Linden Market (formerly Westridge Shopping Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Nothing big... but even strip malls are improving incrementally.
Shopping center evolves

The Westridge Shopping Center at 132nd Street and West Dodge Road will have a new look, new businesses and a new name this fall.

The new look is courtesy of a $750,000 renovation of the 106,000-square-foot shopping center that includes construction of a convenience store with gas pumps for the main anchor, the Hy-Vee Food Store.

The new businesses are a Cox Communications customer service center; Cheeburger Cheeburger, a 1950s-style family restaurant and soda fountain, scheduled to open later this fall; and a second still-to-be-announced restaurant.

The new name - Linden Market - reflects the identity of the shopping center's location more accurately, said Timothy Kerrigan, a partner in Investors Realty, the company that manages and leases the center for a local private investor.

Kerrigan said Linden Estates, Linden Place and Linden Park are in the immediate area of the shopping center, which sits on 20 acres of land. The use of "Market" in the name clearly suggests an atmosphere, Kerrigan said, of dining, shopping and entertainment all in one place.

"It's not just a shopping center anymore," he said.

Renovations began in mid-August. They include new landscaping and directional signs, lighting, colored concrete, benches, planters and public art. Twenty front-door parking stalls also are being added at the east end of the nearly 500-car parking lot.

This is the first major renovation of the center, which opened in 1989. The work is expected to be completed by Nov. 1, Kerrigan said.

In general, Linden Market's 26 retail tenants are pleased with the improvements.

Lindley Clothing, a family-owned menswear retailer, has been at the center for 12 years after operating a store in Millard since 1960.

Lindley Clothing also operates a location in Wahoo, Neb., where the business was founded 69 years ago.

Owner John Lindley said the center's appearance needed an update.

"The renovations are fantastic," Lindley said. "To bring the parking up to the front door . . . It was quite a walk for our customers ."

He said the changes are needed for the center to compete with new shopping malls and centers.

Renaming the center Linden Market will give it more name recognition, Lindley said. He admitted that in the past he referred to the center as the Hy-Vee Center.

"When people are trying to find you, it's easy to say, 'Look for the Hy-Vee.' That was the landmark."

Dan Billerbeck, pharmacist and part-owner of Medicine Man Pharmacy, agreed that the new name is a good idea.

"Many people don't know the name of the shopping center," Billerbeck said. "But a lot depends on how the name is promoted."

Billerbeck, who has been at the center for 15 years, recently moved north of his original location next to the new Cox customer service center.

He said he hopes the renovations generate more traffic to get people walking through the plaza.

Kerrigan said the local private investor regards Linden Market as one of the best locations in Omaha because of the abundance of nearby housing developments, business parks and traffic along West Dodge Road. Almost 194,000 people live within five miles of Linden Market, and the average daily traffic in 2003 was 88,300 cars, Kerrigan said.

According to the 2003 data, the median age of Linden Market customers living within one mile of the center was 46. Average household income was $140,645. Within three miles, the average household income was $82,960.

Linden Market is part of Omaha's movement toward establishing neighborhood gathering spots, Kerrigan said. The goal is to "create a neighborhood destination everyone will talk about."

DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Three words stand out in this article: 'Cheeseburger', 'Cheeseburger' and 'Wahoo' which is mockingly becoming my favorite place name in all of Nebraska.

You know the retail landscape has defintely changed for the better from a design standpoint when hum-drum strip malls get into the lifestyle center craze.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

That's CHEEburger, CHEEburger! http://www.cheeburger-cheeburger.com

Good grief... yet another franchise new to the area.

Perhaps you already knew... that Wahoo was (is?? I know the town wanted to take the sign down) Dave Letterman's 'home office' .
Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

According to the 2003 data, the median age of Linden Market customers living within one mile of the center was 46. Average household income was $140,645. Within three miles, the average household income was $82,960.

Damn, I need to update my resume. Where are these people working that they are making this kind of money?
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Hey, I forgot all about Wahoo being the home office! Seriously, with a town name like Wahoo, locals have to expect to have the place made fun of. No wonder Letterman picked the place...

This "Cheeburger" place doesn't look half bad. Any place that lets you put jalepenos, tabasco and blue cheese on a hamburger is alright with me. And look at the list of malt flavors!

