MH Landing Landing - Ramada redevelopment (72 & Grover)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Finn
Parks & Recreation

MH Landing Landing - Ramada redevelopment (72 & Grover)

Post by Finn »

Holiday Inn Central's Coco Key Water Resort (72nd and Grover)

Indoor water park proposed at 72nd and Grover
A group of Omaha investors wants to turn a vacant hotel at 72nd and Grover Streets into Nebraska's first indoor water park.

The group cleared one hurdle Wednesday when the $11 million project received a positive recommendation from the Omaha Planning Board.

The plan is to renovate the hotel and build a 22,500-square- foot water park, spa and fitness center alongside it.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

:D
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I'm surprised that that hotel couldn't do the business, given it's location and all. They used to do a fair business with their meeting rooms I thought.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I hear it will be called Tinky Winky's Purple Pool Pavillion.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I told u guys!

From the rumors section

http://eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1805
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

icejammer wrote:I'm surprised that that hotel couldn't do the business, given it's location and all. They used to do a fair business with their meeting rooms I thought.
The hotels along 72nd St. used to serve visitors heading for the races and events at Aksarben.

Due to it's location they have all survived the track and arena's closing but it defiantly has been a struggle. The new development should help them out a lot.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

well it looks like the expected sq footage of the water park will be somewhere between 25,000-30,000. I believe the one in KC is somewhere in the 30,000 range. Expected grand opening is June of next year. Also the water park/hotel that was proposed for the Council Bluffs is on the rocks. The people who are developing this hotel dont believe that the CB one will pan out.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

omahastylee459 wrote:Also the water park/hotel that was proposed for the Council Bluffs is on the rocks. The people who are developing this hotel dont believe that the CB one will pan out.
Hmmmm, woulda thought they would have decided that before they signed the contract to buy the land the hotel and water park will sit on.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From today's OWH there is a story about a hotel water park. http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2205644

So is this the same one or are there going to potentially going to be two in this area? I thought the one that was being talked about was the hotel that had been sitting empty or a year or two right off of I 80? They are renovating it now and you can see that they are about done with the new windows. Isn't this where the earler small waterpark was at that was talked about? I beleive the Travelodge. This one is at the Holiday Convention Centre

See Google map for overview of area.
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q= ... 1&t=h&om=1

Big changes and lots of water are coming to the Holiday Convention Centre near 72nd and Grover Streets.

The one planned for the Holiday Convention Centre is considerably more extensive. A new building will be added to the northeast corner of the hotel and convention center.

A lazy river, two tube slides and body slides will be among the amenities in the 45,000-square-foot center. A 60-foot tower with enclosed tubes should be visible from Interstate 80.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

This is a different one. They've already started renovating the artist formerly known as Ramada.

Greg
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Geez!

There was initially proposed the Mid America Center one. Then the one in Bellevue (which apparently is being sued at the moment for their use of another firms design). Then the Ramada or Red Lion or whatever it is called now (which is undergoing renovation as we type). Then one was announced as part of a hotel/convention center out near Elkhorn. Then the Holiday Inn on Cuming. Now this one. I think it's safe to assume Omaha's Great Wolf Lodge needs will be satisfied. Maybe with all this action though, Great Wolf Lodge will indeed build a facility in the metro.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Sounds like this could be similair to one that we stayed at in Branson MO a few weeks ago and the kids loved.

Among other photos that can be found at their site.

http://www.grandcountry.com/splash.asp

It was a good step up from a hotel pool but not a full fleged water park with the costs that that adds to the room. Was there for $89 / weeknights and $109 / night weekends. The basketball area that wa in about 4' water was a blast for all ages. Hope one of the ones in this area has a feature like this.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nebugeater wrote:

-Maybe I am the only one who sees a problem with this. However, assuming they want to have the park open year round, is it really a good idea to have a bunch of water slide tubes running OUTSIDE the building?
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

Well it's not like it's a high pressure water line, and the water will presumably be constantly moving. It'll be fine, and cool !
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

First off, I would guess if they are putting big $$ into this I would guess it will be open year round. Second, there is this thing called gravity :wink: and if it sits idle, even overnight, and I assume it will, they will drain and will not freeze. I have seen designs like this farther north I am sure.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The Grand Lodge across from Mall Of America has a water park and I know when i went by it last week they had waterslides on the outside of the hotel so if they can do it up in the cold north -- they can do it down here
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Putting watersildes outside of the building won't be affected by the cold. Great Wolf and nearly any other large-scale indoor water park does the same thing. The one in Bellevue, as a matter of fact, is also supposed to have them going outside of the building. However, that one might not happen like that now!

Actually, by having them go outdoors in the winter it's more fun, because you can definitely feel the "cold" outside, but the water is obviously heated and comfortable...

BTW, we were supposed to put a small shop inside of the one in Bellevue, mostly in cosideration of the fact they were going to be the only one in the area for some time. But obviously someone sent out a memo on doing water parks 'cause there's going to be about 4-5 of them in the next 12 months here! Including 2 about a block from one another on 72nd St. How crazy is that?

