Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Westroads Development

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:Wow I'm shocked and disappointed in this one..
Judging by all the reaction on social media and in the news, you are very much in the minority on this one.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MTO wrote:A container store at the Westrosds mall, that's utterly asinine. Wow I'm shocked and disappointed in this one. But that'll let crossroads get the better brands they'll need to get dirt flying.
What were you hoping for?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Greg S wrote:
MTO wrote:A container store at the Westrosds mall, that's utterly asinine. Wow I'm shocked and disappointed in this one. But that'll let crossroads get the better brands they'll need to get dirt flying.
What were you hoping for?
Not a container store. Yuck!
15-17, 26, 32
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

For those disappointed by the announcement of the Container Store, I'm curious if you've ever been to one. It's really more than just shelves of plastic boxes or totes. Think of ANYTHING storage or organization related for EVERY room in your house from Target, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Menard, etc. all in one clean, streamlined, well-designed showroom. It's like IKEA, but with far less furniture.

I think it's a huge win for Omaha and fits in well with what seems to be Westroads new direction for higher end, well-known brands.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If you are calling yourself the Container Store shouldn't your store front look something like this? :D
Attachments
89fa0e2d4aa414e3815d5ac42a21e7dc.jpg
89fa0e2d4aa414e3815d5ac42a21e7dc.jpg (48.48 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

schumatt wrote:For those disappointed by the announcement of the Container Store, I'm curious if you've ever been to one. It's really more than just shelves of plastic boxes or totes. Think of ANYTHING storage or organization related for EVERY room in your house from Target, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Menard, etc. all in one clean, streamlined, well-designed showroom. It's like IKEA, but with far less furniture.

I think it's a huge win for Omaha and fits in well with what seems to be Westroads new direction for higher end, well-known brands.
I hope it's more than just containers, for someone who never heard of it before I thought it was boxes or Tupperware. Ok so maybe like Staples then an over simplistic name for a store with a variety of things. I'd love some ultra modern cupboards with LEDs in them is that something they'd carry? Something like that would be more appropriate for Regency or some large suburban retail center not a mall with a Cheesecake Factory.
15-17, 26, 32
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I'm over the moon! After we moved to Omaha from Dallas 10 years ago, I periodically sent The Container Store emails asking them to look at the Omaha market. On my visit to KC last year we had to stop by their store. It's the Mecca for anyone who loves to organize. They also carry the absolutely best Christmas wrap during the holidays.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not a big mall guy anymore (grew up and worked in them in the 80's) but everyone at my work seemed real happy with this choice. The only ones that were disappointed were the ones hoping for Macy's (even though Macy's was never an option with the financial difficulties facing traditional department stores).

Greg
Phillip
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Phillip »

MTO wrote:
schumatt wrote:For those disappointed by the announcement of the Container Store, I'm curious if you've ever been to one. It's really more than just shelves of plastic boxes or totes. Think of ANYTHING storage or organization related for EVERY room in your house from Target, Home Depot, Bed Bath & Beyond, Menard, etc. all in one clean, streamlined, well-designed showroom. It's like IKEA, but with far less furniture.

I hope it's more than just containers, for someone who never heard of it before I thought it was boxes or Tupperware. Ok so maybe like Staples then an over simplistic name for a store with a variety of things. I'd love some ultra modern cupboards with LEDs in them is that something they'd carry? Something like that would be more appropriate for Regency or some large suburban retail center not a mall with a Cheesecake Factory.
Their name is misleading. About half the store is the Elfa brand closet systems that are from Sweden and their new TCS closets. The other half is products for home offices, laundry rooms, and kitchens. IMHO, they're a much better fit for Westroads than a large suburban retail center.

When I re-did my walk in closets, I compared California Closets, Ikea and (reluctantly) the Container Store because a friend who is an interior designer referred them. I ended up going with them.

Their TCS line has modern cupboards with integrated LED lighting. I'm not sure about the Elfa system though.

Here's some photos of their closets:

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Whatever, the container store is AWESOME! They have a ton of stuff (not just containers) used to organize your home.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Phillip wrote:
MTO wrote:

Their name is misleading. About half the store is the Elfa brand closet systems that are from Sweden and their new TCS closets. The other half is products for home offices, laundry rooms, and kitchens. IMHO, they're a much better fit for Westroads than a large suburban retail center.

