Best Buy at Village Point?

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jlocatis
New to the Neighborhood

Best Buy at Village Point?

Post by jlocatis »

Is this true, I read this on your development site, that Best Buy is one of the new planned tenants at Village Point. I haven't read this anywhere else. This would be awesome if so, Omaha could really use a third BB store (especially since the recent loss of Circuit City). Just looking for some clarification.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It is a safe assumption that a Best Buy going in at Village Point ... but there is some question as to whether it will be a move of the Oakview store... which purportedly is being considered too small a location.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

For what it is worth, they've just romodeled the Dodge street store but haven't done anything with the Oakview store. I would be surprised however if they closed it.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

It's not a matter of there being enough business at the Oakview ... the store apparently isn't big enough (this cited by more than one management source at the location)... Best Buy will indeed move, most likely to Village Point.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1043684

An interesting article on VP - a cross between the Old Market/Dundee and Oak view.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yeah, I wouldn't have called it a 'cross' between the Old Market/Dundee and Oakview. I'd just call it an cozier Old Market like -retail/dining- atmosphere. Obviously there is no residential presence in Village Point. When they build a development which integrates in residential living as well (and replace all the surface parking with garage space) ... then we'll really have something.

No doubt though... Village Point provides an appeal far ahead of the garden variety malls/strip retail we've had thus far. Hopefully this will start a trend. To some extent... even the strip retail lining West Center between 168th and 180th is an improvement.

(suppose any street musicians will -drive out- to the suburban lifestyle centers to play?)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Speaking of which - I drove past Legacy Village and Legacy the other day. It appears more is being built around Upstreams parking lot - which the other day looked like there was a football game going on inside - how can that many people fit in that place. What is being developed there and a little further west in Legacy Village? Is
http://www.cormaccompany.com/
developing both sites?
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

From looking at Village Pointe blueprints, Best Buy does own a spot of land out there.

Also a Gamestop is going in out at Village Pointe.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

Checked out Village Point for the first time yesterday. It looks awesome, even cooler I think was the fact that I was one of at least a half dozen other cars that were just driving around checking it out.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think it's going to be fantastic as well... although as I've said before... I'm somewhat concerned about how they're going to handle traffic before 180th opens up (looks like two roads will take traffic there eventually). As far as I can tell... they've only got one left hand turn out of there onto 168th. I've seen quite a backup of just construction workers during the evening rush.

I can't wait to see what kind of atmosphere develops... with a fountain decor plaza... hearthplaces for warming up people on the sidewalk during the cool seasons. The central street... with its diagonal parking... definitely looks to favor the pedestrian. With all these new restaurants... Funny Bone... theatre... I can definitely see alot of people walking from one place to another. All they need is a good bookstore in there.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Yes Davenport or whatever street that is will connect with 180th eventually, it will be after Village Pointe is open though. The spot they are in make it tough for any other entrance/exit points. They are lobbying to put in some traffic lights out on 168th street cause it is killer trying to make a left.

Village Pointe Cinemas will open for the public on the 28th of May (hopefully).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No lights never even crossed my mind (it will be bad enough WITH lights). That intersection absolutely must have lights... if Boystown can get them... Village Pointe should have no problem at all.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

Jeff, maybe you can verify with you Oakview contacts, but word is that Best Buy is also going to be building a store in Council Bluffs, not sure where, but it is supposed to open in August, with the VP store opening in October.
jlocatis
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jlocatis »

Wow, so two new stores? If true...that's awesome
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

None of this confirmed... and what I have heard is... that the Oakview store is relocating to Village Pointe. So really... you're talking just the possibility of 1 new store (in CB).
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

I'm really surprised that they don't have a store up on Maple yet...they have just about every other category-killer there or planning to open soon. I hate having to drive down to the Oakview store (6 miles/15 minutes) and navigating that parking lot & small store...plus the crowds.
sokkerdewd
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Yea during the Holiday season, the Oakview location is just too crazy to deal with.