Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Lumberyard District (Downtown Millard)

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Just looked through this : http://files.investorsomaha.com/Propert ... %20Ave.pdf

It's basically going to be an apartment complex, and office building and another building. The office building with retail on ground level looks just like the building at 144th and F which contains some businesses on the ground floor(Varsity Sports Bar) and some office on the second floor.

Also seems like the apartments wont have a swimming pool or club house?

Nothing really exciting here. Oh well. New development is always nice though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Word has it that a Yin family establishment (aka Hiro88 and that group of restaurants) will be going into this development.... Nice to get something rather upscale in an area that is primarily chain restaurants.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Edit: wrong thread.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Ben wrote:Word has it that a Yin family establishment (aka Hiro88 and that group of restaurants) will be going into this development.... Nice to get something rather upscale in an area that is primarily chain restaurants.
Hopefully not a LOCAL beer patio.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Ben wrote:Word has it that a Yin family establishment (aka Hiro88 and that group of restaurants) will be going into this development.... Nice to get something rather upscale in an area that is primarily chain restaurants.
Yes, they need a nice mid range to upper end place. Millard Roadhouse is OK, most of the places are not only chains, but fast food or junk food mexican. Would like to see a seafood or sushi place go in there.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Question: How come they didn't install some kind of tunnel for the creek adjacent to this development and building over it so they can use it for parking or whatever?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Former Millard lumberyard being transformed into a ‘walkable district’
Cindy Gonzalez - World-Herald staff writer wrote:Lanoha said he is wooing merchants that bring a “hip” and local flair. “Our goal is that walkable district,” he said. “If we set the tone here, we think other folks will come.”
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:Question: How come they didn't install some kind of tunnel for the creek adjacent to this development and building over it so they can use it for parking or whatever?
Having been dealing with tunneled creeks from the 40-50's that are not working so well, I suspect that the city is loathe to approve any more. Besides, that creek actually has some water flowing in it and flows out of a giant parking lot. It will be vastly easier to monitor water quality as a stream. The flowing stream could be stocked with small fish and other aquatic life as a nice feature to the complex.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A few renderings from the paper:
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

bigredmed wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Yes, they need a nice mid range to upper end place. Millard Roadhouse is OK, most of the places are not only chains, but fast food or junk food mexican. Would like to see a seafood or sushi place go in there.
I don't think any of the Yin places are chains.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lumberyard District Apartment Buildings 2, 6, 8 and 9 will be starting soon.
apsteingas
New to the Neighborhood

Post by apsteingas »

The Local Beer Patio & Kitchen (the same restaurant that Omaha has downtown, with owners Charlie and Milton Yin) is going to be a main tenant in this development! This is great news if you like good food and beer AND/OR if you want to see this development do well!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

apsteingas wrote:The Local Beer Patio & Kitchen (the same restaurant that Omaha has downtown, with owners Charlie and Milton Yin) is going to be a main tenant in this development! This is great news if you like good food and beer AND/OR if you want to see this development do well!
That is great news! Just don't bring the grease problem with them, and, that loud tic tac toe like game...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

apsteingas wrote:The Local Beer Patio & Kitchen (the same restaurant that Omaha has downtown, with owners Charlie and Milton Yin) is going to be a main tenant in this development! This is great news if you like good food and beer AND/OR if you want to see this development do well!
I like the Yin restaurants, but I'm hoping they keep the manager Eric far away from this new location. He has done a poor job managing the Local downtown. Cocktails (Moscow Mules!) served in plastic cups, very loud dining room, sluggish employees and mediocre food items.
Are the reheated frozen tots even locally made/sourced?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I need to make a trip out to Millard to see all of these developments. They look like a decent start towards redevelopment of this area.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nativeomahan wrote:I need to make a trip out to Millard to see all of these developments. They look like a decent start towards redevelopment of this area.
Be careful on 135th St. It's closed half of the time, and after all the equipment driving over it, it is pretty tore up.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love this new development, and I'm so happy that Millard is getting this urban-style project. I think Omaha is sprawling enough, that we need to start building some density in aging suburban areas -- like Millard.

I have to say, though, this new project diminishes any hope or dream I had, that they would extend a wide & new portion of 132nd Street through Old Town Millard, so that it connects nicely with 132nd at 'Q.' (It's not that I want to see anybody displaced from their original homes, but it is frustrating sitting at 132nd & 'L' and it being so difficult getting over to the Cabela's/LaVista Conference Center area -- which is straight south of there. One shouldn't have to veer all the way over to 144th Street, and then back-track down Harrison, or go way over to I-80, and have the freeway curve you back west, imo. If you go down 120th street, you're faced with a quiet, windy road -- not suitable for major traffic.)

With the town growing so much to the south now, and 132nd becoming a growth corridor into Sarpy County, I just don't understand the major inconvenience & interruption with simply a half-mile portion of 132nd Street not nicely connected right there, because of old town Millard (which already has a N-S "132nd Street" already, that could be used within paving the connection).

