Why is Northern Development so stagnant?

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jiminomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Why is Northern Development so stagnant?

Post by jiminomaha »

Growth to the South in Sarpy County seems to be doing good, growth to the east in CB seems to be okay, and of course growth to the west is on fire, how come growth to the North is so stagnant?

I have lived in Omaha for almost 9 years now. Evertime I drive down I-680 I wonder why this area is so ignored. It has better access to Downtown and to the airport than West O. There is a freeway running through the middle of it, so there is good transportation access. Its like nothing north of I-680 even exists in the Omaha mentality. Is it because the city has ignored it? Is it cause its too close to areas that are viewed as being to "marginal" for developers and buyers to be interested? Despite the new Development at 72nd and Ames and the proposed development at the old Vicker's plant, I see no signs of this area being revived any time soon. I'd like to know why you agree or disagree with this assessment and why.

Jimbo
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

North O Stagnancy

Post by guy4omaha »

I was told several years ago that this lack of northside development is due to the fact that sewer infrastructure and the like has not been developed on this side of town.

For example, MUD, a few years back, extended water and sewer lines from LaVista to Gretna or almost to Gretna. That makes possible all of the later development.

I was also told that the hilly and wooded terrain makes such infrastructure development more difficult and expensive. Plus, I was told that environmental interests want to preserve the likes of Ponca Hills.

I don't really know how true this is. But this is what I have been told.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I'd agree with that. When developers are doing so well(demand seems as strong as ever) out west grading out another cornfield, why go north where there's alot more hills to flatten out and trees to burn down?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

the other thing to consider is that from a homebuyers perspective there's not alot of basics needs in close proximity. There's no decent grocery store near by, little shopping and retail on the north side.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think we're seeing a boost in activity in the 72nd and 680 areas... and while we all love to hate Walmart... it may have something to do with their new store... along with the new Benson Park Plaza development (and no doubt the new retail center even further up 72nd at the former Vickers plant site will help as well)... am I the only one who has noticed a second wind in construction in the Lake Cunningham Hills area? Also Woodbridge is doing well just south of 680, west of 72nd. For the first time... you can see homes really getting close to 680 from Military. It has been stagnant for years... but I think it's just now starting to take off. Also... these are entry level homes... which bodes well for the future... when these people go looking to build their second homes... more often than not, they are looking nearby the area where their original home is/was (ie keep the kids with their friends, schools, etc).
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Leave it as is.

Post by zedmib »

:) I think the section of 680 from the Missouri river to 72nd ST is one of the most attractive areas of the city with the hills, trees and horses. Once you crest the hill under the 72nd ST exit the change is instant, from rural to urban. Lets limit development so the trees aren't bulldozed for the next Ponca Hills Wal-Mart. :evil:
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stigma. The guy who opened IHOP on 72nd was told buy many people that he would have bodies in his parking lot if he built in NorthO. It is true you need retail to sustain growth, but you also need growth for retail. Kind of like the chicken and the egg. I drove north on 72nd st just to see what was up there and after 680 it seemed lke I was out in the country. No where near Omaha. It is very hilly but if we have missle that can find someone on the other side of the world, why is it a big deal to level some hills?

The city should look into this option since everyone is saying western growth will not last forever. In far NorthO we have the chance to make appealing neighborhoods like they used to make. Wide, tree-lined boulevards, direct access to DT, and unique looking homes instead of the west cookie cutter mold. If H75 went all the way through we could have had more northern growth. Gretna and other areas in sarpy county have quicker ways DT than people in WestO because of I-80 and H75. This is what I thik could jump start northern growth. An amusement park. Their is enough land around it to expand and the city would have to make the area very accessible since it would be visited often. And a DT wouldn't be far behind if that happened.
DTO