Another big organic grocer coming to Omaha

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Another big organic grocer coming to Omaha

Post by eomaha »

In case you hadn't heard... Burlington Coat Factory moved into the closed Kmart on West Center Road.

Apparently Whole Foods... a large, national organic grocer chain will occupy the former Burlington location on Regency Parkway (for those old enough to remember... originally the Sheplers Western wear store). A competitor... Wild Oats Natural Marketplace ... is opening its second location at Village Pointe (I love their salad 'bar'... you 'pay by the pound').

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1022478
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I, for one, think this is great. When I lived in Austin Whole Foods was one of the grocery stores I would frequent. While I like Wild Oats, I think the selection of Whole Foods will be better - especially the 'artisan cheeses' - being a cheese monger. I'm surprised Omaha, the produce center it has always been, hasn't brought in more grocery stores of this like. Austin has an even better store than Whole Foods, Central Market, which I consider the prime shopping experience. If you are what you eat, you are where you shop, and I think this is a good image for Omaha to have a Whole Foods (to compete with Super Walmart).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Fantastic!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

$$$

Post by Brad »

How are the Prices?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Having a larger selection, Whole Foods is less expensive than Wild Oats. However, the plans I see for the Wild Oats at Village Pointe make it look larger than their other stores. Is there a square footage listed for the new Wild Oats? From most of their stores I have been to from Colorado to Texas they generally are not very large.