Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

Post by RockHarbor »

They just added darker gray/brown paint to all the structures. It was once kinda bland in color, I thought, but now it looks so very sharp, imo. I couldn't be happier.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Happened across new sculpture in traffic circle.

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Stargazer wrote:Happened across new sculpture in traffic circle.
:? Ugh, maybe I don't get the point of public art. I understand this is derived from the railroad history of the site, but this doesn't strike me as something nice to look at. So then, what is the point of this?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Personally, I like it... I do draw the line at 'Edward Scissorhands'.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Busguy2010 wrote:
:? Ugh, maybe I don't get the point of public art. I understand this is derived from the railroad history of the site, but this doesn't strike me as something nice to look at. So then, what is the point of this?
Those look more like those square nails https://img.houseofantiquehardware.com/ ... N-CD6X.jpg more than railroad spikes - which would have a longer edge on one side to hold down a rail piece.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Busguy2010 wrote:
I like it too. Add in a fountain or something and you'd really have my attention haha
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not a huge fan of the sculptures but at least there is landscaping and grass on a roundabout in Omaha. I wish they would do this for every one of them.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I like it. Kinda breaks up the monotony.

Are those string lights in the trees?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I like it too.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

That so called piece of artwork is craptacular. In fact the whole Millard Lumberyard District itself is craptacular. A fine piece of artwork like that belongs at a rest area off I-80 in the middle of Nebraska where not to many people ever have to see it. :yes:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

That's our grandpaa.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love that new sculpture!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I see that the Millard Roadhouse is for sale. $1.65m
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 am I see that the Millard Roadhouse is for sale. $1.65m
Wow. That place has been there forever.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Louie wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 pm
Coyote wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:31 am I see that the Millard Roadhouse is for sale. $1.65m
Wow. That place has been there forever.
Wow that's a landmark. I hope whomever buys it puts something nice in there.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I went there a few months back and noticed that they were buying a lower quality of chicken then they previously had used. Since I have always said the only thing worth eating at the Millard Roadhouse was the chicken I suddenly found that there was absolutely no reason to go there now what so ever. Nobody goes there anymore except the old and senile who don't know good food from slop.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Can you all tell I am trying to update the apartment list on this site?

So who is up to speed on The Lumber Yard District? Phase 1 was 92 units and the total was to be 346 units.
The pool and fitness center opened July & August of 2017 so Phase 1 looks complete at 92 units.

Did they go all in and complete the remaining 254 apartments already or are they continuing construction in phases?
These phased developments are difficult to track. :(
Lumberyard District Website Facebook

Update ... never mind google street view answered this one I am calling them done. :)

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wing stop going in here.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 am I went there a few months back and noticed that they were buying a lower quality of chicken then they previously had used. Since I have always said the only thing worth eating at the Millard Roadhouse was the chicken I suddenly found that there was absolutely no reason to go there now what so ever. Nobody goes there anymore except the old and senile who don't know good food from slop.

Are you the one on the right or the left?

TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

NovakOmaha wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:37 pm
GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 am I went there a few months back and noticed that they were buying a lower quality of chicken then they previously had used. Since I have always said the only thing worth eating at the Millard Roadhouse was the chicken I suddenly found that there was absolutely no reason to go there now what so ever. Nobody goes there anymore except the old and senile who don't know good food from slop.

Are you the one on the right or the left?

That's insulting to Statler and Waldorf.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We used to love the Roadhouse. Good food at good prices, and always friendly service. But since they remodeled (which looks nicer), it does seem that the food has been “dumbed down”, at least in quality. And since I quit eating fried food there really are very few healthier options on their menu for me to eat.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Millard Roadhouse is closing per their Facebook page.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It was only a matter of time...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

While they spruced the interior up in recent years, I think the food isn’t anywhere near as good as it used to be. Still, this is sad news.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Millard needs to have the old part of the city rebooted. This leaves Popeyes chicken as the only restaurant in that neighborhood. Sad.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm Millard needs to have the old part of the city rebooted. This leaves Popeyes chicken as the only restaurant in that neighborhood. Sad.
Did Local close? It was located across the street from the Roadhouse last time I drove by.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 am
bigredmed1 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm Millard needs to have the old part of the city rebooted. This leaves Popeyes chicken as the only restaurant in that neighborhood. Sad.
Did Local close? It was located across the street from the Roadhouse last time I drove by.
It's still open
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 am
You are correct. I just think of it as a bar. My mistake. Still that only leaves two. And one is Popeye's. The other is a bar...
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Your idea of only 2 restaurants in the neighborhood is a bit odd to me. There are many restaurants, all within walking distance to Millard Roadhouse. They may not be in the same "neighborhood" but they are easily walkable.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Other than Dunkin‘ Donuts I’m drawing a blank on any others.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

