Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

gisbuxfan
Library Board

Re: Westroads Development

Post by gisbuxfan »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Remember when Bishop's was a big deal?
That place was also located at the mall in Lincoln.  I still remember to this day how gross the food was, my grandparents loved it.
That was my favorite place to eat growing up! Best Mac and cheese and French silk pie!
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Remember when Bishop's was a big deal?
That place was also located at the mall in Lincoln.  I still remember to this day how gross the food was, my grandparents loved it.
That was my favorite place to eat growing up! Best Mac and cheese and French silk pie!
They did have good pies....until I discovered House of Pies on 90th and Center
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Yes, their French silk pie was so good!
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

We had a Bishop's in the mall in Sioux City. I always had their ham and developed a life long desire for their french silk pie. Obviously I wasn't alone in that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rumor Central: Flagship Restaurant Group has made a deal to stock the Food Court with Roja, Blue...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Rumor Central: Flagship Restaurant Group has made a deal to stock the Food Court with Roja, Blue...
That would be a home run
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Any updates on this? I thought they would build out more (take up more of the parking lot) but the outside of the mall looks finished.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Originally, the food court was to be open by now, but with the change in the restaurant management, it has been moved to Fall 2015. They are only going to have 7 vs the 12 or so now. I can access the new food court from the back door & hall way from the store I work in. Nothing has been done lately except for electrical & plumbing. It's a fairly large space, they took the old Radio Shack, Christopher Banks, CJ Banks & the Survey place. If you come into the mall at the upstairs North entrance by where Friday's was, you can actually peek in & see the "progress"
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

The only news I have heard on malls in this area has been bad news. Stalls, reduction in development, etc.. I am certain I will see the "death" of malls in my lifetime. I don't see how they can keep up with online sales.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

As long as there are teenage girls, there will be malls.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Teenage girls and like their disposable incomes.
15-17, 26, 32
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think each city will eventually go to 1 go to mall. In Omaha it will be Westroads. I can't fathom one ever being built again in my lifetime.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:I think each city will eventually go to 1 go to mall. In Omaha it will be Westroads. I can't fathom one ever being built again in my lifetime.

Greg
Not that I am an expert in, well, anything, but as the owh said Omaha is rapidly approaching 1 million people. Do you think that even at somewhat less than one million one mall is sufficient? Many things go in cycles. Today it's outdoor malls. Frankly I'm not a fan of a Village Point mall in the middle of winter. Perhaps in the future indoor malls will come back into vogue?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Greg S wrote:I think each city will eventually go to 1 go to mall. In Omaha it will be Westroads. I can't fathom one ever being built again in my lifetime.

Greg
Not that I am an expert in, well, anything, but as the owh said Omaha is rapidly approaching 1 million people. Do you think that even at somewhat less than one million one mall is sufficient? Many things go in cycles. Today it's outdoor malls. Frankly I'm not a fan of a Village Point mall in the middle of winter. Perhaps in the future indoor malls will come back into vogue?
I really don't. Westroads is so well situated.

For lifestyle centers, weather was supposed to be the true test. Unless it's really bad out, Village Pointe seems to do fine. And anymore, when it's really bad out, even the indoor malls seems to close their doors for the night (I don't remember this happening when I was a kid).

Look at KC. They might be down to one true mall, Oak Park. Will be interesting over the next 10 years to see how Independence Center does.

I don't see what would ever bring malls back? The combination of life style centers and on-line shopping has hurt them. Their main anchors such as Sears and JCPenneys are dying, or moving to lifestyle centers, like Macys and Von Maur are. We just went to another new lifestyle center in KC, Corbin Park. It's fantastic. It's been in process for years and they are now adding a 223,000 sq ft Scheels. Right down the street from it is the new Prairie Fire development.

Greg
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

http://www.omaha.com/money/westroads-om ... 4b917.html

Some unique restaurant choices along with patio dining for Westroads. Looks promising.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I knew it was going to be Flagship but I had no idea it would be like this!:
Yum Roll by Blue Sushi Sake Grill
Yoshi-Ya Ramen
Blatt Beer & Table
Clever Greens
Weirdough
Juan Taco
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the layout:
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Surprised (or not) that OWH didn't mention the Flagship Commons name.

Don't forget
  • Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob (which I didn't know was part of Flagship, but is on their website)
  • Aromas Coffeehouse (which hopefully will include some Bliss bakery items
And, like any good venture, a new website, Twitter, and Instagram.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this takes off, as well as which of the current food court tenants relocate within the mall.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

schumatt wrote:Surprised (or not) that OWH didn't mention the Flagship Commons name.

Don't forget
  • Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob (which I didn't know was part of Flagship, but is on their website)
  • Aromas Coffeehouse (which hopefully will include some Bliss bakery items
And, like any good venture, a new website, Twitter, and Instagram.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this takes off, as well as which of the current food court tenants relocate within the mall.

They did mention it, here is the quote from the article:
The new food hall, called Flagship Commons, will incorporate some new locations for existing local eateries, including Amsterdam Falafel & Kabob; Blatt Beer & Table, which will offer both full-service and quick dining; and Aromas Coffeehouse, which also will sell desserts.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Best food court ever??
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

iamjacobm wrote:Best food court ever??
Worst food court ever would be more like it. That food court is going to be worthless. What are those idiots thinking? I like hitting the Raising Canes in the current food court and a whole lot of us are not going to be happy they are going. I think this little experiment is going to fall flat on its |expletive|.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

What didja expect? A return to Bishop's Buffet?

