Loveland Centre (90th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skywalker23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skywalker23 »

Senior Matias is closing? Are you serious? I passed by that place so many times from age 0-19, and I never once got to find out what was really inside...

and...does anyone think this area could be re-zoned for residential? there are houses all up 90th street north of there.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

skywalker23 wrote:Senior Matias is closing? Are you serious?
:(
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Damn it.  The wife and I ate at La Mesa last Saturday and it sucked.  I commented that we should have gone to Senior Matia's.  Looks like we need to head there pronto.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Drove by here the other day... sorry if I haven't read the thread closely enough... but it appears they are going to demolish the entire strip.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I stopped going to Senior Matias.  Their food took a drastic turn for the worse about 6 months ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:Drove by here the other day... sorry if I haven't read the thread closely enough... but it appears they are going to demolish the entire strip.
When I talked to Slosberg several years ago he said that it was going to get renovated, but I believe he didn't want the magnitude of this project known. I believe the 10 story mixed use is still on for the NW corner. I haven't looked to see if the houses he owns have been rezoned yet. I don't know if he knew at that time what he would do to all the land he owns on the NE corner, but it could be a huge project.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

All that is going to happen here is a new strip with a better look and some landscaping.  There will be a small (bank maybe) pad site at the south corner where the gas station was.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Way to upset in all these nerds' Wheaties.  :)

Upset for Pyss? Come on.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A new strip with a better look?  And landscaping? I was hoping for a new strip with an uglier look and the same zero landscaping.  This strip has been an eyesore in an otherwise thriving neighborhood for 20 years.  It is the ugliest strip mall of its size anywhere in Omaha, which just baffles me as to why.
skywalker23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skywalker23 »

nativeomahan wrote:A new strip with a better look?  And landscaping? I was hoping for a new strip with an uglier look and the same zero landscaping.  This strip has been an eyesore in an otherwise thriving neighborhood for 20 years.  It is the ugliest strip mall of its size anywhere in Omaha, which just baffles me as to why.
Maybe because it is like 30% occupied.

I wonder what kind of businesses could be successful there. I honestly can't think of any business that the location would be perfect for, or even very good for.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Its vacant because the owners have been letting everyone's lease term run out so they can tear it down.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Both sides of 90th have been like they are for roughly 5 years. I will believe they are doing something there when I see it. You are telling me that a barber shop and Senior Matias are what's holding this entire thing up? I find that pretty hard to believe.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Among other things yes.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

This thread has been a great read for me. I moved to the Rockbrook area in spring 2009 and drive by this area often. With the amount of traffic in this area and the fact that it is in District 66 I was amazed that there wasn't something located here. I had no idea what used to be on the NW corner and was very surprised at the sorry state of the strip mall on the east side of the street. I always wondered why there was not better utilization of the land on both sides of the street and now I understand why.

Like others have stated above, I am not sure what type of business is suited for this area. Based on what is located along Center street from 72nd to 120th I could unfortunately see a strip mall and some doctor/lawyer type office space. This isn't too exciting of a development, but there definitely needs to be some fill here. Let's hope something happens within the next 5 or so years.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Shop ... 86803.html

Looks like this project is finally gonna start!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

With its proximity to three hospitals, and a large residential area, a medical office complex would be one option, also a small hotel might be viable.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Senior Matias Restaurant Auction
September 20

http://www.globalauctionguide.com/cgi-b ... yes#images
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The gas station is coming down today.  Doors open on some bays in strip mall too.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I drove by around 3:30 and most of the rubble was gone. Should be all cleaned up by tomorrow.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They are tearing up the Loveland parking lot right now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They started removing the strip mall building today.  They started on the south end where the Kelly's Carpet was located (formerly a convenient store).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wasn't that convenience store originally a Ben Franklin nickle and dime? Did it have a soda fountain? Also does anyone remember when Shakey's closed?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Coyote wrote:Wasn't that convenience store originally a Ben Franklin nickle and dime? Did it have a soda fountain? Also does anyone remember when Shakey's closed?
When I lived near there in the early 70's, that end bay was a Shaver's grocery store. The Ben Franklin was where Mangelson's is, on 84th St. I remember going to Shakey's after playing Putt-Putt. It was a bar for a while before they built the Hy-Vee.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

zippy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Wasn't that convenience store originally a Ben Franklin nickle and dime? Did it have a soda fountain? Also does anyone remember when Shakey's closed?
When I lived near there in the early 70's, that end bay was a Shaver's grocery store. The Ben Franklin was where Mangelson's is, on 84th St. I remember going to Shakey's after playing Putt-Putt. It was a bar for a while before they built the Hy-Vee.
Thanks zippy. My father agrees with Shaver's but didn't remember Ben Franklins. He remembers the bar, his law firm would celebrate there in the 90's. Someone thought Shakees burnt down though.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Sorry to get off topic, but someone else brought it up.   :P  Could someone please point out exactly where (which corner or an address) the Shakey's used to be?  Thanks.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

garyomaha wrote:Sorry to get off topic, but someone else brought it up.   :P  Could someone please point out exactly where (which corner or an address) the Shakey's used to be?  Thanks.
It was on what is now the Hy-Vee property. There was a service station right on the corner, and Shakey's was the next building to the south if my memory serves me correctly. I believe it was a bar for many years before it was torn down.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

Bugeater wrote:
garyomaha wrote:Sorry to get off topic, but someone else brought it up.   :P  Could someone please point out exactly where (which corner or an address) the Shakey's used to be?  Thanks.
It was on what is now the Hy-Vee property. There was a service station right on the corner, and Shakey's was the next building to the south if my memory serves me correctly. I believe it was a bar for many years before it was torn down.
Thanks.  Though, sadly, I have few memories of that area before Hy-Vee.  I occasionally visited an office in a building along Center that was torn down for the Hy-Vee, but don't remember either the service station or bar.  (A group of us have been trying to come up with former Shakey's locations and only the Bellevue one had a firm place in our memories...interesting because none of us grew up in Bellevue!  Perhaps it was the last Shakey's in this area?)
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

There was a Dairy Queen between the gas station (DX or Skelly) and the Shakeys. We'd go to the DQ after baseball games.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

heard a rumor about another freakin' Walmart Neighborhood Market here... :evil:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wal-Mart or not Omaha is going to be over saturated with grocery stores by this time next year.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The consumers should benefit at least for a time as stores will have to be at the top of their game in terms of price and service.

Greg
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Looks like demolition is complete, they graded the lot flat the other day after all the debris were removed.
where the corn meets the concrete
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So what... is it going to sit undeveloped like the other side of the street for a few years?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thiele was out drilling for soil testing this morning on the NE corner of 90th and Center.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Fmr. Loveland Shopping Center Still Vacant

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local/180425601.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

...and this just in:  Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Every once in a while... I walk over into that NWC... close my eyes, imagine myself playing Galaga.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Every once in a while... I walk over into that NWC... close my eyes, imagine myself playing Galaga.

:like:
SaOmaha
Library Board

Post by SaOmaha »

Jerry Kavan of Slosburg Real Property gave a presentation on Loveland Center Development tonight at The Loveland Neighborhood Association 2nd Annual Holiday Reception.

I learned that ground would be broken sometime this spring on a L-shaped brick building with stone arches on the northeast corner of 90th and Center. It will take about 13 months to build. The building may have a business with a drive-thru and restaurant with an outside eating area on the south side.

If enough interest is shown, a building on the west side of 90th street may be built a year later.

Jerry Kavan gave the presentation.

Site Plans for the new Loveland Center.

Close view of the Site Plan

I do not have permission to post large photo of building elevations.