Southport (126th - Giles - I80)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Southport (126th - Giles - I80)

Post by Brad »

No, there's more than one tenant in that building with Dunkin.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BPHusker wrote:Is Dunkin using that whole building? It seems kind of big for a Dunkin Donuts.
No, as I wrote: Dunkin' Donuts (5,625 s.f.) Sports Clips (1,200 s.f.) and Moe's Southwest Grill (2,500 s.f.).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:No, as I wrote: Dunkin' Donuts (5,625 s.f.) Sports Clips (1,200 s.f.) and Moe's Southwest Grill (2,500 s.f.).
No offence, your post was really hard to follow.

Dunkin Donuts Building:
Dunkin' Donuts (5,625 s.f.)
Sports Clips (1,200 s.f.)
Moe's Southwest Grill (2,500 s.f.).

Building Next to Alamo:
Cold Stone Creamery (1,793 s.f.)
Playmakers Pizza and Sports (6,500 s.f.)

Interesting that Moe's is coming back to town.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How long ago was it the Last Moe's in the area closed up and went away? There were 3 or 4 at one if I remember correct. One was on West Center somewhere around 175th or so.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dunkin Donuts had a ribbon cutting last week, Comfort Inn as been open a while.

1. Dunkin

2. Comfort Inn

3. Comfort Inn
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That one balcony still cracks me up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:That one balcony still cracks me up.
Yes, that very odd looking and also odd that a new hotel even has a balcony.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Looks like the Moe's is dead. The marquee sign used to be inside-out, and now it's just plain white.
Momto3
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Momto3 »

I drove past the potential Moe's location twice today. During the day, the sign looked white like it was empty. But, when I drove by tonight and the sign was lit up, you could still see the Moe's logo inside out on the sign. So...maybe it is still coming??
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Mayor Kindig made it official on the Grow Omaha Radio Show, Ole's Steakhouse will be here in Southport.
Land is officially back on the market. No Ole's in Southport.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Silt fences are up around the property next to Burger King. Any idea what's going in there?
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

EricHaley wrote:Silt fences are up around the property next to Burger King. Any idea what's going in there?
It's a combination Amigo's / King's Classic / Winchell's Donut / Kopeli's Coffee, similar to other ones around town. I haven't heard an opening date, but there was a "Coming Soon" sign on that lot for the last couple of months until they began prepping the site last week.
jkeys101
New to the Neighborhood

Southport West

Post by jkeys101 »

Can anyone please give an update on any new buisnesses, or rumors of buisnesses, going into the southport west area. Thanks
Brad
City Council

Re: Southport West

Post by Brad »

jkeys101 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:28 pm Can anyone please give an update on any new buisnesses, or rumors of buisnesses, going into the southport west area. Thanks
Something is going in between Boot Ban and the Mutual of Omaha Bank, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

There is what looks to be a new strip mall going in Southport East in the middle parcel of land.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 pm
jkeys101 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:28 pm Can anyone please give an update on any new buisnesses, or rumors of buisnesses, going into the southport west area. Thanks
Something is going in between Boot Ban and the Mutual of Omaha Bank, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.
That was supposed to be Ole's out of Paxton, but that property went back on the market.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Brad wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 pm
That was supposed to be Ole's out of Paxton, but that property went back on the market.
No, there is a new project going in next to the boot barn, not Ole’s.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Noticed yesterday there’s a rotating graphic on the digital Southport sign facing I-80 that says “Osaka Steakhouse and Sushi” coming soon. Not sure if it will occupy a bay in the existing strip mall, or if it’s going in the new building, but I’ll keep an eye out...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WBR_Tom wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am Noticed yesterday there’s a rotating graphic on the digital Southport sign facing I-80 that says “Osaka Steakhouse and Sushi” coming soon. Not sure if it will occupy a bay in the existing strip mall, or if it’s going in the new building, but I’ll keep an eye out...
The new building I was taking about next to boot barn is a well known national chain restaurant.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

WBR_Tom wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:27 am Noticed yesterday there’s a rotating graphic on the digital Southport sign facing I-80 that says “Osaka Steakhouse and Sushi” coming soon. Not sure if it will occupy a bay in the existing strip mall, or if it’s going in the new building, but I’ll keep an eye out...
It is going the furthest right bay. I saw a sign for it when I parked there to see a movie at Alamo.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Linkin5 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm There is what looks to be a new strip mall going in Southport East in the middle parcel of land.
One of the adjacent businesses apparently was just building an overflow parking lot, disappointing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 pm
Linkin5 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:53 pm There is what looks to be a new strip mall going in Southport East in the middle parcel of land.
One of the adjacent businesses apparently was just building an overflow parking lot, disappointing.
I believe Securities America added that parking lot so they can put an addition on to their building. There are a couple other office buildings looking hard at Southport East as well.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 am
I believe Securities America added that parking lot so they can put an addition on to their building. There are a couple other office buildings looking hard at Southport East as well.
Thanks for the info Brad. I’m somewhat surprised that land hasn’t developed quicker considering the location and easy access to the interstate.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