All the hype and hoopla about how they were going to make Downtown Millard great again might just of been nothing more then smoke & mirrors to hide what they were really doing which is building hundreds of apartments. Worse case scenario this little area might even become a ghetto in 20 years but who knows I won't be here to see it.
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

North of L : Wendy's and McDonalds. (If Popeyes counts as a restaurant, then they count).
South of L, West of Millard ave : Sgt Peffers, Corner Kick, Valentinos
South of L, East of Millard ave : Brick Street, China Bistro, McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell, Freddy's, Shirley's Diner, Runza, Dairy Queen, Ya Hala

But bro, those aren't walkable. Uhhhh, yeah, they are.
But bro, those aren't in the same neighborhood. Okay, then define "neighborhood".
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:43 pm All the hype and hoopla about how they were going to make Downtown Millard great again might just of been nothing more then smoke & mirrors to hide what they were really doing which is building hundreds of apartments.
You posted this same thing in 2015. You were correct then, and still correct now.

West Farms is going to be a letdown.
132nd and Pacific is a letdown.

Aksarben is turning out pretty good...took a LONG time though.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

ScrattyB wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:47 pm North of L : Wendy's and McDonalds. (If Popeyes counts as a restaurant, then they count).
South of L, West of Millard ave : Sgt Peffers, Corner Kick, Valentinos
South of L, East of Millard ave : Brick Street, China Bistro, McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell, Freddy's, Shirley's Diner, Runza, Dairy Queen, Ya Hala

But bro, those aren't walkable. Uhhhh, yeah, they are.
But bro, those aren't in the same neighborhood. Okay, then define "neighborhood".
I was defining Millard as its classic axis, Millard Ave. Also, Millard normally starts at the Papio creek and goes northeast to L street. There are other places in larger Millard, but the goal was to build up the old shopping area and that seems to have come a cropper.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just across Q St. from the Lumberyard District is this:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Which soon may become:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (155.29 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (194.79 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Which would look nice at that location.. Alleviating an eyesore...

CiaoLiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I've always felt that "nails" artwork was a good, well intentioned, creative idea for the revamped "Lumberyard District" development, but it's also almost too fitting and maybe was too easy to come up with, that it feels almost borderline "cheesy" to me. I'm not criticizing it, or anything, as art is always objective. But, if I lived there, it would personally be bugged by it. I almost think having "Lumberyard District" largely written in wood, looking a little tough & rough, with steel brackets and nails, set on that lawn, would look better -- or something. Or, maybe the "nail" sculpture artwork was correct thinking, but the current sculpture looks too much like big, heavy, railroad spikes -- which don't make you think of lumber. Anyways....

I think you have to be careful of art sculptures that duplicate an everyday object larger-than-life, an object that is normally much smaller (almost making one feel on the set of "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids").

For example, a big giant dice might be cool to set somewhere. Mexico City has a cool "hand of cards" bench/sculpture I really like, which contrasts well with the hanging palm fronds in the area. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/73/28 ... 2e486e.jpg

Yet, Denver's new art museum has that large broom & dust pan that I don't feel 100% works. It kinda seems dumb to me. https://www.colorado.com/sites/default/ ... Rob%21.jpg (It almost feels like Denver looked at Minneapolis's "Spoon & Cherry" sculpture, and Kansas City's badminton shuttlecocks, and thought: "Hmmm. What can we feature giant size? How about a broom & dustpan!!" It doesn't feel like it has real meaning behind it, to me, or something -- like it isn't spirited. It doesn't feel inspirational to me.)

Of course, I feel Minneapolis' "Spoon & Cherry" sculpture works great. It feels like it fits the sparkling Minnesota city somehow, imo. https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media ... bridge.jpg I'm trying to understand why. I'll likely put my finger on it, eventually, if I give it enough thought. I'm thinking maybe because a cherry has a shine to it, and is often a delightful last touch on something -- sundaes, cheesecakes, and even sparkling beverages. There is something "!!!!" about the last touch of a cherry. Maybe it slightly gives the cosmopolitan feeling of a great "night on the town", one that involves a great dessert, or something. I don't know, but that sculpture was a brilliant idea for Minneapolis, imo.

I also like the Kansas City Art Museum's jumbo-size, twin, badminton shuttlecocks, set at a leaning angles, out on their large lawn. https://live.staticflickr.com/8285/7730 ... 22c1_b.jpg There is something about those two that are so striking to me. It can give me goosebumps even.

Sometimes, something like that just works. Sometimes, it just doesn't. Although there are always criticizers around, I think if the sculpture generally gives an exciting feeling, or burst of inspiration, within most people, it works. If it gives most people a negative feeling like it is "dumb & silly" if it doesn't quite work, imo.

Art is always so interesting.