Official: L Street Marketplace

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Books-A-Million started out somewhere in South---great prices,  but they have all the charm of a Wal-Mart.  Their selection is heavy on popular new releases and coffee-table 'picture' books.  They also are big on non-fiction and 'inspirational' stuff.

I've never felt comfortable lingering at one like I would at just about any other book store---it's almost like the stores are designed to get you in and get you out quickly.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Is Logan's Roadhouse a sure thing?  Where have you see this confirmed?   I have been to a few of them and always liked the food and experience.  Been there in N.C. , FL, and Baton Rouge LA.  Very good bread with a quality meal and fun atmosphere.  Probably the closest thing currently in Omaha is Texas Roadhouse, imagine that!
I remember Logan's Roadhouse very distinctly from Birmingham. Very much of a fun place. :)

I didn't think they were spreading this far north. I do vaguely recall one in St Louis as well, though, so they may be heading our way. :)
As in Birmingham Alabama???  If so, when did you live there?
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Anyone else slightly puzzled by the March '08 opening for Target?  I haven't gotten close look inside, but from driving past they've got lights on, and it appears to be fully furnished with shelving, signage, etc.  Why are they going to wait so long to open?  I feel like if they wanted to, they could have that store open quickly, say January - without much of a stretch.  I understand that it takes a lot to train a full store of employees, and stock the shelves, but this feels a bit excessive.  Is it that they don't want to have their 2 stores in the area overlap for too long, and that they've got a lease until a certain date on the 132nd and Center location?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Anyone else slightly puzzled by the March '08 opening for Target?  I haven't gotten close look inside, but from driving past they've got lights on, and it appears to be fully furnished with shelving, signage, etc.  Why are they going to wait so long to open?  I feel like if they wanted to, they could have that store open quickly, say January - without much of a stretch.  I understand that it takes a lot to train a full store of employees, and stock the shelves, but this feels a bit excessive.  Is it that they don't want to have their 2 stores in the area overlap for too long, and that they've got a lease until a certain date on the 132nd and Center location?
They did the same thing with the one at crossroads was well at west maple.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:As in Birmingham Alabama???  If so, when did you live there?
I never lived there, but I do get there occasionally on business.

I'm also a bit surprised about the late opening of Target', as I would expect them to try to cash in on the holiday business.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I seem to recall reading a few months back that Target was going to open a whole bunch of new stores at once...and March 8th was the date.  So it might be a national advertising driven date.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Ben wrote:Anyone else slightly puzzled by the March '08 opening for Target?  I haven't gotten close look inside, but from driving past they've got lights on, and it appears to be fully furnished with shelving, signage, etc.  Why are they going to wait so long to open?  I feel like if they wanted to, they could have that store open quickly, say January - without much of a stretch.  I understand that it takes a lot to train a full store of employees, and stock the shelves, but this feels a bit excessive.  Is it that they don't want to have their 2 stores in the area overlap for too long, and that they've got a lease until a certain date on the 132nd and Center location?

Unlike it's competition, Target only opens stores three times a year.  March, July, and October.  And all stores in that construction cycle open the same day.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Carnival is a good place to shop but it is not always quite that good...  Coming from a market with Carnival, Famous, DSW, etc... I would say that they have what you want at the best price about as often as the others do.  I did buy my last two pairs of work shoes there though and am glad to have the choice here in omaha too.
formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by formeromahan »

Shoe Carnival Rules!!!!! Omaha is in for a big treat!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

a coworker of mine has a son that works at one.  She said that at the store he works at, they announce and make calls on special sales, etc, like they are at a carnival.  Everyone says it's a good atmosphere and there are good deals.  It will be interesting to see the whole development when it gets done, it looks nice.  I was out by there a couple weeks ago and i thought that the facade of target was pretty much done, they had most of the brickwork done on the other stores and they were still doing work on some of the entrances/roads.  I should go back out there so i can see what it looks like.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks for all your updates Brad!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Target on 132nd and Center has a sign stating they close on March 4th at 5:00.
carljsamuelson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by carljsamuelson »

joeglow wrote:Target on 132nd and Center has a sign stating they close on March 4th at 5:00.
Didn't verify to see if it's been posted yet or not, but signs are up saying this new Target is opening March 9th...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

New stores typically open on Wednesdays (quiet opening), and grand openings on Sunday.  So the old store will close on the 4th, and the new one opens on the 5th (quiet opening), then the grand opening on the posted date on the signs outside the building on the 9th.

carljsamuelson wrote:
joeglow wrote:Target on 132nd and Center has a sign stating they close on March 4th at 5:00.
Didn't verify to see if it's been posted yet or not, but signs are up saying this new Target is opening March 9th...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

One Target closing; another opening

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10262167
It's a moving Target.

After the Target store near 132nd Street and West Center Road shuts its doors at 5 p.m. March 4, a newly built SuperTarget will open at 8 a.m. the next morning, a corporate spokeswoman said Monday.

