Life Time Fitness coming to Legacy

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

lonnie
Library Board

Life Time Fitness coming to Legacy

Post by lonnie »

I heard a rumor that "Life Time Fitness" was coming to Legacy. There is a 25 acre lot owned by Cormac that is open.

Life Time does not (yet) list Omaha...
http://www.lifetimefitness.com/clubs/

Location: SW corner of 168 & West Center, surounded by Oak Drive and Wright St.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 4,0.020921

Anyone else know anything?

Lonnie
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Okay, now that's kind of funny. Do these fitness centers all have a similar architecture?

Look at the facade from their webpage...

... and the overhead from Tribedo...

Probably just a coincidence, huh? :D Is the rumor source sure it would be going to Legacy?
Last edited by eomaha on Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

jhuston wrote:Probably just a coincidence, huh? :D Is the rumor source sure it would be going to Legacy?
Yes, Legacy was the location. My source also said that Bear Properties was waiting on the layout of Phase II of the Shops at Legacy to 'service' the layout of the Fitness Center.

There has been a survey crew at this location for the last week or so.

"Life Time Fitness" looks like a pretty spiffy outfit. My source said the building would have two floors.

Lonnie
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Well, regardless of which developer landed or lands them... looks like another new business coming to the metro.

Thanks for the scoop lonnie!

EDIT: and check this out... with the pool looking area in mind on that Tribedo site plan as well.

Sounds like a very impressive facility.
Life Time Fitness offers you the most complete health and fitness experience with quality and value you can feel great about -- whether you want to maintain your general health, nurture your family's fitness or develop your competitive edge.

Visit our centers and you'll find them inviting, friendly and with something for everyone including:

Hundreds of the latest cardiovascular and weight machines
Indoor/outdoor water parks with waterslides
Sport courts and rock climbing caverns
Innovative classes, instructors and trainers
Incredible Child Center for kids ages 3 mos. To 11 yrs.
24-hour access, free lockers and towels

At Life Time Fitness, you'll also find our own nutritional products and an award-winning magazine. That's because everything we do is built on three cornerstones: exercise, nutrition and education.

Through our centers, products and services, Life Time Fitness is your answer to a healthy way of life.

Post by Guest »

There a a fair number of Life Time Fitness centers in Minneapolis. They are 2 stories, and generally look like the building pictured above. When I was in Minneapolis, their monthly dues were very reasonable compared to some of the other fitness chains.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If it is two stories will it have access like this fitness center :lol:

Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it!!!!!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i work at prairie life center on 132nd and Center, and from what I have heard, this can be moved out of the rumors section. Its pretty much a done deal, except there is a little confusion on where it will be built, but I am pretty sure it will be in the Legacy development. I also heard there is a big plot of land that is being dug up in legacy that is surrounded by fence and has a crane, some think that that is where its going to be.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

omahastylee459 wrote:i work at prairie life center on 132nd and Center, and from what I have heard, this can be moved out of the rumors section. Its pretty much a done deal, except there is a little confusion on where it will be built, but I am pretty sure it will be in the Legacy development.
Good info.
omahastylee459 wrote:I also heard there is a big plot of land that is being dug up in legacy that is surrounded by fence and has a crane, some think that that is where its going to be.
No, the area with the crane is a "Cancer Medical Center", opening in the Fall of 2007.
Reported here:
http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2245

Lonnie
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

that would be cool to have a fitness center DT, but how many apartments/lofts actually have fitness centers now? One of the benefits of urban living now seem to be the presence of on site facilities.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

u are right when you say that many buildings have fitness centers. Oh wow, a couple treadmills and a 500 in one exercise machine. Downtown residents do not have many options for a health club. One that offers classes/massage/swimming/tanning/pilates/cycling/tennis and racquetball/juice bar and so on and so on, along with a full service fitness center.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Yes...finally....I hope

Post by midtown charlie »

I was hoping for a long time that PLC would open up a location downtown or near downtown. I have to travel out to 132nd and center and this would be much closer.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Isn't there one on like 84th and Q?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Swift wrote:Isn't there one on like 84th and Q?
Yes

Post by Guest »

Gang,

I have another source confirming the rumor...

"Life Time Fitness has a contract to purchase (in Legacy) but needs to wait and get through the City of Omaha's hoops and loops. Looks promising."

Lonnie
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Oh goody, another suburban pansy healthclub, I never like the atmosphere and patrons at life time’s. But hey it’s another gain for the metro and it may spark some suburbanites to get off their davenports.
15-17, 26, 32
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

In todays OWH Building Permits: "17007 Elm Plaza, new building, $4,720,223".

This is a 13+ acre plot in Legacy.

I assume this is the Lifetime Fitness?

Lonnie
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Hey Lonnie, sounds about right. They are supposedly starting on that project this month, but who knows?

In any case, I was reading back through the other posts on this topic, and I find it interesting that people refer to SW Omaha health clubs as a place for pansies. I guess unless you live in a part of town that's 75 years old or more, you aren't really a citizen of Omaha...

D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

djc311 wrote:In any case, I was reading back through the other posts on this topic, and I find it interesting that people refer to SW Omaha health clubs as a place for pansies. I guess unless you live in a part of town that's 75 years old or more, you aren't really a citizen of Omaha...

D
To be fair, it was 1 forum member not 'people' as you infer..

