Papillion Super Walmart news

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Papillion Super Walmart news

Post by eomaha »

Perhaps a last chance for residents living near 72nd and Giles to influence this proposed project.

World Herald story: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1045042
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Papillion residents win a battle... will they win the war?

200 people jammed city hall, obviously motivating the Papillion Planning Commission to vote against zoning changes to allow the Super Walmart at 72nd and Giles. The city council still has the final say.

World Herald story: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1046236
Rob
Home Owners Association

Post by Rob »

Jeff-

I had the opportunity to attend the previous meeting last week (St. Patrick's Day) at Papillion-LaVista High School. The World-Herald had a passing mention of the meeting in the paper. The developer (along with others including Papillion's mayor) were in attendance. That meeting drew at least 200 people from the surrounding communities and was at times quite heated.

A petition was circulated to stop the Walmart and residents of Hickory Estates have hired an attorney to challenge the city...I believe regarding the issue of the current master plan for this property.

The developer showed renderings of the center (Sorry...I did not have a camera)...but the development did incorporate new design elements now required by the city of Papillion...ie enhanced landscaping, trees, berms, downcast lighting, and the use of brick, stone and stucco for the exterior of the development.

I attended as my parents live across the street and were concerned about traffic and noise, trash, etc. and of course their property values. I was actually shocked and amazed that a majority of residents were opposed to the development due to the fact that it would shift the retail focus from 84th to 72nd Street which would negatively affect stores on 84th. Already the Albertson's is closed and if the new Wal-Mart is built on 72nd the one on 84th would close...leaving more vacant stores.

The residents do have the ability to sway this development. They have already formed volunteer's going throughout the city door-to-door in order to get all city council members on their side.

We'll see...its a nice development ... on the wrong street.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm obviously no developer, but I can't imagine they would loose too much by building on 370... and would actually stand to gain in the coming years down the road with residential development continuing to hum along in Sarpy (unless they're thinking they'll just abandon another box come that time!).

If a positive comes out of this... even more so than in the case of the most recent Omaha Walmarts (which was influenced more by city planners than residents) ... it will be that the developer may go the extra distance on making the project a little more aesthetically pleasing as you say.