Menards Subdivision (NWC 204th & West Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I have no problem agreeing with that, but they were previously successful. Granted, it was a slightly different business, but they certainly weren't rookies i wouldn't think.

Either way, I'm sure someone will open it back up and we will find out what caused them to close initially.
nebugeater
City Council

Elkhorn bowling alley ablaze

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the bowling scene in Elkorn took another hit last night.  It looks like this was pretty sever.  Will be interesting to see what happens to the "old" bowling alley after this fire since it was the one still open.

From the OWH
Elkhorn bowling alley ablaze
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100107/NEWS01/100109786

Wayne Lewis, a night clerk at an Elkhorn-area Kwik Shop near 204th and Maple Streets, walked outside and paused.

Instead of the cold quiet of an early winter morning, he looked north at the bowling alley that had been there since 1964 and saw fire.

"I took the trash out and saw the flames coming through the door there," Lewis said, motioning toward the plumes of smoke where firefighters struggled an hour later to contain the blaze.

The building that housed Sempeck's Elkhorn Lanes, 3202 N. 204th St., was barely visible as an Omaha Fire Department ladder truck poured water onto it. But smoke and steam could be seen a mile away from the two-alarm fire.
It was too soon to tell this morning whether the bowling alley would be lost, but there seemed to be little reason for optimism. Fire had engulfed much of the building, possibly depriving Elkhorn-area residents of another local bowling spot. Alley owner Steve Sempeck had been a partner in the group that started the Elkhorn area's much larger -- but now closed -- Thunder Alley bowling complex.

From KETV
http://www.ketv.com/news/22169444/detail.html#

Firefighters said they’ve had to deal with the fire in the worst conditions they’ve ever faced. Temperatures were in the single-digits and the wind chill was hovering around -20. Ice was also a major issue in fighting the blaze.

As of 6 a.m. crews were still on the scene and flames could be seen coming from the bowling alley.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

May be they can take their insurance money and get a good deal on Thunder Alley from the bank.
where the corn meets the concrete
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

That's what makes me suspicious about this fire.  The owner looked rather smug during the news interview.  My father-in-law is a firefighter and said this kind of weather is great for those looking to collect insurance money due to fire.  Its a real challenge for the firefighters.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's too bad, because it was decent "Small Town" bowling alley.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bargainhunter wrote:That's what makes me suspicious about this fire.  The owner looked rather smug during the news interview.  My father-in-law is a firefighter and said this kind of weather is great for those looking to collect insurance money due to fire.  Its a real challenge for the firefighters.

Don't know what you saw that I didn't but that was as far from my mind as any fire.  In talking to someone who worked there too, while nothing is imposable, this is a long ways off from being suspicious in my guessing.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Any old building that has a kitchen, not to mention a whole bowling alley with all the machinery, has a better chance of catching fire than a lot of buildings.   I agree, it will be a loss for the Elkhorn community.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You don't normally hear talk of the arson investigator getting involved the same night a fire occurs... I don't think we're the only ones thinking how convenient the situation appears to be for the owners... although I also heard them proclaim that they'd rebuild on the same location.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I dont think it was an arson... also Sempeck had a real falling out with one of the other people that started Thunder Alley.. ended up being nasty lawsuit.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bowling alley plans to reopen

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100210/N ... 6/-1/MONEY
The owners of an Elkhorn-area bowling alley wrecked by fire in January will announce plans later today to reopen.

Sempeck's Elkhorn Lanes, 3202 N. 204th St., burned in a two-alarm blaze in the early morning hours of Jan. 7.

The reopening announcement will take place at 2:30 p.m. at the Thunder Alley facility, 20902 Cumberland Drive, according to an e-mail from Steve Sempeck, the owner of Elkhorn Lanes.

Sempeck was a former partner in Thunder Alley, a prominent Elkhorn bowling and entertainment center that closed unexpectedly in June.
Brad
City Council

Elkhorn Lanes rolling south

Post by Brad »

Elkhorn Lanes rolling south

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100211/NEWS01/702119866
Chip Olsen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Elkhorn Lanes, 3202 N. 204th St., was gutted in a two-alarm fire Jan. 7. The Pirruccellos were devastated when they learned the news.

However, owners Steve and Lori Sempeck said Wednesday they would relocate their business about a mile south to the former Thunder Alley, 20902 Cumberland Drive.

The Sempecks plan to open Feb. 18 and rename the 40-lane bowling center Sempeck Bowling and Entertainment.
Chip Olsen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Sempecks plan to hire additional employees. The new spot also will have all the amenities that Thunder Alley featured, including go-karts, laser tag, a restaurant and arcade.

It’s a new home for an old business.

