Coventry (204th between Q and Harrison)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pharmaceutical Technologies Inc acquires 19-acre site

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10382160
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A year after building a 50,000-square-foot headquarters, an Omaha company that processes and manages pharmaceutical benefits and claims has bought 19 acres in the new Coventry development at 204th and Q Streets for future expansion, the company's president said Tuesday.

Douglas Pick, president and chief executive of Pharmaceutical Technologies Inc., said the company has not determined whether to move its headquarters to the new site or use the newly acquired ground as supplemental space to its headquarters at the Bank of the West Business Park, 136th and California Streets.

"The crystal ball isn't so clear," Pick said. "Things could happen that (would mean) we keep both. We're in a good spot because we've gotten some exciting growth and the retention of our clients is stellar, too."

While the company plans to add employees to its current roster of 120 with the future expansion, Pick said he did not know how many or when that would occur. The new site eventually could accommodate as many as 1,200 employees, he said.

PTI has not established a construction schedule or a target completion date, he said. Pick said he hopes to complete construction of the new facility within five years.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Well one building has a tenant...Walgreens.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

SychoBC wrote:Well one building has a tenant...Walgreens.
Are you thinking of a different area?  I am sure there is no Walgreen's built or being built yet in Coventry.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

It is not yet built, but they have purchased/leased the land out there.
omahamatt
New to the Neighborhood

Coventry in West Omaha

Post by omahamatt »

My wife and I are currently looking into lots and the Coventry development plans caught our eye.

Does anyone have any information as to the status of the development and developers?  By that I mean, are they making progress and is there anything that might lead you to believe they won't complete the project?

The reason I ask is I haven't seen a whole lot of activity in terms of new homes being built or commercial properties going up. Thanks for the help!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

welcome to the forum Omahamatt.

The "problem" with Coventry is that it was finished right as the economy tanked.  It will take off here when things get going again.
omahamatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahamatt »

Thanks Brad.  I generally think that's probably the case, but our builder has raised concerns because it seems as though the development company isn't really on time with a lot of the benchmarks and they don't seem too good at even the little things like getting signs up and etc.  

Do you have any specific info related to the project?  I hope it does stay on track and close to the original plan.  It'll be pretty impressive if it actually gets done the way its currently presented.

Thanks again!

Matt
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Brad wrote:The "problem" with Coventry is that it was finished right as the economy tanked.  It will take off here when things get going again.
Oh that's the problem. And how optimistic of you.  :;):

Anyway, what is the status of this project? The last update photos in this thread seem to be four years old and only show steel beams rising in the middle of nowhere.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omahamatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahamatt »

I can supply some update to it I guess. The ACI building is completely finished and has been in use for probably a few years now. There are about 15 houses built in the area.  I was out there just a few days ago and it appears as though a new one was just finished and another one was going up.  And that's fine, but I haven't seen any movement in terms of new commercial entities coming in.  As you mention, its a bit out in the middle of nowhere.  On the other hand, a lot of developments start out in the middle of nowhere.  I don't think it was too long ago that the Village Pointe area was basically out in the middle of nowhere.  With the Gretna and Elkhorn areas expanding, someplace in the middle might rapidly develop (I'm sure that's the theory).  That said, if the commercial vision doesn't come to fruition it would be a bust in my mind and I'd be very unhappy about buying a house there.  

At any rate, just wondering if anyone has any personal knowledge of the project.

Thanks,

Matt
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is where my participation in this discussion must end, lest this entire thread be axed.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:This is where my participation in this discussion must end, lest this entire thread be axed.
Axe the thread because you disapprove of the development?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

PLEASE DON"T DRAG THIS INTO EVERY THREAD
omahamatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahamatt »

I guess I'm trying to understand what the big deal is here??  Why would the thread be axed?  If you don't approve of the project then that's fine, but others might approve it and might be seeking information related to it (the whole reason I'm here).  Is development in west Omaha really that offensive to you?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

His point was if he continues to comment it will get really bad because anything he doesn't approve of is not worthy.  If he continues to comment things will go don hill and then the thread will need to be axed, not that it needs to be axed now.

