naturally multiply over time.
Dollar Tree has become an absolute hit with the old ladies. They luv the Dollar Tree. I have not seen anything like this since I was a kid back at Woolworths in the 60's and 70's. The old ladies used to about just run you over at the Woolworths at the CrossRoads Mall. I been dropping $50 a month at least at Dollar Tree myself for years :shock:
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

jessep28 wrote:They just built a Dollar Tree at the York interchange. I wonder if they are expanding in the region, or if Dollar Trees naturally multiply over time.
15 companies that are defying the retail meltdown by opening hundreds of new stores

Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and Family Dollar the top 3

http://www.businessinsider.com/retailer ... ear-2018-1
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Uffda wrote:
15 companies that are defying the retail meltdown by opening hundreds of new stores

Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and Family Dollar the top 3

http://www.businessinsider.com/retailer ... ear-2018-1
Great place for greeting cards. Some of same ones at Wal-Mart, Target... 1.49 instead of 4.49.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Some sort of crosfit place opened up in the the old Kohl's spot just north of Mangelsen's
labguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by labguy »

A Family Dollar is going in right next to Dollar Tree.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

labguy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am A Family Dollar is going in right next to Dollar Tree.
If this isn't a sign of a strip mall in trouble, I don't know what is.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

labguy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am A Family Dollar is going in right next to Dollar Tree.
Interesting. How does a company compete with itself? Both are owned by Dollar Tree.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bbinks wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:42 am
Interesting. How does a company compete with itself? Both are owned by Dollar Tree.
Maybe it's akin to Wal-Mart next to Sam's Club?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Is there a possibility that Family $ opens and then $ Tree closes?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
labguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by labguy »

Louie wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 am
My understanding is that they often open both stores in the same location. From what my wife tells me, they are somewhat complementary. Dollar Tree only sells items $1 or less, while Family Dollar sells products at higher price points. You can get larger size/quantity items at Family Dollar because not everything is $1.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Not so much. Different business models.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

bbinks wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:40 am
Not so much. Different business models.
Well yeah and so are Sam's Club and Wal-Mart. The umbrella of Walton owns both and they place them side by side plenty of times. That was my point.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Between these two places, the indoor shooting range that replaced the cineplex, the huge vacant Shopko building, and the large storage building, the Westgate neighborhood is really classing up.

At least they rebuilt the McDonald’s and the mortuary.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

The range is really nice and compared to the Cinema Center at it’s end, a big step up.
labguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by labguy »

There is a sign up on the old Hancock Fabric store that says "ArchWell Health Coming Soon". Looks like they are a primary-care medical clinic for seniors. In their press release, it says they will open 3 locations in Omaha this summer.

https://archwellhealth.com/2023/03/seni ... HFeo-z3g9o
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Has anyone heard anything about Westgate Plaza closing? Some guy was trying to tell me the bowling shop owner told him the owner of the plaza is not renewing leases when they come up. So, I guess that could be why this is the last year for the haunted house.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It was purchased last year by a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) out of North Dakota.

https://www.dakotareit.com/

The own several other properties around Omaha.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Aha, so I would assume they are letting all the leases expire so they can do a major remodel or something.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A tenant in a different building in the area is likely taking a decent amount of this building.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

ThatGuy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:18 pm Has anyone heard anything about Westgate Plaza closing? Some guy was trying to tell me the bowling shop owner told him the owner of the plaza is not renewing leases when they come up. So, I guess that could be why this is the last year for the haunted house.
I can't see Mangelsen's relocating or closing, unless he wants to retire. Although I am surprised to hear they don't own that strip. I would have thought by now they would have purchased the whole thing so they'd have revenue from the other tenants.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:52 pm A tenant in a different building in the area is likely taking a decent amount of this building.
Per the Cake Gallery's FB post, it sounds like Westlake ACE Hardware is exploring moving, and taking up a large chunk of the availalble sqft. Others (like Cake Gallery) seem to be caught in limbo waiting for this decision. If ACE doesn't move in, per the post, expect Cake Gallery to rehab and move into one of the larger bays...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The rumors of the Westlake move have been floating through the neighborhood for going on 2 years now, ever since MegaSaver bought the strip mall where Westlake now operates, off 84th and West Center. MegaSaver heavily restricted Westlake’s seasonal use of the parking lot for their lawn and garden sales. Parking can be a real headache there now, especially during the lawn and garden season,
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

The owner of Cake Gallery, longtime business in Westgate Plaza, posted this on Facebook 8/23.

NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE
Over the past year rumors suggested “The Cake Gallery” was closing, due to the “Westlake Hardware” company taking over our location.
While Westlake Hardware is investigating moving to Westgate Plaza from 84th and Center, the decision to do so, has never been made.
Even if they decide soon, it would probably be a couple of years away.
If that happens, our bakery will most likely relocate to the front of the plaza where the former “Kohll’s” pharmacy resided.
So, if you were wondering why our storefront looks dated, it's not that we're closing, it’s because it doesn’t make sense to invest thousands of dollars to update, in the event we move.
If we are allowed to stay, we have plans to immediately redo everything from the windows to the interior to our displays and about everything else you can think of.
We appreciate your patience and understanding.
The Cake Gallery has been a part of this community for 56 years, and we plan to keep getting better with age. It’s our intentions to serve your great-great grandchildren…the lord willing.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: Westgate Plaza (Mangelsen's - NEC 84th & Grover)

Post by bigredmed1 »

Recently, I was at a grad party where the big sheet cake was from Cake Gallery. Just delicious.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I have fond wedding planning memories of going to the local cake places and get sample cakes to choose from. I can remember walking out with a half dozen boxes stacked all with tiny cakes in them. It was the best kind of decision making. Though, ultimately, I think we got our cake from the now defunct "The Cakery" in Rockbrook Village instead of Cake Gallery.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Our wedding cake had its origins at the Cake Gallery. It was delicious.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Cake Gallery is moving out of Westgate Plaza and Westlake Ace Hardware is moving in.

https://www.ketv.com/article/the-cake-g ... n/60300290
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Padre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm Cake Gallery is moving out of Westgate Plaza and Westlake Ace Hardware is moving in.

Starbucks also moving in:
Parcel ID (PIN) - 2507750973
Building Permit: BLD-23-13264
Starbucks Coffee #78330
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

While I feel bad that they are getting evicted, it's just business. The strip owner sees an opportunity to fill numerous empty bays at once and probably generate more revenue than they are making now. sucks that they lose their spot after 58 years, but the owner kind of sounded unhinged on their social media posts. and saying things like, "due to our non-profit mentality, we don't have the reserve funds to weather a relocation." I'm sorry, but to me, that's just bad business management. You are in a specialty cake baking industry, and your product isn't cheap/free. How are you operating as a "non-profit"? I get the idea if you're treating your employees better than average, but most businesses would hold onto some type of emergency fund for any eventuality like this. What if the whole plaza just burned down one day? Maybe they'll get people to buy gift cards to help get them moving as they are asking. But, I just have a hard time having too much sympathy if you don't have anything in savings for something like this after 58 years.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:03 am While I feel bad that they are getting evicted, it's just business. The strip owner sees an opportunity to fill numerous empty bays at once and probably generate more revenue than they are making now. sucks that they lose their spot after 58 years, but the owner kind of sounded unhinged on their social media posts. and saying things like, "due to our non-profit mentality, we don't have the reserve funds to weather a relocation." I'm sorry, but to me, that's just bad business management. You are in a specialty cake baking industry, and your product isn't cheap/free. How are you operating as a "non-profit"? I get the idea if you're treating your employees better than average, but most businesses would hold onto some type of emergency fund for any eventuality like this. What if the whole plaza just burned down one day? Maybe they'll get people to buy gift cards to help get them moving as they are asking. But, I just have a hard time having too much sympathy if you don't have anything in savings for something like this after 58 years.
Agreed. How is this any different than any millions of other businesses? After 58 years, there had to have been some profits. “Non-profit mentality”? Non-profits build up cash reserves for rainy days.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

NEDodger wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:43 am
omaha79 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:03 am While I feel bad that they are getting evicted, it's just business. The strip owner sees an opportunity to fill numerous empty bays at once and probably generate more revenue than they are making now. sucks that they lose their spot after 58 years, but the owner kind of sounded unhinged on their social media posts. and saying things like, "due to our non-profit mentality, we don't have the reserve funds to weather a relocation." I'm sorry, but to me, that's just bad business management. You are in a specialty cake baking industry, and your product isn't cheap/free. How are you operating as a "non-profit"? I get the idea if you're treating your employees better than average, but most businesses would hold onto some type of emergency fund for any eventuality like this. What if the whole plaza just burned down one day? Maybe they'll get people to buy gift cards to help get them moving as they are asking. But, I just have a hard time having too much sympathy if you don't have anything in savings for something like this after 58 years.
Agreed. How is this any different than any millions of other businesses? After 58 years, there had to have been some profits. “Non-profit mentality”? Non-profits build up cash reserves for rainy days.
They also clearly stated in their post in August that they intended to relocate. Did you blow through your paltry reserves that quickly? Or were you just full of it?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Padre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm Cake Gallery is moving out of Westgate Plaza and Westlake Ace Hardware is moving in.

What's going into the old Ace location?
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

bbinks wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:58 pm

What's going into the old Ace location?
Mega Saver expansion