Southport (126th - Giles - I80)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Southport (126th - Giles - I80)

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:There will be a New Sonic built in the Southport area near I80 and Giles Road. This per a statement by Cutchall management in a story about Chick Fil A

http://www.omaha.com/money/chick-fil-a- ... 6d9a4.html

Wonder if it will go in Southeport West where Cabella's is or Southport East where the rest of the Fast Food restaurants are? I know they said "By Cabella's", but most people generalize that whole area by Cabella's.

At one point with Simons was still alive and running BK and Taco Johns we had a Taco Johns diesigned and ready to go next to Burger King in southport east. If you ever go to the BK in southport, you will notice there is no curb along the north side of the parking lot, the Taco Johns was going to but right up to the BK lot.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:There will be a New Sonic built in the Southport area near I80 and Giles Road. This per a statement by Cutchall management in a story about Chick Fil A

http://www.omaha.com/money/chick-fil-a- ... 6d9a4.html

Wonder if it will go in Southeport West where Cabella's is or Southport East where the rest of the Fast Food restaurants are? I know they said "By Cabella's", but most people generalize that whole area by Cabella's.

At one point with Simons was still alive and running BK and Taco Johns we had a Taco Johns diesigned and ready to go next to Burger King in southport east. If you ever go to the BK in southport, you will notice there is no curb along the north side of the parking lot, the Taco Johns was going to but right up to the BK lot.
It would seem to make more since if it was East. It is vaguely stated for sure but East would be better esp for a Drive In concept. Time will tell I guess.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Not trying to sound totally snarky, but does anyone here themselves or even know anyone that frequents Sonic? Just asking. Sometimes, I"m surprised they are still around. I don't know of anyone that eats there. I probably last ate there 5 years ago after a softball game. I've always found them to be one of the more uninspiring fast food choices around. Somewhere along the lines of an A&W. Too bad Southport didn't get something better.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I despise those commercials with Jagodowski and Grosz so much that I refuse to entertain the thought of going to a Sonic's.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I will avoid them at all costs and too am surprised how well they do. The commercials are bad but that is down my list a ways on reasons I steer clear. That being said I am always surprised at the number of cars I see at them at most locations.

I have probably been to one maybe three times in the last 5 years and only because I was making the choice where to stop.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Am I the only one that likes those commercials?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Linkin5 wrote:Am I the only one that likes those commercials?
Yes. Those dudes need throat punches.

But, they are probably pretty effective ads. If nothing else, they get you thinking about Sonic. We are talking about them here. If you happen to like their food, you'll think about them even more. My one or two advertising classes made it clear that half the battle in advertising is getting it stuck in your head which in turn makes you think about the product.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think they are funny. In a "The Office" kind of way.

Apparently they roll around the country and film at different stores.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

omaha79 wrote:Not trying to sound totally snarky, but does anyone here themselves or even know anyone that frequents Sonic? Just asking. Sometimes, I"m surprised they are still around. I don't know of anyone that eats there. I probably last ate there 5 years ago after a softball game. I've always found them to be one of the more uninspiring fast food choices around. Somewhere along the lines of an A&W. Too bad Southport didn't get something better.
Don't know why but my parents go there all the time. I remember as a kid despising when they decided on sonic. As of late, I've begrudgingly eaten it like twice a year because it was somehow the best option. low quality food for a surprisingly high price. I try to only go there for 1/2 price shakes.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I used to like Sonic when they had some kind of BLT 10+ years ago. But it's been years since I've conscientiously gone there.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Busguy2010 wrote:
omaha79 wrote:Not trying to sound totally snarky, but does anyone here themselves or even know anyone that frequents Sonic? Just asking. Sometimes, I"m surprised they are still around. I don't know of anyone that eats there. I probably last ate there 5 years ago after a softball game. I've always found them to be one of the more uninspiring fast food choices around. Somewhere along the lines of an A&W. Too bad Southport didn't get something better.
Don't know why but my parents go there all the time. I remember as a kid despising when they decided on sonic. As of late, I've begrudgingly eaten it like twice a year because it was somehow the best option. low quality food for a surprisingly high price. I try to only go there for 1/2 price shakes.

