Official: L Street Marketplace

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cdub wrote:Yes, and it will always look more like a prison than anything else.  I really wish the FBI would have landed somewhere else.
Before I transferred jobs, I worked on Noddle.  Just to be the CPA's we were going to have to have full blown background checks by the FBI.  I am guessing it will NOT fit in with the rest of the development.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

According to a flyer I got i the mail as a result of the Best Buy Rewards Zone mailings the new store at L Street Marketplace  ( 120th & L) will be opening soon.  There is a pre Grand Opening sopping on Friday July 18th from 6-8.  I would guess that they will be open on the weekend but there in no statement for sure in the mailing.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Eyandem
New to the Neighborhood

120th and L Marketplace

Post by Eyandem »

I was just wondering what everyone thought of the "new" marketplace?

With the addition of:

TARGET
BEST BUY
JASON'S DELI ( Can anyone tell me if this place is good I heard it's kind of expensive but good)
SPORTS AUTHORITY
SHOE CARNIVAL
MICHAEL'S
ULTRA - Make-Up store??
and many others soon to be opened

I work at the Target there and get quite a few compliments on the store, but get a few complaints as to the access to the buildings.
annad
Home Owners Association

Re: 120th and L Marketplace

Post by annad »

Eyandem wrote: I was just wondering what everyone thought of the "new" marketplace?

With the addition of:

TARGET
BEST BUY
JASON'S DELI ( Can anyone tell me if this place is good I heard it's kind of expensive but good)
SPORTS AUTHORITY
SHOE CARNIVAL
MICHAEL'S
ULTRA - Make-Up store??
and many others soon to be opened

I work at the Target there and get quite a few compliments on the store, but get a few complaints as to the access to the buildings.
Jason's Deli is awesome.  It's priced in the Panera range, rather than Subway/Jimmy John's, but they have a great salad bar with lots of organic items, good sandwiches, and free soft serve ice cream.  Can't beat it.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Having made my inaugural visit to Best Buy yesterday, I am really surprised how unattractive the center is.  The exterior facades are bland, with none of the stylization that one would expect under our supposedly heightened building design rules.  No courtyards.  No significant landscaping.  Not pedestrian friendly at all.  The Target looks ok, but the other buildings scream 1980s design.  What happened?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

While it could use work and will improve as things get finished up I think the problem is that it doesn't look like most strip centers have tended to look lately.  They didn't attempt to jazz it up by sticking lots of fake |expletive| on it.  They chose a style that is very modern and geometric, based upon the target style.  While its not necessarily the best out there they have done a reasonable job of sticking with that style and the materials are good.  The plaza spaces are among the 'main street' buildings and to the north of those where the center splits.  That area is not yet complete.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

cdub wrote:While it could use work and will improve as things get finished up I think the problem is that it doesn't look like most strip centers have tended to look lately.  They didn't attempt to jazz it up by sticking lots of fake |expletive| on it.  They chose a style that is very modern and geometric, based upon the target style.  While its not necessarily the best out there they have done a reasonable job of sticking with that style and the materials are good.  The plaza spaces are among the 'main street' buildings and to the north of those where the center splits.  That area is not yet complete.
I stand by my comments.  Look at the Best Buy at Shadow Lake, and compare it with the rather ugly one on "L" St.  Shadow Lake was designed 2 years ago.  Apparently the developer here didn't care to improve the stock of shopping centers, and stuck with the bare minimum they could get away with.

The buildings out front are too far from the rest of the center to meld.  No one will walk from the one part to the other.  There are no walkways between the two areas that I noticed.  I thought the whole Omaha by Design concept was to get people out of their cars and walking between shops.  If you walked in a straight line from the Sports Authority west you would have to walk about a mile (!) to visit more than 7 or 8 stores.

I was really unhappy when the developers tore up this beautiful green space to build a mall, and I hoped against hope that at least they would develop something attractive, worth losing all of that green space for.  I am sadly disappointed by what has gone in.  The trees and lawn were much more aesthetically pleasing.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

If you wanted to buy it you could have kept the trees.  As for the connection, the building and improvements that will join the strip to the buildings out front is not there yet, thus the gap.  The architecture issue is and always has been subjective and is very hard to regulate closely but the new code does a pretty fair job.  The original 'theme' for the center was probably better and I'm sure would have pleased the eyes of more people but a) wasnt an option due to legal issues b) was really more about extra decoration that better design and c) would have stood out markedly from Target (not that that in itself is a negative).  