When I re-did my walk in closets, I compared California Closets, Ikea and (reluctantly) the Container Store because a friend who is an interior designer referred them. I ended up going with them.

Their TCS line has modern cupboards with integrated LED lighting. I'm not sure about the Elfa system though.

Here's some photos of their closets:

Boy did I misjudge, get me some American brands and I'll drop some cash in there.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote: Boy did I misjudge, get me some American brands and I'll drop some cash in there.
You finally see the light?
I guess if you haven't been in one the name does throw you off.
I've just taken for granted this place in the cities I have lived in, I forgot we didn't have one here.
This is an easy start for home improvements without having any Tim Taylor skills.
But look out... Once you start, you might not know where the end lies...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They have already ripped the front off the exterior of the road old food court…
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:They have already ripped the front off the exterior of the road old food court…
Here is the picture from the World Herald:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Already reported on here but here is a story:
Flagship Commons eyes second course, may expand beyond Westroads
The concept, with eight local restaurants under one shopping mall roof, may expand its reach beyond Nebraska in the coming years, said Nick Hogan, chief executive of Flagship Restaurant Group, which operates the hall.
Sales at the hall are exceeding Flagship’s expectations and are double those of the old food court, which closed just before the new hall opened, said Jim Sadler, senior general manager at Westroads.

The hall could exist someday outside of a shopping center, too. Hogan said airports and stand-alone locations in more of an urban core have been considered as well, but shopping centers like Westroads — many of which are looking to update their dining options and draw in more traffic to compete with online retailers — present the greatest opportunity.

Sadler said the mall is in talks with a new-to-Westroads retailer that is interested in opening right across from the food hall. A few of the shops there now are on temporary leases.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

skinzfan23 wrote:Already reported on here but here is a story:
Sadler said the mall is in talks with a new-to-Westroads retailer that is interested in opening right across from the food hall. A few of the shops there now are on temporary leases.
I noticed these bays when I was in there before. Perfect opportunity for a food/drink/entertainment place to move in. Hopefully it's not a clothing store or something unrelated to the food court.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
I noticed these bays when I was in there before. Perfect opportunity for a food/drink/entertainment place to move in. Hopefully it's not a clothing store or something unrelated to the food court.

The fact that the word RETAILER was used makes me think it is unlikely food court related. Combine that with the fact the the food stuff is all locally based for the commons area that would not fit with new to the market mention.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The article mentioned "new to Westroads" not "new to market"..

Obviously, my hope is for whatever ends up in that space, "new to Westroads" actually means new to Omaha :cheers: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Yeah, it says new to Westroads.

Can you imagine if Raising Cane's had moved in there? Do you think there would be "food court police" that wouldn't allow people to bring Cane's chicken into the Flagship Commons?

But how about a dessert place? Or move the children's play area over there (so parents can sit at the bar (lol))?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Could see Urban Outfitters making a move, they would be way more profitable in the mall than where they are now.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Flagship Commons eyes second course, may expand beyond Westroads
The concept, with eight local restaurants under one shopping mall roof, may expand its reach beyond Nebraska in the coming years, said Nick Hogan, chief executive of Flagship Restaurant Group, which operates the hall.
Sales at the hall are exceeding Flagship’s expectations and are double those of the old food court, which closed just before the new hall opened, said Jim Sadler, senior general manager at Westroads.

The hall could exist someday outside of a shopping center, too. Hogan said airports and stand-alone locations in more of an urban core have been considered as well, but shopping centers like Westroads — many of which are looking to update their dining options and draw in more traffic to compete with online retailers — present the greatest opportunity.

I saw this on the morning news yesterday. Looks like Food Halls are the thing these days.

