Children's Nebraska (84th and Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Children's Nebraska (84th and Dodge)

Post by Brad »

Children's Hospital Expanding

Does anyone know about the expansion of Children's Hospital?  The owner of Arthur's (Now Closed) said on Grow Omaha that They closed to allow Children's to take the building and expand.
Last edited by Brad on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the1wags
County Board

Re: Children's Nebraska (84th and Dodge)

Post by the1wags »

News to me. If it ends up being a substantial addition, it could push a large building right up along Dodge which would be pretty cool.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Aside from the swathe of parking surrounding and now including the former theatre space... I really like the Indian Hills area.  If the 'Crossroads' emerges as an urban district some day as has been proposed, I think Indian Hills will eventually become Omaha's 'Uptown'.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The hospital will get closer to Dodge but not much of the current proposal will be right along the sidewalk.  It should be an improvement to what is there at any rate.  The consolidation and elimination of driveway accesses will be nice.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

They better not be thinking about taking my Sakura Bana/Ichiban away from me.  You think I've gone on a rage rant on here before...  look out if that happens.  :)

-Big E
Stable genius.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Big E wrote:They better not be thinking about taking my Sakura Bana/Ichiban away from me.  You think I've gone on a rage rant on here before...  look out if that happens.  :)

-Big E
They're supposedly taking that down, too. Sorry!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Yeah, its toast but apparently looking to relocate.  Most everything on that side of the street is a goner.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Well with the addition of this thread:  http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5885  It looks like we will be seeing some big plans announced soon.  I hope they include landscaping along Dodge Street.

I REALLY hope that dosn't hurt Sakura Bana/Ichiban.  Its my second favorite Sushi Place in town.  I just remember places like DiCopia closing after being relocated by the "big guy"
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Sakura Bana is moving to 73rd and Dodge, according to that other thread.

Good thing. Closer to UNO the better
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

"Children's Hospital intends to raze several buildings near 84th Street and West Dodge Road, possibly as early as this spring, to make way for future expansion."

Link to the full World Herald article.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... nd=5159299
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Didn't that Sakura Bana building used to be a movie theatre located across the street?
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

It was previously an IHOP.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Children's Hospital considers expansion

Omaha World Herald wrote:Children's Hospital told a bond rating agency that it might issue bonds this year to help build a $50 million outpatient care building. Fitch Ratings said Children's Hospital expects to raise $20 million by issuing bonds in the first half of 2007 that would go toward "a new $50 million ambulatory pediatric clinical building." Perkins said the hospital and its board did not have a firm plan about what would be built or when construction might begin. He said outpatient subspecialty clinics and parking were the most likely projects.

Three buildings that Children's Hospital might demolish were long home to Arthur's Lounge, which closed in November; Lewis Art Gallery and Personal Threads Boutique, which have leases set to expire in April or May; Davidson's Furniture Showcase, which in January announced plans to close this spring; and Sakura Bana restaurant, which plans to relocate about 10 blocks east by June.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Final purchase clears way for Children's Hospital to expand
BY NICHOLE AKSAMIT
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

"Lewis Art Gallery and Personal Threads Boutique owner Julie Wynn said Tuesday that she sold her property at 8023 West Dodge Road to Children's Hospital and will move her businesses to a new location nearby by mid-October."

"The tiny frame shop and parking lot were the last pieces in the expansion puzzle for Children's Hospital, which now has acquired a string of five properties between its signature hospital and West Dodge Road."

Link to the full Omaha World Herald article.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2342941
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I wonder what they've got in mind for an expansion.

I hope it's visionary, like mid-rise office buildings with doctors offices/labs etc, and ground floor retail facing Dodge St. and 84th St.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Not according to the pic in the paper.  It looks to be a 2 story building that looks nice but in no way blends with the existing Children's hospital.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The pic in the paper was some new building near 83rd and Cass where the last tenant who sold to Children's will be relocating.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Just have that idiot that owns O Casual Fine Dining to get out of the way. He had to have known this was in the works when he bought Loco's from the previous owner, it was pretty much common knowledge at that point in time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Harpoon wrote:Just have that idiot that owns O Casual Fine Dining to get out of the way. He had to have known this was in the works when he bought Loco's from the previous owner, it was pretty much common knowledge at that point in time.
I have heard from several people that "O Casual Fine Dining" is a Great place to eat.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

It may be a fine place to eat (no pun intended), but he is the only tenant that stands in the way of progress. The guy needs to move his restaurant somewhere else like Sakura Bana is doing[/center]
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

davidsons furniture is completely surrounded by a chain link fence now. i didnt see any signs up, but maybe this is the start of them tearing it down?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Harpoon wrote:It may be a fine place to eat (no pun intended), but he is the only tenant that stands in the way of progress. The guy needs to move his restaurant somewhere else like Sakura Bana is doing[/center]
Why?  Why does a private citizen "need to move his restaurant somewhere else"?  The government is not seeking to use eminent domain in this situation.  The owner has a legal, ongoing business, successful where he is.  He has sunk a lot of money into his operation and has a long term lease.  I hope he stays put.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

davidsons is starting to come down

UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

and gone

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The business are moving out fast now, it looks like Sushi Ichiban is moved now also.
pseudoprometheus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by pseudoprometheus »

Aw, Davisons is gone?  I kind of liked the look of that building ... or at least parts of it.  Kind of retro-looking, and all that.  Oh well, hopefully Childrens' will put up something that's worthwhile from an architectural viewpoint.  :yes:
... wait, what?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is a big fence around the Ichiban property noy
wurmm
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wurmm »

The Ichiban property is now almost completely demolished.  So much for the Int'l House of Sushi!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I will be going by there in a few hours, I will snap some pics.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Omaha's last original IHOP building gone.  Kind of sad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Children's Hospital $55 million expansion plans take shape

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10067333
Children's Hospital will begin construction in January on its first major expansion since 2000: an attached five-story, $55 million outpatient care building.

The project will add 364 parking stalls, direct access to and from eastbound West Dodge Road, and 135,000 square feet of what hospital executives described Thursday as much-needed space for existing and new specialty clinics.

"We are continuing to see more demand within the community, the state and also within the region for our services," said Gary Perkins, the hospital's president and chief executive officer.

The project also stands to dramatically change the look of 84th Street and West Dodge Road.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

This is great. I have a feeling eventually the area east of the hospital will be used for a parking structure rather than a lot. And no there should not be retail on the ground level especially the West Dodge side. The area isn't even close to inviting for pedestrians so no reason we should pretend that it is. I have a feeling the bank will be selling out soon as well. Although, maybe not. The land there may be too narrow given the required building set backs. Ok enough writing.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Oh, and Fuhrer of the Thread Reich, don't you think no that this is a development issue it should be relocated to the Suburban section? Thanks.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow... between 80 Dodge and the Children's expansion... this area is going to be quite the impressive suburban corridor.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Twiztid1 wrote:I work across the street from Childrens.  I was looking at the property today, and I just can't believe there is that much room.  The Ichiban property is completely leveled, and it still doesn't look like there's much room there.
Image  Image
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Stargazer wrote:Wow... between 80 Dodge and the Children's expansion... this area is going to be quite the impressive suburban corridor.
Thankfully, I have always thought this corridor was one of the ugliest in the city, too many billboards, large signs, and mismatched buildings.  Good to see this is changing.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

What do you suppose the open space left fronting "West Dodge Road" will be used for?