Westroads Development

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Westroads Development

Post by iamjacobm »

Exterior looks great!

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That does look nice for that corner...
Blatt gets top billing I guess.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

It looks great and I'm excited for the opening, though part of me really hates it. I love Sbarro and Sarku, and they are definitely going to be priced out of the mall. Not to mention all the others. I just can't warm up to one company moving into the mall and leaving all the others no option but to close.

Its starting to feel Westroads is getting to be a little too good.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Is it open yet? I know that I saw it was supposed to open in December.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Busguy2010 wrote:It looks great and I'm excited for the opening, though part of me really hates it. I love Sbarro and Sarku, and they are definitely going to be priced out of the mall. Not to mention all the others. I just can't warm up to one company moving into the mall and leaving all the others no option but to close.

Its starting to feel Westroads is getting to be a little too good.

They are going to have some of the cheaper options spread through the mall as well. I know Raisin Canes is going down near Dick's Sporting Goods. I knew a few others from the food court are getting new space too.

Greg
CharleyBarley
New to the Neighborhood

Post by CharleyBarley »

I believe Raisin Canes, Subway, and Dairy Queen are the ones staying and moving to new places throughout the mall. And there's already The Cookie Company, Auntie Annes, Scooters, and Panera.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

CharleyBarley wrote:I believe Raisin Canes, Subway, and Dairy Queen are the ones staying and moving to new places throughout the mall. And there's already The Cookie Company, Auntie Annes, Scooters, and Panera.
Seems like a good variety of the old with the new options coming.

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Busguy2010 wrote:It looks great and I'm excited for the opening, though part of me really hates it. I love Sbarro...
Wow, a Mall without a Sbarro just doesn't feel like a mall at all.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

This thing is going to be the definition of a "DUD." Looks to me like they got more money then common sense. And what a goofy name "Flagship Commons" I don't get it and then to finish it with "An uncommon food mall." Hee hee ha ha excuse me but is that such a good idea to be un common in a mall built around stores that are built around the concept of branding and advertising. Don't these guys know yet in the year 2015 that the best hamburger to most of these people is the fast food chain hamburger they have been programmed to crave since they were kids? Boondoggle Alert!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I'm really looking forward to this opening. Should be nice.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Seth wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:It looks great and I'm excited for the opening, though part of me really hates it. I love Sbarro...
Wow, a Mall without a Sbarro just doesn't feel like a mall at all.
That's what I'm most disappointed about. Not like you can get Sbarro outside of a mall. I wish! I will be bingeing until the last hour.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Furniture-tables & chairs were delivered today, I peeked in & they are getting really close to opening. Thinking perhaps next week sometime. Equipment has been installed for the most part. Probably a lot of finish carpentry to do. They have ship lap and subway tile on the walls. Real modern design
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

New Westroads Mall food court Flagship Commons plans to open by Dec. 21
"This is something truly on the edge of the national food and restaurant scene," Chief Executive Nick Hogan said. "Everybody nationally is scrambling to put together projects like this."
Other features include: a variety of seating and service options; a patio for diners at Blatt Beer & Table; a large fireplace in the center of the space and ping pong and foosball tables.
Construction on the space, situated on the west side of the mall between Younkers and the AMC Theater, began over the summer. Flagship intended to open the hall before Thanksgiving, but deliveries of commercial equipment pushed back the opening.

Sadler said the mall already has a potential, new-to-market tenant lined up to occupy the old food court space.
"We're very close to getting a single user, new to the market and we're very excited about it," he said.
Most eateries at the existing food court will close by the end of the year. Raising Cane's, Dairy Queen and Subway will stay open in their existing spaces until they are able to relocate throughout the mall and reopen sometime early next year, Sadler said.
Wow bet that sucks to not take advantage of the Christmas shoppers except for the last few days before Christmas.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

If you go to http://www.flagshipcommons.com at the top of their webpage it says Join our digital mail club to be notified of their opening date. I signed up awhile ago.