Anyways, this new project juts into where 132nd could nicely connect between 'L' and 'Q', so it looks like Omaha will never do that type of thing. Wouldn't it be so nice to keep easily driving southward down 132nd Street? (Course, another obstacle presents itself at Giles Rd, where I-80, a creek, railroad tracks, and 132nd all come together. If 132nd were ever turned into a major N-S artery, it would be a challenging puzzle to figure that area out. I love engineering puzzles, though.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

The one concern I have here: traffic.

It already sucks in this stretch because Millard way back when had no idea what streets are for. Strange intersections, way too many traffic lights (without turn lanes).

Any one know of the city planning to reroute or improve the layout here?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Getting through Millard to anywhere (as well as getting pretty much from anywhere else into Millard) has always been a mind numbingly slow slog. If it weren't for navigation systems many Omahans would never find their way to addresses in Millard. It's like someone on acid laid out the road system, and gave streets identification names that make no sense.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I don't think they ever imagined Millard becoming as big as it is when it was first laid out. It was just a small town out in the middle of nowhere.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Millard was oriented to align with the U.P. Railroad tracks passing through the area, which happened to be about 45 degrees off of the normal township and square mile grid used to layout most everything else in the state that didn't follow a creek or river. That's part of what makes it confusing to the people who live in the north-south-east-west grid parts of Omaha. I agree it is a pain to get in and out of Millard. That might be one of the things that makes people who live there not want to leave and venture downtown.

Part of Grand Island is laid out on a grid rotated off the normal N-S-E-W orientation too, which is confusing to outsiders.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

^Interesting (about Millard's grid). I always kinda wondered why they put the streets at that angle. Along with Grand Island, some major cities that have downtown streets that angle 45-degrees off the main grid include Denver, Houston, Dallas, Portland, and Minneapolis. It's not necessarily an uncommon thing.

As I mentioned earlier: If they would just connect 132nd St through Millard, and allow just ONE main street through the tangle of streets in & around old Millard there, I feel everybody would be happier. I think it could help more business to thrive in Millard, traffic to flow better, and would help to "open up" that new southland area that is developing (in Sarpy County). 132nd Street goes all the way down to the Platte River.

It just amazes me I'm stopped going southward on busy 132nd at 'L'' in Millard, but then 132nd continues its course and restarts up again on 'Q.' South of 'Q', looks like it is set-up to be widened to 4 lanes + a median through there in the future. It could be this thriving, busy, wide street into the future south suburbs. And, although 144th is the main thoroughfare, it just feels too far west of that developing hotspot around the Werner Stadium (to me).

To the East of there, 108th stops at Giles. 114th doesn't connect north of Giles. But, 96th connects from 'L' to Cornhusker well. So, you have this huge gap between 96th and 144th where no ONE street connects to the city well. Giles Road splits off several places, but continues onward as "Giles Road." So, the streets are kinda confusing down there to me. No wonder that whole odd area has taken so long to develop.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

RockHarbor wrote:^Interesting (about Millard's grid). I always kinda wondered why they put the streets at that angle. Along with Grand Island, some major cities that have downtown streets that angle 45-degrees off the main grid include Denver, Houston, Dallas, Portland, and Minneapolis. It's not necessarily an uncommon thing.
I don't know about the other cities, but in Grand Island's case, the town was originally laid out parallel to the Union Pacific railroad route which followed the Platte River at a South-West to North-East slant. Then, as the town grew, the city planners decided to make the streets align with the cardinal directions.
mknoff
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mknoff »

I'd imagine the streets are at that angle in Millard for the same reason as in Grand Island, to parallel the railroad. That might also be why 132nd doesn't connect at Q, to avoid an unnecessary railroad crossing.

Is it possible they haven't widened 132nd south of Q because of the airport? The city would probably have to install stoplights at 132nd and Discovery Dr which would pose a hazard to landing planes.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

mknoff wrote:I'd imagine the streets are at that angle in Millard for the same reason as in Grand Island, to parallel the railroad. That might also be why 132nd doesn't connect at Q, to avoid an unnecessary railroad crossing.

Is it possible they haven't widened 132nd south of Q because of the airport? The city would probably have to install stoplights at 132nd and Discovery Dr which would pose a hazard to landing planes.
First of: EDSAS: Yes, it seems like a lot of off-the-grid angled downtowns started due to an angling river or creek. I think that is why Denver's downtown is laid out that way, too. I don't mind that...even though I can see why it bothers some. In Denver, the normal E-W-N-S city grid meeting the angling grid downtown, and a skyline built partway on both grids, has caused skyscrapers to stand & face at different angles. So far, it looks fine to me, though. Yet, I would think that would be risky for aesthetics.

MKNOFF: I think you're right... I wondered if the airport played a role driving down 132nd (south of 'Q') once, and considering those runways. But, still....132nd Street is set up to widened, and that is obvious at Harrison, where it is already 4-lanes at the intersection. I just feel it should be pushed through. Omaha is growing so much to the south now.

