Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

nativeomahan wrote:Almost like Millard's version of MTC or Aksarben Village.
I think the apartments will go over great but I would predict that those little shops are going to be money pits for the business owners.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Gosh, it is going up so fast. Talk about speedy construction. I'm glad to see Millard get more dense. Something in that area just needed to change. Between this development, the new lots for sale near the Lucent/AT&T (on 132nd), and restaurants remodeled in the area, the area is finally looking less shabby. I still don't like Millard Plaza, though.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

RockHarbor wrote:Gosh, it is going up so fast. Talk about speedy construction. I'm glad to see Millard get more dense. Something in that area just needed to change. Between this development, the new lots for sale near the Lucent/AT&T (on 132nd), and restaurants remodeled in the area, the area is finally looking less shabby. I still don't like Millard Plaza, though.

Every kid and ding a ling within 50 miles loves the Pizza Machine in Millard Plaza :lol: That place is a making a killing!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

RockHarbor wrote:I'm glad to see Millard get more dense. Something in that area just needed to change.
With only 350 new apartments, I don't think it will change much. I really hope it does though. It would be cool if they could extend it northwest to L street. It would be neat if some of the other commercial buildings in the immediate vicinity were torn down and rebuilt. Also if they could get a bike path there from the West Papio Trail.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I'm glad to see Millard get more dense. Something in that area just needed to change.
With only 350 new apartments, I don't think it will change much. I really hope it does though. It would be cool if they could extend it northwest to L street. It would be neat if some of the other commercial buildings in the immediate vicinity were torn down and rebuilt. Also if they could get a bike path there from the West Papio Trail.
There's the old Millard Refrigeration building.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Yeah, I mean, sometimes I like when you go into 70's areas of town, and buildings are a little tacky & funky & shabby around you, with less expensive leasing space, but Millard's still not even quite that in a cool way, imo. So, remodeling & rebuilding & updating is best in that area of town, I think. I agree. I think I looked at it all too many years as a kid (growing up there), so I almost can't stand looking at that area of town anymore. And, anymore, it all almost feels like a "keno & beer & cigarettes" suburban area of town to me -- or something. Nothing against that, or people who like that kind of atmosphere, but that is not my cup of tea. It was nicer as a kid, and Millard seemed so the "place to be" to raise a family & stuff. I'm not sure it is looked at like that as much anymore. Hopefully, this new project really starts to change all that, and turn all that around. I think it will look really nice.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RockHarbor wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Yeah, I mean, sometimes I like when you go into 70's areas of town, and buildings are a little tacky & funky & shabby around you, with less expensive leasing space, but Millard's still not even quite that in a cool way, imo. So, remodeling & rebuilding & updating is best in that area of town, I think. I agree. I think I looked at it all too many years as a kid (growing up there), so I almost can't stand looking at that area of town anymore. And, anymore, it all almost feels like a "keno & beer & cigarettes" suburban area of town to me -- or something. Nothing against that, or people who like that kind of atmosphere, but that is not my cup of tea. It was nicer as a kid, and Millard seemed so the "place to be" to raise a family & stuff. I'm not sure it is looked at like that as much anymore. Hopefully, this new project really starts to change all that, and turn all that around. I think it will look really nice.
The stuff surrounding the new development is from before the 60's. It was tacky in the 70's. The funeral home that turned into an AA/NA hang out brought the nearly sober into an area that was originally populated by retired farmers and their widows. Once that generation made its way to Voss Mohr, it never rebounded because Millard had ceased to be a little town and had become the burbs. The area east by the middle school was newer but for the declasse' working classes. Those who were in that class in the 70's moved south of Millard into CSI ghettos because east Millard hadn't turned over yet and Millard Public Schools had let Norris go to seed. The upper middle classes moved to Harvey Oaks and other places north and west. These areas formed the start of the Millard North areas. All leaving old Millard to fade away.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

bigredmed wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
The stuff surrounding the new development is from before the 60's. It was tacky in the 70's. The funeral home that turned into an AA/NA hang out brought the nearly sober into an area that was originally populated by retired farmers and their widows. Once that generation made its way to Voss Mohr, it never rebounded because Millard had ceased to be a little town and had become the burbs. The area east by the middle school was newer but for the declasse' working classes. Those who were in that class in the 70's moved south of Millard into CSI ghettos because east Millard hadn't turned over yet and Millard Public Schools had let Norris go to seed. The upper middle classes moved to Harvey Oaks and other places north and west. These areas formed the start of the Millard North areas. All leaving old Millard to fade away.
CSI ghettos?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

