Children's Nebraska (84th and Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Children's Hospital Expanding (84th and Dodge)

Post by MTO »

Looks like it.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Impressive!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:I was wondering when this would be announced, the plans went to the Planning Board the other day...
choke wrote:Anyone know who the Hubbards are and what role they play in Omaha?
The Theodore F & Claire M Hubbard Family Foundation was founded in 1996 after Dr. Hubbard passed away. He received an MD from UNL in 1946 and after working at the Mayo clinic, moved back to Omaha were Dr. Hubbard became a pioneer in Cardiology (Dr. Hubbard was a member of the first cardiovascular surgical team in Omaha and also perfected dry-field heart surgery, a process that uses a machine to perform the functions of a patients heart and lungs so doctors may complete heart operations free of blood.)

They formed a $25M endowment which has given primarily for education and human services in the past such as the University of Nebraska Medical Center (The Hubbard Family Foundation has made a gift to the University of Nebraska Foundation to establish two endowed chairs in the College of Medicine at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The Theodore F. Hubbard, M.D. Chair of Cardiology and the Theodore F. Hubbard, M.D. Chair of Cardiovascular Research) University of Nebraska–Lincoln, University of Nebraska State Museum and its branch museum at Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park, and University of Nebraska at Omaha. The foundation has also provided support to Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, among other Nebraska organizations.
Thanks for the history. Now I know the name behind the Gorilla and Orangutan exhibits at the zoo!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If only that condo project had come through this area would really be something to see!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:Thanks for the history. Now I know the name behind the Gorilla and Orangutan exhibits at the zoo!
No problem. His name is huge at Nebraska Medicine. I worked there a few years after he passed, and everyone had stories about him.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to the county assessor's site, Children's currently does NOT own wither the bank or the BP.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:According to the county assessor's site, Children's currently does NOT own wither the bank or the BP.
How many days behind can that site get... Between change of ownership and reporting that fact?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:According to the county assessor's site, Children's currently does NOT own wither the bank or the BP.
How many days behind can that site get... Between change of ownership and reporting that fact?
No sure, but just because its not a recorded sale doesn't mean they don't have an agreement or a signed contract.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
No sure, but just because its not a recorded sale doesn't mean they don't have an agreement or a signed contract.
Exactly. Same with Turner Park East LLC
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Another rendering.
I am wondering if the sky-walk that connect CHMS to NMH was left out of the rendering, or if they really are planning to remove it. CHMS currently still occupies space in north tower of NMH.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Glad to see the progress being made by Children's.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

bargainhunter wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Another rendering.
I am wondering if the sky-walk that connect CHMS to NMH was left out of the rendering, or if they really are planning to remove it. CHMS currently still occupies space in north tower of NMH.
Don't know if they will remove it, but CHMC is planning on moving out of the north tower of NMH as they want the space for NMH needs.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The Children's employees have to park and walk all the way from the southern portion of Methodists property. They are going to love this new parking ramp with a covered walk-way right next door to their hospital.
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:The Children's employees have to park and walk all the way from the southern portion of Methodists property. They are going to love this new parking ramp with a covered walk-way right next door to their hospital.
Some actually have to park as far as Crossroads currently, and then ride shuttles in.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Per Emily Nohr / World-Herald Bureau:
Alarm raised over effect of cuts on Medicaid providers
Dr. Richard Azizkhan, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center's president and chief executive officer, said the 3 percent Medicaid cut would “greatly impact” his hospital’s ability to grow and expand to meet the needs of the 2 million children that live within the hospital’s 250-mile radius.

Forty-five percent of the hospital’s patients last year were on Medicaid, up from 43.5 percent in 2015, he said.
http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/a ... 16563.html
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Lots of medicaid patients at CHMC and UNMC. We have no choice but to cut our state budget. We have made cuts other places. Unless we want to act like mature adults who are capable of making and sticking to tough choices, we will have these kind of things over and over again.

We have patients who are high cost patients and we do nothing to really lower their cost. We have means of doing stuff to lower cost, but it would mean telling some parent that their kid won't get every thing, or perhaps won't get something. It will mean that old people will have to spend their own assets to care for themselves and this will be met with screams. We will then back down and |expletive| about Pete Ricketts.

We have drugs that we buy in the commercial market instead of through the state where scale can help us. There are a fair number of big dollar drugs that we could lower the cost of.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

bigredmed wrote: We have patients who are high cost patients and we do nothing to really lower their cost. We have means of doing stuff to lower cost, but it would mean telling some parent that their kid won't get every thing, or perhaps won't get something. It will mean that old people will have to spend their own assets to care for themselves and this will be met with screams. We will then back down and |expletive| about Pete Ricketts.

We have drugs that we buy in the commercial market instead of through the state where scale can help us. There are a fair number of big dollar drugs that we could lower the cost of.
The changes you suggest are necessary and practical, but sadly too much of a political nonstarter to happen (neither party will embrace them). I fear for the next few years as we take drastic measures while avoiding the obvious solutions.