Now lets get back to regular programming even though I ignored my own advice.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Matt, here, unlike city-data, there are three very distinct groups. Those who want to enforce more walkable-bicycle usable developments, those who oppose them because they see it as a elitism or something like that, and those who are annoyed by both groups because every thread turns into a fight of some sort.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
omahamatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahamatt »

Ya, I get what he was saying.  I just don't get why its a big issue to begin with.

Anyway, if anyone has any information on the project then I'd love to hear it.  If not, I guess I'm not really interested in your world-view as it pertains to residential neighborhood planning.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Matt,

I don't have any specifics.  I think it has a solid location with easy access to Elkhorn, Gretna, Fremont, Omaha, Lincoln and Interstate 80.  It is in a good school district, and the infrastructure is all in place.  I think if you are a suburban person it will eventually fill all your needs.  Granted it is a bit far away from every day needs now, but eventually I everything you need being located within the development.  

Don't worry about the naysayers.  They are just upset you are looking to do something outside of the downtown/midtown areas.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

omahamatt wrote:Ya, I get what he was saying.  I just don't get why its a big issue to begin with.

Anyway, if anyone has any information on the project then I'd love to hear it.  If not, I guess I'm not really interested in your world-view as it pertains to residential neighborhood planning.
Matt,
I'm sorry I can't find the link to the Omaha World Herald, but not too long ago there was an in-depth piece about the subdivisions in this area.  I think BigE posted a link here, but for the life of me I can't find it.

The developments out here (Coventry is practically my back yard) are all struggling to stay afloat.  There is too many empty subdivisions targeting the 300K+ price points, Coventry included (Coventry starts in the $375,000's).  The worst of which was the Whitehawk subdivison off 192nd between Q and Harrison.  Whitehawk was suppose to be a 250K+ custom home subdivision, but the developer opened the subdivison up to Celebrity and the cookie cutter homes to avoid bankruptcy.  I think at one point, I saw every custom home owner put up a 'For Sale' sign.  The subdivision is where my daughter goes to school (and probably your kids too - Reagan is the closest elementary school to Coventry) so I drive through it every day.  After the initial wave of Celebrity houses went in, I haven't seen anything new for a long time.

A little ways north of 204th is the new No Frills supermarket.  I think any new retail in the area would want to go in around the established supermarket before considering Coventry.  There is a little strip mall on 192 and Q near my subdivison, and the only business it has attracted is a day care and a Pay Check Advance.  The rest of the bays have been empty for the 2 years that I've been here.

I can't really speak specifically for the Coventry project, but I wouldn't want to build anything this far west and this far south of Dodge right now.  Have you looked north on 180th and Pacific at Pacific Springs?  There are still open lots, but the neighborhoods are 80% filled, and you're in walking distance of Village Point and Elkorn schools (there is a Middle school in Pacific Springs I think).  That area interests my wife and I.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Matt,
I misspoke earlier about the elementary school.  Coventry is now assigned to Reeder Elementary on 180th & F.  It was assigned to Reagan (which was in walking distance), but Reagan is full so they are making new enrollment go to Reeder.  That would be a deal breaker for me, I want all my kids within walking distance of Elementary, Middle, and High School.  

But hey, maybe you don't have kids and this is a non issue for you.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
omahamatt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahamatt »

Thanks for the info!  Actually, my son is currently at Reagan, and will be entering middle school in two years.  I'm pretty sure the MPS policy allows him to finish out at Reagan, especially considering we wouldn't be in the new home until some time during his 5th grade year.  That said, I don't think Reagan is really walkable from Coventary anyway.  They'd have to cross highway 31 to get their.

It does appear though that my concerns with Coventary are warranted. As of right now, unless I see some significant progress in the next 6 months (our target lot decision date) then we'll probably steer clear.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coventry is hosting the Street of Dreams they year.  Looked like there was a fire truck cleaning off the street this morning.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I love how subdivisions in the US name themselves after towns and counties in the UK.  Coventry is an ugly industrial city that was nearly leveled by the Luftwaffe during WWII.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

sweet ricko...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omahanerd wrote:sweet ricko...
?
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I recently moved in not too far from here.  I am a few miles farther north on the other side of 204th.  Where I live is literally the current edge of development, Coventry for all intents and purposes is in the middle of the country.  Certainly over the next 10 to 15 years the 204th Street Corridor is going to develop but there are no people around Coventry today for retail to survive there anytime soon.  

