Menards Subdivision (NWC 204th & West Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Pro Bowling Tour is on ESPN right now, LIVE from Omaha!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently having a PBA event in Omaha is no longer news:

Angelo, Nation earn first titles
Mail Tribune wrote:It was a day of firsts as Brad Angelo and Stefanie Nation each captured their first career PBA titles at the Pepsi Viper Championship at Thunder Alley in Omaha, the second stop of the 2008-09 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour. Angelo, of Lockport, N.Y., who entered Sunday's live televised finals as the No. 3 seed, defeated No. 4 seed Wes Malott of Argyle, Texas, 222-195, and No. 2 seed Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., 221-214, in order to advance through the stepladder format. Williams Jr., who is the all-time PBA titles leader with 44, became the first to surpass the $4 million mark with his third-place finish.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Forgive my ignorance on the whole game, but is 222 an awfully low score to win a PBA event?  

Granted, I know I bowl somewhere in the low 50s, but I guarantee I drink more when I do it.   :;):
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

could just be out of their element.  they are fine athletes; i'm sure they can handle 3-4 pitchers while hitting that 222.

Go Cubs Go
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:lafcry: Good one, I love that movie! Shut the |expletive| up Donnie, you're out of your element!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

That score will win a lot of matches on the final day.  You really cant compare the pro scores to anything you see locally or in a league.  The lane conditions are always different and much tougher.  During qualifying week though you will see a lot of scores much higher than that.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

OVER THE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Insert picture of John Goodman with a gun here)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

this isn't 'Nam, Smokey; there are rules here.
Go Cubs Go
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Thunder Alley comes to abrupt end

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090609/N ... /FRONTPAGE
JUAN PEREZ JR. AND JASON KUIPER wrote:Fans of Thunder Alley, the mammoth bowling and entertainment center in the Elkhorn area, were served a gutter ball Monday as the business abruptly closed its doors less than two years after its ballyhooed grand opening.

The exact circumstances behind the sudden closure were unclear Monday evening. Bowlers and employees arrived at the 86,000-square-foot facility to find darkened windows and locked doors marked with "closed" signs.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Only open just over a year and half?  What is that all about?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bad economy, worse location.

Someone spent $10M+ on that.  Ouch.
Stable genius.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

worse location.
Really?  I've never been to Thunder Alley but I always figured it was a good location for lack of other bowling alleys.  I am assuming Elkhorn probably has a bowling alley, correct me if I am wrong, but besides that the farthest west bowling alley I can think of is Cougar lanes on 144th and Industrial Rd.  I did look at the prices one time though and it seemed really expensive.  Charging by the hour rather than by the game seems like a rip off.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i know someone who worked there (until yesterday) and he said the problem was how it was run.  Had something like 10 different managers, all making 50k+ a year.  Additionally, the owner paid outside sales people a generous hourly figure, rather than on a commission basis.  The owner was coming up short by about 10k a month, but could have easily made much of that up by stream-lining management.  Apparently it was generally busy, and the expensive 'per hour' basis (which i agree seems like a rip) didn't deter as much as i thought it would.  Everyone said that it was very nice, but like i said--it was poorly run.  Could have 2-3 managers, commission based sales people (so if they weren't able to bring in parties or corporate events the alley wasn't paying them), and change pricing a tad to draw in people.  Sad to see it go, though I've never been there.  I hear it was the only PBA sanctioned lane in the area.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There was / is another bowling lane in Elkhorn.  It closed when this was built as I believe the Owner of the original Elkhorn Lanes was a part owner in this new venture.  After being closed about six months it was sold and maybe resold and get this, opened back up as a bowling ally.  

Anyone think this is a financial reorganization and the place will open back up in some way shape of form.  I have never been there but knowing a few people that bowl a bunch and have been there they always say it is busy.  No I know busy doesn't mean profitable but it sure plays a role.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

nebugeater wrote:There was / is another bowling lane in Elkhorn.  It closed when this was built as I believe the Owner of the original Elkhorn Lanes was a part owner in this new venture.  After being closed about six months it was sold and maybe resold and get this, opened back up as a bowling ally.  

Anyone think this is a financial reorganization and the place will open back up in some way shape of form.  I have never been there but knowing a few people that bowl a bunch and have been there they always say it is busy.  No I know busy doesn't mean profitable but it sure plays a role.
Ted Baer is one of if not a majority owner.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

omahastylee459 wrote:
worse location.
Really?
Yes.

No signage.  You can't see it from Dodge OR the Hwy (30, I think?).  It's hidden behind a Menards, Jimmy John and Arby's.  

Did anyone ever see any ads for it?  If not for two articles in the OWH and this forum, I would never have known it existed.

PLUS, it was in the middle of BFE.  And no, just because a couple of you might live within 4 miles doesn't make it NOT in the middle of BFE.  Elkhorn has some nice homes and a great school district, but by and large that isn't a demographic that's going to pay $25/hr per lane to bowl.

Honestly, I think this would have gone over well near Crossroads.
Stable genius.
annad
Home Owners Association

Post by annad »

West Lanes Bowl + Family Fun Center = Thunder Alley  ??
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Big E wrote:
omahastylee459 wrote:
worse location.
Really?
Yes.

No signage.  You can't see it from Dodge OR the Hwy (30, I think?).  It's hidden behind a Menards, Jimmy John and Arby's.  

Did anyone ever see any ads for it?  If not for two articles in the OWH and this forum, I would never have known it existed.

PLUS, it was in the middle of BFE.  And no, just because a couple of you might live within 4 miles doesn't make it NOT in the middle of BFE.  Elkhorn has some nice homes and a great school district, but by and large that isn't a demographic that's going to pay $25/hr per lane to bowl.