RNcyanide wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
CSI ghettos?
I'm guessing he means all the cheaply built houses bounded between Harrison and "Q" from 132nd to 144th. I think back at that time if you were dead broke and not making squat you could get into those houses for $150 month. I dont think he meant like a real "Ghetto" as much as CSI ghetto was more of a term of endearment! :lo
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Oh of course, I meant to see if my neighborhood was one of them lol

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Used to work for Millard Lumber and was constantly amazed at how CSI could turn $25,000 in perfectly good lumber into a $85,000 |expletive| shack. The houses weren't even built by real carpenters. Just made me sad to see Millard slide a bit with these subdivisions. Then slide more when they built all the strip malls and let old Millard and the schools slide.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Interesting. I didn't realize all these details about Millard. And, you're right, the suburbs started enveloping Millard in the 60's, not 70's, so some of those buildings do date back that far.

And, nothing against those "cheapy" neighborhoods in Millard, filled with split-entry houses, because my childhood was spent in one of them (one with some of the smallest houses, in fact), and there were plenty of happy times and nice people. All in all, those neighborhoods are still decent-looking, although not as nice-looking as when I was a kid (as the houses were a lot younger, of course).

Not to be negative, but something just feels "all wrong" about Millard to me, and I can't put my finger on what it is. I just don't think it really came together good, and that area of town is not pleasing and satisfying to me -- in any way. Maybe it comes down that unsightly, large Millard Plaza? Maybe it comes down to businesses being strangely offset off the diagonal Millard Avenue? Maybe it comes down to the fact that there are no major N-S traffic arteries from I-680 to 144th? I don't know.

The area is not classy, it is not charming, and it is not junky/tacky in a cool way either, imo. It is just very blah, imo. I do like how the water tower on the hilltop is a tall, anchoring landmark, though. And, Millard's schools always have been very respect-worthy. (No offense to anybody who may live in Millard. I lived there as a child K-6, and I do care about that area of town. I want to see it look better than it does.)

I just hope it all turns around, and moves in a better direction, and I think this exciting new project is a good start for all that. This project will make a difference in how I feel about the area. I want to look at those units, in fact.

***I think if they remodeled Millard Plaza to look much newer, with gables & peaks & towers, and maybe put continuing "Welcome to Millard!" banners on light poles lining the diagonal Millard Avenue, I would like it much better. In the old town, they could have hanging flower pots & stuff, and that would look great with the Old Millard Roadhouse -- which has so much character in itself. Millard just could look a lot nicer, and charming, and promote an excitement about it.***
Last edited by RockHarbor on Mon May 23, 2016 1:25 am, edited 18 times in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

BTW, does anybody have pictures of suburban Millard when it was new? (I'm not talking the old town. I'm talking the subdivisions built in the 60's, 70's, and 80's.)
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I don't live in Millard but I have a co-worker who lives by the airport and I pick her up a couple of times a week normally so I see the area often.

There are a couple of commercial areas which are starting to look like the so-called Magnificent Mile in LaVista, with very high vacancy rates and just a non-vibe in general. The strip along where the old Bakers was is one of them, and nothing seems to stay in business very long there. Also there's a smaller strip just south of there which has never had much of anything in there. The strip just west of there is filled with storefront churches and such and even the strip to the northwest where they have that donut shop that never seems to be open is looking like it's on life support.

They did get a new Walgreens and CVS a while back and most of the fast food places do seem to be doing well.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Yeah there's an overgrowth of strip malls in that part of town. I'd honestly think it'd be better off having the one where Baker's was razed. Wouldn't be an awful place for a lower density apartment complex, if only the residents didn't mind the planes buzzing overhead.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RockHarbor wrote: ***Post here***
What I would love to see is Millard Avenue cut down to two lanes with a middle turn lane from L/Industrial to around Q Street or so. Widen/refurbish the sidewalks and add some parking. Then, rip out some of the parking lots facing the street along with some of the lovely 70's mess and redevelop them into some apartments, businesses, and offices. Sinclair, Popeye's, Wells Fargo, and the River City Glass lots are all prime lots that could be redeveloped in this way.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Garrett wrote:What I would love to see is Millard Avenue cut down to two lanes with a middle turn lane from L/Industrial to around Q Street or so. Widen/refurbish the sidewalks and add some parking.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, however, this would not work with the existing roads/traffic. Traffic is too busy to allow this. You would have to have a place for the 132nd traffic to go. The lack of through north/south roads is an issue here.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Garrett wrote:What I would love to see is Millard Avenue cut down to two lanes with a middle turn lane from L/Industrial to around Q Street or so. Widen/refurbish the sidewalks and add some parking.
I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, however, this would not work with the existing roads/traffic. Traffic is too busy to allow this. You would have to have a place for the 132nd traffic to go. The lack of through north/south roads is an issue here.
True. That's definitely the downside that would have to be considered. I would widen L street west to 144th, and reconfigure that intersection. Adding on a turn lane on L street onto Oaks lane, if possible, would be helpful too. That would alleviate some of the traffic heading into Central Middle School. As for 132nd itself, since it runs through a neighborhood, widening it might not be palatable.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Garrett wrote:True. That's definitely the downside that would have to be considered. I would widen L street west to 144th, and reconfigure that intersection. Adding on a turn lane on L street onto Oaks lane, if possible, would be helpful too. That would alleviate some of the traffic heading into Central Middle School. As for 132nd itself, since it runs through a neighborhood, widening it might not be palatable.
I know what you mean.

Oaks has a pretty hefty elevation change from L street. And again, that goes right through a neighborhood. I was thinking make Old L into 4 lanes, but then 132nd and L would be a weird 5 road intersection. I don't think there's an easy way to reroute traffic. 132nd street would be ideal, but would require bulldozing a few homes.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Garrett wrote:True. That's definitely the downside that would have to be considered. I would widen L street west to 144th, and reconfigure that intersection. Adding on a turn lane on L street onto Oaks lane, if possible, would be helpful too. That would alleviate some of the traffic heading into Central Middle School. As for 132nd itself, since it runs through a neighborhood, widening it might not be palatable.
I know what you mean.

Oaks has a pretty hefty elevation change from L street. And again, that goes right through a neighborhood. I was thinking make Old L into 4 lanes, but then 132nd and L would be a weird 5 road intersection. I don't think there's an easy way to reroute traffic. 132nd street would be ideal, but would require bulldozing a few homes.
Oaks lane can't be built on without moving the creek that is buried underneath it. The creek that pops out south of Q street starts in the Western Electric mall area and flows through a pipe next to a sewer pipe that flowed to the west Papio. My dad surveyed it. The sewer pipe was large enough for my 6 foot tall dad to walk upright in. The creek pipe is about 4 feet in diameter.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:cry:
RNcyanide wrote:Yeah there's an overgrowth of strip malls in that part of town. I'd honestly think it'd be better off having the one where Baker's was razed. Wouldn't be an awful place for a lower density apartment complex, if only the residents didn't mind the planes buzzing overhead.
I agree, the plaza that used to contain bakers (Deerfield Place) has never been full since it was built.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

daveoma wrote::cry:
RNcyanide wrote:Yeah there's an overgrowth of strip malls in that part of town. I'd honestly think it'd be better off having the one where Baker's was razed. Wouldn't be an awful place for a lower density apartment complex, if only the residents didn't mind the planes buzzing overhead.
I agree, the plaza that used to contain bakers (Deerfield Place) has never been full since it was built.
The residential aspect is regulated by the airport. If you want jets back in there then you can't have apartments in the glidepath that close.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:The residential aspect is regulated by the airport. If you want jets back in there then you can't have apartments in the glidepath that close.
FYI, here is how Close Deerfield is to the Airport.

[EDIT] Ididn't realize how small this was going to be. Red Arrow pointing up is Baker's/Deerdield, Arrow pointing down is the old Millard Lumber.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It is interesting reading everyone's thoughts on Millard.

Deerfield Place: What annoys me, is I like the design of Deerfield Place aesthetically, but they angled it offset along that creek, as it could only fit that way long-wise, so it is not appreciated from 'Q' street that much. So many things in Millard are set at odd angles because of the roads, the creeks, and stuff. As much as deviating from the regular grid can be interesting, like Millard Avenue does, it does make it challenging keeping the cityscape pleasing to the eye, imo.

Remodeling businesses: I do have to say that I do admire some of the refurbished, remodeled businesses along 'Q' between 144th and 138th/Millard Avenue. It does look nicer. Several of the restaurants are remodeled I noticed, and they look nice, too.

Now, what about that Millard Plaza...? Is that EVER going to change? Why can't they just keep the Pizza Machine, and tear down the rest, and build very nice apartments there, or something?

