South Gray Hawk

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Raraavis
Library Board

South Gray Hawk

Post by Raraavis »

I don't know if anyone has noticed there are signs up for a South Gray Hawk development in the 144th and Maple area as well. It is the area behind the Lowe's store where the Lowe's logo is in this image.

I would hope it would be as high a quality of development as West Gray Hawk appears to be.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I guess quality is a relative term. I think we've just reached a point in Omaha's retail... where strip malls have simply begun to become more sensitive to pedestrian/aesthetics/etc considerations. No doubt with shear number of developments... competition is an issue driving this.

What does everyone make of the use of the copper at East Village Pointe?!?? (perhaps you even saw this on your journey west Ryan)
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

I guess quality is a relative term.

Absolutely. You start with low expectations when the anchor store is a Lowe's. They have started surrounding it with above average developments however.

I wish it was more pedestrian friendly. In my mind it's not pedestrian friendly unless it is tied into the other developments and the surrounding neighborhoods. I can never understand why sidewalks are so neglected in these developments.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

LOL Pedestrian friendly is a relative term as well.

At this point we're seeing a modest increase with an emphasis on things like 'al fresco' cafe seating, small common areas, water elements. Cases in point: Shops at Lakeside, Shops at Legacy, Pacific Ridge (think that's what it's called... at 180th and Pacific), etc... not to speak of the substantial renovation going on at Rockbrook.
Last edited by eomaha on Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I couldn't comment Jeff, I never ended up making it out to West Omaha last weekend. I did a little tour of a few streets on South Omaha, then headed to downtown Council Bluffs, then headed back to Des Moines.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Sprawl is so beautiful.....
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I was very disappointed when I saw how Village Pointe East was turning out. I appreciate when an architect tries to do something different but Randy Brown must be stopped. His buildings at 120th and Blondo are brutal, and he has done it again. It's too bad they could not have tied it in better with Village Pointe.
OmahaMan25
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaMan25 »

Greg, one more randy brown thing. he also is goint to be developing that strip mall just south of burke street! I agree that building on blondo is just insaine!
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Which building on Blondo are you talking about?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's those two silver/metallic buildings at 120th and Blondo. There is a Scooter's and a buffalo wings place in one of them.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I know they are kind of wierd looking but I think they are a breath of fresh air for the architectural scene in Omaha. They are very different but that's what I like about them. I am so sick of the red brick boxes that we have all over this town I could puke. Buildings like these add a little spice to the landscape. Nothing wrong with that.
jborg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jborg »

I like the design of the buildings as well, but I do not think that they look well placed right next to the creek. If they were in more of an urban setting, I think they would look much better.