In the "simultaneous relocation," Target spokeswoman Anna Goeppinger said, the new SuperTarget near 120th and L Streets will employ about 100 more people than the older Target store.

"Our goal is to relocate all of our (West Center) team members into the new store," Goeppinger said.

A sealed bid from a potential buyer for the Target building was selected last week, but a purchase agreement had not been signed, according to a representative from the Lund Co., which is handling the sale locally.

A general merchandise Target employs between 150 and 250 people, and a SuperTarget employs between 350 and 450. The old store is about 105,000 square feet, and the new store will be 174,000 square feet, Goeppinger said.
carljsamuelson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by carljsamuelson »

Too funny, I was just getting ready to post this myself...

Brad wrote:One Target closing; another opening

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10262167
It's a moving Target.

After the Target store near 132nd Street and West Center Road shuts its doors at 5 p.m. March 4, a newly built SuperTarget will open at 8 a.m. the next morning, a corporate spokeswoman said Monday.

In the "simultaneous relocation," Target spokeswoman Anna Goeppinger said, the new SuperTarget near 120th and L Streets will employ about 100 more people than the older Target store.

"Our goal is to relocate all of our (West Center) team members into the new store," Goeppinger said.

A sealed bid from a potential buyer for the Target building was selected last week, but a purchase agreement had not been signed, according to a representative from the Lund Co., which is handling the sale locally.

A general merchandise Target employs between 150 and 250 people, and a SuperTarget employs between 350 and 450. The old store is about 105,000 square feet, and the new store will be 174,000 square feet, Goeppinger said.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

They already found a buyer for the old building, eh? That's good...hopefully it's not like a Dollar General...
Bugeater
Library Board

Re: Lowe's and "I" street

Post by Bugeater »

MadScientist wrote:The Lowe's isn't going in with this development...it will be up along 120th, north of "I" street, facing 120th.
I know this was posted a long time ago, but is this still supposed to happen?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The new buyer for the old Target is trying to split it into 4-5 strip bays.  They claim to have a couple of those tenants picked out but did not share.  

No Lowe's N of I St.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

cdub wrote:No Lowe's N of I St.
OK, because that would be stupid. I live in the area and I go to the Home Depot all the time, and it's never busy. WIth Millard Lumber coming in too, a Lowe's would be overkill. I still can't believe they built a Lowe's right across the street from the HD on 144th & Maple.
SRT84WD
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SRT84WD »

Has anyone thought about what holiday traffic will be like in this development once it is done?  It is already challenge enough to maneuver into Home Depot from 132nd Street.  I am not looking forward to the congestion once it all goes in.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finally in the news:

Books-A-Million Signs Agreement to Open in Omaha
"Cormac Company is excited to announce the first Books-A-Million in the state of Nebraska as one of the anchor tenants in L Street Marketplace Shopping Center located at 120th and L Street in Omaha, Nebraska," said John Dewhurst, Director of Development for Cormac Company. "Books-A-Million brings a dynamic product mix and customer base to the project that will add to the overall synergy being created by the tenants. In our opinion they were the perfect addition to our shopping center." Books-A-Million's own Joe Muggs Cafe, a full line coffee and espresso bar, will provide customers with a warm and inviting place to relax.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

SRT84WD wrote:Has anyone thought about what holiday traffic will be like in this development once it is done?  It is already challenge enough to maneuver into Home Depot from 132nd Street.  I am not looking forward to the congestion once it all goes in.
No kidding, that access road along L st is a joke, it seems like there is a stop sign every 20 feet. I used to cut behind the Wal-mart to avoid it all, but they put up some "no trespassing" signs a while back so I don't anymore. Someone mentioned punching I street all the way through, that would be ideal. Luckily I come in from 120th most of the time so I don't have to deal with it very much.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

I opened the first SuperTarget, which was the 132nd and Maple one.   After getting shelves in the store, it literally took 5-6 weeks to stock the store, with all the employees bouncing between stocking and training.   It's a LOT of merchandise ;)
carljsamuelson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by carljsamuelson »

Bugeater wrote:
SRT84WD wrote:Has anyone thought about what holiday traffic will be like in this development once it is done?  It is already challenge enough to maneuver into Home Depot from 132nd Street.  I am not looking forward to the congestion once it all goes in.
No kidding, that access road along L st is a joke, it seems like there is a stop sign every 20 feet. I used to cut behind the Wal-mart to avoid it all, but they put up some "no trespassing" signs a while back so I don't anymore. Someone mentioned punching I street all the way through, that would be ideal. Luckily I come in from 120th most of the time so I don't have to deal with it very much.
Believe me it's only going to get worse & worse.  Millard Lumber is opening Monday, March 3rd; and traffic is going to be a total nightmare from that... and then Target opens on the 5th... forget about it... might as well walk in from Amazing Pizza Machine, as that will be quicker.
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

