Cheesecake Factory - Westroads

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It would be even nicer on 10th street next to the all mighty Qwest Center situated in a huge new building.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What is there an echo in here? ;)

we must have been typing at the same time, soon as the story was over right?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Finally - time to move this from the rumor section!
Believe me, no one here would like to move this one out of the Rumors section more than moi..

The Action News 3 story does pretty much exactly portray the same feedback I and several others have given regarding the Cheesecake Factory's dilemma at Westroads..It's no secret they want to set up at that location..But at present, the 'tomfoolery' prevails :roll: ..

Anyway, as of the time I post this, the Action News 3 story cannot be found on their web site..And no other Omaha media outlet has reported on it either (including that 'crackerjack' news staff at the W-H)..

I guess until we get at least a collabrating report..We'll sit in the Rumors section..

For now..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Their website leaves a lot to be desired.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

But now we know that they are in court and have 3 other alternative sites choosen. I'd say it's a go, but until we get the "OFFICIAL" announcement it should stay here. Maybe rename the thread a little so people know what the thread is about atleast.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

on the 3 alternate sites...

West Omaha. ie, Village Pointe, somewhere else close to Westroads, or maybe Oakview. I'd be very surprised to see a DT location.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

To not even consider DTO is BS! And if they do build out west I hope DTO’s boom fallows soon after.
15-17, 26, 32
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I'd love to see it DT but let'd be realistic. They want to be located as close to suburban SUV excessives as possible.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

nebport5 wrote:on the 3 alternate sites...

West Omaha. ie, Village Pointe, somewhere else close to Westroads, or maybe Oakview. I'd be very surprised to see a DT location.
I think DT should be their only alternative. I bet they don't want to take the risk of higher rent rates without a real feel for the market first, but that's what doing the research is for. I don't know, Cheesecake Factories should be downtown.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

nebport5 wrote:I'd love to see it DT but let'd be realistic. They want to be located as close to suburban SUV excessives as possible.
That makes since (better for the environment) if all those one manned H2s don’t have to drive another 20miles.
15-17, 26, 32

Post by Guest »

Or maybe they want to be where the DEMOGRAPHICS support the restaurant. People need to start to realize that DT demographics do not support these types of restaurants at this time. Maybe they will in a couple years when more of the condo projects are finished, but they don't right now.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If you build it they will come.. behold the power of cheese. heck look how many “Like OMG”s are down there for a concert, sports event, convention or just to go and try to be cool… and when something like this moves in they could even accelerate that demographic change.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

10,098 view on this thread as of about 3:00 PM on March 1 on a thread that started last August. And all over a freaking piece of Cheese Cake. :roll:

Granted it would nice to see this in the Omaha area but I am completely amazed at the dander that this topic rises. Does cheesecake provide some new cure for something I am not aware of?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

nebugeater wrote: Does cheesecake provide some new cure for something I am not aware of?

City insecurity. It also validates a city apparently.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

DTO Luv wrote:
nebugeater wrote: Does cheesecake provide some new cure for something I am not aware of?

City insecurity. It also validates a city apparently.
Yeah kind of like a skyscraper
15-17, 26, 32
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

From a Westroads Rep. (Notable): They are offering CKF a pad site not the former Yonkers location. They want to use that for a movie theater.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

adam186 wrote:This will probably end up at the Wallstreet Tower, or atleast I hope it does! :wink:
I'm guessing it won't be ready for occupancy by the end of the year...
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

omahapropertymanager wrote:From a Westroads Rep. (Notable): They are offering CKF a pad site not the former Yonkers location. They want to use that for a movie theater.
By CKF, you mean CCF? Unless you spell it CheeseKake Factory :lol:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TO add to the fuel here, this is the link to the story that is in today's OWH.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2126242
Were it not for a lawsuit, Cheesecake Factory fans might have one of the restaurants at Westroads Mall by now.

A deal to build one of the chain restaurants near the P.F. Chang's and Macaroni Grill restaurants was almost completed about a year ago. Then General Growth Properties Inc. said it discovered that the company from which it was trying to buy the land didn't own it. General Growth itself owned the property, through its ownership of Westroads.

See, now I am my own worst enemy, the view count is over 10,300 and I am adding to it! We will find that cure yet!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well..

With this collaboration..

I think we can FINALLY move this one out of the Rumors section after a LONG 7 months..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

the attempt by General Growth and Cheesecake Factory to get a restaurant built is being held up by a lawsuit filed by the Lincoln company
:roll:
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

He's just bitter that he's not getting money for selling a parking lot that he doesn't own... Give it up dude.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Pffft, how often are Younker's customers parked as far away from the store as the lot east of Chang's? Anyone who uses that part of the lot is there for the restaraunts.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I dunno. The parking lot is pretty crowded now. Imagine a new Cheesecake Factory...the lot & streets would be packed. I think a CCF in Legacy or maybe the new Aksarben Village could work better. Just a thought. I could be wrong.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

You add a Cheesecake factory over there and it could get ugly on the weekends, and especially Xmas season. I would vote to put them at Village Pointe, the new Ak-Sar-Ben or downtown.

