Southport (126th - Giles - I80)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Scuzz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Scuzz »

I wasn't aware of the Bueno addition.  Es muy Bueno!
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

I am glad to see some restaurants, but am hoping for something other than fast food.  Also reading today about a "Major office building for an engineering firm" being planned as well, unknown who this might be.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great pic update Mark. Thanks!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I've driven west on I-80 past here several times lately. The Embassy looks massive once you round the bend past "Q" Street. I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is done.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Yes, it's getting very massive now.  Driving west on Harrison will show how huge this is.  Can't wait to see the final product.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

A proposed six story, 243 room Courtyard by Marriot is on the La Vista City Council agenda tonight for approval.  This is another John Q. Hammons hotel project to be connected to the La Vista Conference Center and Embassy Suites Hotel currently under construction.  The Marriot is to include a restaurant, lounge, meeting rooms and recreation facility.  They are also planning an airport shuttle service.  An artists rendering of the project is posted on the City's web site.  www.ci.la-vista.ne.us
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the LaVista Website, 243 room Courtyard by Marriot :

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The metro is finally getting a somewhat classy looking area adjacent I-80.

Of course that will be squashed when the 370 Walmart is completed.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

The metro is finally getting a somewhat classy looking area adjacent I-80.

Of course that will be squashed when the 370 Walmart is completed.
Agreed and agreed.  I think it would be awesome if LaVista to develop the I-80 / Harrison exit into a mini-Denver tech center...maybe a nice business park similar to the FNB park on West Dodge.  I could see some low / mid-rises around 6-10 stories, maybe some apartments, condos, and some retail, shopping, etc.  They could really turn this into a nice little urban area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hampton Inn opens in La Vista

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10069572
The new Hampton Inn & Suites in La Vista is open, Hampton hotels announced Monday.

Amenities at the 120-room hotel include complimentary wireless high-speed Internet access, a complimentary hot breakfast buffet, a 24-hour business center and a shop with microwaveable meals, travel items and more. Suites at the hotel have microwave ovens and miniature refrigerators.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

[b][color=Blue]SUMMER KITCHEN CAFE AND BAKERY[/color][/b]

Post by Hoop »

Summer Kitchen "Coming Soon" sign is up at Southport, finally we see some restaurants going in out there.  The draw back will be another empty space at the Walmart Plaza.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Re: [b][color=Blue]SUMMER KITCHEN CAFE AND BAKERY[/color][/b

Post by djc311 »

Hoop wrote:Summer Kitchen "Coming Soon" sign is up at Southport, finally we see some restaurants going in out there.  The draw back will be another empty space at the Walmart Plaza.
That Plaza is like the "Crossroads" of La Vista - at least in an occupancy sense...

D
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: [b][color=Blue]SUMMER KITCHEN CAFE AND BAKERY[/color][/b

Post by nativeomahan »

djc311 wrote:
Hoop wrote:Summer Kitchen "Coming Soon" sign is up at Southport, finally we see some restaurants going in out there.  The draw back will be another empty space at the Walmart Plaza.
That Plaza is like the "Crossroads" of La Vista - at least in an occupancy sense...

D
Well, the plaza was butt ugly when it was built and it hasn't gotten any prettier in the intervening 15 years.  It could be roped off and made a museum for future generations...to show them what happens in the "free market" when there are lax building design codes.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Found this rendering on the http://www.embassysuitesomahalavista.com website...

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hmmm...nothing revolutionary as far as architecture...it'll play though I guess
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The size of the building is impressive from I80
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Any word on tenants coming out here?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fantasy's opened up this week and they are selling gas at $2.59. Casey's up the street is at $2.89
I have no idea how long they will keep the price that low - but they are going to get serious business from PayPal.
Their parking lots were practically full the other day so they must be around capacity employment.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

The hotel is adjacent to the new Cabela’s and just minutes from Omaha’s famous Old Market district, Shadow Lake Towne Center and Village Pointe shopping center. Creighton University, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, Offutt Air Force Base and the area’s many attractions are easily within reach.

They may as well add the fact that just down I80th street in the Des Moines suburb is Adventureland   :D
Jays Fan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jays Fan »

It is $2.59 for E85, not mid grade.  Mid grade is the other price listed on the sign, and is in line with what other gas stations are offering.  I thought it was pretty deceiving when I drove by.  I was disappointed they did not build a car wash.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - that is deceiving.
SychoBC wrote:Any word on tenants coming out here?
I believe the latest is Island Bar and Grill in the western building of the Fantasy's Center on the north side, on the south side is Taco Del Mar. There will be Learning with Love Child Care Center (140 children max) in Southport Plaza east of Southport One and Two Professional Buildings. There will also be a Southport East Office Building to the east of Securities America and an Office Building south of there. Other new additions include Jimmy John's and On The Rocks in the new Southport Center. Summer's Kitchen and Taco Bueno on the SW triangle. Runza, Taco John's and Burger King and Security National Bank have already been mentioned east of the Hampton Inn & Suites.
Last edited by Coyote on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Summer Kitchen Cafe and Runza are at various stages of construction.  I drive by this area twice every workday, and would love to have some more restaurant choices.  I finally today ate at Jimmy John's for the first time, and loved it!  I am glad to hear they will be going into this area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah - Runza should open soon - the others by the end of next summer. I love Jimmy Johns. Best subs around in my opinion - especially the Gargantuan. Too bad it has 1200 calories.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:Too bad it has 1200 calories.
I could burn that off commuting back and forth to Fremont...

...on foot.

