Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

8th largest is the stat I remember as well. I didn't think of the place as Jetson-ish though at the time but in hindsight I guess you're right.  :;):
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Theater seats pitch, roll and heave

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110520/N ... -and-heave
Bob Fischbach WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Rave is the only theater in Nebraska or Iowa — and one of the first 70 in the world — to offer the technology. The seats pitch, roll and heave — up and down, forward and back, and side to side. You can choose a low, medium or high setting, depending on just how much you want to feel.
The pleasure of feeling the earth move will cost you an extra $8. Add a charge for 3-D, and that pushes the price of a prime-time movie ticket close to $20.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

iamjacobm wrote:Theater seats pitch, roll and heave

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110520/N ... -and-heave
Bob Fischbach WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Rave is the only theater in Nebraska or Iowa — and one of the first 70 in the world — to offer the technology. The seats pitch, roll and heave — up and down, forward and back, and side to side. You can choose a low, medium or high setting, depending on just how much you want to feel.
The pleasure of feeling the earth move will cost you an extra $8. Add a charge for 3-D, and that pushes the price of a prime-time movie ticket close to $20.
Movies are getting to be a flipping joke.  Looks like with this new technology, I could spend $150 to take my family of 5 to the movies.  It is getting to the point where these things are going to cost as much as admission to an amusement park.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If I need to sit in a moving chair and wear 3D glasses to enjoy a movie that is probably one crappy movie.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

iamjacobm wrote:If I need to sit in a moving chair and wear 3D glasses to enjoy a movie that is probably one crappy movie.
I am starting to see the genius of Idiocracy more and more.
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

when went to see pirates opening day, we didn't know anything about them when we picked our seats - apparently we were 2 rows behind them - interesting thing was, while we didn't get jerked side to side or back to front, we could still feel it all the vibrations and stuff....  I did add something to the experience, but i don't think i'd pay the premium...  my recommendation is to sit right behind them and move yourself back & forth.   :mrgreen:
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I went to go see Fast 5 and Pirates

its $17.50 if its a 2D movie (fast 5)
or $21 if its 3D

For me if im going to a theater im going for something I am not going to get by watching at home. I really enjoyed it and would go again. Its the same price as going to a regular movie and buying soda & popcorn. Skip on that and its the same price... :)

Each seat has a sensitivity level to chose from. Off, low, med, high,     Watching fast five was great; you'd feel as if you were in the car. Pirates, depends on the person if you get sea sick well a movie about boats is not the one to see because the seats rock back and fourth a lot.
skywalker23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skywalker23 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:I went to go see Fast 5 and Pirates

its $17.50 if its a 2D movie (fast 5)
or $21 if its 3D

For me if im going to a theater im going for something I am not going to get by watching at home. I really enjoyed it and would go again. Its the same price as going to a regular movie and buying soda & popcorn. Skip on that and its the same price... :)

Each seat has a sensitivity level to chose from. Off, low, med, high,     Watching fast five was great; you'd feel as if you were in the car. Pirates, depends on the person if you get sea sick well a movie about boats is not the one to see because the seats rock back and fourth a lot.
Are you joking? 17.50? I hope that's for 3 people because I'm pretty sure movies were $6.75 when I left this summer. And what's with the sensitivity levels / seat movement? I thought movies were just 30 pictures flashing by each second for 2 hours, with sound...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

It's actually 24 fps for film, unless they changed it for digital distribution in the last 6-7 years or so.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Grow Omaha

New 30,000 store to start construction middle of 2012 and possibly a new restaurant.

Westroads is currently at their highest occupancy and highest sales per square foot in the 45 year history.  They are over some magic 400 SPSF threashold that will open the door to new retailers that will not look at malls with less than 400 SPSF.  Currently Westroads is around 420 SPSF.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I didn't know "Tilt" closed (not that I ever go to the mall)

Westroads' Forever 21 expands to two floors

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120316/M ... floors-men
Leia Mendoza WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Forever 21, a teens and young women's clothing and accessories store, will expand into a two-level store at the Westroads Mall later this year.

The current store, a 7,800-square-foot space on the first level, will relocate into a 6,000-square-foot-space on the first level and a 25,000-square-foot-space in the mall's bottom level where the former Tilt arcade was located. An escalator inside Forever 21 will connect the two levels as well as the escalators in the mall's center court.

It also means the store, which now carries only women's fashions, will expand to offer men's apparel and a wider variety of women's styles and sizes.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Brad wrote:
Leia Mendoza WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote: It also means the store, which now carries only women's fashions, will expand to offer men's apparel and a wider variety of women's styles and sizes.
I'm sure I'd break out laughing at the first "man" I meet who is wearing Forever 21 clothing.

That said, I didn't know Tilt closed either.  There's lots of downstairs to fill...
tfriedenbach
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tfriedenbach »

So we all know that Forever 21 is moving to its two level location.  In the article it says something like the mall is working with two new-to-market retailers.  One of those is Tilly's.  They are sort of like a PacSun in a way, skater shop.  But does anyone know what the second retailer is?  Someone told me that it would be an H&M, but that makes no sense, because their stores seem like it wouldn't fit in that space. Anyone know?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jim Sadler, GM of Westroads Mall was on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Several pieces of info.

