Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: Westroads Development

Post by Coyote »

Not saying that, just that the Food Court area is getting remodeled...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Heard today from an excellent source that the food court rumor is indeed true. We'll see, but there has been some demo going on inside of the old Friday's.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

What does that move do for the current tenants as far as rental agreements? That burger place that went into the BK spot never has people at the counter when I have been through there. There are not many of the original restaurants from the ones that were there when the food court was opened in its current location. Sbarros, DQ, and Imperial Palace if I am not mistaken.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hennes and Mauritz (H&M) is set to renovate somewhere (18,000 sq. ft.) in the Westroads soon. They are to open this fall.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

H&M has started demo on & construction. They're taking the space from where the Hallmark store was all the way down to the corridor to Von Maur. It's all drywalled off. Spencer's recently moved into a remodeled Afternoon space. GNC is under construction in their new spot where the skateboard shop & Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory was. Their old space as well as 1200 Images will be the new basketball shoe store which btw is owned by Champs
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Microsoft Store
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So were there specials?

Interestingly it looks like the employee's lanyard is similar to what they wear out at the apple store.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Yes, there were sales. The offered discounts on the surface tablets during launch day.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Trenton Magid on a Grow Omaha this morning hinted that Borsheims may be relocating to the former food court.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Trenton Magid on a Grow Omaha this morning hinted that Borsheims may be relocating to the former food court.
And just like that, Borsheims called in to Grow Omaha and said Trenton was full of it, they have a lease at Regency a Court for a few more years...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Til 2016. That's only 2 years. By the time they demo & build, the lease will be up. Trenton also said something about an announcement late next week. Very interesting. Still can't see them moving to Westroads. But then again nothing would surprise me.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Til 2016. That's only 2 years. By the time they demo & build, the lease will be up. Trenton also said something about an announcement late next week. Very interesting. Still can't see them moving to Westroads. But then again nothing would surprise me.
I forgot about that. Jeff was leading him on, but he did say there would an announcement soon. He also just hinted that the Food a Court moved to the old Ruby Tuesdays was more than a rumor...
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Coyote wrote:He also just hinted that the Food a Court moved to the old Ruby Tuesdays was more than a rumor...
You mean the old TGI Friday space?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

schumatt wrote:
Coyote wrote:He also just hinted that the Food a Court moved to the old Ruby Tuesdays was more than a rumor...
You mean the old TGI Friday space?
Oops, yeah, same thing, neither restaurant I would never visit.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Spoke with someone at Christopher Banks, which is closing. She said that the food court is taking their space, CJ Banks, the survey office & Radio Shack. The only store relocating in the mall will be Radio Shack. Ashamed about the Banks' stores, the leaves not one store for those of us who don't wear teen/young adult clothing or wear athletic shoes. If I didn't work in the mall, I would have no reason to come here after the remodel.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for that info Debra!
The only map of the Westroads I could find online was this, is there a more detailed one?

debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

They used to put out a pamphlet that had the detailed map & store listing, but they quit that a few years ago. And with the remodel, there are no store directories by the escalators either. Closed the store one night a few weeks ago & there's a couple guys with sledgehammers knocking one of them down! Now it's open space where a new "waffle" kiosk is going to be built, at the base of the escalators by Younkers. They had torn up the floor thru the concrete & installed plumbing. Quite a mess for a few days
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Westroads Getting New Food Court

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/West ... 65381.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wowt wrote:Omaha's Westroads Mall is getting a new food court on the north side of the mall. The current food court will be changed to retail space.

The new food court will be located near Westroads AMC 14, and include seating for roughly 420 guests.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad to hear that the new food court is opening in early 2015. At least it isn't going to take too long.

I wish the food court looked something similar to this one from the Fox River Mall in Appleton, WI.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I wonder if they will split the space up into bays or if they'll keep it all as one retail floor.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sorry I can't remember if someone already posted, but is there any idea of what retailer is going to take up the space currently occupied by the food court?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I don't think anyone knows for sure. Up above it sounds like people were floating around Borsheims but I don't think that'll happen.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

lmdramos wrote:I don't think anyone knows for sure. Up above it sounds like people were floating around Borsheims but I don't think that'll happen.
Yeah not sure that is going to happen, but it would be much better visibility than where they are now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed the World Herald article also stated that the new food court would include a fireplace next to a lounge area and a large entertainment video screen.