Speaking of new apartments in the Millard area, wow, along with these new urban-style Lumberyard District ones, the new suburban-style apartments going in at 120th & 'Q' are sure sharp. Absolutely love the design. They almost reminds me of Colorado or Jackson Hole style... (I could almost hug the people that designed those. Those are the kind of apartments our suburbia needs, imo. I have to say: Our apartment designs are getting better in this town. They are looking up-to-par with what you see in Denver, Dallas, ect...)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
A Dunkin’ Donuts and an Eat Fit Go store will be among the tenants at the 35,000-square-foot retail and office building to be completed later this summer at the Lumberyard District in Millard.
At about the same time, a new Omaha police precinct is to be ready on the other end of the six-block site, which stretches from Millard Avenue to Q Street between 134th and 135th Streets.

Apartment construction is in full swing. The latest projection is that the first wave of 346 dwellings at the district will be available in early 2017.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

So the "Future Civic Use" next to Walgreens is a new police station?

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yeah, I believe it's mentioned back earlier in this thread. I can't remember if its a new Southwest Precinct (currently at 96th and M) or a new home for the OPD Traffic Unit (currently in the old fire station about 1 block west of the old Millard lumber)
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:So the "Future Civic Use" next to Walgreens is a new police station?

It's the latter.

The Bride
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Hopefully they can tear down the old one, tear down the vacant gas station next to it, and continue developing the area.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I see they are going to put a Dunkin Donuts in here. Thats the only thing I have heard going in here so far that I will drop some coin at. Sure hope those cops being located so close don't mean they will be in that donut shop mooching free or half price donuts all day long though. The Millard RoadHouse gives em half price food so they hammer that place. Ive drove up to the Millard RoadHouse before and there was 7 or 8 cop cars parked in the lot. That makes me keep on going because something about a dozen guys walking around me with 9mil glocks on there belt just kills my relaxation mojo. :rant:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The Southwest precinct will move to that new building.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/after-y ... f0163.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

1. Police Precinct

2. Apartment Building

3. Apartment Building

4. South Side of the mixed use building

5. South Side of the mixed use building
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

11 years in the making, but I like the way it is shaping up.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Brad wrote:Photo Update:
5. South Side of the mixed use building
Dunkin Donuts signage is up and it looks like they are taking that whole left side of the building in that photo. I was hoping for more bars/entertainment, but I guess day time traffic is okay :x I just hope Local gets a big bay, and the rest doesn't fill up with fast food or crappy retail.

Also no updates to the apartment info on their website. It's like they are not even trying to hype it up.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I drove by this the other day. There are actually 4 buildings surrounding the roundabout.

Really disappointed with this "development". It's just a bunch of new apartments, a police station, and a 2 level strip mall on one end.
They updated their website http://www.lumberyarddistrict.com/
Studios, 1 & 2 Bedrooms
from $750 - $1,650
NOW PRE - LEASING

This pdf shows more of the retail in the strip mall: http://files.investorsomaha.com/Propert ... %20Ave.pdf

LOCAL will be next to (across from) Millard Roadhouse.

Hopefully this spurs more development of some of the crappy buildings in the immediate vicinity. There are two closed down gas stations right next to the area.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love how it's coming along, personally. Maybe it feels a tad dull to me overall -- but only a tad (maybe). Overall, I really think it is sharp, and feel it fits nicely into Downtown Millard.

I like the new Dunkin' Donuts going in, and the feel of new urban, street front shops along Millard Avenue. Millard needed a change, some urban density, and a freshening up, imo.

Finally Omaha is getting more of these urban blocks in its core, and out in Benson, and now way out in Millard. And, I'm totally loving it. If fitted into suburban Omaha, they make most sense in an old core, like Millard. I say that because I greatly dislike the fact that they built a flat-roofed, urban-style apartment block near 180th & Center. I like the design itself, I just don't like this "shoe box" plopped there in the midst of shopping centers & new apartments, all ones w/ the typical perky peaks & gables that are characteristic of suburban architecture. It just looks so odd to me, and semi-ruins the aesthetics of that area -- an area that was coming together pretty good, I must say. I could shake my head... (A flat-roofed, boxy design would be more justified inserted into Old Town Millard than at 180th & West Center Road, but even this complex incorporated the long, horizontal Prairie Style-esque rooflines, which are sensitive to suburbia around it.)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From Local Beer, Patio, and Kitchen:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:From Local Beer, Patio, and Kitchen:
image.jpeg
Not to derail the thread but I want to like this place so much but the one in Gretna at Nebr Cross has been a big disappointment the times I have been there. Mostly along the line of the staff services and not the food......if you ever get it or even get your order taken.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!