I've never tried that Playmakers bar. It has relatively negative reviews on Yelp which has made me hesitant to try it. I'm wondering if there is already something going on with this place. I went to a movie at 9:30 at Alamo last night and the bar appeared closed. It was a Saturday night.

With the reviews I'm seeing and them being closed on a Saturday night, I'm thinking this place may not be long for Southport.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omaha79 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm I've never tried that Playmakers bar. It has relatively negative reviews on Yelp which has made me hesitant to try it. I'm wondering if there is already something going on with this place. I went to a movie at 9:30 at Alamo last night and the bar appeared closed. It was a Saturday night.

With the reviews I'm seeing and them being closed on a Saturday night, I'm thinking this place may not be long for Southport.
We went to Costco last Thur after work and went over their to give it a try about 7:00 PM and they were closed.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

That's too bad, need a sportsbar in this area. Have been there 2 or 3 times and have had solid experiences. Nothing great, but nothing poor.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Al Buterol wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:23 am That's too bad, need a sportsbar in this area. Have been there 2 or 3 times and have had solid experiences. Nothing great, but nothing poor.
Same experience here -- we went there a lot and it was *fine*. Nothing great, but also nothing bad, and reasonably priced with solid service. Not the kind of place you drive out of the way for, but when it's five minutes from your house (which it is/was for us), it becomes a regular stop on a weeknight when you don't feel like cooking. There's not much in the way of competition in that area, so too bad to hear it's on the outs.

Not terribly surprised, though. Seemed like it had management issues before it ever opened; looked like it was ready to open months before they actually did (the sign was up, furnishings were installed, etc.) and they actually mailed a coupon in one of those Valpak things a full month before they actually opened -- by the time they did open, the coupon had expired. Not a great first impression.

(In case it's closed for good, here's a pic of the thing that cracked me up every time we went there -- a giant hand painted wall mural "inspired" by a Big Ten Network promotional commercial :lol: )

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

WBR_Tom wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am
(In case it's closed for good, here's a pic of the thing that cracked me up every time we went there -- a giant hand painted wall mural "inspired" by a Big Ten Network promotional commercial :lol: )

I feel like the muralist hadn't really look at a map.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:14 pm
WBR_Tom wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am

I feel like the muralist hadn't really look at a map.
:lol: No doubt. Here's the TV spot they based it on. I'd give 'em an A for the concept and a C+ for the execution :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Linkin5 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 am
Brad wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 am
Thanks for the info Brad. I’m somewhat surprised that land hasn’t developed quicker considering the location and easy access to the interstate.
I work at SAI. New 3-story building, slightly smaller than the existing one, atrium/lobby will connect them. Done spring 2020. In the meantime, we have leased a former callcenter over in Chalco Valley.

Supposedly the new parking lot to the south will be eventually shared with a couple office buildings, so the scuttlebutt goes.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Al Buterol wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:23 am That's too bad, need a sportsbar in this area. Have been there 2 or 3 times and have had solid experiences. Nothing great, but nothing poor.
PizzaWest and Beyond Golf are across the street.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:32 pm
omaha79 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm I've never tried that Playmakers bar. It has relatively negative reviews on Yelp which has made me hesitant to try it. I'm wondering if there is already something going on with this place. I went to a movie at 9:30 at Alamo last night and the bar appeared closed. It was a Saturday night.

We went to Costco last Thur after work and went over their to give it a try about 7:00 PM and they were closed.
Looks like Playmakers is dead. Went to Alamo again last night, and it was closed again. Either it's dead or they are retooling.

Either way, I"m not really sure that area needs a sports bar. I get tired of the suburban sports bar as being the catch all for everything. I mean, c'mon. There are more than enough sports themed bars and restaurants in Papillion and La Vista. Come up with something new. Off the top of my head within a few miles is Beyond Golf, Jerzees, Mama's Pizza, Ref's, and that's not even including chain places like Old Chicago, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. Good Life Bar is opening on 370 this year as well.

