Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: Westroads Development

Post by bigredmed1 »

Stargazer wrote:Okay, is A&F struggling nationwide? Otherwise, is it not a bit disconcerting that a major tenant like that is pulling out of the area's highest traffic retail center?
Not sure they are doing very well anywhere.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Okay, is A&F struggling nationwide? Otherwise, is it not a bit disconcerting that a major tenant like that is pulling out of the area's highest traffic retail center?
Then went through a major down period, now they seem to have found their place. Not sure how long it'll last though.
No posts exist for this topic
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MadMartin8 wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Then went through a major down period, now they seem to have found their place. Not sure how long it'll last though.
Not a lot of the standard mall stores are doing well these days.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought I posted this already, but taking part of the A&F bay will be a Dry Goods Boutique out of Davenport, Iowa. This will be a $750k remodel.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Owned by Von Maur
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Busguy2010 wrote:I definitely still miss Sbarro. It's been two years now, been to one in Minneapolis and Denver and they weren't as good as the one we had here. Probably had to do with Omaha being a small city and easier to manage.
I don't know how many years its been, but Bishop's is the place I miss. My mouth waters just thinking about it.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:I thought I posted this already, but taking part of the A&F bay will be a Dry Goods Boutique out of Davenport, Iowa. This will be a $750k remodel.
With a name like Dry Goods I was half expecting a high class exotic grocer specializing in spices or something...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:I definitely still miss Sbarro. It's been two years now, been to one in Minneapolis and Denver and they weren't as good as the one we had here. Probably had to do with Omaha being a small city and easier to manage.
I don't know how many years its been, but Bishop's is the place I miss. My mouth waters just thinking about it.

I miss Gizmo's.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Greg S wrote:I miss Gizmo's.
Greg
I won the Silver Medal in the Gizmos 1980 Winter arcade Olympics :o I trained hard for those Olympics er I mean I went to Gizmos way way too much!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I miss the Westroads Gizmo’s AND the Gizmo’s in the Old Market.. I became a true Karate Champ master at the Old Market location...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I miss the Westroads Gizmo’s AND the Gizmo’s in the Old Market.. I became a true Karate Champ master at the Old Market location...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I forgot about the Gizmo's downtown. Oh, man, we'd have quarters/tokens lined across the bottom of the monitor on the arcade games. Karate Champ and Punch Out! were definitely two favorites.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:I miss the Westroads Gizmo’s AND the Gizmo’s in the Old Market.. I became a true Karate Champ master at the Old Market location...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I forgot about the Gizmo's downtown. Oh, man, we'd have quarters/tokens lined across the bottom of the monitor on the arcade games. Karate Champ and Punch Out! were definitely two favorites.
Those were the days. We had a blast.. Kids today don't know the fun they're missing :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

It IS a shame kids these days won't know the joy of pumping quarters or tokens into old school video games in a dark, dingey smoke-filled arcade :-(
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

jag42 wrote:It IS a shame kids these days won't know the joy of pumping quarters or tokens into old school video games in a dark, dingey smoke-filled arcade :-(
Gizmos at the Westroads was one of the nicest arcades you ever saw. It was bright and clean with 50 pin ball machines in tip top condition. The 50 or 60 arcade machines were all new and in perfect condition as well. SMOKING was not allowed. There was a Little Kings restaurant inside and a full sized bumper cars. One of Gizmos hallmarks was that if your game broke down in the middle of play or ate your token they would have an attendant come fix your machine right away. After the attendant fixed the game real quick he usually clicked on an extra game for your trouble. Gizmos pinball machines were all rigged with a bell and police light on top of the machine that went off when you won a game so everyone in the place could hear it. There never was or has been since any arcade like GIzmos!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

That is very true about the Gizmo’s at Westroads..

And from what I remember, smoking was not allowed at the Old Market Gizmo’s either. It’s location, back in the 80’s, was in the building right next to the current Spaghetti Works location..and other than it being gritty- due to it being a location in the HEART of the Old Market- it was hardly a “dingy smoke-filled arcade”...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

A friend worked at gizmos in the mid 70s. We spent a lot of time there. He bought a few pinball machines & put himself through the university of Texas putting them in fraternity houses down there.

In the early 80s I owned a bar & had one of the first sit down Pac man games. And yes I had to call the guy I got it from because it wouldn't take any more quarters. It filled up in just a few hours of being installed. We thought it was broken. Those were the days.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Younkers to close, more optimistic that Westroads will find a big name anchor than Oakview.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'd like to see Dillard's occupy that spot, rather than vacate the market entirely. Let's face it... the way retail is going, there will be no new department store coming to Omaha (unless there's some kind of new TJ Maxx/Burlington superstore in the works). One of the most popular topics of discussion on this forum in the past, was the yearning for a Macy's. It's not going to happen.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's a long shot but it would be awesome if they could get Macy's into that space. I know they still opened some new stores in 2017, while closing a bunch of others. Not sure if they are opening any new ones in 2018 but Westroads would be an ideal way to enter market and they would not have to build.

Greg
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Sears and JCP are floundering as it is. Oakview needs a new operating model quickly.

Last time I was there the food court only had 1 vacancy. Not sure about overall vacancies. I don't think the mall is in the position as Crossroads was before its demise... yet.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 am
RockHarbor wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 pm I'm sorry: A swanky, upscale, prestigious, legendary department store affiliated with New York's elite & upper class is not gonna be looked at the same opening a store in SD and WY. It just isn't.
I'm not sure where the swanky comes in. Macy's not a Neiman Marcus or even Nordstrom. Macy's has always catered their stores to not just upper lines but middle as well. Back in the 50's and 60's when my family was still in KC that's where my mom shopped and we definitely were middle class (I wasn't born yet). Macy's eventually folded in KC but returned later when Federated renamend the former Jones Stores to Macy's.