Greg
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Greg S wrote:You add a Cheesecake factory over there and it could get ugly on the weekends, and especially Xmas season. I would vote to put them at Village Pointe, the new Ak-Sar-Ben or downtown.

Greg
Ak-sar-ben village would be a great idea! It could look similar to the Cheesecake Factory in the Plaza in KC. Thats a great idea!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Agreed, that is a very good idea, I like the idea of them locating there WAY more than out at Village Point.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Testimony in a trial Wednesday didn't go to the issue of whether Younkers would be hurt by a Cheesecake Factory. Instead, Drew Friestedt of Chicago, General Growth's senior director of development, related his account of negotiations with Robert Weigel of Realty Trust Group.

Friestedt said, under questioning by his company's attorney, Fredric Kauffman of Lincoln, that he began lease negotiations with Weigel in April 2005, having been told that Weigel's firm owned the land. He said that he did not take steps to verify Weigel's ownership and that Weigel did not say he did not own the land.
Good grief, how can you be senior director of development and not take steps to verify ownership of land you're attempting to purchase? And how do you keep your job after a flub-up like that?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

icejammer wrote: Good grief, how can you be senior director of development and not take steps to verify ownership of land you're attempting to purchase? And how do you keep your job after a flub-up like that?
Yep icejammer..As I read the W-H piece, I had the same question myself..

Alas, the 'tomfoolery' continues March 13th..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

icejammer wrote:
Testimony in a trial Wednesday didn't go to the issue of whether Younkers would be hurt by a Cheesecake Factory. Instead, Drew Friestedt of Chicago, General Growth's senior director of development, related his account of negotiations with Robert Weigel of Realty Trust Group.

Friestedt said, under questioning by his company's attorney, Fredric Kauffman of Lincoln, that he began lease negotiations with Weigel in April 2005, having been told that Weigel's firm owned the land. He said that he did not take steps to verify Weigel's ownership and that Weigel did not say he did not own the land.
Good grief, how can you be senior director of development and not take steps to verify ownership of land you're attempting to purchase? And how do you keep your job after a flub-up like that?
I found it more of an embarrasement that BOTH companies were in negotiations and actually struck a deal before realizing that they didn't own it. Come on, these are professionals and they both messed up pretty bad.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

That's why I think this guy is off his rocker anyway. If someone came to you and offered you a bunch of money for some land that you didn't own, wouldn't you tell them that you didn't own it? It seems like this guy was just hoping that GGP would write him a big check, even though he knew he wasn't entitled to it. Of course there's not much way of proving that...
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

The CEO of Cheesecake Factory was on CNBC this morning commenting on their poor results for the last quarter.

The CEO blames higher fuel prices for their downturn. (Excuse's are never a good sign.)

The CEO said that they will still open 21 new locations in 2006, only 2 of which have opened to date. (The year is 1/3 gone.)

Lonnie
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And Omaha's CF location is still being hung up in court..

Naturally, the 'crack staff' at the W-H has provided no follow-up on this issue since their March 2nd piece..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

i hope CF just doesn't turn away entirely from the metro. if that is the case some guy in lincoln owes us a CF IMO.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

from http://www.cheesecakefactory.com
Franchise Information

Thank you for your interest in The Cheesecake Factory. Our full-service restaurants are Company owned and operated. We currently do not offer franchises or joint venture opportunities and have no plans to do so in the future.
This is one thing that is slowing the progress on a Cheesecake Factory
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

from http://www.cheesecakefactory.com
Franchise Information

Thank you for your interest in The Cheesecake Factory. Our full-service restaurants are Company owned and operated. We currently do not offer franchises or joint venture opportunities and have no plans to do so in the future.
This is one thing that is slowing the progress on a Cheesecake Factory
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It’s still that guy in Lincolns fault….. no matter how you slice it. Get it slice it?
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

A friend of mine told me that CF was very interested in a site on Pacific st. After doing some thinking, I realized Aksarben Village is near Pacific street. So maybe CF is looking at AK village? I haven't really been fallowing this thread so bear with me if you've been over this one...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

East of 72nd street that would be amazing if it ever happened. At this point I would take on at VP.
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

although Aksarben Village will be more centered along Center Street it is several blocks off Pacific. Not to burst your bubble. Wouldn't want CF at Aksarben Village if they want to build a standalone structure!! It would be out of place. At leat I hope it would be out of place.