1.  Mall Remodel starting in the beginning on 2013 (New Tile, New Paint, New lights, Bathrooms)
2.  Westroads is 97% leased, the highest ever in the 45 year history.
3.  Tilly's, a new to Omaha concept, is taking over the old forever 21 location, should start construction in January
4.  Rasiing canes will start construction in Jaunary
5.  Forever 21 is doing Great business.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Is Tilly's the suffer dude shop?   Could look it up I guess..
Brad wrote:Jim Sadler, GM of Westroads Mall was on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Several pieces of info.

1.  Mall Remodel starting in the beginning on 2013 (New Tile, New Paint, New lights, Bathrooms)
3.  Tilly's, a new to Omaha concept, is taking over the old forever 21 location, should start construction in January
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Is Tilly's the suffer dude shop?   Could look it up I guess..
Brad wrote:Jim Sadler, GM of Westroads Mall was on Grow Omaha this past Saturday.

Several pieces of info.

That's what I came up with.  He compared it to the Buckle, but I don't know that I have been to the buckle enough to know what its like.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Surfs up in Nebraska radical dudes!
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote: 5.  Forever 21 is doing Great business.
I had to stop in here to pick up a Christmas Gift certificate for my daughter - my once a year visit -- the store is huge compared to what it was and one set of escalators takes you to the upper level
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

AMC bought the Rave Theater.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:AMC bought the Rave Theater.
That's what I meant to post here earlier this week. I was looking at movie times Sunday and the AMC Westroads location confused me. Apparently AMC bought the Omaha Rave location earlier this month:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rave_Cinemas
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Thats really disappointing news. Rave was my second favorite theatre in the area after Aksarben. With the way Oakview is looking now I'm worried Rave is going to get run down real fast and the prices will only go up. I guess it could be worse, it could be a Marcus.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Does AMC havea  history of buying well-run cinemas and running them into the ground? At least service-wise?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

cp jay 07 wrote:I guess it could be worse, it could be a Marcus.
Out of curiosity, what do you not like about Marcus?

I stopped going to movie theaters until the Midtown one opened up and drew me back.  The food is still terrible but beer-to-your seat can't be beat.
Stable genius.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

They make the poor employees wear stupid tuxedo uniforms at Marcus theaters and they don't take American Express.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

The cheesy tuxedos is part of it. Also most Marcus theatres seem really run down, VP should look like a very nice theatre but to me looks like it is as old as Twin Creek inside. Also Marcus' picture is not even close to Rave or AkSarBen and I've audio problems when I have gone to one.

If you just do Midtown for the beer I suggest you really try AkSarBen's bar also.

My list of movie theatres goes like this, and mind you I live in the 50th and Leavenworth area.

1)AkSarBen
2)Rave
3)AMC Council Bluffs (I'll only go here if its an IMAX or none of the above have a time that works for me)
4)Midtown (This is more for the experience of CineDine even though the food is terrible and being close to DT for drinks afterwards)
5)All the rest of the Marcus and Oakview (Really Try to avoid these at all costs)

Has any one been to 20 Grand lately? I think I was a freshman in high school last time I was there and it was becoming very Cinema Center like back then.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The old carpet embroidered with the Douglas Theaters logo at a few Marcus locations adds to the decor.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

any word on when the remodel will start? I've been there recently and nothing is going on. This mall is the best in Omaha but it is extremely outdated an in need of the help. Can't wait for it to be updated!
tfriedenbach
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tfriedenbach »

Tilly's has started their construction in the old Forever 21 space.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

AMC to take over Westroads movie theater

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130220/M ... ie-theater
Barbara Soderlin WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:AMC Theatres has acquired the movie theater at Westroads Mall from Rave Cinemas of Dallas, one of several Rave theaters around the country that AMC has taken over this winter.

Westroads Mall's senior general manager, Jim Sadler, said he doesn't expect any major renovations at the theater, which opened in 2008 as the city's first all-digital cinema. “The theater is relatively brand new,” Sadler said.

New signs are in the works, he said. The mall owns the land and AMC owns the building, Sadler said.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I saw a billboard that said that Raising Canes will be opening a store in Westroads.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I saw a billboard that said that Raising Canes will be opening a store in Westroads.

It has been brought up in the Raising Canes thread, but it is good to mention here too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Multimillion dollar Westroads renovation includes food court, WiFi installation
Westroads Mall has begun work on a multimillion dollar, two-phase renovation that will include a revamped food court, new energy-efficient escalators and installation of Wi-Fi and cellphone charging stations in some areas.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

H&M opening Spring 2014
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:H&M opening Spring 2014

The 18,000-square-foot store will include full-priced collections for ladies, men, young ladies and young men with separate “store within store” sections for accessories. The location will also carry H&M's children's collection.

The store will take four bays on the third level in the JC Penney wing across from Greenberg's jewelry. Pac Sun and Spencer's Gifts will relocate in the mall to make way for the new store, Westroads Senior General Manager Jim Sadler said.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20130820/M ... roads-mall
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big get for Westroads.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:Big get for Westroads.
And me!! I loved shopping there in KC!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Re: Westroads Development

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I am not sure on what this can be but Westroads just posted this on their Facebook:

Westroads Mall
We have big BIG news! And we want you to be the first to know!
Once we get 100 likes on this post, we will share the news!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:I am not sure on what this can be but Westroads just posted this on their Facebook:

Westroads Mall
We have big BIG news! And we want you to be the first to know!
Once we get 100 likes on this post, we will share the news!!!
House of Hoops
Westroads Mall wrote:
This fall, Westroads will be adding House of Hoops to our retailer lineup. They will be located on the upper level near jcpenney. Hit like if you are as excited as we are!
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Bummer...... I thought it would be NEWS not something we all knew :)