The article also mentioned the space would be 20,000 sq ft. Not sure how that compares to the size of the current food court.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Westroads Posted a few Renderings on their FB Page. Here is one of them.
Westroads on Facebook wrote:Image
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

If you look at the renderings you can see DQ and Panda Express so I'm guessing those two will be in the new food court. I also bet Raising Canes, Subway, and Taco Bell make the move.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't think the Borsheim's rumor had much behind it, but, Helzberg is doing some renovating.
There is a Helzberg here, Oakview, and now Nebraska Crossings. How long ago did their Crossroads place shut down?
I wonder if they are up to something?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just a few new things from the updated World Herald article:
The existing food court will be used for additional retail space. No tenants have committed yet, but the space could be used for one large store or several stores with streetscape exteriors and separate entrances.

Some of the existing tenants in the food court will make the move, and some new eateries will be added. “There’s going to be a couple of new tenants that will be brand new to the food court and to Westroads,” Sadler said.

The existing food court will remain open throughout construction, and the move should be “seamless,” with all tenants closing in the existing location one day and reopening in the new space the next day, he said
The article states that the renovation will be completed by March 2015.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I wonder what adding on stores with separate entrances would do long term to the mall. I think you have to be careful about trying to be all things. The only way the larger mall works is getting people actually inside. Yes, the large anchors have entrances but the more one stop shopping you can do, the more it could slow traffic in the mall for all the other guys.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Here's a drawing of the waffle kiosk from the company's website.
Attachments
e36780_4b6519716c8143849634bbd1cd23fad0.jpg_srz_525_531_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpeg
e36780_4b6519716c8143849634bbd1cd23fad0.jpg_srz_525_531_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz.jpeg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cdub wrote:I wonder what adding on stores with separate entrances would do long term to the mall.  I think you have to be careful about trying to be all things.  The only way the larger mall works is getting people actually inside.  Yes, the large anchors have entrances but the more one stop shopping you can do, the more it could slow traffic in the mall for all the other guys.
I see your point. People park, go in to that store then leave. One thing though, these aren't additional entrances, just different things to enter at that location. The old food court had an outside entrance, and the new one already has one there as well.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Greg S wrote:
cdub wrote:I wonder what adding on stores with separate entrances would do long term to the mall.  I think you have to be careful about trying to be all things.  The only way the larger mall works is getting people actually inside.  Yes, the large anchors have entrances but the more one stop shopping you can do, the more it could slow traffic in the mall for all the other guys.
I see your point.  People park, go in to that store then leave.  One thing though, these aren't additional entrances, just different things to enter at that location.  The old food court had an outside entrance, and the new one already has one there as well.

Greg
I'm more inclined to go to a store in an enclosed mall if I can get in and out quickly, without walking through a lot of the rest of the mall. I park and shop more out of necessity with a single item in mind, rather than by impulse or browsing. That type of (point & shoot) shopping is probably less common. I suppose most retailers prefer the "capture and hold" technique though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Radio Shack has closed, making room for the demo for the new food court. Weitz Construction has parked their trailer in the northwest lot which indicates to me that it will begin shortly.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Is Radio Shack relocating within the mall, or just closing for good? They are closing a number of stores, so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't reopen.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

One of the guys who worked there said "we're not moving", and wouldn't you know, withing 3 weeks they're closed. Signs sending customers to 178th & Center & 90th & Maple. There really isn't a space large enough left for them. Anything available is really small, like the sushi place that was in Godiva's old spot. Entire demographics in the mall is changing. More to fit the stores offered. Everywhere you look people are carrying bags from one of the many sports shoes stores!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sad... there's virtually nothing left for a man to enjoy in malls any longer. When my father visited from Arizona a while back, we both sat through a Bose sales pitch, just to get through the couple of hours of waiting for my mother/wife shopping at Nebraska Crossing.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stargazer wrote:Sad... there's virtually nothing left for a man to enjoy in malls any longer.  When my father visited from Arizona a while back, we both sat through a Bose sales pitch, just to get through the couple of hours of waiting for my mother/wife shopping at Nebraska Crossing.
"To-do list" shopping is takng over from Destination shopping in malls. No one hangs out in a mall anymore. You go to the store(s) on your list and move on. The problem is that when situations like your come up, there is little or nothing of interest for the other parties tagging along.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I would agree. In the 80's and 90's you'd spend hours at the mall and go more often. Now I only go when I need something, and I'm rarely there more than an hour.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:I would agree.  In the 80's and 90's you'd spend hours at the mall and go more often.  Now I only go when I need something, and I'm rarely there more than an hour.

Greg
Don't you think that it might be that your older and wiser and realize being at a mall is awful?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

When I was a teenager I could spend hours in Spencer gifts. :dilemma: