Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Westroads Development

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Ok, Cowboy... I suspect there are more than myself that have not been to a Rainforest... What do they offer that would compliment the other stand alones at Westroads, and what kind of cuisine and what sort of atmosphere would one expect?
Think "rainforest" themed decor inside a place to enjoy a decent meal. Huge menu of appetizers, entr'ees etc..unique "themed" items like "Lava Nachos" (which are great by the way).. The price point is comparable to the existing free standers surrounding the west-end. The place is also very kid/family friendly too.. Decent place for the family night out, a meal with friends or even a date. It's a pretty versatile place. I've eaten at the Grapevine Mall location in Dallas a few times. I like the place. I'm not in love with it.. But from a "fit" standpoint, it'd be a natural at Westroads..and a major "get" for Omaha...

..Ciao...LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

What's the fascination with mediocre chain restaurants?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:What's the fascination with mediocre chain restaurants?
While I don't think mediocre (it's a good, not a great place..but not mediocre imo) or fascination are apt descriptions as it relates to how I'd look at the potential of a RF Cafe at Westroads.. But new to market, popular with exclusivity..These reasons would make an eatery like this a good get..the place would be a money maker...

All said though, if it's good and local compared to a chain, that is usually my personal preference most of the time when I choose to spend my $ eating out. There are a few exceptions though...

Ciao...LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:What's the fascination with mediocre chain restaurants?
While I don't think mediocre (it's a good, not a great place..but not mediocre imo) or fascination are apt descriptions as it relates to how I'd look at the potential of a RF Cafe at Westroads.. But new to market, popular with exclusivity..These reasons would make an eatery like this a good get..the place would be a money maker...

All said though, if it's good and local compared to a chain, that is usually my personal preference most of the time when I choose to spend my $ eating out. There are a few exceptions though...

Ciao...LiO...Peace
I've been there, its definitely mediocre and has an appetizer called "Lava Nachos", short of a Chuck E Cheese mechanical band I don't think it could get much worse.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have been to three locations over the years. Seattle, Las Vegas, and Minneapolis. To say they are Chunky Cheese esk you loose your credibility with me. Are they top shelf, no way but they are a theme place that serves decent, not great food. They fill a niche just like many local and chain places do.

If you have never been there take a look at their web site for an idea of decor and their menu

http://www.rainforestcafe.com/

I din't get all the hate for the chains. I support local many times but to say their are no chains that can compete is wrong too. We go to a chain place on occasion too. I have had bad experiences with food and service at both and have had good experiences too.

As for a Rain-forest Cafe, probably a long shot for Omaha but the best location would be near the zoo IMO. Get the Interstate traffic and the tourist traffic that the zoo already pulls in.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:I have been to three locations over the years. Seattle, Las Vegas, and Minneapolis. To say they are Chunky Cheese esk you loose your credibility with me. Are they top shelf, no way but they are a theme place that serves decent, not great food. They fill a niche just like many local and chain places do.

If you have never been there take a look at their web site for an idea of decor and their menu

http://www.rainforestcafe.com/

I din't get all the hate for the chains. I support local many times but to say their are no chains that can compete is wrong too. We go to a chain place on occasion too. I have had bad experiences with food and service at both and have had good experiences too.

As for a Rain-forest Cafe, probably a long shot for Omaha but the best location would be near the zoo IMO. Get the Interstate traffic and the tourist traffic that the zoo already pulls in.
I completely agree with you nebugeater.. To each their own I guess, lol...