In one form or another it would have been cool at Aksarben.  For what it's worth, it might have been a good fit where the walmart is going in south of pacific on 72nd.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

NovakOmaha wrote:In one form or another it would have been cool at Aksarben.  For what it's worth, it might have been a good fit where the walmart is going in south of pacific on 72nd.
I'd buy that, too.  Anywhere along that corridor where there's...  y'know.... people.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

They probably would have been better off making sure they closed and dismantled there old location. Their entire customer base stayed behind at the old bowling alley.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

How many of you have actually been there that are condemning the location?  I have not and i stated that, but I have talked to plenty that have and people in the place are not the entire issues.  From the post from the newguy too it sounds like enough people could find the place.  Management issues can kill a place fast.

I agree the old location should have probably been taken out of commission.  I understand that the old location is full up on leagues.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anyone I know that went there said the place was always busy and everyone had a great time.

Sounds like bad management to me.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Brad wrote:Anyone I know that went there said the place was always busy and everyone had a great time.

Sounds like bad management to me.
I heard about the same with the exception of the food. Personally, I did not enjoy the food much either.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

In my opinion that was the nicest bowling alley in the city. I didn't feel like I was at a truck stop.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

I can hope that someone else comes up with a viable business plan and buys/reopens this.  That's a ridiculous investment to tear down or let sit empty.   And as people have mentioned - if this was run reasonably well, it could make a lot of money....
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Must have been the poor snow removal and chuckholes that did 'em in....being in Omaha now. J/K

But I hope somebody is able to re-open it soon. Not that I knew it existed.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I never understood the business plan for a place like this.  It just didn't make a lick of sense to me.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

For what it's worth in the "it was sudden" department.

My wife works with a person that had a neighbor that was hired there on Friday, completed the paperwork needed, and when they showed up for their first day of work on Monday found the signs that said they were closed.  Guess at lest some in management didn't know if the pending plans.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I can see this place coming back in the Fall.  Location is solid for what they are trying to do.  It's really not just a bowling alley.  It was big on the games, sports bar, and food.  I know a lot of West O/Elkhorn birthday parties where there.  Sounds like if they redo upper management they can make a go of it.  They did advertise out west.  We live near 156th and Fort and got plenty of advertising from them.

Greg
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

thenewguy wrote:I hear it was the only PBA sanctioned lane in the area.
I don't believe that's true, the Thunderbowl in C.B. has hosted a couple PBA events in the last 4-5 years.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

icejammer wrote:
I don't believe that's true, the Thunderbowl in C.B. has hosted a couple PBA events in the last 4-5 years.
2008 NCAA Woman's bowling championship @ Thunder Alley
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

icejammer wrote:

I know they had, but since thunder alley opened (which had some of the same people involved in it), they decided to use thunder alley instead of thunder bowl...or so i was told by a person that worked there.  They could be mistaken, though.
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

from what I have heard from one source that is in the know this gentleman - Ted Baer, seems to be  the big problem at this alley.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

nativeomahan wrote:I never understood the business plan for a place like this.  It just didn't make a lick of sense to me.

What's not to understand about it? I'm a bowler...for the most part, bowling alleys are dumps. The "new" bowling alleys are trying to attract families and create a family environment. If done correctly, these places can do very well. Not knowing all the numbers, the figures I heard to open this place was a huge figure to get out from under. Also, if you are going to restructure yourself and possibly re-open, you didn't do yourself any favors from the little media circus you created.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Murz wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:I never understood the business plan for a place like this.  It just didn't make a lick of sense to me.

What's not to understand about it? I'm a bowler...for the most part, bowling alleys are dumps. The "new" bowling alleys are trying to attract families and create a family environment. If done correctly, these places can do very well. Not knowing all the numbers, the figures I heard to open this place was a huge figure to get out from under. Also, if you are going to restructure yourself and possibly re-open, you didn't do yourself any favors from the little media circus you created.
I get the business, but I did NOT get the plan. Obviously business plans include extensive market analysis, and they did not do due diligence by allowing the old bowling alley to remain open with their entire client(league) base.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:
Murz wrote:

I get the business, but I did NOT get the plan. Obviously business plans include extensive market analysis, and they did not do due diligence by allowing the old bowling alley to remain open with their entire client(league) base.

read all that has been written and I think the general consensus by those that have been there is that the amount of business, or at least perceived amount, is not the issue here.  Granted the old ally doesn't help but I do not gather that it is the make or break issue.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

S33 wrote:
Murz wrote:

You are absolutely correct. If you investing that amount, you better do all the above. Whether it was customers, management, or something else, who cares...there closed. Hopefully, someone will come along and have better success.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

nebugeater wrote:
S33 wrote:
Murz wrote:

read all that has been written and I think the general consensus by those that have been there is that the amount of business, or at least perceived amount, is not the issue here.  Granted the old ally doesn't help but I do not gather that it is the make or break issue.
If it wasn't that then I don't know what it was. They did quite a bit of advertising (especially when they were first opening) and was still not enough.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

nebugeater wrote:
S33 wrote:
Murz wrote:

Please don't take customers advice on whether a business is busy enough to turn a profit. My friend owns a moderate sized bowling alley and spends close to $150k/year just for parts to keep the lanes running. Plus a mechanic or two who specialize in bowling equipment. They could be full from morning to night, but if you can't beat the overheads, your done. If your starting 10Million in the hole...you better know what you are doing, do it well and be spectacular.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

S33 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
S33 wrote:
Murz wrote:

If it wasn't that then I don't know what it was. They did quite a bit of advertising (especially when they were first opening) and was still not enough.

Mismanagement can destroy the most successful business.  There are many examples.  If you don't what to see that as an option that is fine.