Whole Foods

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Sodak
Home Owners Association

Whole Foods

Post by Sodak »

I work near the proposed site for the Whole Foods grocery store (old Burlington Coats Factory) and absolutely nothing has been going on. Anyone seen anything re the status of this development?
omahaismyhomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Whole Foods

Post by omahaismyhomaha »

good question...
eomaha
County Board

Re: Whole Foods

Post by eomaha »

Sometimes these projects can move at a snail pace.
lonnie
Library Board

Whole Foods opening Summer 2005?

Post by lonnie »

On the "Whole Foods" web site..

Nebraska

Omaha
Dodge Rd & Regency Pkwy
Omaha, NE
55,000 sq. ft.
Opening Summer 2005

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/ ... es.html#ne

They have a lot of work refitting that building.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

They seem fairly selective. Is this a surprise to anyone?
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

CountOfMC wrote:They seem fairly selective. Is this a surprise to anyone?
Whole Foods announced the location some time ago ( a year or so), but the Omaha location was always labeled "Opening date to be announced."

The opening date is more firm now.

It looks like Whole Foods went on a real estate shopping spree around the country, and now they are getting the locations built.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Is this pegged for the Burlington Coat Factory building then? I can't remember if anything has moved in there yet.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes this is at the former BCF. I have been wondering when they will begin this project. I has been some time since any news has come out.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for sharing that bit of intel lonnie.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Wouldn't that be the former Sheplers building???

:wink:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Why yes it would. :)
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

OWH - March 22
Work will begin this week on the Whole Foods supermarket at West Dodge Road and Regency Parkway, the company said. The former Burlington Coat Factory building will be "completely redone", though not torn down, said Construction Manageer Jeff Foris. He said the store's opening is now planned for September. Whole Foods focuses on natureal, organic and gormet foods.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It has a pretty unique look/roof line... I don't doubt that it'll have to be 'completely redone'.

Thanks for sharing that update Lonnie.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The paper said it won't totally be torn down, but if you saw the picture in yesterday's paper its doing to look nothing like the burlington coat building. It looked like it will now have a flat roof.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It is nice to see that finally something is going to happen with the former Sheppler's building. I always liked the look (and smell) of that place. Kind of ironic that a building that used to have cowhide and leather ooze out of it's pores will become a whole foods site.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm so glad Omaha is getting a Whole Foods! That, and a Dave & Busters, testifies to the fact that Omaha's image and climate is SO changing! Seriously, the "Big O" is becoming a stylish, mini-Denver or Dallas or Minny. FINALLY! No longer is Omaha in the ranks with places like Amarillo or Billings -- places that have bragging rights over only "Cracker Barrell" and "Old Country Buffett."
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

GRID wrote:I'm so glad Omaha is getting a Whole Foods! That, and a Dave & Busters, testifies to the fact that Omaha's image and climate is SO changing! Seriously, the "Big O" is becoming a stylish, mini-Denver or Dallas or Minny. FINALLY! No longer is Omaha in the ranks with places like Amarillo or Billings -- places that have bragging rights over only "Cracker Barrell" and "Old Country Buffett."
Um...I'm happy for another large natural foods store, too. And while I've never been to Amarillo or Billings I'm sure they are great towns in their own way...just like Omaha is a great CITY in its own way. I would be willing to bet a buck that most Omahans who dine out frequently don't consider Old Country or Cracker Barrell as something to brag about on the dining scene...and I say that with all due respect, as my brother is manager of one of the Cracker Barrells!

