Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Westroads Development

Post by MTO »

Who knows you may get your wish once the Crossroads Village gets announced.
15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I have to say: I really like the Westroads' recent remodel, and I love that new food court -- with the unique places to eat, the recycled barn wood strips, the unique lights, the fireplace, ect. It is awesome.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

RNcyanide wrote:
Coyote wrote:
debradomayer wrote:Rue 21 was announced this morning on Grow Omaha taking the 3 bays vacated by 1200 Images, Vanity & Fashion Trends. Open in June. Boy do they have a lot of work to do!

I was wondering if this was good or bad until I read this:
rue21 is a specialty discount retailer of young men and women’s casual apparel and accessories. Its clothes are designed to appeal to 11- to 17-year-olds who aspire to be 21 and adults who want to look and feel 21.
That is such an odd product description.
Just what Omaha needs: more 11-year-olds trying to look 21.
Jon Benet Ramsey still lives in spirit
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

In other words, Express is getting remodeled. They are adding more space for a larger variety of products. They will eventually make their way into a Top 100 Store, like Express in Jordan Creek, DSM. They should be done by May.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Finally had a chance to eathere, pretty impressive. Was at a similar concept in downtown Portland this weekend called Pine St Market and Flagship has about the same options and far more space.
plaidguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by plaidguy »

The Container Store website lists the Omaha store grand opening as October 22. Won't be long now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

plaidguy wrote:The Container Store website lists the Omaha store grand opening as October 22. Won't be long now.
Over a month later, the World Herald finally reports on this.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looked like the sign was going up today, or at least some sort of template on the face of the building. Also, looks like the permanent interior lights have gone in.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a picture from the World Herald:

43county
Home Owners Association

Post by 43county »

My wife went and walked around Container Store tonight as part of an invitation I received. (Free booze I guess, heck I should've gone)

Anyway, she said it is going to crush it, and I'm sure it will, but I fail to see the appeal personally. Though I hate organizing anything.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

43county wrote:My wife went and walked around Container Store tonight as part of an invitation I received. (Free booze I guess, heck I should've gone)

Anyway, she said it is going to crush it, and I'm sure it will, but I fail to see the appeal personally. Though I hate organizing anything.

I heard that. Just put Gizmos back in there and quit jackin us around.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
43county wrote:My wife went and walked around Container Store tonight as part of an invitation I received. (Free booze I guess, heck I should've gone)

I heard that. Just put Gizmos back in there and quit jackin us around.
Bring Bishop's back also. I'd like some roast beef and a slice of pie.
Bishops.png
Bishops.png (194.92 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Bishops2.png
Bishops2.png (63.05 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I can do without the grandpa stuff, but a Crate and Barrel would have been appreciated.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I thought we had a thread about the auto dealers moving, but I can't find it.

Grow Omaha reporting that a 71K SF retail building with 4 pad sites will go up in the place of the vacated auto dealerships.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17911

Is than an attempt to convert the current dealership into 71K of retail, or will it be a new building?
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I just wanted to note how completely ridiculous that in the prime real estate at Westroads, the store that replaces the old food court on the most visible side of the mall is?!?! the container store... Really... it just seems like a HUGE joke to me. What a waste of a great location.
#gohawks
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

buildomaha wrote:I just wanted to note how completely ridiculous that in the prime real estate at Westroads, the store that replaces the old food court on the most visible side of the mall is?!?! the container store... Really... it just seems like a HUGE joke to me. What a waste of a great location.
Why?
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

I just feel like it is definitely not a very useful store I guess. You don't really need name brand storage/other random household items that you could buy at Walmart. I guess if its what the people want then more power to whoever made the decision :lol: I guess to look at it more positively, getting more of these large chain retailers does mean that Omaha is getting some recognition. :koko:
#gohawks
EATapodcast
New to the Neighborhood

Post by EATapodcast »

The container store is a fun place. Saying that makes me feel old, and in spite of that I still like shopping there. It's got tons of useful things for being a home owner. Those closet displays made my wife light up with joy.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It's like a showroom for Google.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

The Container Store is great. It's a giant box filled with many smaller boxes.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who misses the old food court, the Grand Cafe?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who misses the old food court, the Grand Cafe?
I don't miss it really. But I remember in the early 90's when it was unveiled, with the piano, I thought it was pretty cool...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I kind of miss Bishop's.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

mrsticka wrote:Just out of curiosity, is there anyone who misses the old food court, the Grand Cafe?
I definitely liked it, but I don't know if I'd say I "miss" it.

