Leytham, A New Traditional Neighborhood

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Herb
Home Owners Association

Post by Herb »

Greetings to all;

Harpoon states that there is no demand for compact, walkable, mix-use neighborhoods like Leytham on the suburban fringe.  I can assure him and all of you that there is a very great and rapidly growing demand for such neighborhoods all over the rural to urban transect, from rural areas to suburbia to the urban core.  To satatisfy this large and growing demand there is a wide array of new urban development types including:

Adaptive reuse of existing structures:  Example - old red brick warehouses converted into retail, offices, apartments above first floor retail like Tip Top

Redevelopment: Examples - Midtown Crossing and Aksarben Village

Urban Infill:  Development of vacant parcels that were passed over

Greyfields:  Redevelopment of abandoned or under-utilized shopping centers (like Crossroads someday????) and “ghost boxes” (a.k.a. defunct “big box“ stores)

Brownfields:  Redevelopment of industrial sites:  Examples - Riverfront Place and the Rows at SOMA

Greenfields:  Conservation neighborhoods and new traditional neighborhoods (TNDs) on agricultural land:  Example - Leytham

New traditional neighborhood developments on the suburban fringe have found very great success all over the country.  I have been to many of them in my travels.  I have seen their success, and I have become convinced the demand is there.  If I were not convinced that there is great demand for a well executed greenfield TND in Omaha (as there is everywehre else - why would Omaha be any different?), I would not have spent the last three years on Leytham.  

Not everyone who wants to live in a compact, walkable, mixed-use neighborhood wants to live in the central core of the city.   I have seen very successful greenfield new tratitional neighbohoods in the suburubs and on the fringes of Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, Kansas City, Des Moines, Denver, Montgomery and Birmingham, AL, Orlando and other places.  

One of the most successfull is New Town at St. Charles, outside of St. Charles, Mo. which is outside of St. Louis.  If one does a google earch fly-by to New Town at St. Charles, he/she will see just where it is and what one drives by to get to it.  Start your google earth tour at I70 and MO state highway 370.  Follow 370 northeast to Elm Street.  Then follow Elm/New Town Boulevard to the neighborhood.  Go ahead now . . .  dive right down to about 1,500 feet elevation.  The picture is very clear.  See what is along the way to New Town at St. Charles.  Take a good, close look then realize the fact in the next paragraph.

Despite its location and all that you drive by to get there, because of wonderful design and excellent execution, New Town at St. Charles was named the top-selling development out of 17,280 developments in a region that includes all or part of 16 states, according to a survey by MarketGraphics, a market research firm based in Brentwood, Tennessee.  This was reported in the April/May 2006 issue of New Urban News.  Check out the New Town at St. Charles web site here: http://www.newtownatstcharles.com/.  

Naturally the terrible economy that has devistated real estate sales across the country has hurt sales in TNDs too.  But all reports indicate that sales in TNDs are holding up much better than sales in conventional suburban mono-cultures of single purpose, single price point sprawl development.

The good news is that the credit freeze and the decline of the real estate markets are coming to an end, and so soon (the SID fiscal agent-gods willing) Leytham can begin.  Till then, I keep working behind the scenes to make Leytham an even more wonderful project.  More to follow on that . . .

Yours for the walkable, compact, mixed-use GREENFIELD neighborhood,

Herb
Herb Freeman
Full Circle Ventures, Inc.
16510 State Street
Bennington, NE  68007

Herb@FullCircleVentures.com
http://www.Leytham.com
http://www.NewHerbanism.BlogSpot.com
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Thanks for the update Herb. Keep up the hard work, I applaud your efforts. I'm convinced you bringing a TND to Omaha will change the game for developers out west.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Thanks Herb for this update!  Please keep us posted for your developments and conversations with City Planning.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

What is the proposed price range?

Also, would State street and the other major roads remain 45mph speed limits as to keep traffic flowing?
mrdwhsr
Library Board

Post by mrdwhsr »

DTO Luv wrote:I still don't think it's all that great. Doesn't do much for me.
Doesn't do anything for me either. Where is the transit service? Non-existent. Nice architecture and pretty drawings, but once you get out of the garage, down the alley, and out of the subdivision it will dawn on you pretty fast that you live in suburbia! This makes no more sense than the condo and apartment units along Maple that should have been built along a street-car or light-rail line near downtown.

