News on some developments

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

News on some developments

Post by Coyote »

I had a meeting today with a local developer and he shared a little news on some projects around the Omaha area. First off - he thinks that the Papillion Promenade is on shaky ground, after Walmart pulled out they are having trouble getting commitments from other businesses.

While grading goes on for the Embassy Suites in La Vista, Hammons is still negotiating with the FAA over the height og the building. Being on top of the hill and close to the Millard airport, the FAA would only allow a seven story structure, while Hammons wants to build ten. I was surprised to hear that they do not have definite plans on the site. They had initially talked about a movie theater and convention center, but as of now those are just ideas. Hammons also hopes to have office buildings there.

And finally - something that I found interesting - the Royals have been talking to people about land in West Omaha. This is only talk - how they want to get more people attending from there - but it also may be a ploy to get Omaha, maybe Creighton to talk about options.

So - these are just rumors not facts - take them for what they are.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

I have also heard about the height restrictions imposed by the FAA. I would have thought the developer(s) would have checked this out beforehand.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

This seems ridiculous as this section of land is nowhere near the flight path into Millard. If it was over in the east side with Paypal... I could see the concern.

As for Promenade... I'm confused... because RED got on board... AFTER the announcement of Walmart's plans to locate at 72nd and Giles. And Walmart was never looking at 370... their initial location was 72nd and Cornhusker. The Papillion Promenade site plan certainly doesn't suggest a Walmart sized tenant either. RED also boasts... they've never NOT seen a project to completion, on which they become involved. I guess there's always a first time.

I'm sure the Royals aren't just talking to 'people'... they're probably talking to the likes of the cities of La Vista, Papillion, Elkhorn, etc. They're going to be looking for public money. Interesting to contemplate the possibility of these bedroom communities becoming increasingly competitive players with Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now Jeff, the Embassy Suite site is not 'nowhere near' the flight pattern of Millard airport. I do not know FAA regulations on height and distances near runways - I would ask flyOMA but I refuse to post on the chamber site - but look at buoys on line wires on 144th and how wind speeds may push a plane off direction - and I can see proximity being a huge influence.

I was talking with the developer on Omaha (Papillion) expansion onto the 72nd and 370 intersection. Planting Papio/LV south at 370 & 120?th suggests that development is growing towards 370 and 50, not east. 84th Street will fall asunder. Albertsons is gone, U'Sac'um will buy Bakers, that whole corridor is 'doomed'. - I can't understand how this business corridor has never succeded.

Royals in West O? How could the Lancers move to CB? Incentives! Man, think of the economical advantages of any site. Sports bars, restauarnts...This would pay for any project...
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Those power lines along 144th are clear up on the hill and in the flight path.

The proposed Embassy Suites site is well outside of any reasonable approach... if someone were coming in at this angle they'd likely be in serious trouble anyway. I've never seen anyone coming out of there fly anywhere NEAR the intersection of I-80 and Giles... it's always been well east.

But obviously my whining here isn't going to change anything... I'm sure FAA has lots of extra room built into their space requirements.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Unfortunately, the economical advantages of any site do not pay for sports projects. What kind of jobs do sports facilities bring? Service-related employment. Sports bars, restaurants, etc. have low payrolls and do not provide a boost on area economics and often provide a drag. This is repeatedly played out in larger cities where sports teams have demanded new facilities against the threat of moving. Taxpayers have taken on 20, 30 years of debt and before it is retired, the team claims the facility is outdated. Many cities have gotten wise to the double standard and require more team/investor equity up front and many voters have killed such plans. That is also why there are more joint public/private partnerships for such facilities. It would be ridiculous for a small suburban community to take on such a venture for a struggling minor league organization. If a joint venture with the Royals, Creighton University and the City of Omaha can't come to fruition, the Royals should stay put.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

That would be a real disappointment if they couldn’t build the Embassy Suites as large as they wanted to. That would be a great addition for La Vista.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The Royals need to stop complaining. They play in one of the most famous stadiums in the country. It may be more for the CWS but they are lucky to play there. No one is going to build them a stadium.
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

That is pretty much reflective of the naive attitude of Omahans (including our leadership) in general.