When will people learn? You can't just throw a sportsy name on something and expect it to succeed. I've seen so many half baked sports bar ideas in this city. Many were bankrolled by former Husker football players or athletes in general. At this point, you need something better than some tv's on the wall while selling mediocre food and tap domestic beer.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

omaha79 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

Looks like Playmakers is dead. Went to Alamo again last night, and it was closed again. Either it's dead or they are retooling.
I think it's "retooling" -- There was a sign in the window earlier this week that said they were closed until July 5 to train new staff. But I agree with all of your points, and would say Playmakers is behind the eight-ball, so to speak. Either the new staff helps the place take off quickly, or they'll be closed by Labor Day. And since Jon Taffer and the Bar Rescue crew aren't leading this quick shutdown/retooling, my money's on "closed by Labor Day." :lol:

I saw you mentioned Ref's -- my wife and I have been meaning to try that. Has anyone here tried it since it opened? We went to Jaybirds (which was in the same space) once and were so completely unimpressed we never went back despite living close by.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

WBR_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:31 pm

I think it's "retooling" -- There was a sign in the window earlier this week that said they were closed until July 5 to train new staff. But I agree with all of your points, and would say Playmakers is behind the eight-ball, so to speak. Either the new staff helps the place take off quickly, or they'll be closed by Labor Day. And since Jon Taffer and the Bar Rescue crew aren't leading this quick shutdown/retooling, my money's on "closed by Labor Day." :lol:

I saw you mentioned Ref's -- my wife and I have been meaning to try that. Has anyone here tried it since it opened? We went to Jaybirds (which was in the same space) once and were so completely unimpressed we never went back despite living close by.
I would like to try Ref's as well. Been meaning to, but I kind of forget since it's tucked away back there.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

WBR_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Must be the longest "retooling" ever for Playmakers. I went to Alamo last week and this place was still closed. It's now been months. Everything is still in there and there are dim lights on, but no sign of a reopening. I wonder if this is dead in the water?

I'd say retooling should include not being a dime a dozen sports bar. Between Beyond Golf, Refs, Jerzees, Good Life, and Mama's, I see zero chance of this succeeding.
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:08 am Must be the longest "retooling" ever for Playmakers. I went to Alamo last week and this place was still closed. It's now been months. Everything is still in there and there are dim lights on, but no sign of a reopening. I wonder if this is dead in the water?

I'd say retooling should include not being a dime a dozen sports bar. Between Beyond Golf, Refs, Jerzees, Good Life, and Mama's, I see zero chance of this succeeding.
Agreed on all points. Such a strange deal, because as you said, all of their stuff is still there, and the neon bar signs/emergency lights are still lit up (so their check for electrical must be clearing). But it's been closed for three months.

They might as well have an auction and move on at this point, IMHO.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Brad wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:45 am
skinzfan23 wrote:That one balcony still cracks me up.
Yes, that very odd looking and also odd that a new hotel even has a balcony.
I'd mentioned that balcony to my wife, and the next time we drove by we both took a gander. I had assumed it was a balconybalcony, something you raise the room rate for, or a suite of some kind. But it's more of a janitor's closet without the closet. There's not even a fire escape.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

I saw someone post on the Next Door app that a Hooters was going in near Alamo Drafthouse. Has anyone else heard anything?
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

BPHusker wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:21 pm I saw someone post on the Next Door app that a Hooters was going in near Alamo Drafthouse. Has anyone else heard anything?
Lets hope you heard wrong. Getting a Hooters out here would be not what most of us would want at all. That is kind of an out of the way bad place back in there to stick a restaurant truth be known.
milesej05
Home Owners Association

Post by milesej05 »

Me and a few buddies went to Playmakers earlier this year (which I would assume is where this Hooters would end up) and we really liked the location and layout of the place. I can see why that restaurant/bar went under quick though.

They had signs on the door saying they were under new management and were on a small "test" menu, which was not a big deal as we were there for appetizers and some drinks. That is when we found out they would not last. One bartender and 2 waitresses and it would take 5 minutes to get a beer (we were sitting 5 feet from the bar). We also had to ASK the waitress to get us another beer/drink.

I wouldn't mind a Hooters going in there because I do miss their food and will never step foot in the Hooters in CB anymore after finding a rusty knife in my utensils. And before anyone goes about saying that a "Breastraunt" is passed the times and not needed in that area, if you are over 25 and going to a restaurant to look at the waitresses, then you really need to rethink your life choices. My wife was a Hooters and TP girl, it is sad all the 30-50 year olds that show up just to sit at the bar and stare.