How many units with no garage? That wasn't unusual in real the 1920's streetcar suburbs.
Herb
Home Owners Association

Post by Herb »

Leytham's new website has launched!

Check it out at http://www.Leytham.com and let me know what you think.
Herb Freeman
16510 State Street
Bennington, NE  68007

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

mrdwhsr wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I still don't think it's all that great. Doesn't do much for me.
Doesn't do anything for me either. Where is the transit service? Non-existent. Nice architecture and pretty drawings, but once you get out of the garage, down the alley, and out of the subdivision it will dawn on you pretty fast that you live in suburbia! This makes no more sense than the condo and apartment units along Maple that should have been built along a street-car or light-rail line near downtown.

How many units with no garage? That wasn't unusual in real the 1920's streetcar suburbs.
I don't think that is a valid point criticizing Leytham for conditions outside of the proposed development which are beyond its control. Leytham will be better suited to accommodate connections to mass transit than other typical suburban developments, once such mass transit exists. The fact that it is a denser development will help encourage extending mass transit into the suburbs. Leytham will serve as a good  example of how other future suburban developments should be done. But don't blame Leytham for mistakes of the past.

Also, I can't think of any examples of Benson or Dundee residences that didn't have at least a one-car garage. There are a few apartments with no garages, but also some with limited garages, such as the Elwood & Ambassador at 49th & Dodge. It would be unrealistic for Leytham to not offer garages, at least until mass transit is well established, in my opinion.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I wish this development only the best.  I am very sorry to see the indefinite delay, but then everything else seems to be on hold until the economy improves.  We can all hope that will be sooner rather than later.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I like everything about it, especially the architecture (which I'm used to since I live in Virginia).
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Herb,

Where in the site plan does your home sit?  And what do the lot colors mean?  I can't seem to find a key...

Thanks![/i]
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

mcarch wrote:Herb,

Where in the site plan does your home sit?  And what do the lot colors mean?  I can't seem to find a key...

Thanks![/i]
His home is in the dark green area in the middle of the images. Look back to page one for the original site plan.
Herb
Home Owners Association

Post by Herb »

Here is the Lot Type Key for the Leytham Site Plan:

From this table you can see the size of each lot type, the number of lots by type and phase and the lot counts.  

Remember that in addition to the 514 single family lots, there are an additional 330 multi-family apartment and condominium dwelling units that will be built on the 16 multi-family and on the 20 flex lots over retail, service and office uses.  And in addition to all of that are the accessory dwellings over garages in the alleys.  All-in-all, Leytham could have nearly 900 dwelling units when it is completely built out.  That is about 5.6 dwelling units per acre gross (900/160 acres).  Compare that to Straford Park, a 160 acre conventional suburban subdivision just west of Leytham with 362 lots, or 2.26 dwelling units per acre gross. Computed on a "net site area" basis (gross site area less the natural and civic areas and street/alley right of ways), Leytham's density is 11.4 dwelling units per acre (900/79 net site acres).  

And remember that there are 32.9 acres of natural area, civic space and community green space in Leytham.  That is nearly 21% of the 160 acre gross site area of the neighborhood. This is how you get a more houses with smaller yards and yet more usable green space all at once.  

And, yes, my home, which will become The Commons at Leytham, is in the large, oval-shaped civic lot in the center of the site plan

Yours for the walkable, compact, mixed use neighborhood . . . even on the urban fringe.

Herb
Herb Freeman
16510 State Street
Bennington, NE  68007

mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Thanks!!!
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

If this development was east of 120th, I would be saving up every penny right now.

THe architecture looks great, it would be great.  I wish it luck though.
Herb
Home Owners Association

Post by Herb »

MrPoloShirt wrote:If this development was east of 120th, I would be saving up every penny right now.