After a six-pack, it beats a Runza anyday of the week.
omahaopinions.com
Home Owners Association

Post by omahaopinions.com »

I can't wait until I get to chow down on the famous "one pounder"!!!
OmahaOpinions.com - Express your opinions!
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

We have a "Cheeburger Cheeburger" in Jupiter, Florida. I had no idea it was a chain.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Does it look that much different?

Still has a Temporary Sign

I also put this pic under the Sitting Empty Thread, any one know what happened?
Earl May
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Most of the improvements have been in the sidewalk areas in front of the stores, they added some public seating, art pieces, more landscaping. Not a full scape 'facade lift' like some of the retail centers are doing. Next time take some pictures at the other end of the parking lot, next to the stores.

Earl May has been closed for months now... I guess they just weren't doing enough business (never were many people there when I went).

That's the first I've noticed the construction equipment though. Maybe they're prepping it for a new tenant(s).
Maverick
Home Owners Association

Post by Maverick »

We do have a Cheeburger Cheeburger, out around 175th and Center. Haven't been there, but family who lives out there says it's good.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Maverick wrote:We do have a Cheeburger Cheeburger, out around 175th and Center. Haven't been there, but family who lives out there says it's good.
Check out the post date on the orignal post that said they were comming. It is quite old. The one on Dodge was open before the one on Center by a few months or more. THis thread was justed started before the one on Dodge opened.

I have been to both locations, and wouln't you know it they are about the same! :wink: Pretty good, I think, if you go their knowing what you are in for. Not a place where I want to go all the time but a nice change of pace.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linden Market, The Former Earl May (132nd and Dodge)

After revamping the parking lot last year, attention has now turned to the Earl May building.  It appears that they are converting it to more strip may type retail.  No signage pointing to a tenant, still for Lease.
OmahaKiki
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaKiki »

I haven't been by that area in awhile, but I heard that "Interiors Joan and Associates" is going in the Earl May.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Update Photos:

Interiors Joan and Associates(Old Earl May):

Taste (old Cheeseburger Cheeseburger)
Brad
City Council

Julian's Tex-Mex Restaurant (132 and dodge)

Post by Brad »

Julian's Tex-Mex Restaurant (132 and dodge)

A new Restaurant is looking to get a liquor License in the Linden Market Shopping Center.

Anyone have any details?
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Julian's Tex-Mex Restaurant (132 and dodge)

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:Julian's Tex-Mex Restaurant (132 and dodge)

A new Restaurant is looking to get a liquor License in the Linden Market Shopping Center.

Anyone have any details?
Boy, that sounds suspiciously like Julio's Tex-Mex restaurants.  Sounds like a lawsuit is waiting in the wings.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Tex-Mex

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10480457
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A new independent Tex-Mex eatery has opened in the former Cafe DiCoppia at 721 N. 132nd St. (in Linden Market, near 132nd Street and West Dodge Road).

Julian's Tex Mex Restaurant is owned by Mahesh Shinde and executive chef Anthony Cavazos. Both have previous restaurant experience, but this is their first joint venture.
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:"With all due respect to Nebraska," Cavazos said, "I haven't tasted true Tex-Mex here."

Cavazos said Tex-Mex differs from Mexican in its heavier use of meats, its less-bitingly-hot flavor profile and its sauces — such as the chile con carne, chili con queso, guacamole, and Spanish and sour cream sauces he makes at Julian's.

The menu ranges from fajitas to fish, steaks and carne asade
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I noticed that place on my trip in to bleed Saturday.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Review: Julian's offers more than heat

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10511987
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Were it not for the mariachi-style music playing in the bar or the sign over the door, you might mistake Julian's Tex Mex Restaurant for a contemporary bistro.

In a refreshing change of pace, the décor isn't Tex-Mexy: There's nothing citrus-colored in sight.

Dark purple, plum and eggplant dominate. Metallic artwork, abstract paintings, recessed lighting, curved drop ceilings and coordinated carpet and upholstery - much of it held over from the former Café Di Coppia - give it a modern hotel-lobby feel.