Ciao...LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

...talk about foodies...
15-17, 26, 32
CharleyBarley
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CharleyBarley »

This thread is pretty long so I am not sure if this has been posted yet but, we were told by a food court employee today during lunch at the mall that Dairy Queen, Subway, and Canes are all staying on as mall tenants once the new food court opens. I am excited about the new food court options but I think these three are good staples to keep too. A little surprised that Taco Bell is going away since they were fairly new tenants.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CharleyBarley wrote:This thread is pretty long so I am not sure if this has been posted yet but, we were told by a food court employee today during lunch at the mall that Dairy Queen, Subway, and Canes are all staying on as mall tenants once the new food court opens. I am excited about the new food court options but I think these three are good staples to keep too. A little surprised that Taco Bell is going away since they were fairly new tenants.
I am guessing though, that DQ, Subway and Canes will be relocated elsewhere in the Mall?...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

The mall said that some of the food court tenants will be relocated to other places scattered through out. In the Raising Canes thread the other day, someone posted that they will be moving to the area by Dick's. There is a lot of open space there, I just wonder if that means that Scooters will be gone(they have 2 locations) or if they'll build next to the play area. Mall management is tight lipped until leases are signed.
Original
Home Owners Association

Post by Original »

I'm not a retail executive, but scattering those three out makes more sense then bunching them in a specific spot. I'd think the last thing that a mall the size of Westroads would want to do is have two food courts. Plus, the only location that makes real sense for a second food court is by the Panera, and I doubt that Von Maur would want to be adjacent to the 'lower class' food court.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

New Westroads Mall food court set for November opening
Flagship Commons, Westroads Mall’s new food hall, is on track to be completed in a few months.
Framing is complete and about 70 percent of the reclaimed wood that will line the walls of the 21,000-square-foot space has been installed, said Flagship Restaurant Group president and architect Tom Allisma. The goal is to have the space, situated between Younkers and the AMC Theater, open for business by November, Allisma said.

The hall will feature a full-service bar; new locations for Aromas Coffeehouse, Blatt Beer & Table, and Amsterdam Falafel and Kabob; plus five new concepts, including Yum Roll by Blue Sushi Sake Grill, Yoshi-Ya ramen, Weirdough Pizza Co., Juan Taco and custom salad station Clever Greens.

The existing food court will remain open through the end of the year, said Jim Sadler, senior general manager at Westroads. It will be transformed into a new retail space with West Dodge Road frontage and a separate entrance.
A few of the existing food court tenants will relocate throughout the mall, but Sadler would not disclose which tenants because leases are not signed yet.

CharleyBarley
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CharleyBarley »

I'm sure they will be scattered throughout different areas. There already are randomly situated food shops in that mall like Auntie Annes, Scooters, and the Cookie Company. The person we spoke to yesterday said they were working out the new leases because the mall is wanting them to pay quite a lot to move to the new spots. The space by Dicks is pretty big and upstairs by Von Maur the coin guy moved out and the shops up there don't seem to be high dollar stores. I could see those places getting kicked out to add the old food court restaurants. Does anyone know what will go in where the old food court currently is?
Last edited by CharleyBarley on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It will be another anchor retail space. No announcement yet.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:It will be another anchor retail space. No announcement yet.
The Nordstrom Rack that keeps getting mentioned everywhere?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Weeks ago Grow Omaha talked about 'knowing' who was going in here, but nothing has been mentioned yet...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are doing another live remote there soon and making the announcement.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Raisin Cane is relocating and doing an $80k renovation job in Space 3148.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

debradomayer wrote:If you come into the mall at the upstairs North entrance by where Friday's was, you can actually peek in & see the "progress"
Thanks, I had a look. I don't think they will be open any time soon. I saw framing up, but basically nothing else.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
debradomayer wrote:If you come into the mall at the upstairs North entrance by where Friday's was, you can actually peek in & see the "progress"
Thanks, I had a look. I don't think they will be open any time soon. I saw framing up, but basically nothing else.
When are they "supposed" to open?
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but we sneaked up in there today from the store I work at. All of the framing is done & most of the electrical, they have yet to install plumbing, which may hold up the opening. They are going thru the ceiling in our store & Vanity but they ran into a literal brick wall & had to redesign. So looks like opening may be delayed. I'm hearing the original opening was 11/1 but now it's looking closer to Thanksgiving. We shall see
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Yeah, it is supposed to be November.