Guess what DTO... there are ALOT of other cities out there which would be more than happy to build an -appropriate- venue for the Royals. And AAA ball clubs are in high demand. Heck, Wichita probably would like to upgrade themselves. The Royals already have among the lowest average attendances in the league (in the largest minor league ballpark in the nation... go figure).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Royals pull up stakes if they can find a better situation elsewhere (of course if it has to be anywhere... I'd like to see it in a smaller downtown ball park shared with the Bluejays).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

And I think the CWS needs a bigger stadium DT. The Royals seem to want to stay in Omaha or they wouldn't be wanting someone to build a stadium here. I would be for them having a smaller place ANYWHERE BUT DT. DT is to important to waste on a 5,000 seat stadium for a team no one seems to care about. It would take away from ground up development that could happen (skyscrapers, hotels, residential) because of parking and just the size of the stadium. If Omaha any new baseball stadium we need to have a 40,000+ one DT for the game everyone cares about the CWS. If the Royals move I can't say I would mind to much. But I don't see that since they are so addament on having an Omaha stadium.
DTO
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Post by jays25ks »

Why would we need a 40k+ stadium in dt. The blatt is almost too big anynmore most games aren't full. If you think about it all the new bleachers did was expand the cap. and didn't really do much in terms of selling more tickets. If you watched your average CWS game this summer you would have noticed one thing, THE PLACE WAS EMPTY!!! And one thing I keep finding funny about these dt stadium topics is that everyone always goes right to the "Rosemblatt is the greatest place ever" attitude and don't look at it from the Royals prespective. They need a stadium that is small and will offer more amenities to fans than the 55 year old rosemblatt. And like I always say, even if the royals move who says the CWS has to move with it?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few years ago the Memphis Redbirds built what is considered the best AAA ballpark the Autozone Park. Its capacity is 14,320 which is about perfect for Triple A attendance.

Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

I doubt that the royals are going anywhere, due to the fact that warren buffet is a part owner of the team. He bought his share to keep the royals here in omaha.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Coyote, you're absolutely right about Autozone Park. It's a fantastic, appropriately sized stadium that is integrated perfectly with it's suroundings. It puts a stadium like Rosenblatt, isolated amongst low density housing well removed from the central core, to shame. Autozone Park would be a perfect example for Omaha to follow.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Autozone Park is also accessible by Memphis's heritage trolley line, which will be augmented by a modern light rail extension to the Airport, now under construction.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

If you really love downtown, then you would want the Royals and Creighton to build a baseball stadium there. You're talking close to 100 dates a year that you would have people in the area. In addition to Memphis look at what Oklahoma City's Bricktown ballpark has done for the Bricktown area. It's awesome to be down there when a game is going on. Rosenblatt is great for the CWS (and definitely big enough) but it's a disaster for minor league baseball. Even when the O Royals draw 10,000 it's empty, no atmosphere. Similar to last year with the Lancers and their crowds of 3,500-4,000 (which are great for their league, but too small for the MAC).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum Greg!

And I think with only a couple of exceptions on the forum here... we're all thinking the same thing (in pairing up Creighton and the Royals downtown).
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

IMO the Autozone Park is too big for that downtown, proportionally speaking. It seems to dominate the aerial picture with its huge footprint. Much in the same way Haymarket Park in Lincoln would if it was located at 15th & O street. If a new DT Omaha stadium (let stick w/haymarket park for example's sake) were to be built on the North side of 480 I think it would be "overstimulating" that area. I drive down Cuming/Abbott on my way to work and shudder to think about traffic on a night w/a Qwest Center concert and baseball game at the same time. Moreso with the impending rebuilding of the 480/US75N interchange. If built on the south side of the OM it would lend to traffic from both north and south for OM businesses. If the Nines were rebuilt, that area could be really neat w/a ballfield. Just my $.02 of speculation.