Ah, but the food speaks for itself.
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:This pretty plate - one shrimp enchilada with green tomatillo sauce, one chicken enchilada with white sour cream-poblano sauce and one ground beef enchilada with sunset-colored Spanish sauce - is a great way to sample three of the restaurant's signature sauces.

None is fiery hot. All are intriguing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090821/E ... /708219888
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:One of Omaha's oldest Tex-Mex restaurants is apparently hotter than a jalapeño over a relatively new competitor's name.

According to court records, Julio's wants Julian's Tex-Mex Restaurant to change its name and pay at least $300,000 in damages for alleged trademark infringement.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Nebraska in March, attorneys for Julio's contend that the owners of Julian's conspired to confuse and usurp Julio's clientele with their choice of business name and logo. Attorneys for Julian's denied the allegations.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Well Native sure called that one.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Bosco55David wrote:Well Native sure called that one.
Damm. I got one right!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

nativeomahan wrote:
Bosco55David wrote:Well Native sure called that one.
Damm. I got one right!
I think someone should buy you a beer!
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Julian's is now AC's Tex-Mex.  Ate there this weekend.  Excellent service (although the place was almost empty) and pretty good food.  I think La Mesa is better, with bigger portions.  The margarita though....arguably the best I have ever had.  No fake pre-mix taste.  It tasted like fresh squeezed key limes.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Linden Market (formerly Westridge Shopping Center)

Post by Coyote »

Looks like another Mexican Restaurant in town, Agave Azteca will take the bay formerly occupied by The Egg and I, China Road, and other ventures (wasn't that bay an orthopedics or a prosthetics place also?), that end of Linden has had so many tenants I need a scorecard to keep up.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Coyote wrote:Looks like another Mexican Restaurant in town, Agave Azteca will take the bay formerly occupied by The Egg and I, China Road, and other ventures (wasn't that bay an orthopedics or a prosthetics place also?), that end of Linden has had so many tenants I need a scorecard to keep up.
It was once a Da Vinci's and I believe it was originally a Caniglia's. For whatever reason, restaurants just cannot make it in that spot.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Too far from the entrances for impulse diners. And for Pete's sake, does Omaha really need another mexican place? May they go down in flames and serve as a learning for restauranteurs in Omaha. No more freaking Mexican!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

bigredmed wrote:Too far from the entrances for impulse diners.  And for Pete's sake, does Omaha really need another mexican place?  May they go down in flames and serve as a learning for restauranteurs in Omaha.  No more freaking Mexican!
The layout is bad and really there just aren't a lot of people living around 132nd and dodge. Farm land business parks and neighborhoods with pretty big lots.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

We used to get dinner to go from Da Vincis. My wife laughed at me when I came home one night and said they had closed and I couldn't figure out why. "I don't understand why they closed. You could always get right in. There was never a line."
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

NovakOmaha wrote:We used to get dinner to go from Da Vincis.  My wife laughed at me when I came home one night and said they had closed and I couldn't figure out why.  "I don't understand why they closed.  You could always get right in. There was never a line."
I have the same fear about my favorite places with no waiting.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

My understanding was that Davinci's closed because they had trouble hiring people, though I imagine that if business was better, they'd have found a way.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Was Davincis the pizza place back in the nook? Whatever place that was might have closed because the food stunk and the atmosphere was terrible. Tried it last summer I think cause we had a coupon and wish we hadn't.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

cdub wrote:Was Davincis the pizza place back in the nook?  Whatever place that was might have closed because the food stunk and the atmosphere was terrible.  Tried it last summer I think cause we had a coupon and wish we hadn't.
I think you remember Brushi which is in the NE corner of the strip mall, which is another Bay of Doom. I don't know how many restaurants have tried this spot, I remember Spanna, Julian's Tex Mex, AC's Tex Mex, Puerto Vallarta, was Cafe DiCoppia West or Donia here also...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Bruschi is still there with a more upscale menu. Taxis is still busier. And its harder to get to.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cdub wrote:Was Davincis the pizza place back in the nook?  Whatever place that was might have closed because the food stunk and the atmosphere was terrible.  Tried it last summer I think cause we had a coupon and wish we hadn't.

Davinci's has not been in that center for years. At least 10 I believe. Still thriving in Lincoln though. When we go down to Lincoln for hockey we usually eat at the one on 27th on the way back.

Greg