Nothing is off the menu at popular food halls

justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

iamjacobm wrote:Could see Urban Outfitters making a move, they would be way more profitable in the mall than where they are now.
lol no
Imissomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Imissomaha »

I was visiting my son in Omaha and had a chance to eat at Flagship Commons. I really thought the concept was creative and should catch on other places. I can't say there is anything quite like it in Nashville.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Effective April 1, 3 stores are relocating. Vanity is moving into the old Delia's/Three Clothing spot upstairs center court, 1200 Images Art & Custom Framing is moving to the old American Greetings store across from DSW and Fashion Trends is moving 2 doors down into the vacated New York & Co. That leaves 3 bays open for an unnamed tba retailer who is taking all 3. New retailer apparently hasn't signed yet
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

debradomayer wrote:Effective April 1, 3 stores are relocating. Vanity is moving into the old Delia's/Three Clothing spot upstairs center court, 1200 Images Art & Custom Framing is moving to the old American Greetings store across from DSW and Fashion Trends is moving 2 doors down into the vacated New York & Co. That leaves 3 bays open for an unnamed tba retailer who is taking all 3. New retailer apparently hasn't signed yet
Thanks for all the great westroads inlet you give us!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Effective April 1, 3 stores are relocating. Vanity is moving into the old Delia's/Three Clothing spot upstairs center court, 1200 Images Art & Custom Framing is moving to the old American Greetings store across from DSW and Fashion Trends is moving 2 doors down into the vacated New York & Co. That leaves 3 bays open for an unnamed tba retailer who is taking all 3. New retailer apparently hasn't signed yet
Thanks! Any guesses out there?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Thanks! Any guesses out there?
The Crate and Barrel Rumor that was the other half of the Container Store Rumor?

Restoration Hardware?

Hopefully anything but more clothing...
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

I would have taken Restoration Hardware from 15+ years ago, today, not so much. It's drab gray/taupe mess since it was "revitalized and up scaled".
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

I heard a rumor today that the Microsoft Store in Center Court is closing. I was initially hopeful that they might be the tenant for this new space, but based on the conversation, that doesn't sound like the case.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I personally feel like those kiosks are uninviting for browsers because multiple sales people are always looming, eager to give a sales pitch.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

lisanstan wrote:I would have taken Restoration Hardware from 15+ years ago, today, not so much. It's drab gray/taupe mess since it was "revitalized and up scaled".

Agreed. Restoration Hardware used to be kind of a fun store to shop in. Such a variety. Would always go in there in KC, also shopped at one in Old Towne Alexandria. The last 10 years it has not been worth it.

Greg
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I'd like to see Arhaus open a store in Westroads. They have some really cool stuff in their stores.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Yup Microsoft kiosk is gone. Now if they can only get rid of the Dead Sea lotion people we'd be happy
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

As an Person I cannot wait to dance on that spot.
15-17, 26, 32
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Rue 21 was announced this morning on Grow Omaha taking the 3 bays vacated by 1200 Images, Vanity & Fashion Trends. Open in June. Boy do they have a lot of work to do!
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

debradomayer wrote:Yup Microsoft kiosk is gone. Now if they can only get rid of the Dead Sea lotion people we'd be happy
I agree. The Dead Sea people have to go. They're so annoying.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Rue 21 was announced this morning on Grow Omaha taking the 3 bays vacated by 1200 Images, Vanity & Fashion Trends. Open in June. Boy do they have a lot of work to do!

I was wondering if this was good or bad until I read this:
rue21 is a specialty discount retailer of young men and women’s casual apparel and accessories. Its clothes are designed to appeal to 11- to 17-year-olds who aspire to be 21 and adults who want to look and feel 21.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
debradomayer wrote:Rue 21 was announced this morning on Grow Omaha taking the 3 bays vacated by 1200 Images, Vanity & Fashion Trends. Open in June. Boy do they have a lot of work to do!

rue21 is a specialty discount retailer of young men and women’s casual apparel and accessories. Its clothes are designed to appeal to 11- to 17-year-olds who aspire to be 21 and adults who want to look and feel 21.
That is such an odd product description.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

RNcyanide wrote:
Coyote wrote:

That is such an odd product description.
So they sell fake IDs too?
SwedishChef
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SwedishChef »

Coyote wrote:

I was hoping for a great announcement fresh off the heels of The Container Store...but what an underwhelming bummer. We have plenty of teen/early-20s-oriented, fast-fashion retailers in Omaha (particularly at Westroads) already.

I'm still holding out hope that, one day soon, we'll see something like a Nordstrom enter our market. There's a retail black hole for my demographic.
Last edited by SwedishChef on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.