TD Ameritrade Old Mill Campus

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What were they thinking?  With so few windows it resembles a prison.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

The prison downtown is nicer.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

nativeomahan wrote:What were they thinking?  With so few windows it resembles a prison.

It appears, One side has few windows, and the other side is all windows.
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

Because the building is trying to become "Platinum LEED Certified" they are putting more windows on the south side of the building to let in sunlight and less on the other sides.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Wait what? I thought the whole thing was glass....
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Axel wrote:Wait what? I thought the whole thing was glass....
All glass, but a the north side looks pretty opaque.

Anyways it has to be better than working in a windowless old mall.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

A few updated pics

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You'd almost think this were intended for First Data... and they were going after the look of a 'punch card'. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

the back side of the building is very unattractive.  I assume this is what the finished product will look like.  The south side looks fine, but the back, which seems to appear like it should be the front side when going down Dodge, is almost ugly.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Remember it wont be green like that, you can see some of those white panels that will be the finished product.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't know what to make of it... I assume there's yet to be some kind of trim which ties it all together in a more attractive manner.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm worried what's going to happen when those steel construction supports are removed.

Does no one understand buildings can't fly?
Stable genius.
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

I didn't realize that there is apparently a film or something on the building, giving it the green look. (as iamjacobm points out that it's temporary) I also assume there will be trim or something added to give the building a more attractive look...  I remember being very impressed with the architects drawings and computer enhanced (or whatever you call it) view of it in color with people in the background, trees, etc...but now that I think about it, those pictures were a night scene, in which the building will probably look it's best.  I googled "TD Ameritrade Building omaha" and saw them again... one thing I also noticed again, that I had forgotten is that the steel columns on the bottom east side will remain exposed and the front is open as it appears now.   Either way, I think the building isn't near as attractive as the Blue Cross Bldg in the Aksarben Area as well as those built downtown in recent years (UP & FNB)
perhaps it's too contemporary as well...and I'm just too old
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

another thing I forgot to mention...when driving east on dodge street, you see the building almost in an "upside down T" formation... but what is up with those boxes on top that were built on top of the lower two-story wings?    they look strange.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Big E wrote:I'm worried what's going to happen when those steel construction supports are removed.

Does no one understand buildings can't fly?
:lol:
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The design of this building is still intriguing me.  I can't wait to see what it looks like when its complete.  Last time I went that way, there was only a floor or two left until all the glass has been installed.
where the corn meets the concrete
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looking at the city cams, it appears that the building is close to having the glass installed (maybe one floor left).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Looking at the city cams, it appears that the building is close to having the glass installed (maybe one floor left).
I shot some photos of it yesterday afternoon, but I have been under the weather so I never got around to posting them.  I will get them posted later today.

I think the top floor is not a floor, it appears to be all mechanical.  The glass is going in on the top "open" floor, right under the mechanical.
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

Talked to a contractor this weekend – that seafoam green color is the final color – there is no protective film or anything like that on the glass – at least according to him.  He also said that there are many unhappy individuals within AMTD about this design element.

Unfortunate outcome…
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

What are those white sections then?  They even look to no be flush with the greenish ones.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:What are those white sections then?  They even look to no be flush with the greenish ones.
When I was looking yesterday, it looked like spots where the green glass was missing.  May be it broke or something?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:What are those white sections then?  They even look to no be flush with the greenish ones.
When I was looking yesterday, it looked like spots where the green glass was missing.  May be it broke or something?
So there is white glass behind the green glass?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It looks like it.  Anywhere that is not one of the few dark windows appears to have white behind it?  I have no clue on this one?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

The white spaces look like spots where they just haven't put in green glass yet. I don't think the white is glass, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm not sure why, but whenever I see construction pictures of buildings they always have a random window here and there missing until it's completed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

each section is more than just a piece of glass, its the whole "curtain wall".  It they might be taking off the green outer layer to do more work.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Ladies & gentleman...this is my take: the "dark" areas are solar tinted transparent windows (you can look out of them and make out typical detail, like your home windows), and the lighter green areas are either internally insulated and opaque, or translucent (lets in light only, without detail).  The photo detail that leads one to this conclusion are the limited "dark areas" (transparent glass) on the north, where you want to limit colder, indirect sunlight, and the full width "dark areas" on the south, where in the winter, in our climate, you want as much solar gain (heat) as possible.  Also, if one looks closely at the south elevation, he will see the external overhanging "solar blinds" over each floor's windows, that block out some Summer (higher angle) solar gain, while allowing full Winter (low angle) solar gain.  If you view the pictures/building with this in mind, the differences make sense, and only the random spacing of transparent  windows on the north, east and west sides are in question...ie: what was the architect thinking when he (she) came up with that??  Most likely the stack of "dark" windows are stairwells, and the wider areas of light green are general office areas, ie: cubicles, restrooms, storerooms, etc.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

l-dude wrote:Ladies & gentleman...this is my take: the "dark" areas are solar tinted transparent windows (you can look out of them and make out typical detail, like your home windows), and the lighter green areas are either internally insulated and opaque, or translucent (lets in light only, without detail).  The photo detail that leads one to this conclusion are the limited "dark areas" (transparent glass) on the north, where you want to limit colder, indirect sunlight, and the full width "dark areas" on the south, where in the winter, in our climate, you want as much solar gain (heat) as possible.  Also, if one looks closely at the south elevation, he will see the external overhanging "solar blinds" over each floor's windows, that block out some Summer (higher angle) solar gain, while allowing full Winter (low angle) solar gain.  If you view the pictures/building with this in mind, the differences make sense, and only the random spacing of transparent  windows on the north, east and west sides are in question...ie: what was the architect thinking when he (she) came up with that??  Most likely the stack of "dark" windows are stairwells, and the wider areas of light green are general office areas, ie: cubicles, restrooms, storerooms, etc.
You want to know my take? That building sucks.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

That's what happens when the Canadians get involved?  Each to their own.  Probably good that this wasn't built downtown, as it might fit the eclectic architecture of that area and then p!ss off other forum commenters.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This is perhaps one of the most....odd....glass patterns/designs I've seen in a while. I was kind of hoping the pea green color was just a covering to protect the glass during the winter construction.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I still think that green is just a temporary covering so they don't damage what's underneath it while the are still building it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looking back at this rendering I think that it is staying green.  The building looks very close to the rendering.

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not nearly as many buildings made of gelatin as that rendering shows.
Stable genius.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

skinzfan23 wrote:Looking back at this rendering I think that it is staying green.  The building looks very close to the rendering.

There are just some things that look better on paper....   ther rendering looks great but each time I see another floor of glass the more i am disappointed :/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

But a rendering from the same post makes it look white.

I realize I am probably wrong, but look at the white panels showing through.  To me the white would look like a great finished product.

I am curious as to why something like a half dozen green panels are gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

but if you look at the photo I posted yesterday, most have been replaced.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:Image
Is it going to be transparent? I can see through it in that rendering. :lol:
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I still laugh at the amount of surface parking surrounding a "Leed Certified" building.