“It won’t replace the atmosphere of Elkhorn Lanes,” Lori Sempeck said. “But we’ll make new memories up here.”
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

windsor wrote:May be they can take their insurance money and get a good deal on Thunder Alley from the bank.
Windsor called it.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Sounds very suspicious...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

what's suspicious?  From what I heard from a good source Sempeck and one his former partners in the thunder alley did not get along which lead to the break up in the first part. There was a even a big lawsuit going on at one time between the two.
Persp73
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Persp73 »

Bankruptcies, Feb. 12

Husker Bowl, L.L.C., 20902 Cumberland Drive, Elkhorn, Neb., 68022, Chapter 11.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

almighty_tuna wrote:
windsor wrote:May be they can take their insurance money and get a good deal on Thunder Alley from the bank.
Windsor called it.
Just stating the obvious.  I have seen a lot of TV commercials for the new place.  Has anyone been in there yet?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

windsor wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
Windsor called it.
Just stating the obvious.  I have seen a lot of TV commercials for the new place.  Has anyone been in there yet?
Stopped in for 15 - 30 Min last Fri night just to see how it was going and to check on some prices for a kids party.  I had never been under the old operation.  It was busy.  The bar / grill was about 3/4 full.  This was about 9:00 PM.  The bowling lanes where nearly all in use, maybe 4 or 5 open and there are a lot.  The go carts were running not sure how busy to gage them.  The laser tag had a waiting line.  Overall I though the place seemed to be busy.  I was amazed at the size having never been in before.  Parking was plenty with open spots scattered but the lot was the first indication that the place was hopping.  The pro shop was not open yet and it looked like they were doing a little remodel in that area and there was a bit yet to do.  

I will go back.  Hope they can make a go of it.

The old location that burned is cleaned up and hardly any evidence of the fire remains.  The old bus that had fire damage is sitting near the new place and I assume that it is going to be reworked as the damage does not look too bad.
Last edited by nebugeater on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

windsor wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
Windsor called it.
I have heard that they have entered into a multi year lease for the property from the bankruptcy court and have not purchased the property.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Thanks for you update.  I hope they have great success.
BC johns
New to the Neighborhood

204th and West Dodge

Post by BC johns »

They are grading the land between Menard's and JJ's. Anyone know what they are building there?
frank
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frank »

Looks like that lot was purchased by US Bank is 2009.

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/Dou ... 1739441010
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New NP Dodge Office at 204th and Dodge.

Manarin Investment

Uffda
County Board

Re: Thunder Alley - 204th & Dodge

Post by Uffda »

Saw this posted on FB

the Sempeck's are no longer associated in any way with Sempeck's Bowling and Entertainment.
BPHusker
Home Owners Association

Post by BPHusker »

Uffda wrote:Saw this posted on FB

the Sempeck's are no longer associated in any way with Sempeck's Bowling and Entertainment.
I wonder what the story is here...?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

so who is then?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

George Overfield Jr. and Ted Baer.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Re: Menard's & Thunder Bowl (204th and West Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

Menard's is going to build their own Hardee's on their 205th St property.
How often do 'superstores' build their own fast food places?
Does Walmart own/manage the Subways/Burger Kings in their stores or rent out that space?
NFM rent out that See's chocolate stand?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Menard's is going to build their own Hardee's on their 205th St property.
Does Walmart own/manage the Subways/Burger Kings in their stores or rent out that space?

Wow, someone must really like hardee's... its not like there is a lack of Fast Food on that corner. BK, JJ, Arby's anbd soone to be a DQ. Subway, Great Wall, and Sam and Louies are only another block or two away.

Usually lease them space. I know the NFM leases the subway to a local franchise operator, but I am not sure about the candy place.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Menard's is going to build their own Hardee's on their 205th St property.

I am sure that Walmart leases the space. I say that because there are occasions where the space changes hands and a new brand shows up.

That along with the fact that the people service samples in Walmart / Sams aren't always direct employees but independent contractors.
schumatt
Home Owners Association

Post by schumatt »

Coyote wrote:NFM rent out that See's chocolate stand?
See's is a Berkshire-Hathaway company, so it's more of a cross-promotion type thing.

Very interesting that Menards would be building the Hardee's. But, hey, more power to 'em. And, I work just a couple miles from that location, so I might stop by for some cinnamon raisin biscuits from time to time. Score!
BC johns
New to the Neighborhood

Re: 204th and West Dodge

Post by BC johns »

What are they Building just West of Menards and Sempecks?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BC johns wrote:What are they Building just West of Menards and Sempecks?
Don't have time to check where you are talking about, but I posted a week ago about Menard's building a Hardee's...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
BC johns wrote:What are they Building just West of Menards and Sempecks?
Don't have time to check where you are talking about, but I posted a week ago about Menard's building a Hardee's...
They are moving a ton of dirt west of Menards.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Oh, you mean the Crestline development?
Everything basically South East of 210th and Cumberland Drive?
20 acres, 6 lots for commercial development, one outlot for drainage.
Truck Rentals, Crestline Storage Facility, warehousing and distribution...
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

Menards certainly appears to branch out, or diversify a bit. Good for them. I notice whenever I drive by a newly built Menards, they are always leasing land around the property in which they built their store on. They seem to already be more into land development/commercial real estate than their rivals, lowes, home depot, etc.

I'm surprised a hardee's is their store of choice. I live in that area and wish there was a Taco Bell around there.... It's the only part of city that doesn't have one within a 4-5 mile reach.
BC johns
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BC johns »

I was told by staff that the new name will be "The Mark"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is this the same as Extreme Entertainment, with whatever bar to the east?
bfcmoose
New to the Neighborhood

204th & Dodge

Post by bfcmoose »

They have staked the lot between Jimmy John's and Burger King. Anyone know what it is going to be?
Somedude
New to the Neighborhood

Re: 204th & West Dodge

Post by Somedude »

bfcmoose wrote:They have staked the lot between Jimmy John's and Burger King. Anyone know what it is going to be?

It another restaurant - I think it's a taco johns.
Coyote
City Council

Re: 204th & West Dodge

Post by Coyote »

Lot is owned by Simmonds, which operates Burger King, Taco John’s and Jimmy John’s locations in town.