In any case, lets stay on topic. We don't want to lock a Rumors thread (or any thread for that matter) because of another ridiculous east vs west Omaha debate..

Again..Lets stay on topic..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

I agree

D
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I also concur :D
15-17, 26, 32

Post by Guest »

Signs showing "Coming Soon" for LifeTime Fitness were planted today at Legacy.

This thread can be moved out of the Rumor section.

Lonnie
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for the update Lonnie!
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Yep, Lonnie & I knew what we were talking about months ago! In any case, they're moving along very efficiently on the project already. The company (Heimes Excavating) that my cousin works for is doing the dirt work. They dropped off sewer pipes today & should be installing them next week.

I head they have to put the footings 50ft. into the dirt on their lot. Damn! I know for most of you, especially those living on the east side of Westroads, may not care too much about this place, but they avg. about 2500-3000 cars a day at their locations.

This will be a huge benefit to all of us who own businesses in this sector, especially when these members join w/ their entire families. I'm very excited to see others opening soon nearby, including the new Rockbrook Camera and some other tenants that have signed in Legacy...

D
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I'm very interested in getting a membership, but not sure because it's so far from where I live and even further from where I'm going to live after the lease is up. I took the virtual tour and it looks awesome. A little higher priced, but I think you get what you pay for.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

24 Hour access..Hmmm..Definitely competition for 24 Hour Fitness..And my current 5 year membership to their 144th and F location..I may have to check them out..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The World Herald finally picks up this news:

Fitness center aims for 'country club feel'
Omaha World Herald wrote:Life Time Fitness Inc. is scheduled to open the 110,000-square-foot facility - which will feature indoor and outdoor amenities including two large swimming pools, several waterslides, a spa and cafe - in late 2007, spokesman Kent Wipf said Tuesday.

Wipf said the company selected Omaha after extensive site surveys and market research. "We looked at the market and determined what was there and how we would fit. . . . Omaha is a good fit." Life Time Fitness is geared toward families, he said. The center will have a "country-club feel" with wood and marble finishes and natural lighting, Wipf said.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

You know, it's kinda funny they ran something about this so early. I wrote to the OWH often, before, during & after we opened both of our stores, and could barely get a "mention" in the dining notes section of Living.

I guess you have to be a big-time player to get any press by the OWH...

Of course, I thought having a chocolate enrobing machine to see in action would have got their attention! :?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

djc311 wrote:I guess you have to be a big-time player to get any press by the OWH...
Its all who you know. Too bad, I would have liked to see their spin on that. Creative caption and all.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

djc311 wrote:I guess you have to be a big-time player to get any press by the OWH...

Of course, I thought having a chocolate enrobing machine to see in action would have got their attention! :?
You just need to pay them. It works everytime, but it's expensive.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

That's gonna be a very huge gym.  Just how I like it.  I see too many of these storefront operations now and shake my head in disgust.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Construction Update:

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

That place is crazy big! Looks like its going to look fairly good too.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

the1wags wrote:That place is crazy big! Looks like its going to look fairly good too.
This will blow away any other gym or fitness center in Omaha. No kiddin'! Besides the fact it has indoor/outdoor water park features, is open 24 hours a day, and has a huge rock climbing wall. It's the most upscale facility around. And, if you have a family, you can join for about $100/month. Which, btw, if you compare that to the rates of places like Prairie Life or Lakeside Wellness, you get WAY MORE for your $$$$$.

And, even though we're a tenant right across the street from their location, we didn't get any "perks" to join or freebie memberships. So, I'm voicing my opinion based on the research I've been doing on them.

D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This picture doesn't do justice to how large this building is. It is Huge

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

It's the most upscale facility around. And, if you have a family, you can join for about $100/month. Which, btw, if you compare that to the rates of places like Prairie Life or Lakeside Wellness, you get WAY MORE for your $$$$$.
Untrue statement.

Prairie Life and Lifetime have just about the same rates (Around $50 for one person per month) BUT for Prairie Life, that includes ALL of the classes you want to take, ALL of your childrens classes, AND child day care.  Lifetime does not include any of that with their fees, you have to pay extra, and big time.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Coyote wrote:This picture doesn't do justice to how large this building is. It is Huge

It is huge, and a fabulous building.  Precast concrete covered with REAL stone and hand-laid brick.

Opening day is June 13, 2007.

Omaha is fortunate Lifetime selected our area... no tax incentives or taxpayer money.  Capitalism at its finest.

Lonnie
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

omahastylee459 wrote:
It's the most upscale facility around. And, if you have a family, you can join for about $100/month. Which, btw, if you compare that to the rates of places like Prairie Life or Lakeside Wellness, you get WAY MORE for your $$$$$.
Untrue statement.

Prairie Life and Lifetime have just about the same rates (Around $50 for one person per month) BUT for Prairie Life, that includes ALL of the classes you want to take, ALL of your childrens classes, AND child day care.  Lifetime does not include any of that with their fees, you have to pay extra, and big time.
That's true - and exactly why places like Prairie Life & Lakeside Wellness Center have felt they need to abandon initiation fees & other high-priced "extras". I guess it's because they were feeling generous, not because they knew they were going to get their butts kicked by the ONLY 24HR. facility w/ the features they have. My bad! Oh, and I did I mention INDOOR & OUTDOOR waterpark-type attractions.... ooooo
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah Mark... you missed the water slides on the east side of the building, but thanks for the update.  :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.