We're already a great city, food/dining wise. I doubt the two places you mention that will be opening soon in Omaha will really expand our dining horizons by very much. We already have Wild Oats.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

two wild oats and a whole foods. a dave and busters and in-play.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

NativeOmahan: I totally agree; Omaha is great with or without a natural health food store(s). I'm just happy to see Omaha gain some of the more progressive, "yuppy", stylish chains, that's all. It is a sort of a validation in a way. I mean, if Omaha were never luring those kinds of businesses and stores to town, it would be kind of a shun, the city couldn't ignore. I have to say, it was kind of that way while I grew up, and you always had to go to Minneapolis or KC to hit some of the better stores. However, the retail scene in Omaha has been changing for the better -- much better!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

GRID wrote:NativeOmahan: I totally agree; Omaha is great with or without a natural health food store(s). I'm just happy to see Omaha gain some of the more progressive, "yuppy", stylish chains, that's all. It is a sort of a validation in a way. I mean, if Omaha were never luring those kinds of businesses and stores to town, it would be kind of a shun, the city couldn't ignore. I have to say, it was kind of that way while I grew up, and you always had to go to Minneapolis or KC to hit some of the better stores. However, the retail scene in Omaha has been changing for the better -- much better!
Agreed. The city's offerings have expanded vastly in the past 20 years, both in terms of retail as well as dining and entertainment. Twenty years ago a Chinese restaurant would have been considered a bit exotic. Same with authentic Mexican. No one here heard of fish tacos or tapas or micro-breweries. To be fair, most other cities have seen a similar explosion in dining and entertainment offerings. It comes with an increasingly diverse population and more people traveling to other cultures.

By the way, GRID, welcome aboard. You have hit the ground running, I see. Have you lived here long?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Attracting Whole Foods can be attributed to one individual. He is a real estate leasing broker that contacted Whole Foods and got them interested in the former BCF building. I read about it in a real estate journal over one year ago. A Whole Foods representative said they would not have chosen Omaha if this guy hadn't done the legwork and shown them the niche market in Omaha. I cannot remember his name but he is a one-man shop. His wife missed the natural food stores found in bigger cities and he thought Omaha could support one so he began luring Whole Foods. I'll try and find the article. This is a big catch since they would not be coming if not for this individual and attracting them may open the eyes of other retailers.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Wow, very interesting! Yes, try to find that article.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Is anything else going in this building? I think it's quite a bit larger than 55,000 sq. feet.

Greg
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

nativeomahan wrote:
GRID wrote:NativeOmahan: I totally agree; Omaha is great with or without a natural health food store(s). I'm just happy to see Omaha gain some of the more progressive, "yuppy", stylish chains, that's all. It is a sort of a validation in a way. I mean, if Omaha were never luring those kinds of businesses and stores to town, it would be kind of a shun, the city couldn't ignore. I have to say, it was kind of that way while I grew up, and you always had to go to Minneapolis or KC to hit some of the better stores. However, the retail scene in Omaha has been changing for the better -- much better!
Agreed. The city's offerings have expanded vastly in the past 20 years, both in terms of retail as well as dining and entertainment. Twenty years ago a Chinese restaurant would have been considered a bit exotic. Same with authentic Mexican. No one here heard of fish tacos or tapas or micro-breweries. To be fair, most other cities have seen a similar explosion in dining and entertainment offerings. It comes with an increasingly diverse population and more people traveling to other cultures.

By the way, GRID, welcome aboard. You have hit the ground running, I see. Have you lived here long?
Yeah, I grew up in Omaha, but after highschool, I moved away in the mid-90's to explore more of the world. However, I've been back to Omaha often for Holidays and to visit family since then. I'm actually not living in Omaha right now, as I'm living with my parents. My family is currently living in the KC area (job transfer), but we come up to our hometown at least once a month (including right now, I'm in town for Easter). My parents, and many of my relatives, are also Omaha natives. I wouldn't mind living back in Omaha while I finish college (I'm so excited about how the city has changed for the better, and I certainly find a certain comfort in my hometown). However, honestly, when I try to picture my whole life, I just don't see it lived out in Omaha all my years. I'll always love Omaha, though, and always pay attention to the city's development. I'm always rooting for it! It's in my blood; I grew up looking intensely at the city, and always imagining great things for it. I'm very happy with what I am seeing. The town has so much to offer, and I feel the secret is finally getting out. :)
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Coyote wrote:Yes this is at the former BCF. I have been wondering when they will begin this project. I has been some time since any news has come out.
I happened to drive past this yesterday, and they have basically torn a big hole in the front wall and you could see into the building. I was just waiting at the light at the top of the hill next to it, so that's about all I could see.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thanks for the repy, GRID. KC is certainly a nice place as well. I will be down their next weekend to soak up some of the local doings.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I bank at the Wells Fargo at Regency and was there yesterday and snapped this pic of the former BCF. I'd say its getting a bit of an overhaul. :) The Whole Foods store is a nice pickup for the metro.

flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

[quote="the1wags"]I bank at the Wells Fargo at Regency and was there yesterday and snapped this pic of the former BCF. I'd say its getting a bit of an overhaul. :) The Whole Foods store is a nice pickup for the metro.

I agree. I admit I am somewhat of an organic junkie and do a lot of grocery shopping at Wild Oats. It will be nice to have an alternative, since Wild Oats can be very overpriced at times.

Speaking of Wild Oats, they will be building a 3rd and 4th metro-area store. Probably look for them in Papillion and N. 72nd. ;)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Whoa, four of them? Where did you hear that?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Actually if they build 2 more Wild Oats Markets in the Omaha metro, that will bring the number to 4 as there are 2 already..

Hope they build 'em..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I think I heard a while ago about a organic grocery store going in the Learner Building as a part of the remodeling. Anyone else heard that?
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Attracting Whole Foods can be attributed to one individual. He is a real estate leasing broker that contacted Whole Foods and got them interested in the former BCF building. I read about it in a real estate journal over one year ago. A Whole Foods representative said they would not have chosen Omaha if this guy hadn't done the legwork and shown them the niche market in Omaha. I cannot remember his name but he is a one-man shop. His wife missed the natural food stores found in bigger cities and he thought Omaha could support one so he began luring Whole Foods. I'll try and find the article. This is a big catch since they would not be coming if not for this individual and attracting them may open the eyes of other retailers.

Wow, very interesting! Yes, try to find that article.
Woo, hoo. I found it. Wow, that was quick! :P

The article, "The Power of One," was published in Midewest Real Estate News last fall. A few quotes:

"The 61-year-old Hornish single-handedly introduced Whole Foods market to Omaha; likely much sooner than the company would have considered expansion into Nebraska."

"'She's from Florida (wife), where they have many stores, and she kidded me one day that I should try toi get them out here,' Hornish says.

He took her challenge seriously."

"Contacting Chris Pine, vice president of real estate and development for Whole Foods, Hornish kept up regular contact via e-mail."

"'He was very instrumental in getting our location established there in Omaha, ' Gilmore says. 'Hornish was always keeping in touch with us, and was very thorough and reliable.'"

"'It was great to get their attention, we probably brought them here a good eight to ten years before they had planned to get here. When they got here, they couldn't believe the demographics.'"

"He's leased more than 1 million square feet in Omaha for his clients."

"His most recent large project was finalizing the lease to defense contractor Northrup Grumman Corp. in Bellevue,"
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

Has anyone seen any renderings of what the remodeled building is going to look like? I drive by it every day on my way to work, and it's starting to take shape.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

A friend of mine is putting in the AC/refrigeration for the new store. He was telling me that they are wanting to open in late August, but seeing how far they are right now he doesn't see that being a reality.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for the update Harpoon.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Harpoon wrote:A friend of mine is putting in the AC/refrigeration for the new store. He was telling me that they are wanting to open in late August, but seeing how far they are right now he doesn't see that being a reality.
To update my previous post, the latest news is that they will be done by September 1st, and opening on September 15th... but they still have plenty of work left to make that date.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Is that the old Burlington Coat Factory building?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yes, although they pretty well stripped it down to the framework.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I have a cook who has been hired as a supervisor in the wine & cheese department at Whole Foods. Next week is her last in my kitchen. So I'd say they are still shooting for the September 1 occupancy and September 15 open.

As a side note, I remember the day we took occupancy of InPlay. There were studs for a bar, nothing in the kitchen actually was hooked up, the bathrooms were not finished, and....in less than two weeks we were open. I swear, all the work occurs in a mad dash at the end.