I first encountered Books-a-Million last year in KC KS across the street from the Furniture Mart. Similar to Barnes & Noble but it felt like an over sized B Dalton.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
huskerJay
New to the Neighborhood

Post by huskerJay »

This might be common knowledge, but is that a best buy they are building back there? and what else are they building east of Target and behind the the L street marketplace
carljsamuelson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by carljsamuelson »

huskerJay wrote:This might be common knowledge, but is that a best buy they are building back there? and what else are they building east of Target and behind the the L street marketplace
Here's a link to some info:
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Li ... t006a00001

Even better, though, here's a link to a PDF doc that lists some of the coming tenants:
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/LoopLink/Pr ... ck=Profile

And, yes, that's a Best Buy (in between (according the above PDF) a B-A-M and the new location of Sports Authority).

One PDF I saw a while back had a standalone Starbucks out in front of the Super Target (just off L Street (around 126th))... yes, the same Super Target that has a Starbucks inside it.

FYI... visited that Super Target today, it's 1000 times better than the junk one they closed.  Hard to get to though (from Connectivity campus at least).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have heard there is still a Starbucks going in.  A lot of developers wanted a Starbucks in their development because it drew traffic.  However with Starbucks Slowing its growth, it may have been pushed back.

In this plan you can see a Starbucks just to the Left of the Target, Right by the entrance:

Lizard
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Lizard »

carljsamuelson wrote:FYI... visited that Super Target today, it's 1000 times better than the junk one they closed.  Hard to get to though (from Connectivity campus at least).
I went there today, and wow is it nice.  The aisles are huge, the racks in the clothing department are spread out, which definitely makes it feel like a more spacious store (compared to other Super Targets).  They also have things set up differently... for example all the kids stuff is in one section... clothes, toys, baby supplies, diapers and baby food is all together now.  Before you had to go to separate sides of the store for it all.  

They also have a Pizza Hut Express, they appear to sell a Hawaiian personal pan so they'll get my business eventually.  :) They also sell some Target deli lunches in the same Pizza Hut area, bread bowl soups, salads and the like.  I saw "organic mac & cheese kids meal" on the menu, they are definitely catering to soccer moms, LOL.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Like the fool I am, I went to Super-T on the day of their grand opening.  It was packed, but everything seemed to be running smoothly.  I agree, it is a very nice store, considering the genre.  I noticed a few days later that work is advancing quickly on additional stores immediately to the east of Target.  Some may be open by summertime.  Certainly Best Buy will be.

I would love to see some "new to Omaha" restaurants in the mix.  Time will tell, I suppose.  That part of town does not have many decent restaurants.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Lizard wrote:
carljsamuelson wrote:FYI... visited that Super Target today, it's 1000 times better than the junk one they closed.  Hard to get to though (from Connectivity campus at least).
I went there today, and wow is it nice.  The aisles are huge, the racks in the clothing department are spread out, which definitely makes it feel like a more spacious store (compared to other Super Targets).  They also have things set up differently... for example all the kids stuff is in one section... clothes, toys, baby supplies, diapers and baby food is all together now.  Before you had to go to separate sides of the store for it all.  

They also have a Pizza Hut Express, they appear to sell a Hawaiian personal pan so they'll get my business eventually.  :) They also sell some Target deli lunches in the same Pizza Hut area, bread bowl soups, salads and the like.  I saw "organic mac & cheese kids meal" on the menu, they are definitely catering to soccer moms, LOL.
This S.target layout is identical to the one on W.Maple
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Bryan1117
Home Owners Association

Post by Bryan1117 »

I stopped over at the Home Depot here today, and whoever designed the roads around this shopping center has got to be the biggest idiot ever. There are so many poorly designed access roads in this area its amazing. It is going to be really interesting how difficult it will be to get around this place when all the other stores are open and especially around the holidays. I have a feeling that L Street between 120th and 132nd is going to start feeling like driving on West Center Road between 120th and 144th, with all the retail along this new stretch. But despite the road flaws, its still going to be better for driving to the Best Buy in this area, than all the way to Shadow Lake or to Village Pointe, having this one opening here makes me feel less angry towards BB since they closed their Oak View location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another tenant announced: "Jason's Deli plans a location in the new L Street Marketplace near 120th and L Streets. It will be the Texas-based chain's second location in Omaha. The first opened at 7010 Dodge St. in February 2006, the new deli will open June 23."
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Are those some sort of water features in the southeast and southwest corners of the development?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Where's the FBI's new office in relation to this... is that the fenced off project u/c on the northwest corner of 120th ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Yes, and it will always look more like a prison than anything else.  I really wish the FBI would have landed somewhere else.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Are those some sort of water features in the southeast and southwest corners of the development?
Some what.  They are more functional than they are aesthetic.  New laws are requiring more and more on site Storm Water Detention and they are actually detention basins.  Throw a fountain in them and people never know the difference.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Form AND function.  I like it. :D
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963