What I DO miss were the kiosks where you could place your order at Runza. They had them when the food court first opened, but they were way ahead of their time. People would probably love them today.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I would say that I miss the old food court in the sense that it was nice to grab something cheaply and quickly. The biggest problem I have with the new food court is that it always seems really crowded when it is even halfway busy. Also not many cheap options just to grab a quick bite to eat under $5.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Okay. I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk. I was afraid that's how I'd come off.

The Burger King and the Arby's. That's where I'd usually go at the old food court. That's what a mall food court is to me–Grabbing something that's quick and inexpensive. I guess I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I'd go to the Arbys or Popeyes. Once in a while a cup of fries from the great American steak and fry, or whatever it was. Carmichales had a decent sub for the short time they were there. Amigo's was superior to Taco Bell.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

In one way, it does seem like a unique change from the traditional food court, but in another I feel like they "fixed" something that wasn't broken.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I've tried to embrace the new food court. It is a pretty cool looking place, but when it came down to the food options (well, mainly combinations of ingredients relative to price) it just never grabbed my dollar. When I go to the mall I am not willing to try something I'm 50/50 on. And like mrsticka said, maybe it comes down to being old fashioned.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of kids hang out there. Like the 13-15 year olds who are really, really trying to act like they are in their 20's. My goodness. :roll: Really though, when did kids become that outward and obnoxious?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:I kind of miss Bishop's.

Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, and a piece of pie.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Now that I think about it, maybe they should've built it at Crossroads instead of Westroads. Perhaps it could've resurrected that largely dead mall?

Why can't I ever think of these ideas before it's too late? :(
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:I kind of miss Bishop's.
Yes, sir.
Attachments
RoastBeef.jpg
RoastBeef.jpg (41.27 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
pie.jpg
pie.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 3600 times
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

mrsticka wrote:Now that I think about it, maybe they should've built it at Crossroads instead of Westroads. Perhaps it could've resurrected that largely dead mall?

Why can't I ever think of these ideas before it's too late? :(
Average income... Though just a couple miles to the west, Westroads' population base has more income to burn at places like malls.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love the new Flagship Commons. I think it is really unique, and the design is awesome. Could the new, unique food court not have still thrived with keeping the old food court intact downstairs, though? I don't like the fact that Westroads doesn't have more options -- somebody mentioned that. Yet, they opened a Raising Cains & other fast food joint down by Penny's -- and that helps, I think. I don't hardly go to Westroads. I love the latest remodel, and everything, though. I think because that same old elevator is still there, just masked over w/ new materials, it still feels the "same ole' place" to me, and I don't find myself excited to go there. Yet, I respect how the mall has always done a good job of "staying in the game."

Speaking of Westroads, it almost seems impossible to find a picture of the original interior -- especially the center, with the old, dangling Swiss-style clock, and angled staircases.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

RockHarbor wrote:Speaking of Westroads, it almost seems impossible to find a picture of the original interior -- especially the center, with the old, dangling Swiss-style clock, and angled staircases.
The Forgotten Omaha group on Facebook has some great pictures. This one was shared a few weeks ago. In case the inline image doesn't work, this link should take you to the picture.

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh my gosh! THANK YOU so much!! (I've even walked into the mall office in the catacombs, asking if they have any images. I just wanted to remember that interior... )
Last edited by RockHarbor on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Yes, indeed. A nostalgic man such as myself will enjoy looking at old pictures.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

mrsticka wrote:Yes, indeed. A nostalgic man such as myself will enjoy looking at old pictures.
That's great to hear mrsticka.. but forum members are more interested in your progress with Neilsen.. let us know your update in the appropriate thread.. if you've decided to give that up, let us know too..

Someone else will pick up the mantle...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
plaidguy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by plaidguy »

Looks like Aunt Annie's is moving to a permanent kiosk on the first floor in the center of the mall where Microsoft was. Perfume store has also moved to another bay, meaning all four bays on the second floor near Younker's will be empty. Wonder if someone is moving in to take the whole space since they relocated two businesses?