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of not liking this center, or any other, in fact that probably will help improve quality generally over time.  The problem is that most people still dont pay too much attention.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

That whole stretch of development (which began with the ugly WalMart at 132nd & Industrial) was the impetus to making "Omaha By Design" a part of city code.  Alas, this development appears to have been grandfathered in under the old code.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I was in Omaha this weekend and went up to Jason's Deli. Wow, that place is great!! We were there on Friday afternoon and it was packed. I did notice that there are quite a few empty store fronts. Are they filling quickly?
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I agree totally with Native Omaha's post above.  I'd like to know what criteria are used to determine which shopping centers, strip malls and big-box stores get the good design and which don't.  My recent travels around the city tell me that zoning laws regarding design are not uniform throughout Omaha.  It seems like the wealthier parts of town get better design, lighting and landscaping.  Is Omaha By Design up and running yet?  On the subject of landscaping, I'd like to see more shrubs, flowers and stone or brick accent walls  (especially around the parking lot entrances).  I think that good landscaping frames a property and visually makes all the difference.  Throwing down some sod and planting a few trees just doesn't do it.  This needs to happen downtown as well, especially around places like the Holland Center.  I'm sorry, but I don't think concrete planters are good design.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD ARE THEY EVER GOING TO GET "I" ST OPENED BACK UP? IT'S BEEN CLOSED FOR LIKE EIGHT GOD DAMN MONTHS NOW, THIS WHOLE SHOPPING CENTER IS A BIG GOD DAMN CLUSTER |expletive| OF TRAFFIC! |expletive| |expletive| |expletive|

gisbuxfan wrote:I was in Omaha this weekend and went up to Jason's Deli. Wow, that place is great!! We were there on Friday afternoon and it was packed. I did notice that there are quite a few empty store fronts. Are they filling quickly?
LOL, there's a nail salon in one bay, and that's it. Someone is taking a bath on those buildings.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

OK, so there is one more thing going in the L Street Marketplace.  Not in one of the existing store fronts but in a new building across the parking lot from Jason's Deli.  Looks like a typical fast food building but I see no badge yet that declares what it is.  Anyone know?
Hoop
Home Owners Association

Post by Hoop »

Looks like a Panda Express to me....
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Hoop wrote:Looks like a Panda Express to me....

Could be but I am not sure..... The other two panda express locations have had banner signs up for a long time stating that is what was coming.  The locations have also been officially announced.  This is far enough along that I would guess it would follow the same pattern.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

........and the answer is......... Hardee's

Ironic that this was covered on the Grow Omaha Minute today on KFAB.

In the same segment they said that Smash Burger will also be opening in the next couple months in the main portion of the strip mall near the "big" stores.

It was also reported that Qdoba and Noodles & Co will be opening in a building that is just being started.  I believe they said next to Hardee's.

Thanks GROW OMAHA for answering my question, even though you didn't know about it!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:........and the answer is......... Hardee's

Ironic that this was covered on the Grow Omaha Minute today on KFAB.
Jeff Beals wrote:Smashburger, Hardees, Qdoba, Noodles & Company, Japanese restaurant.
Wow, when is the last time someone built a new Hardees?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

It will be nice to have more than just a Wendy's in that area.  There are a lot of fast food options up on 108th but with traffic that is just a touch out of the way.
where the corn meets the concrete
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

windsor wrote:It will be nice to have more than just a Wendy's in that area.  There are a lot of fast food options up on 108th but with traffic that is just a touch out of the way.
You are forgetting about Jason's Deli.  better than any fast food for a little more coin and no  ore time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Grow Omaha Radio Show wrote: Qdoba and Noodles & Company will both occupy a 5,000 sq. ft. building to be constructed at L Street Marketplace (between Jason's Deli and Hardee's) near 120th & L. Construction is expected to start within a couple weeks.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I took my son to Sports Clips a couple of months ago and I swear there were a bunch of empty spots by there. Why on earth would they build another building when there are plenty of open bays in the existing buildings? Was I hallucinating?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ThatGuy wrote:I took my son to Sports Clips a couple of months ago and I swear there were a bunch of empty spots by there. Why on earth would they build another building when there are plenty of open bays in the existing buildings? Was I hallucinating?
They want to be next to each other and will both have corner spots is my best guess.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:I took my son to Sports Clips a couple of months ago and I swear there were a bunch of empty spots by there. Why on earth would they build another building when there are plenty of open bays in the existing buildings? Was I hallucinating?
No your not hallucinating, we were just talking about the same thing.  That little "town center" area is mostly empty.
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