I know drywall just takes a couple days, but they still need to do flooring, counter tops, kitchen equipment, pass inspection, remove construction walls.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I ate at raising Canes today and the employee told me that the employees were just notified this morning that they will be moving up by Dicks Sporting Goods.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I ate at raising Canes today and the employee told me that the employees were just notified this morning that they will be moving up by Dicks Sporting Goods.
Did you get in a good nap afterwards?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Linkin5 wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I ate at raising Canes today and the employee told me that the employees were just notified this morning that they will be moving up by Dicks Sporting Goods.
I am getting to be an old fart for sure but I do not nap yet......although I do have an appointment for a nice long dirt nap in about 20 years out at Forest Lawn.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:

:lol:
No posts exist for this topic
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

There is now a sign notifying the public that Flagship Commons has applied for a liquor license. I see nothing but trouble with that. But then, what do I know? HaHa
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

debradomayer wrote:There is now a sign notifying the public that Flagship Commons has applied for a liquor license. I see nothing but trouble with that. But then, what do I know? HaHa
Can't be any worse than TGI Friday's selling alcohol when it was at Westroads.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

jessep28 wrote:
debradomayer wrote:There is now a sign notifying the public that Flagship Commons has applied for a liquor license. I see nothing but trouble with that. But then, what do I know? HaHa
Can't be any worse than TGI Friday's selling alcohol when it was at Westroads.
Bars in malls used to be more common. I remember one in Crossroads down near Sears when I was a kid.

There was also one in the basement of Westroads behind the old deli. I think it was the first place in Omaha to do karaoke back in the day.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Takes the edge off the Christmas shopping...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
That is called Amazon.com
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:
Lol, may be that's why there isn't bars in malls anymore.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:
Lol, may be that's why there isn't bars in malls anymore.
Yep,, The liquid refreshments are a lot cheaper at home by my computer too. Will save my $$$$ for going to have a social drink for someplace as far removed from the mall as I can!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I walked inside the food court. They have a lot of the utilities up, and have started doing some tile on the floor. The walls are still just studs. No kitchen equipment. I didn't see fire suppression, but I forgot to look.

I suppose it might be done before the end of the year. Depends on the equipment installation and passing inspections. Bring on the ramen!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just talked with a Flagship rep. The Commons was pushed back from opening before Thanksgiving until before Christmas.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wow, that's rough.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:I just talked with a Flagship rep. The Commons was pushed back from opening before Thanksgiving until before Christmas.
Did they give the reasoning?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:I just talked with a Flagship rep. The Commons was pushed back from opening before Thanksgiving until before Christmas.
Running into too many delays. I didn't push him for details...
He didn't sound too convincing on Christmas though.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Running into too many delays. I didn't push him for details...
He didn't sound too convincing on Christmas though.
Ouch that is missing a ton of business.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nothing we didn't already know:

Westroads Mall pushes back opening for new Flagship Commons food court
It’s now expected to open sometime in December, before the holidays, said Westroads Senior General Manager Jim Sadler.
Construction on the space, between Younkers and the AMC theater complex, is full speed ahead, he said. Sadler said the setback is tied to equipment for the commercial kitchens taking longer than expected to arrive.
Meanwhile, the existing food court’s new use is yet to be determined. It will close at the end of December.

At least one new-to-market retailer is expected to move in to the space, Sadler said. General Growth Properties, which owns Westroads and Oak View Mall, is pursuing two different concepts: one that would use the whole space for a large new-to-market retailer and another that would split the space between two new-to-market retailers.
Sadler has said in the past that the space is desirable because of its outside entrance and visibility from West Dodge Road.
“Either way, it’s going to be pretty exciting,” Sadler said.
Demolition of the existing food court is expected to begin in January, and the goal is to get at least one new tenant open by fall of next year.

As part of the reshuffling, a few of the mall’s existing food court tenants will relocate throughout the mall and open in January, Sadler said. Raising Cane’s and Subway will relocate near Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Dairy Queen will move to a space near DSW.