Southroads Mall

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

AZCorey
Home Owners Association

Southroads Mall

Post by AZCorey »

So, I see also that Southroads is FINALLY remodeling....will it be something impressive, or just a bandaid and nothing exciting??? I also heard at one time of another swanky large mall moving in west O, this true??

It would be nice if Southroads would become a key player in the mall game again.

You know what else might just be able to revive now is the Park Fair Mall downtown....if anyone still remembers!! LOL!! Seriously, with everything booming down there now, Park Fair may stand a fair shot of being a nice downtown mall....what do you think??
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, 16th street definitely needs to become Omaha's "shopping street" again, and I think in order to do that right, Park Fair must be torn down. that thing was doomed to failure from the beginning. I'd like to see a high-rise condo tower in it's place, with the first few floors containing a shopping center.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I don't see Southroads ever becoming a significant retail destination again. Any renovations done.. are with the intention of keeping Ameritrade happy.

How many of you can claim as having sat on Santa's lap at the downtown Brandies?? :D Of course I'd love to see the area revitalized with regards to retail.. I like Aaron's plan.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Re: Southroads Mall

Post by Turtle9160 »

I didn't see any other Southroads topic in the search, but I have a question about the old mall. Anyone know what the huge satellite dish is for they put up in the parking lot on the east side? I have seen smaller dishes with HughesNet on them along Childs but this large dish is new, they just put the thing up in the last month or so
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

oh look, it's anti-matter universe 'stargazer'. I wonder if Adam still has that hairy guy 'bump' graphic.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Turtle9160 wrote:I didn't see any other Southroads topic in the search, but I have a question about the old mall. Anyone know what the huge satellite dish is for they put up in the parking lot on the east side? I have seen smaller dishes with HughesNet on them along Childs but this large dish is new, they just put the thing up in the last month or so
CoSentry (recently acquired by TierPoint) has a data center and corporate disaster recovery facilities inside the mail. The satellite equipment is most likely for them or their clients.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote: I wonder if Adam still has that hairy guy 'bump' graphic.
How about this one I've used:

Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

jessep28 wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote:I didn't see any other Southroads topic in the search, but I have a question about the old mall. Anyone know what the huge satellite dish is for they put up in the parking lot on the east side? I have seen smaller dishes with HughesNet on them along Childs but this large dish is new, they just put the thing up in the last month or so
CoSentry (recently acquired by TierPoint) has a data center and corporate disaster recovery facilities inside the mail. The satellite equipment is most likely for them or their clients.
Thanks Jessep, I wasn't aware they had a data center in there, makes sense, I would have guessed it was for something else or something for Offutt
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:
Stargazer wrote: I wonder if Adam still has that hairy guy 'bump' graphic.
How about this one I've used:

Where's Tuna when you need him?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett wrote:Where's Tuna when you need him?
Somewhere in the building. I see him from time to time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Up for auction Oct. 3rd

Southroads mall up for auction
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Southroads Mall only serves one purpose... John's Grecian Delight. :)
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:50 am Southroads Mall only serves one purpose... John's Grecian Delight. :)
:lol: I LOVE THAT PLACE! I hope the restaurant stays around in some form or another.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Oh, when I worked at Ameritrade, when they'd fire up the grill and start cooking sheep...mercy. More smoke than at a Deep Purple concert...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 am Up for auction Oct. 3rd

Southroads mall up for auction
Interesting. My company had just looked at leasing office space at the mall. It was very cheap, glad we passed.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bellevue restaurant sees outpour of support after difficult times

There has been an outpouring of support for a staple Bellevue restaurant after a difficult few weeks. 3 News Now Reporter Molly Hudson went to John's Grecian Delight on Wednesday as customers new and old shuffled in to help make sure the doors stay open.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

John's is amazing and the guy is even more amazing. He has been there for 40+ years. If you haven't tried it yet, you should.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

John's Grecian Delight is a beloved Bellevue institution and John Sakkas is well-loved. I had no doubt people would show up in droves to support him. I used to eat there weekly in the early 2000s. Now, I only make it out about once or twice per year (it's not exactly convenient for a Gretna resident).