To get into a great new traditional neighborhood like Leytham, MrPoloShirt, how far north and/or south of Dodge would you be willing to consider?  The only remaining larger parcels for development east of 120th are (considered by some) to be pretty far to either the north or south.   I am just curious about your "range" . . .  for the next "Leytham."  What do you think of Sarpy county east of 120th, but pretty far south?

And thanks for your comments on the architecture and your well wishes, too.

Herb
Herb Freeman
16510 State Street
Bennington, NE  68007

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Herb wrote:The only remaining larger parcels for development east of 120th are (considered by some) to be pretty far to either the north or south.
Is there nothing left in North O that couldn't be purchased and redeveloped relatively affordably?
Stable genius.
Herb
Home Owners Association

Post by Herb »

Big E wrote:
Herb wrote:The only remaining larger parcels for development east of 120th are (considered by some) to be pretty far to either the north or south.
Is there nothing left in North O that couldn't be purchased and redeveloped relatively affordably?
What size are you thinking, Big E?  

I was referring to "subdivison-size" tracts. There are, of course, a number of smaller, infill and redevelopment sites, but they are quite small (even down to the individual lot size).  I was approached by a fellow developer looking for a close-in, 30 acre site for a mixed-use project that would include some live/work units as well as co-housing, and he could not find any well-located, suitable sites even relatively "close-in."  He told me that not even the city planning department had any thing to suggest to him.  

If you have any ideas for well-located, suitable redevelopment and infill sites, please suggest them.  There are people looking . . . .

Herb
Herb Freeman
16510 State Street
Bennington, NE  68007

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I guess I'm thinking it would require buying some existing inventory and "redeveloping"...  ie, bulldozing some crackhouses.

I didn't have anything specific in mind.  I was just hypothesizing.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What about that area between DTO and the airport along Abbot? Or that junk yard area north of north DT between 15th and 17th?
DTO
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

This is a really great project. I hope we see more of this kind of development around the city in the future.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Herb wrote:
MrPoloShirt wrote:If this development was east of 120th, I would be saving up every penny right now.

To get into a great new traditional neighborhood like Leytham, MrPoloShirt, how far north and/or south of Dodge would you be willing to consider?  The only remaining larger parcels for development east of 120th are (considered by some) to be pretty far to either the north or south.   I am just curious about your "range" . . .  for the next "Leytham."  What do you think of Sarpy county east of 120th, but pretty far south?

Herb
The area around the proposed Royals ballpark along 370 has that potential, there is a bunch of open land to the east of that site that would be appropriate for a development of this type.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

Herb wrote:

Herb
I would not go further west than 120th and nowhere outside of Douglas county.

I would recommend making it a bit smaller and just hear me out, and this has been my idea for years, buy a golf course owned by the city of Omaha.

Omaha needs to get rid of these golf courses like Benson, Johnny GOodman........AND MY KICKER Elmwood Park.

Everything east of that street that cuts north through Elmwood around 65th street should be sold to a development like this.

It's not the city's job to entertain people, we don't need golf courses, that's lost tax revenue for the city.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

Harpoon wrote:
The area around the proposed Royals ballpark along 370 has that potential, there is a bunch of open land to the east of that site that would be appropriate for a development of this type.
You personally might not mind living in that area, but most Omahans who can afford a house like the ones proposed here do not want to live in North or South Omaha.

You have to put yourself in other people's shoes in a realistic manner.  Not everyone want to gentrify.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

Herb wrote: If you have any ideas for well-located, suitable redevelopment and infill sites, please suggest them.  There are people looking . . . .
Please please if you can suggest it, GOLF COURSES.

Get rid of 90% of all city owned courses.

Elmwood Park and FIELD CLUB.

Field Club would make a great place for this.  The city should not be in the entertainment business.

