Official: Whispering Ridge (168&Maple)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Good start.  Now, if we could just start bulldozing the rest of the suburbs like we did our downtown for the last 60 years and rebuild them like this, we might be on to something.

-Big E
Stable genius.

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Postby cdub » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:42 am

Wow, you guys are really easy to please!  A Strip building flanked by two pad sites with apts behind...  Its not bad, though.

Linkin5
County Board

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:59 am

^This development has more than that, though.  Concepts like residential units above retail space is not something you usually see in new suburban developments, so this is a move in the right direction.  Also, three story buildings is not something we have seen much of in suburban development either, sadly.

CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Postby CapitalGuy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 am

Wow, you guys are really easy to please!  A Strip building flanked by two pad sites with apts behind...  Its not bad, though.

Not all of us, just Big E. His heaven would be an acre of parking in front of a strip mall that has a painted cinder block facade and a take-and-bake pizza joint, pay check advance business, and a discount haircutter.  :;):

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:48 am

CapitalGuy wrote:

Not all of us, just Big E. His heaven would be an acre of parking in front of a strip mall that has a painted cinder block facade and a take-and-bake pizza joint, pay check advance business, and a discount haircutter.  :;):

You forgot the daycare and small branch bank.

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:22 am

CapitalGuy wrote:Not all of us, just Big E. His heaven would be an acre of parking in front of a strip mall that has a painted cinder block facade and a take-and-bake pizza joint, pay check advance business, and a discount haircutter.  :;):

My chair is moist.

-Big E
Stable genius.

thenewguy
Planning Board

Postby thenewguy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:52 am

Big E wrote:
CapitalGuy wrote:Not all of us, just Big E. His heaven would be an acre of parking in front of a strip mall that has a painted cinder block facade and a take-and-bake pizza joint, pay check advance business, and a discount haircutter.  :;):

My chair is moist.

-Big E

lol
Go Cubs Go

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Postby cdub » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:47 am

Oh yes I forgot about the residential above retail...  That isn't bad I will grant you but its only on the plan because otherwise they couldn't have retail at all... We will see if it gets built that way.

midtown charlie
Human Relations

Postby midtown charlie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:34 pm

Don't misread my optimism.  This sucks compared to what we should have had with our mixed use areas (based on the work that Omaha by Design did).  Since things are what they are, I am trying to look for the positives.  I am concerned that if we do a half-rear mixed-use area and it flops because they left out critical parts (ie street connectivity and true walkability) then people will want good ol suburban development back.  I hope not.  As Big E pointed out it is light years better than the strip malls of the past.  Mixed use seems to have a wide definition in the city of Omaha though.  Just read the city council agendas.  It can mean Leytham and it can also mean an auto repair shop next to a retail store.  Well that narrows things down a bit.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:46 pm

The Sports Authority looks to be nearing completion.  Pet-smart has not started any construction.

There is also an strip mall under construction in front of target.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Coyote
City Council

Re: Official: Whispering Ridge (168&Maple)

Postby Coyote » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:52 pm

26k of retail space going next to Hobby Lobby, west of Super Target.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.63 KiB) Viewed 507 times

cafereef
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Official: Whispering Ridge (168&Maple)

Postby cafereef » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Coyote wrote:26k of retail space going next to Hobby Lobby, west of Super Target.
image.jpeg

Now that this has broken ground, is anyone aware of any tenants? just curious what could be headed this way

Return to “Suburban Omaha Development”