I like the new concept...might be a reason to go to stroads.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Best food court ever??
Worst food court ever would be more like it. That food court is going to be worthless. What are those idiots thinking? I like hitting the Raising Canes in the current food court and a whole lot of us are not going to be happy they are going. I think this little experiment is going to fall flat on its |expletive|.
Because TGIFridays was any better?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:What didja expect? A return to Bishop's Buffet?

I like the new concept...might be a reason to go to stroads.
I was never a fan of Bishops at all. I was dragged there by family and friends a few hundred times though. I remember when they had a buffet at the McCrorys department store in Westroads. It was all you can eat for like 3.35 so we ate there once in awhile even though it was nasty. Bishops buffet sold their food by the dish. Even in the 70s they would stick you 60 cents for a tiny bowl of canned corn. Bishops was a total ripoff and sucked but there would be lines a block long to get in there.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I will be upfront and say I haven't eaten in the westroads food court in a long time and although some of the 6 restaurants there are mentioning sound interesting - I think they are missing some of the 'fast food' that a shopper wants to get to refuel before continuing shopping.

I have been to the International Plaza Mall in Tampa which is a somewhat high end shopping center and even though they have some good restaurants surrounding the outside food court they also have some of the typical 'order and go' food stands.

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/m ... ectory/map

Also is 6 places enough?
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Uffda wrote:I will be upfront and say I haven't eaten in the westroads food court in a long time and although some of the 6 restaurants there are mentioning sound interesting - I think they are missing some of the 'fast food' that a shopper wants to get to refuel before continuing shopping.

I have been to the International Plaza Mall in Tampa which is a somewhat high end shopping center and even though they have some good restaurants surrounding the outside food court they also have some of the typical 'order and go' food stands.

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/m ... ectory/map

Also is 6 places enough?
A mall needs an Orange Julius! I want my Strawberry Julius with banana. Aside from that, it would be nice to have a Raising Canes and one burger option. I do like the idea of what they're doing, I just wish they would keep some of the old standbys.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The article did state that some of the current tenants would be relocated throughout the mall. Sounds like they may be scattered but I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Raising Canes.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

skinzfan23 wrote:The article did state that some of the current tenants would be relocated throughout the mall. Sounds like they may be scattered but I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Raising Canes.
Yeah they should definitely keep them and some other of the mall staples, remember that a majority of a mall's business is kids and young adults that may not want upscale fast food.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

In a former life (2002 - 2010) I worked at Von Maur and the DQ/Orange Julius was a regular stop on breaks. On days when I didn't bring my own lunch I would eat at the Runza (which is no longer there.) Mall employees provide a lot of business to the eateries and as much as many of them will like the new dining options, they're always going to like the "traditional" mall fare. I'm glad to see that some of the old stuff is relocating within the mall.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Dear Flagship Commons,

Forget the Raman and Sushi (Yum Roll) bays and relocate Raising Cane's from their current double-bay location.

You will thank me later...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tony Gentile, Flagship Group's corporate executive chef, was on this morning's Grow Omaha, and from I understand he presented the "Food Hall" idea to his chef's giving them free reign to invent a "Fast Casual" alternative. They each will also have beer and wine options at their venues...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

There is a Rainforest Cafe at the Grapevine Mall in Dallas. Talk about a flagship.. Oh well, in my "perfect world" scenario, a Rainforest Cafe would be the flagship eatery for this new inclosed food area at Westroads..And make a complete "killing"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I still miss Popeyes at the Westroads food court.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:There is a Rainforest Cafe at the Grapevine Mall in Dallas. Talk about a flagship.. Oh well, in my "perfect world" scenario, a Rainforest Cafe would be the flagship eatery for this new inclosed food area at Westroads..And make a complete "killing"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Paul Blart's mall had a Rainforest Café as well.....
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:There is a Rainforest Cafe at the Grapevine Mall in Dallas. Talk about a flagship.. Oh well, in my "perfect world" scenario, a Rainforest Cafe would be the flagship eatery for this new inclosed food area at Westroads..And make a complete "killing"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I still think there should be a Rainforest Cafe by the zoo and a Great Wolf Lodge.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

skinzfan23 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I still think there should be a Rainforest Cafe by the zoo and a Great Wolf Lodge.
Imagine if they rebuilt that restaurant/cafe thing above the Rainforest into their own form of Rainforest Cafe.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

So much for a quick pocketbook friendly meal. Now it seems all upscale. What happens to the newer places like Taco Bell and Canes that likely had long lease agreements?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Coyote wrote:Tony Gentile, Flagship Group's corporate executive chef, was on this morning's Grow Omaha, and from I understand he presented the "Food Hall" idea to his chef's giving them free reign to invent a "Fast Casual" alternative. They each will also have beer and wine options at their venues...
Indigenous restaurateurs giving their chefs carte blanche to create new and interesting food is always a win in my book. This makes Omaha's food scene more unique and interesting. I can't wait to see what they come up with.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think this would be fantastic skinz!..

And Greg S, I also think a Westroads Mall location for Rainforest Cafe would be nice fit for what's been going on there this past decade.. Upscale "chain" eateries like PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Joe's Crabshack, and Granite City all sort of create a boat of freestanding locations around the entire west-end of the mall..

A Rainforest Cafe is a natural fit to me.. And like I stated before, would make an absolute killing..

..Ciao...LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, Cowboy... I suspect there are more than myself that have not been to a Rainforest... What do they offer that would compliment the other stand alones at Westroads, and what kind of cuisine and what sort of atmosphere would one expect?