The next expansion of housing and retail in these areas are going to be near 204th and Pacific/Center and in Gretna.  There are a ton of half finished neighborhoods in these areas that as they fill in will be able to support retail in the area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like we might start seeing some more housing out here.  There is a revised plat proposal in next week's agenda.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Acres and acres of celebrity style homes. Can't wait!
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:Acres and acres of celebrity style homes. Can't wait!
These will almost certainly be custom homes.  The few that are out there already are huge and really nice.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Re: Official: Coventry (204th between Q and Harrison)

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

There are new homes currently under construction near 204th and Harrison. I believe this is the first construction in this part of Coventry.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

I'm looking forward to seeing this completed. When will they start building all the retail in that area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:There are new homes currently under construction near 204th and Harrison.  I believe this is the first construction in this part of Coventry.
Where at? I didn't look close but I didn't see any. They are doing a little dirt work on the west end, but I didn't see any foundations being dug.
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ZaEry »

Brad wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:There are new homes currently under construction near 204th and Harrison.  I believe this is the first construction in this part of Coventry.
Where at? I didn't look close but I didn't see any.  They are doing a little dirt work on the west end, but I didn't see any foundations being dug.
I think he meant 204th & Q, I know that there is homes around there.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

ZaEry wrote:
Brad wrote:
Where at? I didn't look close but I didn't see any.  They are doing a little dirt work on the west end, but I didn't see any foundations being dug.
I think he meant 204th & Q, I know that there is homes around there.
I meant 204th and Harrison. I saw the infrastructure going in for new homes and assumed they were starting on construction. My commute doesn't take me out this way anymore so I am not aware of the current status.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The infrastructure is in, but to my knowledge they have not started building any houses.

They are also adding the light at Harrison street, that's been all over the news because of the traffic fatality there.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

As of my knowledge there isn't any plan for more houses in Coventry. I have seen interest in developing the land on the NW Corner of 204th & Q Streets into a neighborhood. I believe there is a sign on that corner, if I'm not mistaken it's from Richland Homes, part of Pinecrest, Woodland, and Birchwood.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

The current phase will have 35 additional houses. They have plans for two more phases of houses.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... g/384a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/cityclerk/ima ... /1227a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Coventry 204th between Q and Harrison

Post by ZaEry »

I recently saw a sign that said retail and office development in the Coventry. I do remember last year talking to someone about the development and he told me the reason why development stopped was because of the economy. From what he told me last year that within in the next year or two, development would be taking off. As of right now, the only thing thats there is that one office building that was built at the time that part of 204th St was widened, the Millard Alternative school, and Coventry Estates. For a while they haven't built anything new there. I thought I remember reading that soon they will start to develop Coventry Ridge. I think an apartment complex is also planned for that area. More office buildings are supposed to go up around where the current one is. Then some retail will go in that area. Does anyone know when all that is supposed to take off? I'm really looking forward to seeing it get more developed.

Also, I know that there's more planned development in that area. For example on the northwest corner of 204th & Q there is this development thats supposed to happen thats called Kensington Park. Behind Kensington Park is supposed to be an apartment complex. On the northeast corner of 204th & Harrison theres supposed to be this development called Legado Plaza. There was also this planned development off of the northeast corner of 204th & F. I lost the form so I don't remember what that ones called. When the Coventry area starts filling up then these other developments can take off.
cafereef
Home Owners Association

Post by cafereef »

I work out in Coventry and take walks around the area every day. I have noticed lately that there has been a lot of utilities action burying new wire along Coventry drive, George B Lake Parkway and 207th street in the area that is supposed to be offices/retail/commercial. Coupled with the developement northwest of 204th and Q. I am looking forward to seeing it take off. Seems to be some action!

If the developer follows their website, this next 12 months should bring a lot to the area.
http://www.coventryomaha.com/about.html

I've been following the website for awhile now. And this is new, the movie theater was originally slated to go on the north section of the developement off Q street. This now places it off the lake that is in the middle of the developement off George B Lake Parkway:
http://www.coventryomaha.com/images/harrison_full.png
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for the info Cafereef!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, are they building the new international airport out there or is that plane crashing?

http://www.coventryomaha.com/officeandmedical.html