I think I would reconsider who you have a parents!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

When did the first Sonic's open in this area? I remember when they were mostly a Southern and S. eastern thing.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:When did the first Sonic's open in this area? I remember when they were mostly a Southern and S. eastern thing.
I want to say early 2000's. I was in high school and remember one of my classmates talking about getting a job there as a carhop after the one on 156th and Q was built.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:

Agreed. Kinda surprised all the hate they are getting.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Louie wrote:
Brad wrote:

Agreed. Kinda surprised all the hate they are getting.
In the Chicago improv world, and probably outside as well, TJ Jagodowski (the bald one) is a legend. He is a hilarious improvser and someone thousands of aspiring comedians who go through the Chicago comedy circuit look up to. He's Spielberg, Hanks, Beyonce. The Sonic commercials don't do him justice.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Another no new news update on Costco

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/costco- ... 16561.html

..............................He said at the time that the new store would be the same size as the 153,000-square-foot Omaha Costco near 120th Street and West Dodge Road. He said the new store will start with 200 to 225 employees and will feature a fueling station and two outdoor seating areas.
Green wouldn’t confirm any specific plans for the new store. But he said it will most likely be similar to the existing Costco and will feature “whatever the latest and greatest Costco things are for our members.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lots of dirt moving south of Cabella's on the Costo lot. They built a large dirt berm from the Costco lot over the road to where they are dumping all the dirt south of the Alamo complex.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Not sure if this is mentioned already or not, but a new Costco is going in right there near Cabella's. There's also new apartments going up across I-80 on another triangular piece of land between I-80 and 132nd St. I have waited for years for them to develop that piece of land, often wondering when. Finally now!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Entrance to CostCo

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Woo hoo! I'm thinking about joining Costco. I've been part of Sams Club.

When I drive from 144th & I-80 (Sapp Brothers) into Omaha, I just love seeing all this stuff finally going up there to my right. It's almost like the twin-ribbon interstate held the "flood" of suburban development back for decades, but now, it has nowhere else to go, "it" has spilled over the interstate, and "water" is going everywhere. That's the way I think of it. :)
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Any news on what could be going into the bays to the east of Alamo Drafthouse? I went to a movie a few nights ago and thought if anyone knew, it'd be someone on here!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

BPHusker wrote:Any news on what could be going into the bays to the east of Alamo Drafthouse? I went to a movie a few nights ago and thought if anyone knew, it'd be someone on here!

Haven't heard or seen anything yet on what will be there. If Loopnet is accurate at all to predict availability it only shows one bay left to lease in this strip complex.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Not part of southport, but just on the other side of 80 straight north: anyone know what the warehouse lookin building (adjacent to budweiser) is going to be?
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Choice Hotel (next to Summer Kitchen)

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I got a job at Securities America last month, love it!

Anyhow, does anyone know where Port Grace Boulevard got it's name? I can't see any likely societal or cultural references during a cursory glance at Google. And the area's developers seem to have moved on and closed their webpage.

Thanks!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Image
Been trying to shoot this again for work, but every time I go there, there is a stupid dumpster or outhouse in the way. We keep using a photo while it was under construction.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Costco is hiring now and say they are opening in October.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Costco is hiring now and say they are opening in October.
That Oct date has been stated for a while and I thought it was aggressive. Over the last week the steel framework of the building has popped up. Since it is not much more than a shell when finished the time now seems doable. They also have the advantage of hiring and training at the existing store with over staffing to be ready for an open.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Shell up, Roof on, Coolers installed, Gas canopy up and sign installed on it.
takeiteasy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by takeiteasy »

Galaxy Ventures, owned by Bryce Bares (Dunkin' Donuts), purchased the lot right next to Runza on the corner Giles Rd and Eastport Parkway. Purchase made last month.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The first walls went up for the Sonic today. In the lot next to Sonic, all the construction stakes are in the ground for Dunkin Donuts.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Why do we keep getting more of the same old stuff why couldn't they have found first to the market franchises for once?!
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Why do we keep getting more of the same old stuff why couldn't they have found first to the market franchises for once?!
Like Smitty's Burgers, R Taco, Taco Ville, Spin Neapolitan Pizza, Kolache Factory, Eat Fit Go, that have all opened around here in the past year... Heck even 2 years ago everyone was excited Dunkin was coming to town.