Note: If you look north of Omaha, it looks like they are going to extend 132nd north to State St. to me. The developments north of Military look like they are awaiting a simple, N-S extension of 132nd St. I have a future map of Omaha and streets, and I need to check that.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I've always just thought that they haven't widened 132nd south of Q because traffic counts have not grown enough to warrant it. It's widened at Harrison because they always widen major intersections when widening one of the legs so they don't have to redo the intersection when they do the cross street at some point in the future.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

My Aunt and Uncle moved out to Millard in the 60's just a few blocks off main st. I guess I have taken Millard's orientation for granted for years, not thinking how others may find it difficult to navigate.

I have old maps of the area, train stops and all... I thought I had already scanned them and posted here in some thread but can't find them.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I've always just thought that they haven't widened 132nd south of Q because traffic counts have not grown enough to warrant it. It's widened at Harrison because they always widen major intersections when widening one of the legs so they don't have to redo the intersection when they do the cross street at some point in the future.
That's what I thought, too, before MKNOFF's remark about the airport -- which made me think more about those runways in the area. Because Millard doesn't exist much further south of there (at this point), I figured the street remained not widened yet, and the intersection being completed was, like you mentioned, simply for future preparation. But still, it shows me the plan is to eventually widen that stretch of 132nd north & south of Harrison. Right?

I just have this "tunnel focus" on 132nd Street now and that half-mile stretch it doesn't connect through Millard (seriously, I'm practically cross-eyed looking at it in "satellite view" in Google Maps). With the new Lumberyard District jutting into the path now, and a new house I noticed just sold on 132nd Street in old Millard, shows me it will never happen, I figure.

Even if they never connect it through Old Millard like I want, it could still become a major N-S artery into the south suburbs. Again, there is an obstacle at Giles, where 132nd, Giles, railroad tracks, a creek, and I-80 all awkwardly meet. That's just a mess. Maybe I have to face 132nd Street will always be a "dud" major street in a way. I hope not. I don't know...

I'm so glad that area is finally coming alive. My childhood was near that area. And, it's nice to see once, quiet rock roads paved and getting busy, and houses and apartments being built, and industrial and office centers being built. I love driving into Omaha from Sapp Brothers, and seeing that area finally transforming. It would be neat to see a wide, major132nd Street there, with even maybe exit ramps, imo.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:I just have this "tunnel focus" on 132nd Street now and that half-mile stretch it doesn't connect through Millard (seriously, I'm practically cross-eyed looking at it in "satellite view" in Google Maps). With the new Lumberyard District jutting into the path now, and a new house I noticed just sold on 132nd Street in old Millard, shows me it will never happen, I figure.
I really doubt they have ever considered connecting 132nd from Q to L. It would create a five or six-legged intersection which would cause other issues. If anything, they'd widen 135th through to Millard Ave - although I don't see that ever happening either.

And I think the plan for 132nd and Giles is to have 132nd connect at two different spots on Giles since I don't think it's really possible to make it straight without redoing the I-80 bridge. There's a thread around here somewhere but I don't feel like looking for it right now since I'm about to go to bed.

But at least they straightened 144th at Millard Ave a few years back or else there would be no direct north-south roads out west until 168th...
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:I just have this "tunnel focus" on 132nd Street now and that half-mile stretch it doesn't connect through Millard (seriously, I'm practically cross-eyed looking at it in "satellite view" in Google Maps). With the new Lumberyard District jutting into the path now, and a new house I noticed just sold on 132nd Street in old Millard, shows me it will never happen, I figure.
I really doubt they have ever considered connecting 132nd from Q to L. It would create a five or six-legged intersection which would cause other issues. If anything, they'd widen 135th through to Millard Ave - although I don't see that ever happening either.

And I think the plan for 132nd and Giles is to have 132nd connect at two different spots on Giles since I don't think it's really possible to make it straight without redoing the I-80 bridge. There's a thread around here somewhere but I don't feel like looking for it right now since I'm about to go to bed.

But at least they straightened 144th at Millard Ave a few years back or else there would be no direct north-south roads out west until 168th...
Yeah, I agree; It would be difficult & complicated to create a straight-through intersection there with 132nd basically sweeping all traffic onto the diagonal Millard Avenue at 'L.' (I was hoping they could maybe get rid of that empty strip plaza building right there, and have some room to maybe reconfigure it all...or something.)

Like you, I did think of that 135th being widened from 132nd and 'Q' to Millard Ave., as sort of an off-set diagonal connection, but I noticed it wasn't shown to be widened in the renderings of this Lumberyard District. So, I felt that option was out, too.

Oh well, I never cared about all this until the city really started growing south of I-80, and that La Vista Conference Center (complete with shopping) was tricky to get to from 132nd & 'L' without some backtracking. I think since we have this great grid in West Omaha, I want & expect things to all connect easily and smoothly. But, that's just not the case in every circumstance.

G'night...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

They've pulled up about a third of the bricks on 135th. There's a huge pile of them next to the tobacco shack

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coming along nicely, thanks for the update photos.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Almost like Millard's version of MTC or Aksarben Village.