In the end - Children's, UNMC, CHI will all be fine as entities. The insurers and drug companies will be laughing at us from their mountains of cash. As for the patients...we will see.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I don't see the new development. Where is it on the OP's photo?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I don't see the new development. Where is it on the OP's photo?

Well. if Medicaid gets cut, there probably won't be any new development. I wonder if Childrens will still buy HDR's office when they move out?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I don't see the new development. Where is it on the OP's photo?
Ha, weird. In my old age I didn't see that we are on page 4. I thought the post at the top of this page was the OP.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

choke wrote:

Well. if Medicaid gets cut, there probably won't be any new development. I wonder if Childrens will still buy HDR's office when they move out?
They already own it.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Anytime you bring up the free market as a potential health care solution, people immediately scream that free markets are inhumane and accuse you of wanting rich people to have better health care.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

jessep28 wrote:Anytime you bring up the free market as a potential health care solution, people immediately scream that free markets are inhumane and accuse you of wanting rich people to have better health care.
The only problem with the free market approach is that in a free market some stuff doesn't get covered or provided. The Friday night special at the orthopedic hospital is in west Omaha for a reason. Well insured teenagers with blown out ACLs are a profit center. Teenagers with Medicaid are not.

My hemophilia patients can burn through $100k in a month just in prophylactic factor. Then they want to play soccer that will add $25k each month assuming they don't get hurt. In a free market some of these kids will get this and others won't.

Society has never decided how cool they are with either the limit setting or the idea that little Billy gets to have very expensive healthy joints while Steve gets a wheelchair for his 21st birthday.

The free market has made their care possible, but has done so at a profit margin that is not sustainable. When the profit margin is not there, the treatments aren't there. We saw this with hemophilia B. Many fewer patients and they were left with plasma derived factor when hemophilia A patients were two generations into recombinant products.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Have they started this? They fenced off the parking lot to the south and are now tearing out the wall around the ACs.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Planning Agenda Waiver asking for a height waiver. Mentions 176 feet.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:Planning Agenda Waiver asking for a height waiver. Mentions 176 feet.
About the height of the Omaha National Bank building, for reference
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

iamjacobm wrote:Planning Agenda Waiver asking for a height waiver. Mentions 176 feet.
UNO Engineering students will have access to the architectural plans of the addition as part of their graduate Team Design course, which participates the AEI Design Competition. This year's competition is the Children's Hospital addition, as the 2018 AEI Conference is in Omaha.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

As merely an interested bystander, I'm sad if any of the view of the existing Children's Hospital complex is blocked by what appears to be a new plain white building (as shown in the plans). When they built the new hospital, and later the connected building, I was pleased to see a style and particularly a color that one does not often see in our area. As I told a friend, it looked like something from the Pacific Northwest and looked particularly good. Sadly, it appears the new construction will be a plain building and not in the style and color of existing Children's buildings. :(
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Heard the hold up was over the bank. I guess the bank wants too much money and Chikdren’s didn’t want to pay so the bank is staying.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

MTO wrote:Heard the hold up was over the bank. I guess the bank wants too much money and Chikdren’s didn’t want to pay so the bank is staying.
Does that mean they’ll build higher?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
MTO wrote:Heard the hold up was over the bank. I guess the bank wants too much money and Chikdren’s didn’t want to pay so the bank is staying.
Does that mean they’ll build higher?
I don’t know but the lot the bank is on was intended for the parking facility.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Base for the Tower Crane is in.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Tower crane is up.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow, I do love that hospital addition (although I'm kinda sad those two sweeping curves, and the unique design of the existing buildings will be covered). Didn't HDR design that? I've always figured an addition was planned there with that lawn right there. The complex is getting so tight & dense -- which is cool. This is the first time I've seen it.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Is there going to be another crane on the north side of the project?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:54 am Is there going to be another crane on the north side of the project?
I would assume.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:54 am Is there going to be another crane on the north side of the project?
I would assume.
They have had a couple other cranes on site, but I have not seen any sign of another tower crane?

Some interesting large pieces of steel are up.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/sponsored/childre ... b4d03.html
“Children are 20 percent of our population – and 100 percent of our future,” says Richard G. Azizkhan, M.D., Children’s president and CEO. “We’re evolving and investing today to improve the lives of children and families for generations to come.”

Perhaps the most visible sign of this growth is the construction of a new clinical facility on Children’s main campus at 84th and Dodge Streets. The Hubbard Center for Children will be a nine-story, state-of-the-art clinical facility, opening in 2021. It will house Children’s newborn and pediatric intensive care units, cardiac and cancer units, surgical space and much more. The Hubbard Center will enhance and expand care for all children – whether healthy, fragile, medically complex, critically injured or seriously ill.