One more thing, anyone out there interested in a mid-town location for The Omaha Chocolate Company & Gelateria???? :D

D
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nebugeater wrote:First off, I would guess if they are putting big $$ into this I would guess it will be open year round. Second, there is this thing called gravity :wink: and if it sits idle, even overnight, and I assume it will, they will drain and will not freeze. I have seen designs like this farther north I am sure.
-I certainly did not think the water would freeze in the tube. Rather, these tubes have no insulation, so I would be interested to see how warm a ride down it would be.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I hope they make the slides clear :twisted:
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So there are going to be 2 water parks across the street from each other, The Holiday Inn and the Regency Hotel:

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ency+hotel
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Holiday Inn Water Park

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Is that diagram realistic at all?
15-17, 26, 32
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Cutting edge reporting at its finest!   :roll:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well at least we know they don't use us as a resource.
15-17, 26, 32
whatsallthefuss
New to the Neighborhood

Post by whatsallthefuss »

Yes, but they have the cool video :

http://ww2.wowt.com/global/video/popup/ ... d1=1108506
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pouring footings today

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So if that is the size of the waterpark they are taking a big hunk out of their conference center parking lot.  I have been to a couple of conferences there where parking was tight --- looks like it is going to get tighter
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

I found out a little information - The Waterpark will be called "Coco Key" - it's one of 8 water parks that Sage Hospitality is adding to their properties.... one being the Holiday Inn Central.

http://www.sagehospitality.com/hotels/waterResorts.htm

the water park has it's own website, however, it doesn't list the Omaha location yet - but they are all supposed to be fairly similar:

http://www.cocokeywaterresort.com/

Looks great!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info jgomaha! Looks like quite a place to go.
LJR
New to the Neighborhood

Post by LJR »

The CoCo Key Water Resort now has Omaha listen on their website.  Also has an interactive fly through video for Omaha too.

http://www.cocokeyresort.com/index.php?/Omaha/index/
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

That reminds me, I had an awards breakfast over there a week ago.  They have the walls up and a crane inside.  Still dirt on the ground, but couldn't see if any of the slides or pools have been started.  No pictures, sorry.  It was so cold that morning and had to park far away so I had to run and didn't have time to catch any pics (because of the construction site taking up a lot of the parking).
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That fly-by makes me pretty excited about this.

It also kinda makes me want to go play The Sims.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The original news story reported that it would be 45,000 sq feet... the website says 65,000 sq feet.  Compare that to Great Wolf Lodge, which had always billed itself as the nation's largest indoor waterpark at 38,000 sq feet.

Looking back at the 'fly by'... is that supposed to be an aquarium?  or some sort of wall projection... showing the fish swimming about early in the video.  I guess one has to keep in mind the 'may not be exactly as shown in the preceding video'.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Stargazer wrote:The original news story reported that it would be 45,000 sq feet... the website says 65,000 sq feet.  Compare that to Great Wolf Lodge, which had always billed itself as the nation's largest indoor waterpark at 38,000 sq feet.

Looking back at the 'fly by'... is that supposed to be an aquarium?  or some sort of wall projection... showing the fish swimming about early in the video.  I guess one has to keep in mind the 'may not be exactly as shown in the preceding video'.

Yeah, I was wondering about that image on the wall as well. I don't really get why they'd bother animating the fish on the wall for no reason, but then again, I don't know how they would plan on having "moving" images on the wall like that anyways????

D
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I bet you a drink at the Teki bar that the walls will be painted, and BEST there will be a small aquarium somewhere around the perimeter, but I think even that will be unlikely.  Most likely a  canned part of the animation packaged that they used to make this and it just seemed to "fit"  We will see when it is done but I just hope the water park animation is at least close!
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

The tube through the shark tank idea is very cool.  They had one at the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas when I was there a couple years back.

As for this project, it sounds great and should be a nice entertainment option here in town.  I hope they do half as good a job advertising as Great Wolf and take full advantage of their larger size.
Mr. Cox
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mr. Cox »

The Days Inn in Bellevue has it on their placard that they will break ground for their indoor water park on March 1st.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Mr. Cox wrote:The Days Inn in Bellevue has it on their placard that they will break ground for their indoor water park on March 1st.
I'll be quite surprised if that project continues forward. The gentleman that owns that place approached us well over a year ago to place one of our OCC's inside as an attraction for guests and visitors. We thought it through quite a bit, but then realized after some rumors started to spread about other tentative water parks that they certainly wouldn't be the "exclusive" one in the area, which they were of course touting at first.

Also, they've had many "personal" issues & problems with the plan in general. First, the company who claimed ownership to their final plans & design sued them because they claimed they were dropped as the project designer, but their plans were still going to be used. Which, technically is "stealing" if they originally owned the rights to the park design and blueprints.

Then, obviously not too long ago they had the "situation" with the kid and the chlorine poisoning at their present indoor pool. That of course was another "bad" to their list of problems.

They were supposed to have that park open, not just ground broken, by last October. That's what the owner told me directly. Then, they were to at least break ground in the fall, then by January, now they're saying March? Although it might be good for the area, I think they should consider scrapping the idea altogether. Have you been inside of the hotel itself? Unless they've finally renovated all of it, it's no Great Wolf Lodge or even Holiday Inn Central, that's for sure. It's still a Days Inn through & through.

D
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »