Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Westroads Development

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was just discussing with my wife last night about how funny it is in Omaha when a restaurant opens or closes there are always long lines. (ex. Venice Inn, Piccolo Pete's, Chick-fil-A, Raising Cane's, The Cheesecake Factory).
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I don't think this is limited to Omaha. New places generate excitement, places closing generates nostalgia, both generate press.

I thought the Flagship Commons managed the surge of people for their opening pretty well. I think its success is likely dependent on how much they are able to draw nearby office workers for lunch outside of the normal mall crowd. A spinach salad with goat cheese and chicken plus a soda set me back $18.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Dundeemaha wrote: A spinach salad with goat cheese and chicken plus a soda set me back $18.
Wow that seems a little steep for a salad at dinner or lunch. That is why I am curious to see how the place does due to the higher prices than the typical mall food court prices of $7-10 for a meal and drink.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

The more $ spent on food may translate to fewer $ spent in the stores. That wouldn't be good for the retailers. Prices seem kind of high, it will be interesting to see how many mall employees will eat there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

At least they are keeping Raising Cane's, so there will be a lower cost option.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$18.00 for a salad? What are the other prices like in the Hall?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

For that, I could go across the street and eat a real meal at JCMandarin and still have money left over.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Coyote wrote:$18.00 for a salad? What are the other prices like in the Hall?
http://flagshipcommons.com/menus
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Coyote wrote:$18.00 for a salad? What are the other prices like in the Hall?
http://flagshipcommons.com/menus
Thanks, I'll have to look at this at home, its not pulling up here.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I couldn't get any of them to load either. I do know that they were working last week.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The menu loaded. I found Blatt's menu. Not a big fan of Blatt's, so I can't comment on price comparison. Looks like a bunch of places from downtown and Dundee are trying to go for the West O market.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

bigredmed wrote:For that, I could go across the street and eat a real meal at JCMandarin and still have money left over.
I'm glad that JCMandarin is still open. We used to eat there all the time. Food was outstanding and the staff was great.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

$3.50 is WAY too much to pay for a taco.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

Looks interesting but lots of these places have add ons which can make it expensive. That salad for $18? wow, I thought Panera was expensive and they make great salads. It'll be interesting to check out at least as it's something new for Westroads Mall.
What's simple is true...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

NovakOmaha wrote:
bigredmed wrote:For that, I could go across the street and eat a real meal at JCMandarin and still have money left over.
I'm glad that JCMandarin is still open. We used to eat there all the time. Food was outstanding and the staff was great.
Went there tonight. Place was busy. Food was great. Two entrees, Edamame, and potstickers, with tea for two and tip $52. I think they will be getting my money before this new place.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Went yesterday to see what it was all about. Got there after 1pm and it was PACKED! Went to Juan Taco and got a carnitas taco, chips & queso, and a drink. Total was $12.07. The taco was $3.75 and I thought that was steep for one smallish taco. However, the basket of chips was enough for 2 and we didn't even get to the bottom of the queso. Guy standing next to me was eating from Weirdough. That looked really good and is next on my list to try.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The quesadilla at Juan Taco is the same price as tacos and was pretty filling. Got that and a beer for under 8 when I was there. Perfect midday bite to hold me over to dinner.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

The old Food Court is all but closed. Only remaining open are those that are relocating, Raising Canes, Subway & DQ. They had said that the old Food Court was closing 12/31. They didn't lie!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I went in there yesterday to check it out and look at the menus. Edit: Actually went in to get Sbarro one last time, figured 12/31 was their last day.

From what I took in, none of these places offer an actual meal. Not to mention all are over-priced

The only thing going for it is it's hip and new. As soon as that wears off, I bet most of the current restaurants move out and are replaced by your run of the mill mall restaurants. If the kitchens are even big enough.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

daveoma wrote:$3.50 is WAY too much to pay for a taco.
And $3.50 for green tea!
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Busguy2010 wrote:I went in there yesterday to check it out and look at the menus. Edit: Actually went in to get Sbarro one last time, figured 12/31 was their last day.

From what I took in, none of these places offer an actual meal. Not to mention all are over-priced

The only thing going for it is it's hip and new. As soon as that wears off, I bet most of the current restaurants move out and are replaced by your run of the mill mall restaurants. If the kitchens are even big enough.
Maybe they could not get any legit restaurants interested so they manufactured this bogus tale of how they had a great new idea to bring in these new restaurants that nobody ever heard of.

Here is an all star food court line-up I guarantee would destroy that mickey mouse unheard of Commons.......

1) 5 Guys and Fries
2) Chik Fila
3) Panera bread
4) Kentucky Fried Chicken
5) Dunkin Donuts
6) Jimmy Johns
7) Taco Bell
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Busguy2010 wrote:From what I took in, none of these places offer an actual meal. Not to mention all are over-priced
What would you consider to be an actual meal? All of the places (except the coffee shop) sell actual meals.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think an American's notion of a meal is more than enough calories for two people..
15-17, 26, 32
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:From what I took in, none of these places offer an actual meal. Not to mention all are over-priced
What would you consider to be an actual meal? All of the places (except the coffee shop) sell actual meals.
An actual meal, for instance at the taco place would be a taco, and sides of corn salsa, rice, and beans with a drink. At the pizza place it would be a slice of pizza, side of bread with tomato spread and a side salad.

Do they offer anything like that or do I have to buy it all separately and spend $15?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

daveoma wrote:$3.50 is WAY too much to pay for a taco.
Tell that to Voodoo Taco. Can't vouch for the quality of this place vs. Voodoo, but from what I'm hearing and see on their website, this is basically just using Voodoo's business model with a bit of Chipotle/Qdoba pricing thrown in on the burritos. Voodoo Taco seems to be doing just fine and have been in expansion mode over the last couple of years. So, I wouldn't call it a mistake to imitate them.

I wouldn't call a single taco at Voodoo to be filling, per se, but most of their offerings average from $3.85 to even higher at $4.45 per taco. A burrito at Qdoba is going to cost you $7-$8. So, we can't act like Juan Taco is somehow off the charts in terms of their pricing.

Just sounds like Flagship saw business models that were working for other quick casual American style Mexican restaurants and are trying to imitate them. Again, not a bad idea as from what I've seen Qdoba, Chipotle, and Voodoo are typically always full around lunch time.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
An actual meal, for instance at the taco place would be a taco, and sides of corn salsa, rice, and beans with a drink. At the pizza place it would be a slice of pizza, side of bread with tomato spread and a side salad.

Do they offer anything like that or do I have to buy it all separately and spend $15?
I think alot of people in this thread are confusing quick casual with fast food in terms of pricing. It's a mistake to think the pricing on those types of dining options are anywhere close to the same for purposes of this discussion.

You can eat for $5 at McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc.

But, see how much it's going to cost you to get a full meal at quick casual places like Pepperjax, Voodoo Taco, Chipotle, Qdoba, and Pie Five. At any one of those places, you're going to be at about $10 plus for an entree, side, and a drink. Even look at higher end (in terms of price) sandwich shops like Wich Wich and Firehouse. They are essentially quick casual as well. It's going to cost you roughly $8-$9 at most of those places for a sandwich, chips, and drink.

If that business model wasn't working, there wouldn't be long lines at lunch time. If anything, I'm confident in saying that the professional business crowd that exists around the Old Mill area isn't as interested in "the usual suspects" as they used to be and want other options more often than not. They are well paid and want something better than a McDonalds value meal every day. Quick casual options are more in their wheelhouse. They are willing to pay $8-$9 to avoid the typical fast food brands.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Busguy2010 wrote: at the taco place would be a taco, and sides of corn salsa, rice, and beans with a drink.

At the pizza place it would be a slice of pizza, side of bread with tomato spread and a side salad.

The taco place has all of that.
The pizza place does have pizza, salad and drinks, but no breadsticks or other breads.

You should check out their menus. They sell meals. http://flagshipcommons.com/menus

They are all separate items which is great for people that don't want to pay extra for things that they do not want.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

I guess I am the odd ball we went and our two kids. We each chose different places. The prices are a bit higher than normal generic food court food but we found it suffice and didn't need seconds or feel hungry. I never ate at a mall food court as to us it seemed blah and basic quick grab and go with ought quality.

Sad part is we haven't been to the mall in a long time. We ate at commons and landed up walking the mall coming back with all new shoes and clothes and a movie after. The commons caused us to actually spend more money than we would have.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:I guess I am the odd ball we went and our two kids. We each chose different places. The prices are a bit higher than normal generic food court food but we found it suffice and didn't need seconds or feel hungry. I never ate at a mall food court as to us it seemed blah and basic quick grab and go with ought quality.

Sad part is we haven't been to the mall in a long time. We ate at commons and landed up walking the mall coming back with all new shoes and clothes and a movie after. The commons caused us to actually spend more money than we would have.
You say you never ate at a mall food court in your entire life. :roll:
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote: at the taco place would be a taco, and sides of corn salsa, rice, and beans with a drink.

At the pizza place it would be a slice of pizza, side of bread with tomato spread and a side salad.

The taco place has all of that.
The pizza place does have pizza, salad and drinks, but no breadsticks or other breads.

You should check out their menus. They sell meals. http://flagshipcommons.com/menus

They are all separate items which is great for people that don't want to pay extra for things that they do not want.
I can get a Carne Asada taco with sides of rice and beans, and a drink for $9.75 at Juan Taco.
At Weirdough I can get their closest version of a meat lover's pizza slice, side salad, and drink for $10.75.

I'm not arguing anything, I'm just stating my initial impression of the place. It seems niche and overpriced in my opinion. Not that I'll never try it, it just appears not to be my type of thing at first exposure.

Thanks. If I ever try it, I'll know what to get now.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

omaha79 wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

I think alot of people in this thread are confusing quick casual with fast food in terms of pricing. It's a mistake to think the pricing on those types of dining options are anywhere close to the same for purposes of this discussion.

You can eat for $5 at McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc.

But, see how much it's going to cost you to get a full meal at quick casual places like Pepperjax, Voodoo Taco, Chipotle, Qdoba, and Pie Five. At any one of those places, you're going to be at about $10 plus for an entree, side, and a drink. Even look at higher end (in terms of price) sandwich shops like Wich Wich and Firehouse. They are essentially quick casual as well. It's going to cost you roughly $8-$9 at most of those places for a sandwich, chips, and drink.

If that business model wasn't working, there wouldn't be long lines at lunch time. If anything, I'm confident in saying that the professional business crowd that exists around the Old Mill area isn't as interested in "the usual suspects" as they used to be and want other options more often than not. They are well paid and want something better than a McDonalds value meal every day. Quick casual options are more in their wheelhouse. They are willing to pay $8-$9 to avoid the typical fast food brands.
Dont get me wrong, I really appreciate quality food. That's why I cook a lot of my own food. Kudos to Westroads in competing for the well paid young person's dollar. This new food court is a big change for the mall that went from fast food to quick casual. It attracts a different group of people. I, apparently, am not a part of the target.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Good point. I wonder who really is the target group.
So Flagship gets their best chefs together to design a new concept 'Food Hall'.
For whom? And for what does this group desire?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

For the sizable segment of the population that have stagnated places like McDonald's sales while booming the quick casual dinning options in this country.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Coyote wrote:Good point. I wonder who really is the target group.
So Flagship gets their best chefs together to design a new concept 'Food Hall'.
For whom? And for what does this group desire?
The target is young professionals in the surrounding office buildings for the lunch crowd and probably the 15-30 demographic that would normally frequent the mall anyway that have oodles of disposable income.

Keep in mind, since we've been discussing "the usual suspects" quite a bit in this thread, all of those suspects exist just down the street near Old Mill at 114th and Dodge. McDonalds, Burger King, Subway, Jimmy Johns, and Dairy Queen all have stand alone locations down there.

The goal here is likely to entice people to visit the mall and give them something they can't get anywhere else. You don't create that with Burger King. You have a shot at creating that with this. Maybe when the young professional at lunch grabs a quick taco and drink, they also decide to run into a store and spend $75 on a pair of shoes as well.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Like it has been mentioned on here before, I don't think we will truly find out how this place is going to do until the newness wears off. I think it may appeal to some, but I hardly believe that nearby office workers will continually visit it frequently. The biggest thing is going to be getting through the year to next Christmas. There are plenty of shoppers at that time that need something to eat.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

If they are catering to the lunch crowd in addition to shoppers, I think Flagship's success will come down to how easy it is to get your food in a reasonable amount of time. The days of less-than $5.00 lunches are over. Even a Jimmy John's or Subway combo is over $7.00 now. I hope the new Crossroads includes something like a Flagship concept, since I work near there....although I haven't tried it yet. It's easier to go to the Subway at NFM than the other one nearby, even if I don't want to shop. I could see NFM having success expanding/adding something similar to Flagship, especially if they build a new store between Jones St. and Farnam someday.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Like it has been mentioned on here before, I don't think we will truly find out how this place is going to do until the newness wears off. I think it may appeal to some, but I hardly believe that nearby office workers will continually visit it frequently. The biggest thing is going to be getting through the year to next Christmas. There are plenty of shoppers at that time that need something to eat.
You would think the nearby office workers wouldn't visit the mall on lunch frequently, but I'm always amazed by just how many people there are in the food court over lunch time. The old Westroads food court always seemed busy the few times I had to go to the mall during that time.

I work at roughly 90th and Dodge. I often hear co-workers talk about going to the mall to grab food. I've also heard several people talking excitedly about the new food hall being a nice option for lunch.

There are several office buildings close to the Westroads including Embassy Park down to the building that houses AFLAC that don't have cafeterias where Westroads has traditionally become their de facto lunch room. Those employees don't even have to get out onto Dodge to go to the Westroads either, which is a plus.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I go there periodically for lunch. I'll be curious on prices. I really don't want to spend 10 bucks or more to eat in a food court. Even a nicer one. Once you get in that price range or higher might as well go to a sit down restaurant.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Greg S wrote:I go there periodically for lunch. I'll be curious on prices. I really don't want to spend 10 bucks or more to eat in a food court. Even a nicer one. Once you get in that price range or higher might as well go to a sit down restaurant.

Greg

Agreed.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Throwing out an idea to keep the conversation going....

At the old food court, there were many different restaurants over the years. Sometimes restaurants fail/shut down and other places move in. Popeye's :(
The new food court is owned/operated by one company that has other restaurants around Omaha. If one restaurant in the food court isn't doing so hot, it doesn't need to be shut down. Also there's some economy of scale with buying ingredients. So the new food court has some ability to cope with lower demand.

Thoughts?