Even some privately owned courses would work if you offered enough like Ironwood or Miracle Hills.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wow, you want to get rid of some of the most unique courses in Omaha?  You are absolutely crazy, Elmwood is the best!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Roads also lose the city money, but you don't see them slowing down on those.  They are a necessity, you say?  Well aren't golf courses a necessity?  Do out of town visitors not like going golfing while in town?  People already |expletive| about there not being anything to do in Omaha, and if you make nearly every course private (by eliminating 90% of the other ones), it would definitely hamper people's spirits here.  I like golfing.  I like that there are reasonably priced courses.  Privately owned = more expensive.  I'm not saying that 1 or 2 here or there couldn't stand to be closed to save on expenses, but shutting down virtually all of them is stupid...no matter what the savings would be.
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The city should not be in the entertainment business.
QWEST Center  :shock:
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I would rather see these kind of developments in areas that need it, like the places DTO pointed out. No need to get rid of the Elmwood or Field Club golf courses.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

thenewguy wrote:Roads also lose the city money, but you don't see them slowing down on those.  They are a necessity, you say?  Well aren't golf courses a necessity?  Do out of town visitors not like going golfing while in town?  People already |expletive| about there not being anything to do in Omaha, and if you make nearly every course private (by eliminating 90% of the other ones), it would definitely hamper people's spirits here.  I like golfing.  I like that there are reasonably priced courses.  Privately owned = more expensive.  I'm not saying that 1 or 2 here or there couldn't stand to be closed to save on expenses, but shutting down virtually all of them is stupid...no matter what the savings would be.
Your statement ids ridiculous.

There are plenty of private courses, probably more private ones than public.  FURTHERMORE, golf is NOT a necessity.

Do you have any idea how much lost property tax revenue is lost because the city thinks it's the tax payers job to fund golf?
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

Uffda wrote:
Should have never been built.

The Civic should also be torn down and sold.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

ShawJ wrote:No need to get rid of the Elmwood or Field Club golf courses.
Give me a solid factual statement based on logic and numbers that says this.

"Oh we need them."  Why?  Blind statement from someone who has been brainwashed to think it's the government's job to entertain people.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Wow, you want to get rid of some of the most unique courses in Omaha?  You are absolutely crazy, Elmwood is the best!
"Elmwood is the best"  What kind of argument is that?

Can you give me a logic reason why we shouldn't get rid of it?  You cannot.

Millions of tax revenue is lost because of this mindset.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

MrPoloShirt wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Should have never been built.

The Civic should also be torn down and sold.
best flame bait evar!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:best flame bait evar!
LOL... :D
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

MrPoloShirt wrote:

"Oh we need them."  Why?  Blind statement from someone who has been brainwashed to think it's the government's job to entertain people.
I never said we needed them. I simply said that I would rather see this type of development in a place like DTO suggested. I would rather redevelop an area like the junkyard between 15th and 17th or the space along Abbott instead of messing with an area like Elmwood golf course.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

MrPoloShirt wrote:
Even some privately owned courses would work if you offered enough like Ironwood or Miracle Hills.
I don't think any residential developer could handle buying out Ironwood of all places in this market. You would effectively price people out of your homes if you were looking to turn a profit.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

ShawJ wrote:
MrPoloShirt wrote:

I never said we needed them. I simply said that I would rather see this type of development in a place like DTO suggested. I would rather redevelop an area like the junkyard between 15th and 17th or the space along Abbott instead of messing with an area like Elmwood golf course.
Herb's development is much like a "village" I don't think that would go well in an area around there.  Maybe townhouses might be okay, but I would never live in a development like that so close to such very urban areas.

But come on, Field Club.  Forget Elmwood Park.  You cannot possibly say we need to keep Field Club.  That would be the perfect spot for this development.
MrPoloShirt
Home Owners Association

Post by MrPoloShirt »

thenewguy wrote: Really, who needs to do anything but eat, sleep, |expletive|, and go to work?
What about "privately owned" entertainment?  The government should stay out of the entertainment business.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

MrPoloShirt wrote: But come on, Field Club.  Forget Elmwood Park.  You cannot possibly say we need to keep Field Club.  That would be the perfect spot for this development.
I wouldn't oppose it. Then again, I'm not around the Field Club area very often.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

thenewguy wrote:Really, who needs to do anything but eat, sleep, |expletive|, and go to work?
You forgot |expletive|.
Stable genius.