I found out from Facebook today from a friend posting the Omaha.com article.

So their digital mail club turned out to be worthless.

I'm still excited for the new food options on my lunch break!!!
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:If you go to http://www.flagshipcommons.com ...
The prices seem about the same as their sit-down restaurants. So much for generating a new quick concept for a more price conscious mall customer.

Given the prices being about the same, if the quality ever drops below what their sit-down restaurants provide, Flagship will be Sunkship.

Possibly the food is a Trojan horse, the booze is the real endgame as a bar with bar bites over time.

I'm sure Raising Cane's will do very well in their new location.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah the food needs to be good if the prices are the same. I think they are doing it right out there keeping some of the more traditional food shop options in other parts of the mall.

Got to applaud them for doing something different here. Oak View had a great food court in the more traditional sense and it seems to be struggling. Evolve or die.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, I am surprised that their prices are going to be the same. I have reservations about this doing well. I just don't see many people wanting to visit the mall throughout the year and have to pay those prices. The stand-alone restaurants on the perimeter can do that but being inside the mall, the casual shopper is not going to want to spend $10-15 per person to eat.

I personally like having Runza, Taco Bell, or McDonalds in food courts so you can grab something fairly cheap and quick. I don't go to mall to have a great dining experience.

Maybe this woman will love it:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few more pictures from the paper:
I like the thought of making it look like a food truck:

debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

New food court opening is now delayed until 12/28. That from mall management, with a side note that they will believe it when they see it. Still doing finish work including some of the plumbing. This is not a good omen!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

debradomayer wrote:New food court opening is now delayed until 12/28. That from mall management, with a side note that they will believe it when they see it. Still doing finish work including some of the plumbing. This is not a good omen!
Wow, if that is true, they are going to really miss out on all the shoppers before Christmas. I already felt like they did, but I thought if they opened this weekend, they might be ok. I can't imagine that there are huge numbers of shoppers in late December, early January.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BTW - They are calling this the first Food Hall, not a court, according to their radio adds...
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Who even thinks this is a good idea? All they're going to do is fail and then have another food court.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Who even thinks this is a good idea? All they're going to do is fail and then have another food court.
Many people think it's a great idea. Why do you think it will fail? What do you mean by "another food court"?
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Whenever I go to the mall I rarely want to go to a sit in restaurant. Maybe some people do so they could open a shop, but this isn't just one shop its an entire addition. Something this risky should be tested on a smaller scale first. If a lot of people like it then they could open up the addition. Instead they started with a big addition so if people don't like the idea then they'll just end up with a large empty space.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Whenever I go to the mall I rarely want to go to a sit in restaurant. Maybe some people do so they could open a shop, but this isn't just one shop its an entire addition. Something this risky should be tested on a smaller scale first. If a lot of people like it then they could open up the addition. Instead they started with a big addition so if people don't like the idea then they'll just end up with a large empty space.
I have got to agree with this. I don't go to a mall to eat in a restaurant.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Beyond the mall, food courts turn into gourmet destinations
LA Times wrote:The great American food court that rose with the shopping malls of the 1970s is fast disappearing. And in its place is the modern equivalent: a curated roster of restaurants and food purveyors that are more likely to serve a grass-fed beef burger on a brioche bun than a hot dog on a stick. In fact, a food court was just named one of the best new restaurants of the year by a national magazine.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Are these new delicatessens performing well are they making a profit?
15-17, 26, 32
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MTO wrote:Are these new delicatessens performing well are they making a profit?
They must be. The food court has died along with the concept of shopping at leisure rather than targeted purchasing. As women entered the workforce in demanding jobs their shopping patterns change to men's patterns. As they no longer spend days shopping, they no longer bring the kids and need a quick stop for lunch. The kids no longer acculturate to the idea of the mall being cool, and no longer need a hang out place. The food courts now have to compete with real restaurants.
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:All they're going to do is fail and then have another food court.
If they sell a lot of booze, they can survive. I suspect their food offerings will be scaled back over time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jim Sadler, Westroads Senior General Manager said that the old Food Court will shut down on Dec 31st. and that construction will begin mid January for a new to our market tenant which will have closer to 30k sq ft of space featuring its coveted Dodge St. frontage.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Who even thinks this is a good idea? All they're going to do is fail and then have another food court.
Many people think it's a great idea. Why do you think it will fail? What do you mean by "another food court"?