Greg
Thank you..

Moving forward, let’s get back to focusing on Westroads specific development :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And now, back to our regular scheduled program.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Since the request to get back to reg scheduled programming was not followed I have moved the Macy's discussion to it's own thread. Please continue that discussion over there and keep this to the Westroads

http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19070
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Getting the Westroads discussion back on track..

It'll be very interesting to see how quickly General Growth, who manages both Westroads and Oakview, fills in the empty big box bays once Younkers finally departs. I'd easily bet Westroads is priority. I'd willing to predict within 60-90 days, GGP will have secured an updated tenant. I wouldn't be surprised however, if that empty Younkers space sits vacant at Oakview for 6 months or longer..

Your thoughts on this :?: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 pm Getting the Westroads discussion back on track..

It'll be very interesting to see how quickly General Growth, who manages both Westroads and Oakview, fills in the empty big box bays once Younkers finally departs. I'd easily bet Westroads is priority. I'd willing to predict within 60-90 days, GGP will have secured an updated tenant. I wouldn't be surprised however, if that empty Younkers space sits vacant at Oakview for 6 months or longer..

Your thoughts on this :?: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

From an article in the Sunday paper

http://www.omaha.com/money/younkers-lea ... 0d24a.html

Complicating matters: Westroads doesn’t even own the Younkers space. Instead, the land and building are owned by Realty Trust Group of Lincoln. The firm has owned the property since at least the early 1980s, said Robert Weigel, the firm’s president.

Weigel said in an interview that his company saw the writing on the wall with Younkers and has a plan in place to repurpose the Westroads space with new retail tenants. He said he was unable to discuss what specific retailer might take the space, citing confidentiality agreements with potential tenants.
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

An article in the World Herald said General Growth did not own the Westroads property. It said the owners were taking care of it.It sounded like it would be split up,
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Spirit of Halloween on the lower level, and Halloween Express on the upper level.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Splitting Yonkers up would be interesting. Do they mean they would extend the hallway of little stores? Part of me is tired of the "footprint" of Westroads -- the 'H' some of us have been shopping our entire lives. Extending it longer would be a cool move in my view...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

RockHarbor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 pm Splitting Yonkers up would be interesting. Do they mean they would extend the hallway of little stores? Part of me is tired of the "footprint" of Westroads -- the 'H' some of us have been shopping our entire lives. Extending it longer would be a cool move in my view...
The only people that the H design helps are the mall walkers. Keeps them from getting lost
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The guys that own that land seem really odd. They've tried to really screw that place up in my opinion. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

They tried to prevent Von Maur coming in, Cheesecake Factory etc. Those have been positives for the mall including their land. Will be interesting to see if we see their "contingency" plan announced with detail and if it actually comes to fruition.

Greg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Greg S wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 am The guys that own that land seem really odd. They've tried to really screw that place up in my opinion. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

They tried to prevent Von Maur coming in, Cheesecake Factory etc. Those have been positives for the mall including their land. Will be interesting to see if we see their "contingency" plan announced with detail and if it actually comes to fruition.

Greg
Who are they?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Louie wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am
Greg S wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 am The guys that own that land seem really odd. They've tried to really screw that place up in my opinion. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.

Greg
Who are they?
Realty Trust Group of Lincoln..

And I agree with Greg. They’ve attempted to hinder (block) development at Westroads for a number of years now.. I can’t image they have anything more than a tepid relationship with General Growth...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
WBR_Tom
Home Owners Association

Post by WBR_Tom »

Greg
Yeah, no kidding. Far be it for me to tell a real estate investor how to spend their money...but some of their battles have seemed completely insane from the outside. The Cheesecake Factory battle in particular made very little sense at the time and makes even less sense in hindsight. I guess it took away some parking spots really far away from the doors -- that has to be the reason. Everything in Omaha always comes back to parking spots :lol:

I guess time will tell if their mysterious contingency plans for the Younkers space are A) anything to be excited about or B) actually executable. I'm not holding my breath on either count.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Louie wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:16 am

Greg
Who are they?
lol. I thought the same thing after reading Greg's entry.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

debradomayer wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 pm
RockHarbor wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 pm Splitting Yonkers up would be interesting. Do they mean they would extend the hallway of little stores? Part of me is tired of the "footprint" of Westroads -- the 'H' some of us have been shopping our entire lives. Extending it longer would be a cool move in my view...
The only people that the H design helps are the mall walkers. Keeps them from getting lost
Let's hope mall walkers are smarter than that. Lol Now, that you've brought up walking & circling the mall for exercise, I'm thinking about the fact it is more a Digital 8, rather than an 'H.' Yet, Von Maur has that little branching off hallway, and the food court used to.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Best Buy Mobile near the Container Store has closed. Only one still open is at Oak View
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A Vans 536 or something like that is going into the Westroads, but I can't find much info on this... Deborah?
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 pm A Vans 536 or something like that is going into the Westroads, but I can't find much info on this... Deborah?
Maybe in the other half of the Abercrombies or where Famous Footwear on the Von Maur wing is. FF is moving elsewhere.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$180k remodel for retail. Never heard of Vans 536