-Big E
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

nativeomahan wrote:I am glad to hear they will be going into this area.
JJ's is opening another store at 108th & Q.  They've been working on it for a while now and there just a few finishing touches inside left to complete before its open.  I also heard a Chipotle will be opening up next door to it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I am glad to hear they will be going into this area.
JJ's is opening another store at 108th & Q.  They've been working on it for a while now and there just a few finishing touches inside left to complete before its open.  I also heard a Chipotle will be opening up next door to it.
There are not enough of either around town!

Southport is Just Exploding right now!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another Hotel Going Up:

Embassy Suites and Convention Center:

Securities America:

Pinnacle Bank:

Fantasy's and Strip Mall:

Runza:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Runza is now open.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Embassy Suites is now scheduled to open June 1st.
SRT84WD
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SRT84WD »

I heard yesterday that Security Nat'l bank is going to put a branch next to Runza in this development.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SRT84WD wrote:I heard yesterday that Security Nat'l bank is going to put a branch next to Runza in this development.
Yes there has been a sign there for a while. The latest list from December:
Coyote wrote:
SychoBC wrote:Any word on tenants coming out here?
I believe the latest is Island Bar and Grill in the western building of the Fantasy's Center on the north side, on the south side is Taco Del Mar. There will be Learning with Love Child Care Center (140 children max) in Southport Plaza east of Southport One and Two Professional Buildings. There will also be a Southport East Office Building to the east of Securities America and an Office Building south of there. Other new additions include Jimmy John's and On The Rocks in the new Southport Center. Summer's Kitchen and Taco Bueno on the SW triangle. Runza, Taco John's and Burger King and Security National Bank have already been mentioned east of the Hampton Inn & Suites.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First Hotel almost done:

Convention Center:

Second Hotel Underway:

Southport East, second "Twin" is now complete:

Something at the very back of the building:

Southport's new pet hawk! :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Southport Center in La Vista focuses on smaller retail offerings

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10299071
Trenton Magid, president of Coldwell Banker Commercial World Group, said at least 4,500 people work in the development. His firm manages and handles leasing for Southport Center, a retail area under construction in Southport East.

"A lot of the office ground has gone first. We've populated the area," Magid said. "Now we need the services to go along with the population . . . Now it's a natural for national and local retailers to capitalize on that growth."

Three tenants have signed leases for Southport Center, which consists of two buildings totaling 43,000 square feet, Magid said.

Construction on the first building started in January and is expected to be completed Sept. 1.

Jimmy John's restaurant will occupy 1,804 square feet at the east end of the first building. At the west end of that building, the owners of On the Rocks, a bar near 168th and Harrison Streets, plan to operate a pub, Magid said. The Pizza Gourmet will occupy 4,815 square feet in the middle.

Six bays remain available for lease in the first building, which was designed by TSP Architects and is being built by Oakview Construction.

The second Southport Center building has 12 bays — four of them are preleased to a local, high-end restaurant, said John L. Hoich, Southport Center's owner and developer.
He said he also knows of two national restaurants that are "very close to landing at Southport West." One is family-oriented, and one is a steakhouse, he said. Both are sit-down restaurants covering 5,000 to 6,000 square feet each, and both would be new to the Omaha market, he said.

Magid said that he originally had expected sit-down restaurants to commit to the development sooner but that national chains have slowed expansions across the country. Still, the La Vista development is drawing national interest.
In Southport West:

• Douglas Theatre Co. announced in August that it planned to open a 14-screen movie complex in the late summer or fall of this year on 10 acres east of Cabela's. Since then, however, Marcus Theatres Corp. of Milwaukee has signed an agreement to buy seven Douglas Theatre Co. locations in Omaha and Lincoln. Marcus tentatively has agreed to buy the La Vista site for about $4.4 million.

• A 257-room Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center is scheduled to open in June.

• A 221-room Marriott Courtyard is scheduled to open in early fall.
camps
New to the Neighborhood

Post by camps »

I read through this post quickly, so I apologize if its already been posted, and take this for what its worth...heresay...but my neighbor works for the company who built out all 3 Famous Dave's in town (as well as a few out of town) and he said at the weekend BBQ there are plans to build a Famous Dave's by Cabela's (which could only mean Southport).  Again, its just a rumor from a guy who knows some guys, but I thought I'd post it here in the Southport thread instead of in the rumors section.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I didn't see a post, but I have heard the same rumor too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I didn't see a post, but I have heard the same rumor too.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6411

It came up in this thread and was mentioned by a couple of people
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Conference center, hotel fill demand in Sarpy County
LEIA BAEZ WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Embassy Suites Omaha-La Vista Hotel and adjoining La Vista Conference Center will open next month in the Southport development, filling what city officials call a longstanding demand in Sarpy County. A 246-room Courtyard by Marriott, which is being constructed southwest of the conference center, is scheduled to open in February 2009. Embassy Suites, the conference center and the Courtyard by Marriott are owned and operated by developer John Q. Hammons.

The Nebraska Association of School Boards and the Nebraska Association of School Administrators will bring about 1,000 people for each of their joint annual conferences at the La Vista Conference Center in November of 2008 and 2009. The conference center has already booked 153 events for 2008, including the Nebraska Republican Party Convention in July, an American Heart Association event in September and a regional conference for the Society of American Military Engineers in October.
camps
New to the Neighborhood

Post by camps »

Nevermind on the Famous Dave's at SouthPort, they are taking over the old Austin's Steakhouse on 120th & L, so I can't imagine they'll have 2 locations that close together.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Summer Kitchen coming right along:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Kitchen move
Omaha World Herald wrote:The Summer Kitchen Cafe in La Vista is moving next week. Co-owner Roger Bargstadt said the doors at 7855 South 83rd St. will close Monday. The new site, in the Southport development east of Interstate 80 between Giles Road and Harrison Street, will open its drive-through Wednesday and the full restaurant Thursday.