They also just started building something just East of Verizon... looks fairly large - too big to be another fast food place i think... anyone happen to know what's going in?
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

jgomaha wrote:They also just started building something just East of Verizon... looks fairly large - too big to be another fast food place i think... anyone happen to know what's going in?
oops - sorry - missed the Cheddars post over in Dining...  YUM!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

They should also be bringing the street through into the 'main street' area from I st pretty soon if they havent already.  I think that might further help that area by improving access.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

There's a Noodles & Co going in....that may be old news though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote:There's a Noodles & Co going in....that may be old news though.
Yes, Noodles and Qdoba are sharing that building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I did not know it "had been stagnant for nearly two years, and went through a foreclosure and sale in fall 2010. At the end of 2010, it was about 80 percent leased. Already, the developer says, it's up to 85 percent and heading for 90 percent."

Here is the latest

Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

cdub wrote:They should also be bringing the street through into the 'main street' area from I st pretty soon if they havent already.  I think that might further help that area by improving access.
Looking at the map that was just posted, that doesn't appear to be true. Whoever laid out the streets in the marketplace area should be shot...no wonder it went bankrupt right off the bat.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bugeater wrote:
cdub wrote:They should also be bringing the street through into the 'main street' area from I st pretty soon if they havent already.  I think that might further help that area by improving access.
Looking at the map that was just posted, that doesn't appear to be true. Whoever laid out the streets in the marketplace area should be shot...no wonder it went bankrupt right off the bat.
I happened to be out there twice last weekend, they did make the connection to I street from the main street.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Brad wrote:
Bugeater wrote:
I happened to be out there twice last weekend, they did make the connection to I street from the main street.

I don't just make this stuff up.   :o

And without regard to the streets, the bankruptcy had a lot more into it.  Overleveraged and underexperienced.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Okay, well then the map is wrong. And that would be pretty much the first thing they've done right with the streets in that place.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

The reason it hasn't taken off doesn't have to deal with streets.  It has to deal with tenants.  My boyfriend is a Project Manager and goes to lunch meetings for his certification.  There he heard a Project Manager from L Street Marketplace.  Some tenants and potential ones do not like the set up of the buildings.  This is why Qdoba requested their own building as did another restaurant (but I cant remember the name).  These 2 will be at the construction sites east and west of the buildings Jason's Deli is in.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So what's the large establishment on the southeast corner going to be?  I assume it's to be a restaurant.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
snekse
New to the Neighborhood

Post by snekse »

Stargazer wrote:So what's the large establishment on the southeast corner going to be?  I assume it's to be a restaurant.
*bump* was wondering the same thing.  No answers yet?

IS it a Pizza Ranch?  Looks a bit like the one that went up recently in CB.
Gastronomic Fight Club
http://www.gastronomicfightclub.com/

Foodies of Omaha Discussion Board
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FoodiesOfOmaha/
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Stargazer wrote:So what's the large establishment on the southeast corner going to be?  I assume it's to be a restaurant.

I believe you are referring to the culinary abortion known as "Cheddar's".

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10424
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Three national restaurant chains are set to open their doors in the development at 120th and L Streets between now and Oct. 3, helping to bring the marketplace's occupancy to 88 percent.

The first, Noodles & Company, will make its debut Sept. 16. It's the second Omaha location for the Denver-based restaurant, which serves noodles, salads and sandwiches made to order. The other location is near 72nd and Dodge Streets.

Qdoba Mexican Grill, a quick, casual-style chain that specializes in burritos, is set to open its fifth Omaha-area location at L Street on Oct. 1.

Cheddar's Casual Cafe will open its first Omaha location on Oct. 3. The Texas-based restaurant has more than 80 locations, primarily in Southern and Midwestern states. In other cities, the menu ranges from salads and sandwiches to steaks.
The center's owners, Westport Capital Partners, are in negotiations with two other restaurants, each looking to lease 1,800 square feet of space.
Both of those companies would be new to the Omaha market and their addition would push the occupancy rate to about 90 percent, said Cynthia Cisar, vice president and director of retail for the Omaha office of Colliers International.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110913/M ... up-sept-13
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This place really filled out since I had seen it last.
Been There
New to the Neighborhood

Millard Best Buy closing

Post by Been There »

]Now it looks like Best Buy is leaving.  Got word the sale begins immediately with plans to be dark by May 12.