We don't just get new businesses because we want them. Most franchises or businesses start in a region and grow contiguous from that region. LaVista or even the developer of Southport can't just roll in to In-N-Out Burger and say you need to Come to the Omaha market and expect them to come. You need a company looking to expand to the Omaha market and then you usually need a local franchisee that wants to invest a lot of money in bringing them here. Throwing out 5-10 mill for a stand alone fast food restaurant that is un-proven in our area is had to convince people to do.

A lot of chain places need a distribution network and management network that benefits having multiple location in a city to keep costs under control. Combine that with a major intersection right off the interstate, next to a bunch of hotels, its kind of a no brainier to expand here.

One more thing, Fast food doesn't have a strong pull. People in that area are not going to drive to 156 & Q to go to Sonic. Just like they are not going to drive to 108& Q to go to Dunkin Donuts. You kind of need lots of locations if you want to try to serve all areas of town.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I assumed there were convoluted machinations as to where when why how but regardless this will be next to the second largest tourist destination in the state with a medium sized convention hotel a Cabbalas a Costco all along what will become a MAJOR corridor in the future also La Vistas Golden Mile not to far away all as Sarpy county's population booms and a Dunkin' Donuts.... just saying I'd expect more a whole lot more.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MTO wrote:I assumed there were convoluted machinations as to where when why how but regardless this will be next to the second largest tourist destination in the state with a medium sized convention hotel a Cabbalas a Costco all along what will become a MAJOR corridor in the future also La Vistas Golden Mile not to far away all as Sarpy county's population booms and a Dunkin' Donuts.... just saying I'd expect more a whole lot more.
Right??? Everyone wants to put on a parade every time a new Panera opens up. Okay, I get it, cinnamon bagels. Been there, done that. Let's move on to something different. I never go out to West Omaha. Don't need to. It most likely has the same businesses that I have in my neighborhood. Just bigger houses. Oooooooo, their Hy-Vee has an olive bar. Big whoop.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Why do we keep getting more of the same old stuff why couldn't they have found first to the market franchises for once?!
I guess my other thought is why do you even want new franchises(new to the market or not)? Why not local/independent eating options?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

choke wrote:
MTO wrote:I assumed there were convoluted machinations as to where when why how but regardless this will be next to the second largest tourist destination in the state with a medium sized convention hotel a Cabbalas a Costco all along what will become a MAJOR corridor in the future also La Vistas Golden Mile not to far away all as Sarpy county's population booms and a Dunkin' Donuts.... just saying I'd expect more a whole lot more.
Right??? Everyone wants to put on a parade every time a new Panera opens up. Okay, I get it, cinnamon bagels. Been there, done that. Let's move on to something different. I never go out to West Omaha. Don't need to. It most likely has the same businesses that I have in my neighborhood. Just bigger houses. Oooooooo, their Hy-Vee has an olive bar. Big whoop.

You go look at your Hy-Vee on 50th Center or that one right across the bridge in Council Bluffs and then you come out and look at West Omaha's Hy-Vees and you will notice the main and number one reason our Hy-Vees are better is because we are cleaner. Much cleaner! Clean is good.

Have you seen how many people work at that Pay Pal these days? That place alone could keep Sonic busy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote: Oooooooo, their Hy-Vee has an olive bar. Big whoop.
My Hy-Vee has a Mac-n-Cheese bar! :P
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:
I guess my other thought is why do you even want new franchises(new to the market or not)? Why not local/independent eating options?
Like what a Razzy's and Bronco's?
15-17, 26, 32