I don't know who you are talking to but the consensus from everyone I talk to is this place is doomed. He means after the current line up of un heard of unconventional restaurants loose enough money that they fold and go out of business then they are going to have to fill that space with known food franchises that the public knows.
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Has anybody been by today? Wondering if there is a soft opening today or tomorrow for new food court area? I'm super excited and living in Des Moines, I just happen to be in Omaha today and was think about checking it out!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I don't know who you are talking to but the consensus from everyone I talk to is this place is doomed. He means after the current line up of un heard of unconventional restaurants loose enough money that they fold and go out of business then they are going to have to fill that space with known food franchises that the public knows.
A shopping mall is not a dining destination. A food court is to grab a quick bite from one of the "usual suspects" while you take a break from shopping or wait for your car to be re-tired. You want something that you know will be tolerably decent. Not the time/place for adventurous or higher-end dining. The usual suspects are expensive enough :)
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

joleo wrote:Has anybody been by today? Wondering if there is a soft opening today or tomorrow for new food court area? I'm super excited and living in Des Moines, I just happen to be in Omaha today and was think about checking it out!
It won't be open until the end of the month.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
joleo wrote:Has anybody been by today? Wondering if there is a soft opening today or tomorrow for new food court area? I'm super excited and living in Des Moines, I just happen to be in Omaha today and was think about checking it out!
It won't be open until the end of the month.
Opens the 28th
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The place might attract more diners than people think with its proximity to the movie theater.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omababe wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I don't know who you are talking to but the consensus from everyone I talk to is this place is doomed. He means after the current line up of un heard of unconventional restaurants loose enough money that they fold and go out of business then they are going to have to fill that space with known food franchises that the public knows.
A shopping mall is not a dining destination. A food court is to grab a quick bite from one of the "usual suspects" while you take a break from shopping or wait for your car to be re-tired. You want something that you know will be tolerably decent. Not the time/place for adventurous or higher-end dining. The usual suspects are expensive enough :)
People want an experience now and not something they have to tolerate. That's why quick serve places like Chipotle and Panera Bread are expanding quickly while the "usual suspects" are pretty stagnant. The website says there will be full service and quick serve options.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omababe wrote:
People want an experience now and not something they have to tolerate. That's why quick serve places like Chipotle and Panera Bread are expanding quickly while the "usual suspects" are pretty stagnant. The website says there will be full service and quick serve options.
Not sure the "experience" that some have gotten at Chipotle recently is the experience that most people are looking for,
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Not sure the "experience" that some have gotten at Chipotle recently is the experience that most people are looking for,
The need for Chipotlaway?
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Keep in mind that they aren't just catering to the shoppers. Westroads food court has always catered to the thousands of office workers within about 5-10 minutes of the mall. Roughly from 84th and Dodge to 120th is where it's feasible to hit Westroads for lunch during a 30-60 minute lunch break. Currently, there are not a large amount of options in the area for quick casual. Sure, there are the "usual suspects" like McDonalds, Burger King, and Subway. But, people get tired of those and most are perceived as unhealthy. There are a fair number of sit down restaurants, but many people don't have that kind of time on a lunch break.

I would think that this would be something that would appeal to the lunchtime office crowd as much as anything. Then, the dinner rush might be made up of a fair number of moviegoers who want something quick that isn't McDonalds, but doesn't require the kind of wait as you'd see at Cheesecake Factory. Then, sprinkle in a few regular mall shoppers, and I'd say it has a fighting chance. Not a slam dunk, but a fighting chance.