72nd "L" Plaza

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

72nd "L" Plaza

Post by Coyote »

SWC of 72nd & L Street.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

What kind of zones are these?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just a block north of 72nd "L" Plaza will be Lakeview Plaza - 72nd & Q

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:What kind of zones are these?
This project was rezoned from DR and GI to MU-Mixed Use District (Lots 1, 3, 6, and 12) and GI-General Industrial District (the portion of the property that lies within the floodway fringe - Lots 2, 4, 5 and 7-11)
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Wow!  What kind of approval process was required to move Q st north of L st?

:mrgreen:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So it looks like the old buildings will stay along "L" street, Thats a shame to have to look at that from your new building.  At least the Bait shop is staying, all the "real" bait shops have closed up.

Sppeking of bad views.... Rod Kush across the street from this development.

All and all it is Great to see this area of 72nd start to fill in.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was going to say good news for Ralston but it looks like this corner is in the Omaha city limits.

And cdub - my bad - I meant south - it was north when I looked on the map from the north.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

No prob, just giving you some heck... Nice work on all the new plans.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Note the drive thru on the upper left of the plan. Looks like another Starbucks to me, they love those end of stripmall spots.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Note the drive thru on the upper left of the plan. Looks like another Starbucks to me, they love those end of stripmall spots.
Two Things.

1, Starbucks wants to go towards more freestanding stores, like the one up the Road on 72nd and 370 currently under construction

2, This building is owned by http://www.cutchallmanagement.com/ so may be pick from one of their restaurants
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Just a block north of 72nd "L" Plaza will be Lakeview Plaza - 72nd & Q

Here is this one, already have footings in.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They have brought in so much dirt the entire site is now out of the flood plain.

The bait store

The DUMPY Neighbors

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Plaza proposed at 72nd and L

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10075538
A 30-acre development planned for the southwest corner of 72nd and L Streets includes a large home improvement store, a bank and three new retail buildings.

proposed 72nd and L Plaza also would relocate a Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealership on L Street at 73rd Street to another site in the project.

The Omaha Planning Board is scheduled to vote today on the project's preliminary plat and request for zoning change.

Vic Pelster, a leasing agent with NP Dodge, which is representing the developer, Hilltop Group LLC, declined to name retailers locating in the plaza.

The preliminary plat shows a 162,000-square-foot home improvement store at the project's western edge. While the store abuts L Street, it would face east, with parking to the front, or east. The main entrance to the development would be farther down on 72nd Street.

The developer and the city are working together to determine the layout of the smaller buildings.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

So, what "large home improvement store" can we expect here?  With a Home Depot at 84th & Cornhusker, and a Lowes at 72nd & Giles, could it possibly be another Menards?  Or is it far enough from the Papillion Home Depot for another one?

I wouldn't have predicted any of those, so I am curious...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think Jeff Beals said it was a Menards.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Brad wrote:I think Jeff Beals said it was a Menards.
Really?  That is great.  I was starting to worry tonight that it would just be an 84 Lumber.  Hopefully Builders Supply still has enough business to keep going strong.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jsheets wrote:Hopefully Builders Supply still has enough business to keep going strong.
I think Builders supply has more of the contractor market where as Menards (#15) is for the weekend warrior.

My only real complaint with Menards (#15) is the STUPID mail in rebates!  I am not going to waste my time and a stamp to save a buck... Screw that, I will get it at Home Depot (#20) or Lowes (#48 )
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ah just chill out Brad and have a Budweiser ( #8 )
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Ah just chill out Brad and have a Budweiser ( #8 )
Normally yes, but tonight a crown royal (#26) sounds good.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That sounds like a fair trade - better than my other favorite Jim Beam (7) there is sale at Target (41) this week you should check it out. I think Red Bull (83) is also on sale. But don't fall for the Little Debbies (21) chasers. You might have to deal with Waste Management (14).
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

I am so confused  :shrug:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jsheets wrote:
Brad wrote:I think Jeff Beals said it was a Menards.
Really?  That is great.  I was starting to worry tonight that it would just be an 84 Lumber.  Hopefully Builders Supply still has enough business to keep going strong.

Does 84 Lumber really build new stores?  I have never seen one, here or elsewhere, where they didn't go into a vacant property.

As for Menard's I go there on occasion but they are always behind Lowes and Home Depot on my list.  It really irks me that no matter how big they build the store or how wide they make the isles they feel it is OK to stock pallets of stock in the middle of the isles at any time of the day.  RESTOCK AT NIGHT.  You want me to buy your stuff but I cannot get around the store with a cart for anything.  That and the layout of the store always seem to change.  Always like going in someplace new.  By the way, I will NEVER buy milk and groceries at Menards, why do they think this is a good idea?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Menard's stores are indeed seemingly less organized... but on the other hand, I've always found a better selection at them (sort of like the old Kmart on West Center... that place was a dump... but they had all sorts of cool stuff... I'm sick of this new strategy used by every retail store of only stocking what is 'in season' at this very moment.  Sometimes landscape light bulbs burn out in the winter people!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Menard's stores are indeed seemingly less organized... but on the other hand, I've always found a better selection at them (sort of like the old Kmart on West Center... that place was a dump... but they had all sorts of cool stuff... I'm sick of this new strategy used by every retail store of only stocking what is 'in season' at this very moment.  Sometimes landscape light bulbs burn out in the winter people!
Better only if Better = More.  Of course they have like for like items at all three of the major home improvements stores in the area, but better meaning better quality does not = Menards.  If you are looking at the same TYPE of items Menards will loose on the quality battle every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Menards to anchor project at 72nd and L Streets
Omaha World Herald wrote:A Menards home improvement store will anchor a 30-acre development planned for the southwest corner of 72nd and L Streets, a company spokesman and local real estate broker said. "This will be our newest, largest prototype with 240,000 covered square feet, an indoor/outdoor garden center, enclosed lumber yard and detached warehouse," Nuttelman said. Three or four separate buildings will run along the east side of the property. They include a 4,000-square-foot bank and the 36,000-square-foot Harley-Davidson building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The rendering in the first post is about 0% correct... It looks really different now.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

That's because Menards came to town, big boxes F everything up!  :)
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

I snapped this today with my camera phone (sorry for the crappy quality) (Menards - Coming Soon sign)

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did you get a photo of the big new Harley store?
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

No I didn't get a chance.  Honestly I didn't even notice that there was a new store.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

theurge wrote:No I didn't get a chance.  Honestly I didn't even notice that there was a new store.
You must have been on "L" street then, because if you are on 72nd and missed it... You are blind.
theurge
Home Owners Association

Post by theurge »

No I was on 72nd...  I must be blind.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Wow.  I just drove up 72nd tonight and I didn't see any new Harley store, either.  Maybe they were just closed.  It was 6:15 pm.  I didn't notice their sign or any motorcycles or anything.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That HUGE building is not Menard's... Its HD of Omaha!  Menard's has not even started building yet.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Site demolition is in progress.  I don't know if this means Menards is back on track
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Menards is finally ready, they are asking for $2 m TIF for a $20 m project for a full service Menards retail, with 'complimentary office and retail developments on the outlots.'
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Menards is finally ready, they are asking for $2 m TIF for a $20 m project for a full service Menards retail, with 'complimentary office and retail developments on the outlots.'
There is also a credit union under construction near the Harley dealership.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

So after seven years, things are finally starting to get built?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OSILayer8Support wrote:So after seven years, things are finally starting to get built?
It was getting ready to start right before the economy colapsed in 2008.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Coyote wrote:Menards is finally ready, they are asking for $2 m TIF for a $20 m project for a full service Menards retail, with 'complimentary office and retail developments on the outlots.'
This will be great if it's built.  I'm tired of driving way out to 120th to go to Menard's.